Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maximum ROF, Ideas
Lilt
post Jan 7 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,032

How fast do RL guns fire if the trigger is just held down? I'm just wondering about adding more rules for full-auto fire, saying that the current rules reflect extended, aimed, bursts rather than genuinely holding the trigger down constantly.

This idea was spawned from the 4+ actions per CT thread, and goes against the idea that characters with high initiative can somehow make their guns work faster.

Essentially: Put a maximum ROF per combat round on guns with FA modes. From a bit of snooping around about modern assault rifles, most of themn seem to sit at around 600-800RPM with a few reaching 1000+. that translates into about 30-40 or possibly 50 rounds per combat turn.

My idea is to assign a maximum ROF per CT number to guns (probably 40 for FA-capible guns) and say that:
a) no character, even mr 8 actions Night-One w/MBW-4 can shoot more bullets than that per CT
b) any character, even bob the 4+1d6 kidd. can spend a whole combat turn hosing an area with true full-auto fire, but they must use a variant of the suppressive fire rules where the number of bullets allocated to an area are divided by 4 and considered present in the area for the whole combat turn (and add another +2 or so modifier)

Is that horrendously broken? I'm know I'm trying to make sense of an abstract system, but I think it can be made to work...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jan 7 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Well, since "most" Shadowrun firefights don't last much more than a minute or two, at that, you really don't need to worry about Joe Shit the Street Samurai going beyond the weapons cyclic rate, even with Wired Reflexes 3, move by Wire, or any of that jazz. I personally wouldn't sweat it too much.

As for suppressive fire, there is a difference in trained suppressive fire, and random hosing of a room, but that's what skill checks are for, and hence, the rules are already is the system, chummer.

But, that's my 2 :nuyen: .

+Quote Post
Prototype
post Jan 8 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 3,168

Minute or two? Most of our firefights last two or three combat turns, tops!!!

That's 9 seconds chummer, quick'n'dirty!

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 8 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

This is more a matter of realism concerning the way that some characters can shoot 180 rounds in 9 seconds compared to how some can fire 30. If two drones are told to saturate a corridoor with LMG fire, one being controlled by a character with 3 actions and the other with 1, does the first drone really shoot bullets 3 times as many bullets as the second one?

I am sure there are other people out there for whom this is a niggling factor, Does anyone else have house rules for saturating fire? Any chance of a word from someone who's fired fully automatic weaponary?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 8 2004, 01:20 AM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Yes I tackled this subject before. The most logical thing I could come up with was ROF for a Combat Turn, divided up evenly per round, like the running rules. But there where to many issues and I judged it wasn't worth it. Feel free to take a shot (pun intended) at it, though.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 8 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Two. Not more than two.

~J, channelling gully dwarf.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 8 2004, 02:43 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Backgammon)
Yes I tackled this subject before. The most logical thing I could come up with was ROF for a Combat Turn, divided up evenly per round, like the running rules. But there where to many issues and I judged it wasn't worth it.

I agree, except on the issues. ;)

Real-life SMGs, ARs, LMGs and MMGs generally have cyclic RoFs between 600rpm and 1000rpm, with SMGs and LMGs sometimes as high as 1200rpm, just like you said. That's between 3 and 6 actions of FA fire. Or, in more sensible terms, between 30 and 60 rounds per CT, divided evenly between the attacker's phases. That's how it's done in my games, and so far there've been no issues.

If a guy with actions in only 1 init pass attacks someone with 3 actions with a SMG on FA and fires the full amount, he will roll for the attacks separately in all the three init passes, at the point where he would act if he did have actions in that pass. Recoil is capped at +7, although in a game where all those moronic RC bonuses like Shock Pads and GV4s are allowed +10 is better.

All autofire is divided into bursts of 1/10th the FA rate, divided by the amount of actions the character firing has, or 3, whichever is higher. An init 5 guy with a 1200rpm gun fires in bursts of 6, 10 times in a row if none of the combatants have 11+ inits. An init 41 guy with a 600rpm gun fires 2 bursts of 3 in every init pass when going FA.

[Edit]And an init 5 guy with a 4000rpm minigun fires 10 bursts of 20 if no one has more than 1 action. Don't piss off people with miniguns.[/Edit]

QUOTE (The Grifter)
Well, since "most" Shadowrun firefights don't last much more than a minute or two, at that, you really don't need to worry about Joe Shit the Street Samurai going beyond the weapons cyclic rate, even with Wired Reflexes 3, move by Wire, or any of that jazz.

He goes over the cyclic rate if he fires too much in even one of his actions. You don't need to fire a weapon for a full minute to get to the cyclic rate of fire...

QUOTE (Lilt)
Any chance of a word from someone who's fired fully automatic weaponary?

Yay! I guess I'm the first here. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 8 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Perhaps it's better to cap the actual used modifier at +7 or +10 rather than the recoil itself. That way someone who fires 20 rounds with a Gas Vent IV and Shock Pads still only has a TN of 11 or 14 before other modifiers (20-5=15, brought down to highest TN mod used) while someone who fired 10 shots would only be getting 5 added either way.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 8 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

I've put the cap in for recoil on purpose. A well supported LMG is far easier to be kept under control even when firing cyclically for a long time than an AR is even if the latter is only fired for ~10 times cyclically. Recoil Compensation should factor in the maximum recoil modifier. I forgot to mention that there's an additional 3 x Recoil Modifier to max recoil at Long and Extreme. Combined with the fact that it's damn near impossible to get RC over 5 in my games, it balances out quite well.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 8 2004, 03:16 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Fair enough.

~J

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jan 8 2004, 03:25 AM
Post #11

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

Here. Been there for ages.

+Quote Post
Link
post Jan 8 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

I am sure there are other people out there for whom this is a niggling factor, Does anyone else have house rules for saturating fire?

We use the rules for suppressing fire in the Cannon Companion and allow those so firing to continue in initiative passes in which they don't have an action. This gives everyone the same ROF effectively.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 8 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

OK... That sounds good. I'm tempted to try AE's system next time I run a game.

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jan 8 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Austere-I don't know about you, but I'm a former Marine. I was a gunner on an M1A1, and I can tell you, just because a guy is faster than me doesn't mean he can make the gun itself fire faster than me. Maybe with a semi-auto, but not a full automatic. I've fired more machineguns in my life than I've cared to. So, let the voice of experience speak here. The rules are already in the game. Use them. Adding more rules bogs down play, and it turns into "roll-playing", not role-playing. In essence, this equals a boring game to players who don't know alot about guns, because they have to wait while their gun nut GM has to cunsult various tables about cyclic rates, caliber, and other things. It is boring.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 8 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

If the players themselves are all gun nuts, though, it works out fine.

~J

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jan 8 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

*sigh*

Why am I reminded of "Bowling For Columbine"?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 8 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Gun nuts do not gun violence make, especially the kinds like me who haven't fired a gun since they were too young to hit anything.

~J

+Quote Post
The Burning One
post Jan 8 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 2,067

I've never viewed it as a faster person being able to fire more rounds from a gun than a slower person using the same gun. Instead I've always seen it as a faster person can fire more rounds accurately than a slower person using the same weapon. Is it a perfect explanation? Of course not, it's there for game balance and to put a numerical value to something that really doesn't lend itself to a numerical comparison.

Still if you're desperate for a numeric free example consider the following:

Your average Street Sam is facing down a pair of Gangers. Being a good little Sammy he's running around with wired up reflexes that make him faster than nature ever intended anything to be.

Nameless Meat Target #1 (The first ganger) has been living on the streets for the better part of his life. He's got reflexes honed by a good number streetside shootouts that are on par with a professional athlete.

Nameless Meat Target #2 (The second ganger) is a child of a middle class family who joined the gang to feel tough. He's led a relatively sheltered existence and while he's been in a shootout or two he's also a bit too fond of Soy Foods and is carrying some extra body mass that slows him down a bit.

For whatever reason these three have decided that they're going to shoot at each other using Generic SMG #1 which fires in FA mode only.

As combat starts the Sammy lines up a shot with Meat Target #2 and holds down the trigger kicking out a hail of lead that would do an Ingram proud. Not surprisingly the barrel starts to kick around like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Noticing the barrel is beginning to pull up and right he immediately corrects for the unwanted movement and begins walking the spray of lead across the two gangers. Meat Target #2 drops in an unpleasant spray of innards and bodily fluid.

As he does so Meat Target #1 opens up, also firing on fully automatic. When he does the barrel's sudden jump knocks him off target for a moment. He corrects almost immediately but a number of rounds impact into the dilapidated front of the abandoned building behind the Sammy before he gets it back on target. Keeping his attention focused on his target there he sweeps the weapon across his target and catches our poor Sammy in the chest with a number of rounds.

As our Sammy gets hit the force of the rounds impacting with his bullet proof attire knocks him off balance and the still firing weapon begins to wander off its intended path. Again reacting with a speed that defies logic the Sammy corrects for the movement and only two or three rounds go awry before fire from the SMG turns Meat Target #1 into a statistic.

Hmm that didn't really explain much, let's try that short form. You could always look at it and say that when someone fires a weapon on fully automatic it always fires at it's maximum RoF for the three seconds that a combat round takes. So you've got a SMG that fires 800 Rounds per minute or roughly 40 bullets per combat round (Yeah the numbers are almost guaranteed to be off but for the sake of our example I'm calling for willing suspension of disbelief for simplicities sake).

So Ganger, Sammy and Combat Illiterate Exec all fire 40 rounds every 3 seconds.

Your Sammy with the godly reflexes notices and is able to compensate for target movement, recoil and situational modifies almost the nanosecond they happen. Thus out of the 40 rounds fired he manages to connect with 30 of them.

Your ganger is no slouch in the combat department either but he doesn't have the ware to bring him up to the level of our Sammy. As such while he also corrects for target movement, recoil and situational modifiers but it takes him a moment each time causing more rounds to go astray. In the end out of the 40 rounds fired only 20 of them hit.

Then you have your combat illiterate exec. He's slotted a wiz activesoft that tells him all there is to know about firing a SMG but he's horribly out of shape from living the soft life for so long. The chip tells him how to correct for target movement, recoil and situational modifiers but his meat body just can't keep up with the rate at which they're occurring. He lands a few good hits but most of the rounds end up doing nothing more than chewing up the scenery. Out of the 40 rounds he fired only 10 of them hit the target.

Now every one of our people there fired the same 40 rounds from the same weapon but the ones with better reflexes and reactions were able to land more rounds on target because they were able to react to situational changes faster than the slower individuals.

So I guess you could go out and invent maximum RoFs for all the weapons capable of FA fire and simply deduct that from the ammo capacity each time they use FA in a combat round but I'd still argue that only people with exceptional reflexes and solid skill would be able to make certain that a good percentage of those rounds hit.

Instead of thinking of it as the maximum number of rounds a weapon can fire think of it as the maximum number of rounds the character can fire with any chance of hitting.

Just a thought,

TBO

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Jan 8 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #19

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (The Grifter)
Austere-I don't know about you, but I'm a former Marine. <snip> So, let the voice of experience speak here.

Aus was in the military as well (of Finland), and has had plenty of experience of his own firing automatic weapons, from rifles to heavy machine guns (at least, that's all I've picked up on). As far as small arms are concerned, I'm sure he's had as much experience as you have.

I've never been in the military. Even so, I've probably had more experience firing automatic weapons than the vast majority of people who post on these forums, even those who have been in the military. What difference does any of that make? Not much when it comes to trying to make what you know work in a game system like Shadowrun's. At that point, it's all subjective.

The rules are already in the game. Use them. Adding more rules bogs down play, and it turns into "roll-playing", not role-playing. In essence, this equals a boring game to players who don't know alot about guns, because they have to wait while their gun nut GM has to cunsult various tables about cyclic rates, caliber, and other things. It is boring.

That's a nice observation and you certainly are entitled to your opinion, but I'm afraid that it is not absolutely true. More rules definitely can lead to cumbersome game, particularly if the players are inexperienced. But if everyone has their shit together, new rules, including these, can be used pretty seamlessly.

Regardless, the reason we're bringing this up is because the reality of ROF is not reflected in the rules of the game. You may be comfortable with rules the way they are. More power to you. Have fun. But other people are not, and they will change the rules to suit themselves. Aus's example is just one way of doing that. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple.

Why am I reminded of "Bowling For Columbine"?

I don't know. Why am I reminded of "Gomer Pyle"?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 8 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Raygun)
Aus was in the military as well (of Finland) [...]

And, funnily enough, I was also in what passes as the "Marines" around here... Although that isn't saying much. Also, since I only served 9 months, and the Finnish Defense Forces are a bit stingy when it comes to letting privates practice shooting, someone who has served in the USMC has probably shot a lot more weapons than me. But I've certainly fired a few, in all kinds of modes of fire, and more times than I can remember.

QUOTE (The Grifter)
Adding more rules bogs down play, and it turns into "roll-playing", not role-playing. In essence, this equals a boring game to players who don't know alot about guns, because they have to wait while their gun nut GM has to cunsult various tables about cyclic rates, caliber, and other things. It is boring.

What Raygun said. Also, all the players have the neccessary data (calibers, ammo, ranges, penetration, modes and rate of fire) on the papers where their guns are, and I know 99% of that stuff by heart anyway. I've never had to consult a table concerning that stuff for more than 3 seconds in any of our games, and even that only happens maybe once every 20 CTs.

The Burning One:
I know someone without enhanced reflexes can fire more than 10 rounds in 3 seconds with a decent chance of hitting something. In fact, I know I can fire ~20-30, and that'd be more if the sergeants and lieutenants hadn't been of the opinion that going cyclic for 2 seconds or more is a waste of ammo -- personally I think anything that looks and feels good isn't a waste of ammo, at least not in a training situation.

So even though I have thought of it as the maximum number of rounds someone can fire in a CT with a chance of hitting, it doesn't change my view much. I think a really good shooter with a low-recoil weapon should be capable of firing cyclically with a decent chance of hitting things, regardless of the level of wiring in his body. Hence my house rules.

Lilt:
Glad to be of assistance. With the thousands of times you write house rules up on the forums, it feels nice when someone thinks they are ok. :)

QUOTE (Raygun)
Why am I reminded of "Gomer Pyle"?

Leonard Lawrence is my favorite movie character of all time!

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jan 9 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Okay, I thought the topic here was on maximum rate of fire for weapons, not maximum accurate rate of fire. That's entirely different.

Raygun-
I don't know. Why am I reminded of "Gomer Pyle"?

Funny. Don't quit your day job.

Aus was in the military as well (of Finland), and has had plenty of experience of his own firing automatic weapons, from rifles to heavy machine guns (at least, that's all I've picked up on). As far as small arms are concerned, I'm sure he's had as much experience as you have.

9 months, vs. 4 years, not to mention a combat tour in Iraq? I don't think so. But, that's neither here nor there.

Regardless, the reason we're bringing this up is because the reality of ROF is not reflected in the rules of the game.

Maybe I didn't read it right, but I thought that's what the modifiers for recoil compensation were all about. Granted, it is based on the weapon itself, and increases the target number. But, to those with a higher Firearms skill (read:better trained), this number doesn't effect them much. Am I making sense here?

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Jan 9 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

don't know. Why am I reminded of "Gomer Pyle"?

play nice guys.

or do it "the old navy way. first one to die, loses!"
(hot shots part deux :D )

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 9 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #23

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i read the rules like this:

a wired sam can spray, check target, re-aim and spray again in the time it takes some streetpunk to spray and check if target is realy down.

basicly the streetpunk isnt pushing the guns ROF but the sammie may as he have higher ractions. information travels faster, subjective time slows down, reactions are more accurate, that is the basis for wired reflexes, it does not affect your movementspeed!

tell me whatever you like about fps mods but the more reallistic ones (the ones that use barrelclimb) have shown me that the most effective fire on FA is long burst, check and long burst again, continous fire will have you killing birds in no time flat. and that is exactly what both the ganger and the sammie is doing, only that the sammie can do it faster :)

only time you do something diffrent is with the spray and pray method, fill the air with lead and hope someone walk into it. and that is best done with a lmg or bigger with a bipod or tripod deployed. and that is when you break out the cover fire rules of CC :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 9 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Remember, nearly all FPSs underestimate the damage a few bullets can do.

~J

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Jan 9 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

true. and they over estimate the body's ability to deal with and heal that damage.

i've never been shot, but i imagine it'd be pretty hard to function after taking a few shots to the chest area.

they are games about heroes of (usually) epic abilities, but still...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.