IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 20th Anniversary Book, Got it? Like it? Hate it?
Tashiro
post Mar 12 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

Just picked up the new PDF, already skimmed the book. I have to say, I find it quite nice. Fairly neat and tidy, I'm looking forward to going through it again with a fine tooth comb soon.

A few nit picks.
1) I wish they'd do a map of more than just North America for the main rulebook.
2) No female trolls in the book that can be easily identified. :\

Other than that though, I love the new tables, showing some of the cultural aspects of the game -- drinks, clubs, media, prices.

Well done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roy Fokker
post Mar 12 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 16,642

yeah, i got the email for the pdf but i'm waiting for the hardcopy. what's the difference between the preorder print and the limited edition preorder print? they're both in full color and have the same content, right? is it just the numbering or does it come with some special cover?

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 12 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,331

Got it. love it.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 12 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Mar 12 2009, 08:01 PM) *
yeah, i got the email for the pdf but i'm waiting for the hardcopy. what's the difference between the preorder print and the limited edition preorder print? they're both in full color and have the same content, right? is it just the numbering or does it come with some special cover?

quick guess, special cover.

notice how the battlecorp shop do not have a cover photo for it, while they do for both the pdf and the non-limited version.

would not be the first time btw, each time a new major release/update of SR have come, there have been a limited edition with a special cover. thats where the BBB acronym have come from. SR1 and SR2 had a blue cover for its limited edition, and SR3 had a black cover. this all from memory btw.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 12 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

I only have the original BBB on PDF, I think I will have to pick up a hardcopy of the 20th Anniversary. I'm assuming that it has all the errata in it.

+Quote Post
piotrus
post Mar 12 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 16,869

I am confused, starting with the fact that the @ I got had a broken link to prgdrivethrough site. How many editions are there? Is this an offer for the pdf-only, or for both the pdf and the printed book? The not-discounted price on rpgdrive suggests printed edition (since its the same price as the battleshop pre-order of normal edition), but the description on drivethrough states its a pdf (and the discounted drivethrough shop price is equal to the price of the battlecorps pdf...). Seems like a mess from inside one of the SR books, sigh :>

I'd also like to know if the difference between the limited and normal edition is limited to just the cover (i.e. why is this more expensive then this?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (piotrus @ Mar 12 2009, 03:34 PM) *
I am confused, starting with the fact that the @ I got had a broken link to prgdrivethrough site.

DriveThru changes URLs when a product goes from staging to live, and I didn't realize that. All links to DTRPG should be correct, now.

Is this an offer for the pdf-only, or for both the pdf and the printed book?

DriveThruRPG only sells files, not print + file bundles. Anything on DriveThru from us is electronic only.

I'd also like to know if the difference between the limited and normal edition is limited to just the cover (i.e. why is this more expensive then this?

The limited edition is, well, limited. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) They've individually numbered and will have a fancy [not finalized] cover.

+Quote Post
TheForgotten
post Mar 12 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,888

How much is this going to cost and when will it be out?

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 12 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (piotrus @ Mar 12 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I am confused, starting with the fact that the @ I got had a broken link to prgdrivethrough site. How many editions are there? Is this an offer for the pdf-only, or for both the pdf and the printed book? The not-discounted price on rpgdrive suggests printed edition (since its the same price as the battleshop pre-order of normal edition), but the description on drivethrough states its a pdf (and the discounted drivethrough shop price is equal to the price of the battlecorps pdf...). Seems like a mess from inside one of the SR books, sigh :>

I have no idea what you are asking in the first part of your question... It's still Shadowrun 4th edition... You can buy the PDF version, the 'normal' version or the Limited Edition version or any combination of that.

This gets you the LE and the 'normal' version, no PDF.
This gets you the LE and the PDF.
This is the LE alone.
This is the regular edition alone.
This is the regular edtion and the PDF.
and last but not least, This is the PDF by itself.

Just for reference the 4th ed collectors edition (the original one) is bound in faux leather with silver text on the cover. It is also numbered 1-1000 (mine is six hundred and something). The contents inside are identical but the paper is slightly higher quality.

It's more expensive because it is a limited edition with a print run of 1000 copies. If you're a collector the LE is nice to have on your shelf but the text inside is identical. It costs more (I suspect) because it costs a great deal more per book to do a 1000 copy run vs. a run of 10,000 or even 5000. That and since it is designed to appeal to the collectors market people will pay more.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

QUOTE (TheForgotten @ Mar 12 2009, 03:59 PM) *
How much is this going to cost and when will it be out?

The regular edition is 45; the PDF is 25; the special print edition is 65. Various bundles are available and buying them gives you a discount on the PDF. The PDF is available now, the street date for the print edition has not been announced yet.

+Quote Post
Roy Fokker
post Mar 12 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 16,642

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 12 2009, 03:12 PM) *
would not be the first time btw, each time a new major release/update of SR have come, there have been a limited edition with a special cover. thats where the BBB acronym have come from. SR1 and SR2 had a blue cover for its limited edition, and SR3 had a black cover. this all from memory btw.

i always thought that BBB meant big black book or black bordered book, both of which apply to my standard first printing copy of SR4. what does it mean since it seems that there is a version i don't know about?

@Adam:

will the 20th anniversary edition be available through regular channels? (i.e. the FLGS) if so, how much will it cost? i'd prefer to support both catalyst and the store with each SR purchase.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Mar 12 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,847

What's the ISBN for the limited edition? My wife works at an indie book store, and I'd like her to order it for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Mar 12 2009, 04:09 PM) *
will the 20th anniversary edition be available through regular channels? (i.e. the FLGS) if so, how much will it cost? i'd prefer to support both catalyst and the store with each SR purchase.

Yes, both the regular [$45] and limited edition [$65] will be available in stores. We don't discount printed books on our online store.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Tashiro @ Mar 12 2009, 04:13 PM) *
What's the ISBN for the limited edition? My wife works at an indie book store, and I'd like her to order it for me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't have that info handy; it won't be retailers systems quite yet. Will post it when I know it.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Mar 12 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #15

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

so may I assume that all the errata from 4th edition has been corrected? I may end up ordering one.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 12 2009, 08:55 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

I, personally, want it but am hesitant to order it, seeing as how there is a fairly obvious typo on the Skill chapter preview page 2...

Edit: Something like this should really have thorough proofing before release - especially on the preview pages.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Mar 12 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 12 2009, 01:55 PM) *
I, personally, want it but am hesitant to order it, seeing as how there is a fairly obvious typo on the Skill chapter preview page 2...

Edit: Something like this should really have thorough proofing before release - especially on the preview pages.

I disagree. The preview pages should get no more attention. My hope is that its not yet off to the printers and that the DS community can give fast feedback so that the first Errata is only issued against the PDF.

Hey, I am a dreamer you know.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Mar 12 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I read through the skill preview pages twice, I could not find even a typo.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 12 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Mar 12 2009, 02:09 PM) *
i always thought that BBB meant big black book or black bordered book, both of which apply to my standard first printing copy of SR4. what does it mean since it seems that there is a version i don't know about?

BBB = Big Bad Book
This works as the Core book tends to be twice the size of all the other books out there.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 12 2009, 04:55 PM) *

It did have a very thorough proofing; moreso than any Shadowrun book Catalyst or FanPro has ever released. Proofers are only human, however, and "many eyes make bugs shallow" often holds true in the printed word.

So fill me in, and it will get fixed.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 12 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Mar 12 2009, 02:03 PM) *
I read through the skill preview pages twice, I could not find even a typo.

The number of doses (for drugs/
toxins) or kilograms (for explosives and other chemicals) produced
is determined by the equipment used, as noted on Chemistry Tools
Table.

DOSES PER KILOGRAM

I found it because the table confused the fuck out of me, so I read the description to figure out what it meant. It should be DOSES OR KILOGRAMS.

Edit:
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 12 2009, 02:58 PM) *
I disagree. The preview pages should get no more attention.

My comment was from a business standpoint - the end goal is to sell the product, which does not go over as well when the first thing you show has errors in it.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 12 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

It will appear as "DOSES / KILOGRAMS" in the print edition, matching the table from p. 79, Arsenal.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 12 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

That works.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Mar 12 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 12 2009, 02:07 PM) *
My comment was from a business standpoint - the end goal is to sell the product, which does not go over as well when the first thing you show has errors in it.

This is in fact true. I was in my idealist mode.

BlueMax
"From a Corporate standpoint we hope people eat NERPS even if they provide no nutrition"

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Mar 12 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 12 2009, 03:06 PM) *
It did have a very thorough proofing; moreso than any Shadowrun book Catalyst or FanPro has ever released. Proofers are only human, however, and "many eyes make bugs shallow" often holds true in the printed word.

I always loved Linus' Law.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.