Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Focus Will & Willpower Tests
Tunnel Rat
post Mar 13 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,700

I was going through Arsenal, and I ran into the Focus Will maneuver. It says that you gain +2 dice on willpower tests. Now, ordinarily, I would think that would be any test that used just Willpower ... but SR4 doesn't have 'willpower tests' using only willpower. Then I thought they meant attacks of will ... but they don't say 'attacks of will', nor does the errata change Focus Will.

The more I look at it, the more I tend to lean towards 'Willpower tests' meaning any time you use willpower in a test. Which has several implications.

So, what *is* a willpower test? Thoughts, opinions, official rulings? (I might even except a rant, if it answers the question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 13 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Any test that uses the Willpower attribute.

+Quote Post
Kev
post Mar 13 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,063

QUOTE (Tunnel Rat @ Mar 13 2009, 07:48 AM) *
I was going through Arsenal, and I ran into the Focus Will maneuver. It says that you gain +2 dice on willpower tests. Now, ordinarily, I would think that would be any test that used just Willpower ... but SR4 doesn't have 'willpower tests' using only willpower. Then I thought they meant attacks of will ... but they don't say 'attacks of will', nor does the errata change Focus Will.

The more I look at it, the more I tend to lean towards 'Willpower tests' meaning any time you use willpower in a test. Which has several implications.

So, what *is* a willpower test? Thoughts, opinions, official rulings? (I might even except a rant, if it answers the question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

Focus Will is an awesome martial art ability when being tortured, or being victimized by magic. Because, you know, both of those are Willpower tests since, you know, they use your Willpower attribute.

Just sayin'.

+Quote Post
Tunnel Rat
post Mar 13 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 12,700

Actually, the real implication would be that you could use focus will when resisting drain, since those tests involve willpower. So, I was expecting a rather heated exchange involving why it should/should not work and the concept of all mages being martial artists, and the like.

But it's kinda nice that Focus will is actually useful, unlike disorient.

+Quote Post
Ard3
post Mar 14 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,220

Remember that it requires Complex action to use. During combat unlikely to get used, but outside it or if you can supprise them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 09:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.