IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4.5 Poll, What do you think of the proposed changes?
Attribute Advancement Costs: Where do you like them?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 100
Guests cannot vote 
Cain
post Mar 19 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

I'm going to break this one up into a smaller poll. I've reworded things so the options are clearer and easier to read, and are much more specific.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 19 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,706

Might want to rephrase the "Leave it alone" option to something along the lines of "Leave it as pre-anniversary SR4". As written, it has a similar problem of some of my phrasing, being able to be taken as Leave as SR4A or SR4.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 19 2009, 02:06 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I voted "other" for the first option - the change really mucks up karmagen, and slows down advancement. I wouldn't mind a change, but I think they might be better off lowering skill costs than upping Attribute costs.

I voted "leave it alone" for direct combat spells. Direct combat spells have always been the workhorse spell of shadowrun, the cheap, efficient, re-usable spells that a mage could cast and usually soak the Drain. The proposed change turns them from low-Drain to ultra-high Drain and punishes, rather than rewards, the player for making extra successes. If you're going to turn one of the core mechanics of the game on its head, you should do it with a new edition, not suddenly change the rules of the universe for the current edition.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 19 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 18 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Might want to rephrase the "Leave it alone" option to something along the lines of "Leave it as pre-anniversary SR4". As written, it has a similar problem of some of my phrasing, being able to be taken as Leave as SR4A or SR4.

Good idea. Done.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Mar 19 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 18 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Yeah, what would be wrong with:

Which version of the drain from direct combat spells do you prefer?

1) SR4A (Increase by net successes)
2) SR4 (No increased drain based on successes)
3) Other

IMO It's a more neutral poll this way.

+Quote Post
crizh
post Mar 19 2009, 02:17 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 15,722

I voted for leave it alone for both.

I think Shadowrun has far more important problems than those two frankly.

And none of them is really fixable without a major re-write. We don't need a new edition at this point. We need the one we have to grow in popularity.

The new book is the perfect vehicle to do this. From everything I've heard it is a work of art and fabulous in every way except for the unexpected rules changes.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 19 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (imperialus @ Mar 18 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Yeah, what would be wrong with:

Which version of the drain from direct combat spells do you prefer?

1) SR4A (Increase by net successes)
2) SR4 (No increased drain based on successes)
3) Other

IMO It's a more neutral poll this way.

Because not everyone has read the Sr4.5 rules yet, so it's more fair to put up the actual rules.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Mar 19 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

This poll starts on the wrong foot by using the perjorative term for the rules instead of the official. Nor did it use the best possible alternate name, SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT

Do you know Push Polling?

I would have like to seen an answer on drain that said "No more divide by 2".

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Mar 19 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 18 2009, 10:38 PM) *
This poll starts on the wrong foot by using the perjorative term for the rules instead of the official. Nor did it use the best possible alternate name, SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT

Do you know Push Polling?

I would have like to seen an answer on drain that said "No more divide by 2".

That would be other.

I chose other and other.

I actually am okay with the x5 attribute cost, but without a skill cost decrease it feels incomplete.

And I want a change to the drain of spells this one just doesn't do it for me. I actually like the idea of current drain mods-3 with no 1/2 force crap as proposed by czech.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 19 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Perjorative? Where?

And what does SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT mean, anyway? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/read.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 19 2009, 04:40 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=782328

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Mar 19 2009, 05:31 AM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...4.5?!?!?!?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/question.gif)

What, has WotC bought the property? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

...geeez you go away for a few months to learn 3D CG and when you come back you find they rearranged the furniture on ya and rented your room out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Mar 19 2009, 05:33 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

4.5 is an inaccurate term. And the more I think about it, the phrasing of my poll had a few issues, but this one is, overall, at least as bad.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Mar 19 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #14

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 19 2009, 03:16 AM) *
Perjorative? Where?

The term SR4.5 - your pet name for the anniversary edition and errata. What with the connotations of D&D3.5 incident it makes this sound a whole lot more dramatic than it actually is.

I voted to keep the 5x Attributes (as in the errata). I voted "Other" for the Direct Combat spell drain. I'm okay with making the drain slightly worse on these but I don't like the way it was done for a few reasons.

EDIT: It is interesting that this poll is getting different results to the last one. The changes to Attributes remain more popular than other options combined, but now we have more people against the Direct Combat spells than for them. That could be because there has been more time for discussion and people to become aware of the issues. It could also be because people have had enough of this discussion and only the people who object to this are still bothering to read and vote. Similarly people who are fine with things may perceive the poll has just an attempt to get a second answer because the first wasn't popular and / or biased because of the 4.5 term, and therefore are not interested in reading it or don't wish to lend it validity with more numbers.

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Mar 19 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

Ditto on the poll title. Of course, this is Cain and he seems to enjoy defying the official nomenclature whenever he can. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I voted for x5 on the Attribute costs. I just that don't have a problem with it, and that's gotta be good enough.
On the drain issue, I also have no beef with the rule per se, but I voted "other", simply because the new ruling adds additional counting and math to the game and for that reason alone would to me have been better included as an optional rule.
So, when y'all go and unzip your pants again to compare "results", please take into account that "other" is always a dodgy term.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Mar 19 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I was already using Attribute*5 (or AttributeĀ²) but house-ruled so that metahumans could raise their attributes as easily as humans.
As for the spells, I'd prefer a change that doesn't add yet another exception to the rule. I don't want to end up with as many tweaks, exception and special cases as in SR3.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 19 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #17

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

I'm going to break this one up into a smaller poll. I've reworded things so the options are clearer and easier to read, and are much more specific.

Nothing like polls that are easy to read and gently point the voter towards the preferred results, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Interesting idea to lump people who do not care into Other by making the 'don't give a damn' admitting something derogatory in today's culture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And the more I think about it, the phrasing of my poll had a few issues, but this one is, overall, at least as bad.

Certainly. It has more than yours because you at least attempted to make a more or less neutral poll. Cain, on the other hand, seems intent to haver this poll produce the numbers he'd like to see.

SR4A on both counts, again, on my vote.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Mar 19 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

Character advancement is secondary in importance to me, so I'm not too fussed either way on xp costs for attribute improvements.

The spell change looks alright to me, although I don't like that mages can choose afterwards whether to apply hits or not. Might as well go the whole hog, and let them roll drain resistance before deciding how many hits they want to apply, and thus choose whether and how much drain they take at all.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 19 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #19

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

I'm going to voice the same concern as others regarding the use of "SR4.5" rather than "SR4A". The 4.5 terminology seems to be used most heavily by those who dislike the changes, and thus has a negative association at this time.

That said, the poll options don't really feel slanted toward either side to me otherwise. I approve. I will say that, while I think all of the poll options are necessary for a successful sampling, I lump the "no opinion" crowd in with pro SR4A votes (versus the combined total of the other options) when I look at the outcome of these polls. I guess I assume that if they don't care if the changes are made or not (likely because they already use, or plan to use, other rule options on their own) then they don't count as opposition.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Mar 19 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (Aristotle @ Mar 19 2009, 06:40 AM) *
I'm going to voice the same concern as others regarding the use of "SR4.5" rather than "SR4A". The 4.5 terminology seems to be used most heavily by those who dislike the changes, and thus has a negative association at this time.

That said, the poll options don't really feel slanted toward either side to me otherwise. I approve. I will say that, while I think all of the poll options are necessary for a successful sampling, I lump the "no opinion" crowd in with pro SR4A votes (versus the combined total of the other options) when I look at the outcome of these polls. I guess I assume that if they don't care if the changes are made or not (likely because they already use, or plan to use, other rule options on their own) then they don't count as opposition.

Well, initially, I was calling SR4.5, but, well...that was because I could not think of anything else to call it. Admittedly, I have since adopted SR4A when talking about it over all, but, honestly, sometimes I thin SR4.(something) sounds more Shadowrun....maybe we should start calling something like SR4.7?(there are 6 errata, quiaff?)

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Mar 19 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Because i didn't fall for Cains bait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I voted for the new SR4A Rules in both cases
@Cardul if you want to call it SR4. something ,name it 4.20 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (like in 20th Aniversary)

HeyaHeyaHeya
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Mar 19 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #22

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Naysayer @ Mar 19 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Ditto on the poll title. Of course, this is Cain and he seems to enjoy defying the official nomenclature whenever he can. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have a Cain-to-Reality dictionary add-on for Firefox, so I didn't notice. =i)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Mar 19 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #23

Grand Master of Run-Fu

The term SR4.5 - your pet name for the anniversary edition and errata. What with the connotations of D&D3.5 incident it makes this sound a whole lot more dramatic than it actually is.

Shadowrun 4.5 isn't "my pet name" for it by a long shot; it's a commonly accepted term both here on Dumpshock and in use on other sites as well. It's also easier and more accurate when used to explain the depth of the changes to others. At any event, "dramatic" is not the same thing as "perjorative".

As far as the poll being biased, you're free to stat your own poll. Interestingly enough, the results are coming out more in favor of SR4.5, so apparently my "biased poll" is producing accurate results. Without the phrasing errors in the last poll, however, the results are much more balanced.

+Quote Post
Angier
post Mar 19 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,331

Luring the voter into a trap is still luring the voter into a trap even it is not the trap that was expected.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Mar 19 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

SR4A is accepted, as far as I can see, over the rather polemic SR4.5.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.