Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4.5 Poll
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cain
I'm going to break this one up into a smaller poll. I've reworded things so the options are clearer and easier to read, and are much more specific.
Muspellsheimr
Might want to rephrase the "Leave it alone" option to something along the lines of "Leave it as pre-anniversary SR4". As written, it has a similar problem of some of my phrasing, being able to be taken as Leave as SR4A or SR4.
Glyph
I voted "other" for the first option - the change really mucks up karmagen, and slows down advancement. I wouldn't mind a change, but I think they might be better off lowering skill costs than upping Attribute costs.

I voted "leave it alone" for direct combat spells. Direct combat spells have always been the workhorse spell of shadowrun, the cheap, efficient, re-usable spells that a mage could cast and usually soak the Drain. The proposed change turns them from low-Drain to ultra-high Drain and punishes, rather than rewards, the player for making extra successes. If you're going to turn one of the core mechanics of the game on its head, you should do it with a new edition, not suddenly change the rules of the universe for the current edition.
Cain
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 18 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Might want to rephrase the "Leave it alone" option to something along the lines of "Leave it as pre-anniversary SR4". As written, it has a similar problem of some of my phrasing, being able to be taken as Leave as SR4A or SR4.

Good idea. Done.
imperialus
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 18 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Yeah, what would be wrong with:

Which version of the drain from direct combat spells do you prefer?

1) SR4A (Increase by net successes)
2) SR4 (No increased drain based on successes)
3) Other

IMO It's a more neutral poll this way.
crizh
I voted for leave it alone for both.

I think Shadowrun has far more important problems than those two frankly.

And none of them is really fixable without a major re-write. We don't need a new edition at this point. We need the one we have to grow in popularity.

The new book is the perfect vehicle to do this. From everything I've heard it is a work of art and fabulous in every way except for the unexpected rules changes.
Cain
QUOTE (imperialus @ Mar 18 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Yeah, what would be wrong with:

Which version of the drain from direct combat spells do you prefer?

1) SR4A (Increase by net successes)
2) SR4 (No increased drain based on successes)
3) Other

IMO It's a more neutral poll this way.

Because not everyone has read the Sr4.5 rules yet, so it's more fair to put up the actual rules.
BlueMax
This poll starts on the wrong foot by using the perjorative term for the rules instead of the official. Nor did it use the best possible alternate name, SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT

Do you know Push Polling?

I would have like to seen an answer on drain that said "No more divide by 2".
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 18 2009, 10:38 PM) *
This poll starts on the wrong foot by using the perjorative term for the rules instead of the official. Nor did it use the best possible alternate name, SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT

Do you know Push Polling?

I would have like to seen an answer on drain that said "No more divide by 2".

That would be other.

I chose other and other.

I actually am okay with the x5 attribute cost, but without a skill cost decrease it feels incomplete.

And I want a change to the drain of spells this one just doesn't do it for me. I actually like the idea of current drain mods-3 with no 1/2 force crap as proposed by czech.
Cain
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Mar 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Perjorative? Where?

And what does SR4WWLOMTRAPMPT mean, anyway? read.gif
Muspellsheimr
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=782328
Kyoto Kid
...4.5?!?!?!?!?!? question.gif

What, has WotC bought the property? grinbig.gif

...geeez you go away for a few months to learn 3D CG and when you come back you find they rearranged the furniture on ya and rented your room out. twirl.gif
Muspellsheimr
4.5 is an inaccurate term. And the more I think about it, the phrasing of my poll had a few issues, but this one is, overall, at least as bad.
knasser
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 19 2009, 03:16 AM) *
Perjorative? Where?

The term SR4.5 - your pet name for the anniversary edition and errata. What with the connotations of D&D3.5 incident it makes this sound a whole lot more dramatic than it actually is.

I voted to keep the 5x Attributes (as in the errata). I voted "Other" for the Direct Combat spell drain. I'm okay with making the drain slightly worse on these but I don't like the way it was done for a few reasons.

EDIT: It is interesting that this poll is getting different results to the last one. The changes to Attributes remain more popular than other options combined, but now we have more people against the Direct Combat spells than for them. That could be because there has been more time for discussion and people to become aware of the issues. It could also be because people have had enough of this discussion and only the people who object to this are still bothering to read and vote. Similarly people who are fine with things may perceive the poll has just an attempt to get a second answer because the first wasn't popular and / or biased because of the 4.5 term, and therefore are not interested in reading it or don't wish to lend it validity with more numbers.
Naysayer
Ditto on the poll title. Of course, this is Cain and he seems to enjoy defying the official nomenclature whenever he can. wink.gif

I voted for x5 on the Attribute costs. I just that don't have a problem with it, and that's gotta be good enough.
On the drain issue, I also have no beef with the rule per se, but I voted "other", simply because the new ruling adds additional counting and math to the game and for that reason alone would to me have been better included as an optional rule.
So, when y'all go and unzip your pants again to compare "results", please take into account that "other" is always a dodgy term.
Blade
I was already using Attribute*5 (or AttributeĀ²) but house-ruled so that metahumans could raise their attributes as easily as humans.
As for the spells, I'd prefer a change that doesn't add yet another exception to the rule. I don't want to end up with as many tweaks, exception and special cases as in SR3.
hermit
I'm going to break this one up into a smaller poll. I've reworded things so the options are clearer and easier to read, and are much more specific.

Nothing like polls that are easy to read and gently point the voter towards the preferred results, eh? wink.gif

Interesting idea to lump people who do not care into Other by making the 'don't give a damn' admitting something derogatory in today's culture. wink.gif

And the more I think about it, the phrasing of my poll had a few issues, but this one is, overall, at least as bad.

Certainly. It has more than yours because you at least attempted to make a more or less neutral poll. Cain, on the other hand, seems intent to haver this poll produce the numbers he'd like to see.

SR4A on both counts, again, on my vote.
ornot
Character advancement is secondary in importance to me, so I'm not too fussed either way on xp costs for attribute improvements.

The spell change looks alright to me, although I don't like that mages can choose afterwards whether to apply hits or not. Might as well go the whole hog, and let them roll drain resistance before deciding how many hits they want to apply, and thus choose whether and how much drain they take at all.
Aristotle
I'm going to voice the same concern as others regarding the use of "SR4.5" rather than "SR4A". The 4.5 terminology seems to be used most heavily by those who dislike the changes, and thus has a negative association at this time.

That said, the poll options don't really feel slanted toward either side to me otherwise. I approve. I will say that, while I think all of the poll options are necessary for a successful sampling, I lump the "no opinion" crowd in with pro SR4A votes (versus the combined total of the other options) when I look at the outcome of these polls. I guess I assume that if they don't care if the changes are made or not (likely because they already use, or plan to use, other rule options on their own) then they don't count as opposition.
Cardul
QUOTE (Aristotle @ Mar 19 2009, 06:40 AM) *
I'm going to voice the same concern as others regarding the use of "SR4.5" rather than "SR4A". The 4.5 terminology seems to be used most heavily by those who dislike the changes, and thus has a negative association at this time.

That said, the poll options don't really feel slanted toward either side to me otherwise. I approve. I will say that, while I think all of the poll options are necessary for a successful sampling, I lump the "no opinion" crowd in with pro SR4A votes (versus the combined total of the other options) when I look at the outcome of these polls. I guess I assume that if they don't care if the changes are made or not (likely because they already use, or plan to use, other rule options on their own) then they don't count as opposition.

Well, initially, I was calling SR4.5, but, well...that was because I could not think of anything else to call it. Admittedly, I have since adopted SR4A when talking about it over all, but, honestly, sometimes I thin SR4.(something) sounds more Shadowrun....maybe we should start calling something like SR4.7?(there are 6 errata, quiaff?)
Medicineman
Because i didn't fall for Cains bait wink.gif I voted for the new SR4A Rules in both cases
@Cardul if you want to call it SR4. something ,name it 4.20 biggrin.gif (like in 20th Aniversary)

HeyaHeyaHeya
Medicineman
Aaron
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Mar 19 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Ditto on the poll title. Of course, this is Cain and he seems to enjoy defying the official nomenclature whenever he can. wink.gif

I have a Cain-to-Reality dictionary add-on for Firefox, so I didn't notice. =i)

Cain
The term SR4.5 - your pet name for the anniversary edition and errata. What with the connotations of D&D3.5 incident it makes this sound a whole lot more dramatic than it actually is.

Shadowrun 4.5 isn't "my pet name" for it by a long shot; it's a commonly accepted term both here on Dumpshock and in use on other sites as well. It's also easier and more accurate when used to explain the depth of the changes to others. At any event, "dramatic" is not the same thing as "perjorative".

As far as the poll being biased, you're free to stat your own poll. Interestingly enough, the results are coming out more in favor of SR4.5, so apparently my "biased poll" is producing accurate results. Without the phrasing errors in the last poll, however, the results are much more balanced.
Angier
Luring the voter into a trap is still luring the voter into a trap even it is not the trap that was expected.
Fuchs
SR4A is accepted, as far as I can see, over the rather polemic SR4.5.
hermit
Interestingly enough, the results are coming out more in favor of SR4.5, so apparently my "biased poll" is producing accurate results.

I LOL'd. Apparently, nothing helps you getting the majority to vote as you would like?

SR4A is accepted, as far as I can see, over the rather polemic SR4.5.

By far.
InfinityzeN
SR4A

Voted for the 5x Attribute increase, it actually brings Attributes in line with skills (if you count all from 0 that is).

Voted Other for DCS. I'm not happy with the SR4 or SR4A way of doing it. Mostly my problem is mostly with overcasting and the ability to firstaid it away. So I house rule it DCS have +1 drain, ICS have -1 drain, all overcast force is counted at 1:1 instead of 2:1 for Drain, and you can't firstaid away physical drain damage.

IE: Magic 5 and Force/2 Drain spell, Force 5 = 2S drain and over that each force adds 1 to drain.
knasser
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 19 2009, 12:27 PM) *
Shadowrun 4.5 isn't "my pet name" for it by a long shot; it's a commonly accepted term both here on Dumpshock

Given the number of people disagreeing with you even in this thread alone, I'd say it's more correct to call it a commonly not-accepted term.

smile.gif

K.
Medicineman
In German Forums I read more SR4A than SR4.5 so Its SR4A for me ( SR4.20 would've been OK too grinbig.gif )
...and Hermit,we should Stop beeing of the same opinion ! I don't know if we cause a rip in this continuum if we keep it up this Way ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
Cain
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 19 2009, 05:38 AM) *
I LOL'd. Apparently, nothing helps you getting the majority to vote as you would like?

Who says I care? Other than pointing out the Overcasting issue, I haven't spoken word 1 on these particular issues.

QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 19 2009, 06:00 AM) *
Given the number of people disagreeing with you even in this thread alone, I'd say it's more correct to call it a commonly not-accepted term.

smile.gif

What, six? Out of all Dumpshock?

Besides which, who gets confused when I call it SR4.5?
Roy Fokker
this poll is useless. we already have a poll and it's results were pretty conclusive.
The Mack
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Mar 19 2009, 09:57 PM) *
Mostly my problem is mostly with overcasting and the ability to firstaid it away. So I house rule it DCS have +1 drain, ICS have -1 drain, all overcast force is counted at 1:1 instead of 2:1 for Drain, and you can't firstaid away physical drain damage.

I'm not really happy with how overcasting works either, but how does that work out for you?

Does anyone in your group even use the option to overcast at that point? It seems like one or the other would be sufficient, I personally lean towards no first aid.

Ryu
I will likely call it "the precious", once it has gotten a street date, and made itĀ“s way to Germany. Until then, SR4A will do. (Gave null vote, am in favour of the specified updates.)
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Cain)
What, six? Out of all Dumpshock?

Besides which, who gets confused when I call it SR4.5?

Do you call Shadows of Europe something besides SoE?

Until you start changing all generally accepted abbreviations, most people are going to see "4.5" as an attempt at a correlation between D&D3.5 and the Anniversary Issue. You've stated yourself that you see the rules changes as drastic, which is why you're linking the two. If the Devs are using 4A, and you've always used the commonly given abbreviations they've used before, what's the problem?
hermit
...and Hermit,we should Stop beeing of the same opinion ! I don't know if we cause a rip in this continuum if we keep it up this Way ?

It's hayfever time, so I am taking drugs. Let's blame the drugs? Drugs are always a good scapegoat. It's the drugs!

Who says I care? Other than pointing out the Overcasting issue, I haven't spoken word 1 on these particular issues.

You do.

And yes, I could have phrased the poll better, likely with noticeably different results, but changing it now would not have any real effect, & making a new poll I do not think would go over quite as well.

You'd be surprised. I'm half tempted to rewrite the poll, just to see what happens.
Dakka Dakka
I voted to keep the attributes as they were in SR4 and for a different for drain. I'd like to see that indirect combat spells would receive 1 or 2 less drain and use the resistance mechanism of SR4, that would make them more attractive and would not gimp direct spells.
Cain
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Mar 19 2009, 06:15 AM) *
Do you call Shadows of Europe something besides SoE?

Until you start changing all generally accepted abbreviations, most people are going to see "4.5" as an attempt at a correlation between D&D3.5 and the Anniversary Issue. You've stated yourself that you see the rules changes as drastic, which is why you're linking the two. If the Devs are using 4A, and you've always used the commonly given abbreviations they've used before, what's the problem?

Not SoE, but I use the traditional shadowslang and shadowterms wherever I can. I still call them Deckers and Otaku, and no one seems to have any confusion over what I mean. And I'm not the only one here using SR4.5, although I might have been the first.
Bull
I find most of the argumentation to be a waste of time and bandwidth, really. And these "polls" generally even more so, especially since the folks who post them usually either disagree with the results anyways, or find some way to skew the results so that it backs up their opinion anyways (Not saying that's the case here, just, in general. I have a thing about open Forum Polls, and I originally lobbied to not have them enabled on Dumpshock ages ago).

Anyways, that said... As a GM I voted for the x5 option. Compared to the other skill and skill group costs, it makes sense. And Attributes should be tough to raise. (As a player, it makes me wince a bit, but... Whatever smile.gif)

As for the other, I voted "Don't care". Because really, I don't. Even under 4th Ed, I don;t overcast much anyways unless it really makes sense for my character to try blowing his load. I also rarely min-max to the point where I'm virtually guaranteed to succeed on my drain tests (And as I loath the lowered drain costs on Stun spells, I don't use them usually. That's a bitch for another day though).

Plus, as a GM, I'm notorious for rolling amazingly well. But as a player, I'm just the opposite. A good example was in our Hunter game (Using nWoD rules). My ex-Boxer was trying to create a distraction, and when it failed, he decided to just knockout this nurse. I get to roll 2 attacks (Combination Punch Merit) with 10, and then 9 dice. Nurse is rolling 4. In nWoD you hit on 8+, so almost the same odds as SR. In the first round, the Nurse beat me on the first attack (3 Hits vs my 1), and on the second attack, I tied (2 vs 2).

So just because something is statistically easier does not mean it will go that way. And physical vs stun damage is a bit of a difference. And usually, my characters try and avoid excess pain and bleeding out of their nose and ears from drain damage smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Roy Fokker @ Mar 19 2009, 08:09 AM) *
this poll is useless. we already have a poll and it's results were pretty conclusive.

This one was for shits and giggles anyway, but it did separate out the Direct Damage Combat spells as being less desirable than originally thought. Attribute change seems to be alright (though I voted keeping it the SR4 way, I wouldn't mind it as much if skill groups came down in cost, so I think it's a partial fix, but I'll take "no fix" over a "half fix")

Also, I use SR4.5, though less. It was my preferred abbreviation when I first encountered the edition. So I use it and SR4A interchangeably.
Jhaiisiin
QUOTE (Cain @ Mar 19 2009, 07:34 AM) *
Not SoE, but I use the traditional shadowslang and shadowterms wherever I can. I still call them Deckers and Otaku, and no one seems to have any confusion over what I mean. And I'm not the only one here using SR4.5, although I might have been the first.

Actually, there has been confusion before, in that some people aren't always sure whether you're referring to SR3 or SR4 when you speak of deckers and otaku. I've seen people specifically question you, only to be told by other posters that it's just you refusing to use the updated nomenclature.

On topic, I voted for the new attribute way and the old DCS. I like it better that way. And frankly, I'm comfy with mages being slown down even more on their power creep. (This coming from a player who has played in an entirely awakened group before for long periods of time)
tete
I personally would call it 4.1, IMHO they didn't change enough to get the 4.5 title. I admit I have not read the whole pdf yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012