Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning Shadowrun - Combat, Problems with understanding the rules
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,031

Okay, so I am completely new to Shadowrun. I have been wanting to play this game since like 5 years ago but I never managed to learn the rules. So now I'm really trying it out and trying to learn it through combat and what-not.

However, I've got a few problems with the rules, and it is not so much that I am complaining about the rules, rather that I do not quite understand them and would love for someone to clarify them for me.

So, here we go.
1) We have been trying to figure out how the Full-Auto and Burst-Modes work... but we don't get it. So... let's say that I do a Complex action to burst a guy with an Assault Rifle... Ares Alpha... has like (2) to recoil, and 6p dmg. Now we are talking 10 bullets flying at my opponent and I am getting -9 dice pool modifier. Let's say that after modifiers I have 2 dice to roll... does this mean that I get to roll 2 dice per bullet that goes flying or total? Cuz if it's total... then that's only 6p of damage for a full auto burst. This doesn't make much sense to me... just trying to figure it out.

2) Opposed Grenade Throws... so it's kinda weird that the defender gets an opposed Grenade roll... so depending on his "chi" or whatever u may call it... the grenade lands in a different spot? I don't get it...

3) You can run... 25m for one combat turn... 3seconds... and that's a simple action... that's like World Sprinter-Quality when wearing whatever gear ur carrying and guns... while getting shot at... is this really right? It doesn't make much sense to me... but then again, I might have missed something.

Anyone who feel that they can answer these questions to some fashion would get a huge thanks from me... I am really confused about these things but I really wanna learn them... please help me out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

/Zore
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Mar 29 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 06:50 PM) *
Cuz if it's total... then that's only 6p of damage for a full auto burst. This doesn't make much sense to me... just trying to figure it out.

Yes. That's pretty much how it works. Thought you also get to choose narrow (+9 DV if you hit - sometimes) or wide (-9 to target defense pool). You'll eventually get used to the rules not making much sense.

2) Opposed Grenade Throws... so it's kinda weird that the defender gets an opposed Grenade roll... so depending on his "chi" or whatever u may call it... the grenade lands in a different spot? I don't get it...

No, it's that the target has mysteriously teleported out of the way. You'll eventually get used to the rules not making much sense.

3) You can run... 25m for one combat turn... 3seconds... and that's a simple action... that's like World Sprinter-Quality when wearing whatever gear ur carrying and guns... while getting shot at... is this really right? It doesn't make much sense to me... but then again, I might have missed something.

Yes, that's how it works. You'll eventually get used to the rules not making much sense.

The developers seemed to have learned everything they know about combat from watching crappy movies and reading comic books.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 29 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 07:50 PM) *
So, here we go.
1) We have been trying to figure out how the Full-Auto and Burst-Modes work... but we don't get it. So... let's say that I do a Complex action to burst a guy with an Assault Rifle... Ares Alpha... has like (2) to recoil, and 6p dmg. Now we are talking 10 bullets flying at my opponent and I am getting -9 dice pool modifier. Let's say that after modifiers I have 2 dice to roll... does this mean that I get to roll 2 dice per bullet that goes flying or total? Cuz if it's total... then that's only 6p of damage for a full auto burst. This doesn't make much sense to me... just trying to figure it out.

You get 2 dice. Not 2 dice per bullet, 2 dice. If you get fewer hits than the guy who fired the gun you take a hit from 1 bullet (6P + net hits) damage. If you get more hits than the guy who fired the gun he missed you (and all of the bullets go poof).

Think of a wide burst as a shotgun blast that can only ever hit 1 guy.

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #4

Target

Okay... so if it is general consensus that none of the previous things makes sense... is there an alternative "fixed" system that takes care of these obvious problems?

I do not mean to flame each and everyone who plays the system, but I do like a system that you can make some sense from... and generally I prefer "realistic" campaigns as opposed to "Superhero" campaigns. Is there a 4.5 released that addresses some of these issues?

I have not even begun to look at the magic and hacker stuff yet, I'm trying to figure out the game one part at a time... but this seems like some really, really, big problems. Please tell me I'm wrong and give me the resources to back it up, I really want you to... the Shadowrun d6 system is too cool to be so flawed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

edit:: Is the third edition better in taking account for these types of things? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 29 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Well, for one, if a guy dodges a grenade you threw at him it means it's landing behind him. It doesn't disappear. Besides, you should be throwing them at the floor for maximum effect (the floor can't dodge).

As for movement speeds, they're fast, but at any less and your tactical options during combat get slimmer. It's not a lot of fun to only be moving around at 3m per combat round (realistic speeds). Also, when running you take a -2 to all dice pools (including dodging!)

As for bullets disappearing if they miss the intended target, that's for the sake of paperwork. No one wants to track the trajectory of every round fired to see if it hits someone else. Leave the collateral damage to the GM.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 29 2009, 03:16 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Okay, so I am completely new to Shadowrun. I have been wanting to play this game since like 5 years ago but I never managed to learn the rules. So now I'm really trying it out and trying to learn it through combat and what-not.

However, I've got a few problems with the rules, and it is not so much that I am complaining about the rules, rather that I do not quite understand them and would love for someone to clarify them for me.

So, here we go.

All right, you shoot at someone, with the penalty for firing a full burst. The Ares Alpha has 2 points of recoil compensation, so you have a net -7 penalty. But that's for a stock Alpha - any professional shadowrunner will get a shock pad and a gas-vent: 3 system for it, to bring the penalty down to -3.

Your hapless opponent, though, is not so lucky. You can either fire a wide burst, which reduces their dodge roll by -9, or you can fire a narrow burst, which increases the damage by +9. Either way, you will likely do more than 6P damage, because your net hits get added to the base damage.

Also, a wide burst is not like a shotgun burst that can only hit one guy - there are rules for multiple targets of a wide burst.

This represents them running the hell out of the way when you toss something at them - are they just going to sit there and watch the grenade land at their feet? It's the same as defending against any other ranged attack. I know "opposed by the target" could make it seem like they are rolling grenade skill vs. you, but they aren't - it only refers to the normal Reaction test.

Movement rates seem to be a weak point for most games. In Shadowrun, the movement rate is a bit on the high side.

+Quote Post
silva
post Mar 29 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,968

So, here we go.

Im new to the new edition also (Ihave anniversary edition). But the way I read the rules it seems to me that, if you fire a full-auto (10 bullets), you get +10 to DV, making it a 16P damage. Am I reading something wrong here?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 29 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 28 2009, 10:16 PM) *
Also, a wide burst is not like a shotgun burst that can only hit one guy - there are rules for multiple targets of a wide burst.

You are correct, there are rules for using a wide burst on more than one target, but the simple "I fire a wide burst at that guy" doesn't use those rules, even if the guy is standing should-to-shoulder with another guy.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Mar 29 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Ok, first are you firing a Wide Burst or a Narrow Burst? If its a Narrow Burst then yes, only one of the bullets "hit." If you fire a Narrow Burst then if you hit the guy then all the bullets "hit" so that would be 6P +9 + 1 net hit (at least) = 16P.

Although the rules have players take turns when attacking combat, obviously, doesn't really work that way. Each attack is getting opposed by something, so the defender is "reacting" to the attacks as they come. So, someone throws a grenade and then it lands and everyone around it kind of jumps away from it. Wouldn't that be your reaction? There is errata on the grenade rules, as I remember so grab the latest errata from the website. This particular topic has, however, been the subject of some debate here.

Yeah, it's pretty fast: 25m/3seconds = 8.33m/s. That's 100m in 12 seconds. Usain Bolt is the current record-holder and he ran 100m in 9.69s, so he would move 30.96m/3 seconds (per combat round). So, 25m/round is fast but not what I would call "superhero."

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Mar 29 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

I don't believe that the general consensus is that the combat mechanics don't work. It's easy to miss when spraying bullets out of a full auto gun. If you really want a bullet hose to do more than make noise, and don't want to spend the money for recoil compensation, use suppressive fire rules. Only if you're very good or have good bracing (recoil compensation) can you put 10 bullets in one spot (or make it much harder to dodge). Otherwise stick with short bursts.

3rd edition is generally more complicated. If you want to tweak the modeling better, go with 3rd, but be braced for a steeper learning curve. 4e works for the rest of us.

[ninjaed]Why do I bother.[/ninjaed]

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 04:00 AM
Post #11

Target

Okay, got some more reasonable replies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Now... one more thing about opposed grenade throws... if i'm throwing at at person X who is standing 4m away from person Y... does only person X get an opposed roll or both?

And according to the rules, it seems kinda like the position of the grenade is changed as opposed to the person changing place... maybe I just misread it though.

Any did I get this right or am I still confused?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 29 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i guess one have to consider that a wide burst is not a "fan the room with bullets".

its just a case of widening the grouping of bullets a bit so that there is a higher chance that at least one of them hits, no matter where the target goes.

basically, rather then having them all hit within 7-8cm/3inches, they spread out to 30cm/12inches or slightly larger.

if one wants to fan the room with bullets, one go with suppression fire.

mostly the rules are abstract for ease of use. would you rather spend the time each round calculating penetration, pr bullet, depending on where it hits, what angle it hits at and all that stuff?

people complain that the SR rules are slow enough as it is. if one added ballistic realism on top, sign of on the next hour or so for the damage calculations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

or one could always go and play space opera (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Mar 29 2009, 04:13 AM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Actions are not resolved until all the dice are rolled.

Just because you got some hits on the Attacking Roll does not mean you hit. It is not until the defending roll(s) are complete that the actions are resolved.

You shoot at someone, you roll your attack roll, you get some hits. This only means you have a chance of hitting

The defender rolls, maybe they were lucky and they didn't end up where the bullet went. They have a chance of being luckier then you at being out of the way.

If the Defender is unlucky enough to be in the way, they still have a chance of their armor and resistance making the effect of the hit minimal or nothing.

You can choose optional rules where only the attackers roll is used as a single roll to resolve whether or not you hit.

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #14

Target

I do appreciate all the replies so far. I am not trying to bash apart SR system by any means (wouldn't make any sense since I've barely tried it yet), I'm just trying to make sense of it so that I understand what is happening when I try it out.

Still, one of my big questions remains... does opposed tests for Grenades involve everyone who could be affected by the grenade or only the person I throw it at?
Which leads me to my follow-up question... if it's the latter... where only one person gets to dodge... then that sux for everyone else...
but if it is the prior... that gives all the people within the grenade range and extra chance to make a small move action... which once again... unfair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

which leads us to how i understood the rules... the grenade gets moved!? that's even crazier though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) because then it can be moved away from the target and closer to another group of people who are not as lucky as to have an opposed roll...
(all this is assuming stationary opponents, not moving)

so therefore... is it better to just aim at a spot? If so... it becomes a bitch to dodge that grenade if you have a slow initiative next round... this seems the most plausible of the scenarios... but then again... I don't know... I haven't really played the game a lot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

please, enlighten me with your insights.

/Zore

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 29 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 11:29 PM) *
which leads us to how i understood the rules... the grenade gets moved!? that's even crazier though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) because then it can be moved away from the target and closer to another group of people who are not as lucky as to have an opposed roll...

Impact and Air Burst grenades. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Impact and Air Burst grenades. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Don't mean to be annoying... but I'm still confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

edit:: rather, that doesn't help me understand since I don't know the mechanics of those grenades either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 29 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 11:41 PM) *
Don't mean to be annoying... but I'm still confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

edit:: rather, that doesn't help me understand since I don't know the mechanics of those grenades either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well, air burst grenades explode in the air--no dodge roll, and no throwing them back. Impact go off when they hit a surface, so no throwing them back.

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #18

Target

Ah that makes sense... but that doesn't really answer my question about how the game mechanics works on regular grenades... the prior post that I made was just like 4 different ways it COULD work... I don't know which one it is supposed to be even... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Larme
post Mar 29 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,430

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 28 2009, 09:01 PM) *
Okay... so if it is general consensus that none of the previous things makes sense... is there an alternative "fixed" system that takes care of these obvious problems?

I do not mean to flame each and everyone who plays the system, but I do like a system that you can make some sense from... and generally I prefer "realistic" campaigns as opposed to "Superhero" campaigns. Is there a 4.5 released that addresses some of these issues?

I have not even begun to look at the magic and hacker stuff yet, I'm trying to figure out the game one part at a time... but this seems like some really, really, big problems. Please tell me I'm wrong and give me the resources to back it up, I really want you to... the Shadowrun d6 system is too cool to be so flawed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

edit:: Is the third edition better in taking account for these types of things? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Third edition has most of the same realism issues as SR4, mostly because SR4 is based off of SR3. They changed the dice mechanic from variable target numbers to a fixed target number with variable dice pools, but the basic structure of everything is the same. I think the system works great as long as you look at it as a game, and not a battle simulation. The point is to have some fun, and have it be non-lethal enough that you'll survive most fights and not have to make a new character after every game session. If you want a realistic, simulation style battle system, you're not going to find it in Shadowrun, in this or any other edition.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 29 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #20

panda!

i guess one thing to consider about say the grenades rules are that everything is happeing within the same 3 seconds.

that is, as your troll teammate is filling the air with lead, that thrower on the other side is trying to throw said grenade, while not being hit at the same time.

people may be moving back and forth with in a radius of their supposed location, and the "dodge" test of the grenade may be the target going "oh crap!" and diving in some direction to get away from it. but when the grenade goes off, damage is calculated and all is said and done, the person goes back to his area of activity.

and on that one, i recall hearing about one game where the rule was that if you dodged a explotion, you found your self outside its radius, no matter how large is was...

oh, and there is always the alternative and simply declare all grenade attacks a success test, murphy be damned.

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #21

Target

Right, all this is good for visualizing how it works, but it still does not answer earlier question, which one of the scenarios that I listed is the one that the official SR 4ed rules stands by?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Mar 29 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #22

panda!

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 29 2009, 05:00 AM) *
Now... one more thing about opposed grenade throws... if i'm throwing at at person X who is standing 4m away from person Y... does only person X get an opposed roll or both?

only person x as he is considered the primary target. if your just trying to land it between them, go for a success test as your attacking a spot on the ground and see how close to the intended target it lands.

And according to the rules, it seems kinda like the position of the grenade is changed as opposed to the person changing place... maybe I just misread it though.

its the position of the grenade that changes, yes. but its mostly a case of abstracting multiple factors (moving target(s), bad luck on the side of the thrower, sudden winds or other factors) into a single effect for ease of use vs accuracy of physics...

in the end, one should ask, what is the attacker trying to do?

1. is he trying to attack a single person with a grenade (and just happens to catch others in the blast)?

2. is he trying to catch as many as possible in the blast radius?

if its 1, then its a opposed test with others just being shit out of luck. if its 2, its a success test.

in either case, people better be wearing their best running shoes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
vladski
post Mar 29 2009, 05:21 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,176

QUOTE (Zore @ Mar 29 2009, 12:00 AM) *

Any did I get this right or am I still confused?

A character typically is not going to be throwing a grenade at a person/opponent. He will be throwing it at a spot. That spot could be indicated by the player saying some thing like "I am throwing my grenade at the "feet" of Goon A." This indicates the roughly meter area where Goon A is standing at the time of the player taking his action, not actually on the goon's feet.

Now, a character may want to throw a grenade at an opponent for some reason. (Maybe he wants to bean him in the head with it?) I would rule, at that point, the character is no longer throwing a grenade. Grenades are typically lobbed to try and hit a rough area. At the point the guy is throwing it at the opponent, he is throwing an object like a rock. I would probably force the player to use the general Throwing skill and not the specialization Throwing: Grenade, in any case. Alternatively, I may ask for him to apply the called shot penalty (-4 to his roll) and let him roll his specialization. Of course, how the events play out in the actual game may change my ruling in a lot of cases. Intent and the actual scenario are things any GM needs to weigh in any situation where the players are going slightly "off" the norm. Obviously, the defender of such an attack would get a Dodge to avoid the incoming missile (provided they are aware of the incoming missile), and if such an attack were made and missed actually hitting the guy, the grenade would land pretty far from it's target due to the force of the throw. There's a reason the term "lobbing" a grenade is used so often as a description of that type of attack... to me it implies an arcing throw intended for the grenade to land in specific spot and have minimal rolling/bouncing afterward.

Vlad

+Quote Post
Zurai
post Mar 29 2009, 05:23 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,964

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 28 2009, 10:14 PM) *
Besides, you should be throwing them at the floor for maximum effect (the floor can't dodge).

This is explicitly disallowed by the rules.

+Quote Post
Zore
post Mar 29 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #25

Target

Thank you, now I have actually had all my questions answered and it should prove a lot easier for the next attempt to try out the combat system. Thanks all that helped out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
/Zore

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.