Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price of meat
Stingray
post Mar 31 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,002

Just wonder, what would be right price for metahuman meat?
for ghoul character.. would right price be Dinner's 25 yen? (BBB p.304)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 31 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Metahuman meat is going to be highly variable. Normal meat I'd expect to run around $10/lb or more. Metahuman meat is unusual in that it's quite commonly available, but illegal to harvest. Therefore you won't find metahuman meat in any area C level or better (remember, illegal!) and if you did, the price would be exorbinate - human steaks for $500 sort of thing. Once you hit the barrens, the price for killing a hobo drops precipitously, and I'm sure a ghoul can connect himself such that he can get meals for 25 nuyen a pop or less.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Mar 31 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

If i remember correctly there is a restaurant called Takonashi (??) which serves
metahuman meat for ghouls..really posh type of place. Certainly above C-rank zone..?

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Mar 31 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

Placentas count as metahuman flesh and legal to consume, and available in some specialty restaurants...

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Mar 31 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 10,024

Would troll meat be the same price as other metahuman meat? It's got all sort of subdermal bone deposits in it.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Mar 31 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 31 2009, 10:33 AM) *
Placentas count as metahuman flesh and legal to consume, and available in some specialty restaurants...

Ewwwwww....

btw, nice sig line.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Mar 31 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

so ghoul in the business suit can order placentas in restaurant and nobody cares..Nice!!
Civilized ghoul would be meat-ticket to feral ghouls like..:
..I would order number 4 now and number 5,6,7,8 in take-aways thank U! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Degausser
post Mar 31 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,698

QUOTE (Stingray @ Mar 31 2009, 01:30 PM) *
so ghoul in the business suit can order placentas in restaurant and nobody cares..Nice!!
Civilized ghoul would be meat-ticket to feral ghouls like..:
..I would order number 4 now and number 5,6,7,8 in take-aways thank U! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

I can't remember which book, but there is a chapter-opening story in one of the SR4 books about a recently ghoul-ified girl who does just this. They call ahead of time and have some raw meat (beef, I think) ready and waiting for her when she sits down. Pretty swank place too.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Mar 31 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Runner's Companion page 45

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Mar 31 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

Illegal harvesting of metahuman flesh isn't the only way to provide gouls their favourite meat (it's just the fastest/cheapest), cloned flesh would do just fine; and if the quality isn't required hospitals are a great place to get food, just thing how many part of their bodies people ditch in favor of cyber/bio-ware (or new a organ that are in working conditions when the original isn't anymore).

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Mar 31 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 10,024

Rummage around the back of hospitals for surgical waste and bags of fat from the liposuction procedures! It's like fast food for ghouls.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 31 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Mar 31 2009, 03:58 PM) *
cloned flesh would do just fine;

I actually don't believe that is the case. This is precisely why Dunkie made such a large allotment in his will to finding a replacement for metahuman flesh for ghouls, because cloned flesh just won't cut it.

The Companion specifically says: "a popular theory maintains that ghouls' need for metahuman flesh has something to do with its metaphysical aura." Cloned flesh doesn't have a metaphysical aura to speak of.

+Quote Post
AllTheNothing
post Mar 31 2009, 08:56 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,537

QUOTE (nezumi @ Mar 31 2009, 10:31 PM) *
I actually don't believe that is the case. This is precisely why Dunkie made such a large allotment in his will to finding a replacement for metahuman flesh for ghouls, because cloned flesh just won't cut it.

The Companion specifically says: "a popular theory maintains that ghouls' need for metahuman flesh has something to do with its metaphysical aura." Cloned flesh doesn't have a metaphysical aura to speak of.

RC states (at p.61) that force growing clones suffices to provide the needed nuorishment.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Mar 31 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (AllTheNothing @ Mar 31 2009, 04:56 PM) *
RC states (at p.61) that force growing clones suffices to provide the needed nuorishment.

No, RC p. 61 sidebar is a "fluff" bit from the scientific community that states that "Cloned metahuman flesh and blood, including bioware, can satisfy some of these dietary requirements. Force growing immature clones may provide an expensive but viable mid-term answer to the need to segregate HMHVV-positive individuals."

It also says they need 1% of their body weight weekly... when the truth (per rules) is 5% (p. 78, Game Info). In other words, cloned flesh satisfies a portion of their need for meat, but likely that portion could just as easily be filled by raw beef.

And yes, this does mean that the scientific community - as reported to the UN - is a bit... off... on their figures. (Wonder who bribed them?)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 1 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 31 2009, 02:57 PM) *
No, RC p. 61 sidebar is a "fluff" bit from the scientific community that states that "Cloned metahuman flesh and blood, including bioware, can satisfy some of these dietary requirements. Force growing immature clones may provide an expensive but viable mid-term answer to the need to segregate HMHVV-positive individuals."

It also says they need 1% of their body weight weekly... when the truth (per rules) is 5% (p. 78, Game Info). In other words, cloned flesh satisfies a portion of their need for meat, but likely that portion could just as easily be filled by raw beef.

And yes, this does mean that the scientific community - as reported to the UN - is a bit... off... on their figures. (Wonder who bribed them?)

My guess would be Asamando - they have good reason to make ghouls look better in the public eye. The Ghoul Liberation League is another likely prospect.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Apr 1 2009, 04:46 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (EvilP @ Mar 31 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Rummage around the back of hospitals for surgical waste and bags of fat from the liposuction procedures! It's like fast food for ghouls.

Goes straight to the thighs though..

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 1 2009, 05:21 AM
Post #17

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I can't imagine how disgusting it would be to eat human. People complain about all the toxic shit we put into feed cattle. Can you imagine what they could squeeze out of human fat?

(As an aside: this is actually why its so difficult to definitively prove that something does or does not cause birth defects in humans- our background intake of toxic shit is so high that its near impossible to rule out other causes. Ironically, women with strict heath-conscious lifestyles (vegans for example) that would likely make the best test subjects are the absolute least likely to sign up to be guinea pigs...)

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Apr 1 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 1 2009, 12:21 AM) *
I can't imagine how disgusting it would be to eat human. People complain about all the toxic shit we put into feed cattle. Can you imagine what they could squeeze out of human fat?

(As an aside: this is actually why its so difficult to definitively prove that something does or does not cause birth defects in humans- our background intake of toxic shit is so high that its near impossible to rule out other causes. Ironically, women with strict heath-conscious lifestyles (vegans for example) that would likely make the best test subjects are the absolute least likely to sign up to be guinea pigs...)

Ah, yes..makes me think of Dominion: Tank Police, and the hospital that treated only HEALTHY people.....

+Quote Post
Dream79
post Apr 1 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 16,911

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 1 2009, 05:21 AM) *

I thought TRUE vegans had a tendency for suffering dietary deficiencies which would cause possible birth defects. Not that many people know how to supplement a meatless diet, which is one of the reasons I've rarely seen someone maintain a strictly vegan diet for more then a few years at a time and the few I have seen who do tend to get sick more often.

+Quote Post
InfinityzeN
post Apr 1 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,707

True vegans do have some serious health issues since most of them do not know how th supplement their diet. My x-wife went Vegan and she was having all kinds of serious health issues from it after a year. A year latter and talked to her on the phone, she had to start eating meat again.

+Quote Post
ornot
post Apr 1 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 8,638

Meh. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years. Lately I've rather been forced partially into veganism due to the development of lactose intolerance. I miss cheese and ice cream like hell, but I'm no more prone to sickness than anyone else I know.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 1 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

That means you're doing it right. My mom's also "doing it right" though she does raid the turkey carcass on Thanksgiving because the vegetarian substitutes are crap.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 1 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #23

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Well the main dietary concern in pregnancy is usually folate, which is found in green leafy vegitables. Not something vegans are usually deficient in. Most other stuff the baby will get preferentially. In this regard, pregnancy is more dangerous to the mother than the baby. Iron, for example would be a major concern. Vegans tend to be slightly anemic to begin with, and even in women that eat red meat it can take up to a year postpartum to replenish their iron stores, but the baby is usually fine.

{edit: not that this has anything to do with the topic of this thread.... sorry for the derail (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif) }

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Apr 1 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Stingray @ Mar 31 2009, 03:29 PM) *
Just wonder, what would be right price for metahuman meat?
for ghoul character.. would right price be Dinner's 25 yen? (BBB p.304)

Don't know about prices for a single dinner, but RC suggests as an optional rule that lifestyle costs for the Infected may simply be raised by 20%, as long as they maintain at least a middle lifestyle.
Of course, that's probably oversimplistc and may not do justice to the fact that SR fluff has always stressed how real meat has become something only upper-class people can afford anymore, but it sure cuts down on tedious micromanagement.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Apr 1 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 1 2009, 05:19 PM) *
Don't know about prices for a single dinner, but RC suggests as an optional rule that lifestyle costs for the Infected may simply be raised by 20%, as long as they maintain at least a middle lifestyle.
Of course, that's probably oversimplistc and may not do justice to the fact that SR fluff has always stressed how real meat has become something only upper-class people can afford anymore, but it sure cuts down on tedious micromanagement.

Middle lifestyle = 5,000¥/month = 60,000¥/year ≈ 165¥/day

So, 30% ≈ 50¥ per day as a floor cost for metahuman meat.

Better lifestyles than Middle probably cost more for safety, convenience, taste, and being treated as normal by the waitstaff.

At Luxury the extra 30% works out to 985¥/day. Enough to have a personal chef/assistant to take care of whatever parts of the process you find uncomfortable. (or to clean up the mess if you enjoy your food live).

—————
Edited to correct for Runner's Companion actually saying to charge 30%.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:11 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.