IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building computers, Response? Is that it?
Biokinetica
post Apr 5 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,010

I'm trying to build a nexus from stuff I've bought/stolen in a campaign, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's what in terms of form. I have a rating four "response" that I bought, and an operating system - at rating eight - that I stole. My main problem is what "response" entails. For upgrading commlinks, response seems to denote the CPU at the heart of the device that surrounds it. But in the build table in Unwired, it looks as though "response" seems to take the place of any other hardware that would be there. Is the "response" that you're buying a catch-all for the motherboard, case, storage disk/drive/crystal, and all that jazz? And is the firewall that you're buying hardware- or software-based? I also wonder about what I can legally do with signal. I don't want to pay for the node's signal since the bus already has it's own at rating six, and I figured I could just run a fiber-optic cable or something into the transceiver that's responsible for that 10km spread to save time/money that way. Is this possible?

I'm also trying to work out a few other upgrades. My main problem in this department is that I have no idea how to deal with mod slots, since vehicle's are based on body, and others are listed. How do you calculate how many you have open?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Apr 5 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

QUOTE (Biokinetica @ Apr 5 2009, 12:42 AM) *
Is the "response" that you're buying a catch-all for the motherboard, case, storage disk/drive/crystal, and all that jazz? And is the firewall that you're buying hardware- or software-based?

Response is technically a stand alone module in most cases, but yes, it's essentially an abstraction for the overall harware proccessing ability and speed of the hardware. Storage memory in SR4/SR4A boils down to "you have as much as you need", unless the GM says otherwise for some dramatic purpose. Note that a Commlink/Normal Node Response hardware unit is not the same as a Nexus Response hardware unit. You can't build the latter with the former (nor vice wersa really).

Nodes have two Hardware attributes (Response and Signal) and two Software attributes (System and Firewall). A hardware firewall in SR4 is essentially a node with a high Firewall rating (and likely some decent IC/Agents) that acts as a gateway to the matrix for other nodes. The nexus you are trying to build could act as a "hardware firewall" for your team if set up properly.

I don't want to pay for the node's signal since the bus already has it's own at rating six, and I figured I could just run a fiber-optic cable or something into the transceiver that's responsible for that 10km spread to save time/money that way. Is this possible?

I'm not sure if by "bus" here you mean a vehicle, or a computer hardware related term, so I'll be general here. It's perfectly legal to not buy a Signal rating for a node/device, it simply means that the device in question has no ability to connect to the wireless matrix on its own. It can connect to other nodes through fiber optic cables, laser links or the like, or could be connected to a Satellite Link accessory to provide an external hardware wireless connection.

Note that if you connect it to the node of your vehicle and use the vehicles Signal rating to transmit and connect to the matrix, people will find the vehicle node first if they come looking for you. If the security on your vehicle node is not up to snuff, that could mean bad things for you and your team.

I'm also trying to work out a few other upgrades. My main problem in this department is that I have no idea how to deal with mod slots, since vehicle's are based on body, and others are listed. How do you calculate how many you have open?

I'm assuming you are referring to the Standard Upgrades listed in the vehicle descriptions. These are designed into the vehicle at the factory, and as such take up no Modification Slots. Just as the rules state, you have a number of slots available to you equal to the body of the vehicle (or 4 in the case of vehicles/drones with a Body <4).

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 5 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Target

I'm refering to the automotive vehicle "bus", yes. As for the mod slots, I was talking about the node's number of slots, sorry. It seems as though electronics upgrades require slots just like vehicle upgrades, but unlike a vehicle, a nexus node's number of slots aren't listed.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 5 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #4

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Read P. 212 Matrix Attributes
Response (Hardware)
Signal (Hardware
Firewall (Software)
System (Software)

That's all a node has.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Apr 5 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

I'm trying to build a nexus from stuff I've bought/stolen in a campaign, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly what's what in terms of form. I have a rating four "response" that I bought, and an operating system - at rating eight - that I stole. My main problem is what "response" entails. For upgrading commlinks, response seems to denote the CPU at the heart of the device that

Also note that System is limited by Response. If you have a System of 6 and a Reponse of 4, the System operates at a Rating 4.

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 5 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Apr 5 2009, 03:37 PM) *
Read P. 212 Matrix Attributes
Response (Hardware)
Signal (Hardware
Firewall (Software)
System (Software)

That's all a node has.

Has of what? Slots? Does this mean the hardware has four modification slots?
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 5 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Also note that System is limited by Response. If you have a System of 6 and a Reponse of 4, the System operates at a Rating 4.
I've never seen this in any of the books. The closest thing I can find concerns the number of programs limited by the system rating in conjunction with response. Where does it say that system itself is limited by response?

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Apr 5 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (Biokinetica @ Apr 5 2009, 02:05 PM) *
I've never seen this in any of the books. The closest thing I can find concerns the number of programs limited by the system rating in conjunction with response. Where does it say that system itself is limited by response?

Under Response, on Page 222 of SR4A or 213 of the SR4.
System measures the power of the device’s operating system (OS) software. This includes its stability, multitasking properties, ability to control hardware, resources, and the general quality of its code. If the System software ever crashes, the entire device crashes. System limits the rating of programs running on the device, and sets the limit on most devices for the number of programs that can be run without a Response drop. The System program is limited by the base Response rating of the device it is on: if the base Response rating of the device is lower than the System rating, then the System rating is set to equal the Response rating. System also sets the size of the Matrix Condition Monitor of persona programs running on the device (Cybercombat, p. 236).

Comlink also have 4 modification slots. Page 196 of Unwired, under commlink modifications.

Commlinks and other electronic devices may be by a character without Hardware skill, using the rules for gear modification found on p. 126, Arsenal.
Commlinks are considered to have 4 available modification slots. In addition to the mods noted below, the following options listed under Weapon Modifications on pp. 148–153, Arsenal, may also be applied to electronics: Ceramic/Plasteel Components, Chameleon Coating, Extreme Environment Mod, Gecko Grip, Metahuman Customization, Propulsion System, Skinlink, and Tracker.

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 5 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #8

Target

Are you saying all the rules for commlinks are the same for nexi, except the processor limit?

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 5 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

QUOTE (Kingboy @ Apr 5 2009, 08:39 AM) *
I'm not sure if by "bus" here you mean a vehicle, or a computer hardware related term, so I'll be general here.

I certainly hope it's a term for a vehicle. Show me a GM who demands that your on-board data transfer system have a rating and I'll show you a twit who needs to be shaken vigorously.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 5 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Biokinetica @ Apr 5 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Are you saying all the rules for commlinks are the same for nexi, except the processor limit?

That and persona limit, yeah.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 6 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #11

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Biokinetica @ Apr 5 2009, 05:05 PM) *

Just like a PC has
Body
Agility
Reaction
Strength
Charisma
Intuition
Logic
Willpower
+ some special attributes

How do you upgrade a PC (Player Character, not a computer)?

Nodes
have the attributes mentioned, and that is how they are upgraded.

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 7 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #12

Target

edit: nevermind, found what I was looking for below.

QUOTE (Matsci @ Apr 5 2009, 06:14 PM) *
QUOTE (Me)

Under Response, on Page 222 of SR4A or 213 of the SR4.

This is what I was thinking:
QUOTE (Unwired @ page 50)
Their configuration and design also means that System rating is not capped by Response.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 7 2009, 04:25 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

Question for everyone... can you get a custom built commlink at chargen? Honestly, I hate the stock commlinks. I also hate the rules for upgrading the hardware.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Apr 7 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Per SR4A you must purchase a stock comlink and then upgrade; remembering that you can only upgrade the Hardware +2 points from the Original Link.

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 7 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #15

Target

Do you still have the option of building one from scratch in-game? Away from nexi for a moment; just curious.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Apr 7 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #16

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Biokinetica @ Apr 7 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Do you still have the option of building one from scratch in-game? Away from nexi for a moment; just curious.

Yes.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 8 2009, 05:06 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Magus @ Apr 7 2009, 08:41 AM) *
Per SR4A you must purchase a stock comlink and then upgrade; remembering that you can only upgrade the Hardware +2 points from the Original Link.

Does anyone else think this is frakin' stupid? I totally disagree with this. Why in God's name would a hacker even buy a stock commlink except as a decoy. Also I think that cyber commlinks should be able to be custom built... especially if it's better than standard grade.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Apr 8 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

I was somewhat saddened to see that an option to build your own commlink from hand selected parts was not available. The old 1/1 commlink upgraded to 6/6 was the closest approximation to building your own custom hardware, and that was deliberately removed.

+Quote Post
Writer
post Apr 9 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,061

QUOTE (Magus @ Apr 7 2009, 08:41 AM) *

Where is the limit on upgrading commlinks?

On page 240 of the core rules, it not only tells how much it costs to upgrade hardware and software, but also reference where to look for building from scratch. It even mentions "Parts costs are always half the cost of buying a hardware upgrade."

+Quote Post
Matsci
post Apr 9 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,626

QUOTE (Writer @ Apr 9 2009, 10:17 AM) *
Where is the limit on upgrading commlinks?

On page 240 of the core rules, it not only tells how much it costs to upgrade hardware and software, but also reference where to look for building from scratch. It even mentions "Parts costs are always half the cost of buying a hardware upgrade."

Check the latest Errata
Device Hardware attributes like Signal and Response are now limited to +2 upgrades above the original rating. Further upgrades require a Modular Electronics Modification. (To be included in future Arsenal errata and printings as well)

MODULAR ELECTRONICS
Modular Electronics allows the upgrade of a device’s Signal and Response hardware above the normal +2 limit by making components modular and easy to replace.
Slots: 1
Th reshold: 8
Tools: Kit
Cost: 1000¥
Availability: 6
Special Skill: Hardware

+Quote Post
Writer
post Apr 10 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,061

QUOTE (Matsci @ Apr 9 2009, 05:16 PM) *
Check the latest Errata

I'll take a look. (Makes sense, though.)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Apr 10 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Device Hardware attributes like Signal and Response are now limited to +2 upgrades above the original rating. Further upgrades require a Modular Electronics Modification. (To be included in future Arsenal errata and printings as well)

MODULAR ELECTRONICS
Modular Electronics allows the upgrade of a device’s Signal and Response hardware above the normal +2 limit by making components modular and easy to replace.
Slots: 1
Threshold: 8
Tools: Kit
Cost: 1000¥
Availability: 6
Special Skill: Hardware

In other words if we want a Response 5/Signal 5 commlink at chargen we just have to pay an extra 1000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for it.

I think that cyberware commlinks should have this as standard.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Apr 11 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

The Modular Electronics is for vehicles and Drones not Comlinks.

MODULAR ELECTRONICS
Modular Electronics allows the upgrade of a vehicle’sSignal and
Response hardware above the normal +2 limit by making components
modular and easy to replace.

emphasis mine

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Apr 11 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #24

Mr. Johnson

I'm guessing the description mentions vehicles because it's intended as an erratum for Arsenal. I'd be willing to bet that there will also be an erratum for Unwired that adds Modular Electronics to the list of mods available for commlinks.

+Quote Post
Biokinetica
post Apr 11 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Magus @ Apr 11 2009, 10:55 AM) *
The Modular Electronics is for vehicles and Drones not Comlinks.

emphasis mine

Nexi =/= commlinks.

And since SR4A is indeed just a bit "frakin' stupid", can we keep the advise focused on SR4 with errata info as secondary?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.