Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Octopiii
post May 16 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,758

Is it terrible that I find Clockwork the most entertaining Jackpointer?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post May 16 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #3

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Nope. We all have our favorites.

+Quote Post
martindv
post May 16 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

That was... Uninformative.

Boring, too.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 16 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Definitely not the best we've ever had. we thought it would be more question-driven, but that didn't happen and we were slow on the response.

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post May 16 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

QUOTE (martindv @ May 16 2009, 11:33 PM) *
That was... Uninformative.

Boring, too.

That was... insightful.

Constructive as well.

I see some seeds of things to come in there, little tidbits, it didn't seem like there was much from the crowd, though. How was the turnout?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post May 16 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Horrific. 17 fans for a half-dozen freelancers.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post May 17 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

These chats have a knack for occuring whenever I have to work, else I would have been there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
martindv
post May 17 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ May 16 2009, 07:47 PM) *
I see some seeds of things to come in there, little tidbits, it didn't seem like there was much from the crowd, though. How was the turnout?

Really? I didn't see shit.

My favorite part was when someone would ask a simple, straightforward question like "Is the Yakuza still top dog" and a JPer would respond "which sprawl?"

Gee, what fucking sprawl do you fucking think? I don't know. It's supposed to be ShadowSEA, so I'm gonna guess... Uh... Kampuchia. No no no. Perth. Yeah, that's it.

What the fuck kind of idiot response is that? Jesus Christ. Quality is obviously not job one.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post May 17 2009, 12:11 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 16 2009, 06:52 PM) *

OK...you see, I was, again, expecting that we were going to get the PDF for Vice, since they said the IC chat was about stuff in Vice.

But, honestly, I think that the IC chats for SR should be for release announcements or major events.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post May 17 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (martindv @ May 16 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Really? I didn't see shit.

My favorite part was when someone would ask a simple, straightforward question like "Is the Yakuza still top dog" and a JPer would respond "which sprawl?"

Gee, what fucking sprawl do you fucking think? I don't know. It's supposed to be ShadowSEA, so I'm gonna guess... Uh... Kampuchia. No no no. Perth. Yeah, that's it.

What the fuck kind of idiot response is that? Jesus Christ. Quality is obviously not job one.

Actually, I can kind of see them making that kind of assessment, as there were people asking about places outside of Seattle, and, of course, ShadowSea is still the face of ShadowLand, so people from around the world probably still use it as a central clearinghouse. On top of that, do you not ever find yourself discussing something, and find your own knowledge-base making it so when someone asks you a simple question, you give a complete answer, or need clarification? To me, their asking "which sprawl?" is a key example of "Never make assumptions." What happens in the Shadows when you make an assumption that turns out to be false?

+Quote Post
Method
post May 17 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #12

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I wandered in at the end but I had a lot of other stuff going on so I wasn't following along very closely. Personally the in character chats are less appealing to me. I think there would be better turnout if you guys went back to the Q&A format (as boring as that may be for you guys...)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post May 17 2009, 01:06 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Ancient History @ May 17 2009, 12:52 AM) *

Ouch. Not a lot to work with there. I'd say with what there was, you all rolled quite well.

Three more months of missing this, and I'm going to plant myself in as a regular.

QUOTE (martindv @ May 17 2009, 01:11 AM) *
Blinders and cursing.

The "idiot response" in question was natural, given there had been a mix of talk between Seattle and LA in the questions previous, and this is representitive of a global virtual forum. That one response aside, we get insight into topics ranging from the Vory, to bodyguarding, the corporate cop shuffle, the fallout of the Tempo war, etc. That and some realtime interaction between shadowtalk regulars.

You get what you want to read out of it, though. If you want to ignore what was laid out and spew hatred, feel free to enjoy your lonely little world.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post May 17 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Method @ May 16 2009, 09:00 PM) *
I wandered in at the end but I had a lot of other stuff going on so I wasn't following along very closely. Personally the in character chats are less appealing to me. I think there would be better turnout if you guys went back to the Q&A format (as boring as that may be for you guys...)

Unfortunately, when we do open chats or Q&As, 2 out of every 3 questions are "When will X be released" and the other questions are generally nit-pick rules questions that we can't answer spur-of-the moment. So Q&As have some issues.

Admittedly, today's chat wasn't the best. I'd be happy to hear suggsetions from fans on what you'd like to see in a chat. Knowing that we can't answer "when will XYZ be released?" questions...

+Quote Post
The Jake
post May 17 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I'm definitely interested in the Vory angle. Obviously a reference to 'Vice'. In my campaign a Vory boss from Moscow has come over to shore up the North American operations (and he happens to be the blood relative and 'favorite uncle' of one of the PCs). In the Ghost Cartel fallout, I expect the Vory to gain a significant edge in the mob war. In my campaign I expect that the Vory will most likely form a temporary truce (if not alliance) with the Komun'go/First Nations outfit.

On that note, I would like to hear more about what becomes of the Komun'go and First Nations. Do they become an entirely new outfit - complete with a new name?

- J.

+Quote Post
Method
post May 17 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #16

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ May 16 2009, 06:12 PM) *
Unfortunately, when we do open chats or Q&As, 2 out of every 3 questions are "When will X be released" and the other questions are generally nit-pick rules questions that we can't answer spur-of-the moment. So Q&As have some issues.

Admittedly, today's chat wasn't the best. I'd be happy to hear suggsetions from fans on what you'd like to see in a chat. Knowing that we can't answer "when will XYZ be released?" questions...

I can certainly see where that would get old. To be fair I should say that I don't dislike the IC chats, I just like the Q&A's better. Its hard to say why. I'm not one of those that perseverates on release dates, but I do enjoy hearing concrete details about what's coming down the pipe. I guess there is plenty of conjecture to be had in the published Shadowtalk, JackPoint teasers, here on DS, etc but not many opportunities to pick the brains of those "in the know".

If the goal is to focus interest on a certain forthcoming release you might consider releasing a short teaser fiction piece with some of the IC hooks a day or two before a Q&A chat? Maybe present it like a shadowy news feed or a leaked data file with all the Shadowtalk you want to touch on embedded in the piece? IIRC you guys started the Ghost Cartels chat in a similar fashion. That would be something I would get into. Or maybe a hybrid IC/OOC chat of some kind, but I'm not sure what that would look like.

Or just make it known that people who ask about release dates will be banned? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post May 17 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Method @ May 17 2009, 03:16 AM) *
If the goal is to focus interest on a certain forthcoming release you might consider releasing a short teaser fiction piece with some of the IC hooks a day or two before a Q&A chat? Maybe present it like a shadowy news feed or a leaked data file with all the Shadowtalk you want to touch on embedded in the piece?

That is an excellent suggestion. A piece of fiction, or a few mini-leaks would provide a focal point for people who plan on attending/contributing. If a single line hook can feed the mind, a teaser is a feast.

I'm a big fan of teasers.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post May 17 2009, 02:55 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

QUOTE (Method @ May 17 2009, 03:16 AM) *
I can certainly see where that would get old. To be fair I should say that I don't dislike the IC chats, I just like the Q&A's better. Its hard to say why. I'm not one of those that perseverates on release dates, but I do enjoy hearing concrete details about what's coming down the pipe. I guess there is plenty of conjecture to be had in the published Shadowtalk, JackPoint teasers, here on DS, etc but not many opportunities to pick the brains of those "in the know".

If the goal is to focus interest on a certain forthcoming release you might consider releasing a short teaser fiction piece with some of the IC hooks a day or two before a Q&A chat? Maybe present it like a shadowy news feed or a leaked data file with all the Shadowtalk you want to touch on embedded in the piece? IIRC you guys started the Ghost Cartels chat in a similar fashion. That would be something I would get into. Or maybe a hybrid IC/OOC chat of some kind, but I'm not sure what that would look like.

Or just make it known that people who ask about release dates will be banned? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

I am from the opposite camp, sorry. I definitely prefer the IC chatter. I would however support a hybrid chat - or at the very least, do half/half.

I am just pissed off I keep missing out. My timezone doesn't help much.

On a related note, I definitely think release dates should be discussed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
Red_Cap
post May 17 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,346

I prefer the IC chatter, too. I'd partake, but circumstances always seem to conspire against it.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post May 17 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (The Jake @ May 16 2009, 09:55 PM) *
On a related note, I definitely think release dates should be discussed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- J.

You know what happens when we give release dates? We miss them, and then people get crankier than my 4 year old when he's lost his favorite droid. Hence, release dates come when books are physically in our warehouse. Anything else just gets us in trouble. So, discussing release dates is not going to happen. Keeping folks up to date on project progress -- well, we're attempting to do so via our blog posts on SR4.com. But again, nothing concrete. No saying, "in this quarter" or "this will be next" because you know what? It changes. An important piece of artwork doesn't get delivered. We learn the printer has eighteen billion other projects before ours, and it'll take an extra month. A giant snowstorm cripples transportation networks in the Pacific NW. Someone's kid gets pnemonia, they get behind on their project, and suddenly a different project ends up being ready for layout first. Stuff happens, dates get missed, and fans riot... (okay, maybe not riot. Whine. Moan. Send mean emails. That sort of thing.)

Hence, no release dates.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Zormal
post May 17 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,928

I like the No release dates -rule. It would anyway be of no use to us fans to get a date early on, only to find out it doesn't stick. And if you'd force things out just because of a release date, that would be even worse.

No, I truly appreciate this style of honest effort. Especially because you do keep us posted on what's happening.

This latest chat was a bit... thin, but I don't think there was anything fundamentally wrong about the way you did it. Maybe you could have a few ideas of 'latest happenings' at hand you could turn to, if the crowd isn't so active. Personally, I enjoy these little tidbits of fluff that give thoughts on what to focus on my games. And of course, I happily devour every little detail of upcoming books, but I'm sure you know that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

These things happen. Don't sweat it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Cardul
post May 17 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ May 16 2009, 10:19 PM) *
You know what happens when we give release dates? We miss them, and then people get crankier than my 4 year old when he's lost his favorite droid.

Aff, just look at the SR novels...*grumps* Personally, I wish we were getting previews of the SR novel like the Battletech player are getting previews of the Battletech: Dark Age novel...

Heck, it would be nice to know the NAME of the first SR Novel, since we know that it is by Mel Odom.

And, TE, I really hope people are not sending you mean e-mails...that is just stupid..we all understand it is those foreign printers who are responsible for the delays in everything, not you guys. Well, them and U.S. Customs.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 17 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

Personally, I favor a policy wherein every request for a release date is met with the official response of "No, my little smurflings, not far now."

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 17 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_novels
See this list?
Daughter of the Dragon was the last Novel that got translated.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post May 17 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

IC chat about a specific project might make more sense if its done after the project so folks can tailor there questions to the material? (Unless devs just want to get on and play out a script to give some teasers.) As far as rules questions and nit pick stuff, couldn't those things be posted prior to chat so devs had a chance to answer them on chat day? (Like "Why don't any rotor craft have sensors?") Also agree with the no release dates, just chomping at the bit for all the goodness behind that dam of creativity.

Edit: A segment with news like this is what we've been doing in the last 30 days and this is what we expect to be working on in the next 30 might offer the kind of insight that folks sending angry letters might need to calm then down. (Then again it might require a heavier blunt object.)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.