Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun 4e and totems
Falling Icicle
post May 27 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,212

Hi, I just recently got the 4th edition book for Shadowrun. I played 2nd and 3rd edition years ago. It seems that in the new edition, not only do Shamans have to pay 5 extra points just to have a totem spirit (apparently they don't even need to have one anymore), but hermetics can get a "mentor spirit" as well? Am I understanding this correctly?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Malachi
post May 27 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Correct. There are also no more domains for spirits.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post May 27 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

Yes. You have read that correctly.

Totems are optional for Shamans. Personally, I consider this similar to shamans from past editions who took Coyote as a mentor or who cycled through totems (can't recall which book that was from).

As for Hermetics and others who couldn't have them before... well... I just decided to go with it. It made enough sense to me that they could have formed a bond with a Jungian Archetype, free spirit, or something similar.

Also make note of differences in summoning between editions. No more Domains. Also, Hermetics and Shamans summon spirits in a (game mechanically) similar fashion now.

-paws

+Quote Post
Falling Icicle
post May 27 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,212

Cool, thanks.

So how do spirits work without domains? Can they be summoned anywhere and go anywhere?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post May 27 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Yes, pretty much.

+Quote Post
Psikerlord
post May 28 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,094

There is still some left over aspect to powers and domains though. Some powers, for example the movement power I think, talk about affecting targets in the spirit's "domain". So while an earth elemental could use movement on a car on the ground (it's domain?), an air elemental could not (but it could use the power on a flying drone in the air, while the earth elemental couldn't). I think. I don't have the books with me right now.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.