IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> posts with 12 pages of replies, do you read them?
Red-ROM
post Jun 13 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,787

whats the etiquette here?

I see a topic that interests me, I have a thought to add, but has it been stated already in the 200 replies that are posted ahead of me? do you get irritated when you're posting in a thread, it turns into a discussion, and then people start posting after reading the opening blurb and just repeat stuff that's already been said?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 13 2009, 03:18 AM
Post #2

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I think this is inevitable when threads get ridiculously long. I often find that I want to add to such posts but I don't have the time to read thru page after page of of random unrelated arguments about something or other (which invariably spring up in such threads). I just apologize in advance if my comments had already been discussed and go with it. And, hey, maybe your comment will be the one that brings the thread back on topic.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jun 13 2009, 03:43 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

ROFL.

God no.

Most of the time, you click on page 12+ and the topic has inevitably meandered well off the beaten path and no longer resembles the original topic.

Unless its one I started. At which point I may cringe as I click it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 13 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

But.. 200 posts is only 2 pages worth.

Maybe it's OCD, but I actually read every single post in a thread before responding. No matter what. I also follow threads I've posted in to their deathes.

+Quote Post
Bert
post Jun 13 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 17,139

Dood... Heath, have you checked out the planet of drop bears post?
It's on page 111 now. THAT is some havey reading.
Seriously though, I do the same thing. What else am I supposed to do at work?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) Bert

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jun 13 2009, 03:58 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Pretty much any thread that long that I post into I was reading from the start.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 13 2009, 04:12 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Bert @ Jun 13 2009, 04:55 AM) *

I have no intent to reply to that thread, but I would read the posts from beginning to end if I had any desire to make a reply.

Even though I'm not going to post in it I've read 300 or so posts.

+Quote Post
Bert
post Jun 13 2009, 04:20 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,139

Yeah, I can dig that. Around that time I get my fill of a topic to the point where I don't have anything else to add...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) Bert

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 13 2009, 04:25 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

If it is a thread I'm really interested in I will usually read page 1, continue to page two if the posts have a flow to them, and continue this till the posts go off topic. I then go to the last page, go back a couple of pages and read to the end. If my opinion will and anything I will post it, otherwise I leave the thread alone. I especially try to avoid threads that anger me as that has got me into trouble in the past.

I do agree with Heath though, you should be as informed as humanly possible before posting to a thread as you reduce redundant comments, I unfortunately am a very poor reader and can't always read through the sludge to get to the meat.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 13 2009, 04:31 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 12 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Pretty much any thread that long that I post into I was reading from the start.

Same here, with the exception of some really old ones.

But I don't read many threads to start with, so it's easy to skip a long one.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jun 13 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #11

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Well to be honest, I tend to I post in such threads early on and then loose interest when the thread starts to wander into Troll Country. That seems be more common, anyway.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jun 13 2009, 05:26 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

When certain posters start repeating themselves I tend to ... uh... skim. I especially take note of certain posters who are saying nothing new and the silly posters replying to them and skim heartily.

Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily, for reasons of D. E. F." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Your stupid!" Reply, "No, not my stupid, you're stupid." Ad infinitum.

Maybe you've seen it. Somewhere. On this board. Currently.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jun 13 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

if the topic holds my interest better than anything around me yes. Which lately hasn't been many, as I have come down with addiction latina severe.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 13 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

If the topic is very interesting, i read the first and the last 2 pages. Not more.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 13 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #15

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I just assume that with any thread over eight pages, the topic has already become Cain talking about Edge rules.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 13 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Only if i have been with the thread since page 3 or 4 <.< . .
After that, i check first page and then go to last page.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jun 13 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

I always read all the post before i post, i just think that's common courtecy, But i haven't ever seen a topic go even to 10 pages.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 13 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #18

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Bert @ Jun 12 2009, 11:55 PM) *

AND YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HANG ON EVERY WORD!!

In other threads, as long as your response isn't a page-long diatribe, I can fully understand skimming/skipping to contribute your two-line thought. Read the first three pages and the last page and GENERALLY that will get you in the flow of things.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Jun 13 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 13 2009, 06:08 AM) *
whats the etiquette here?

I see a topic that interests me, I have a thought to add, but has it been stated already in the 200 replies that are posted ahead of me? do you get irritated when you're posting in a thread, it turns into a discussion, and then people start posting after reading the opening blurb and just repeat stuff that's already been said?

Like with this one I read the top post, reply to that and not slog through hours of divergence. I should have better things to do with my life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Jun 13 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

If I'm posting I'll read them all if I'm surfing and I see its 11 pages off topic I'll check out first and last pages.

+Quote Post
Kingboy
post Jun 13 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,907

QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 13 2009, 05:05 AM) *
I just assume that with any thread over eight pages, the topic has already become Cain talking about Edge rules.

I do believe that may have to be sigged Sir... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jun 13 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #22

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (Kingboy @ Jun 13 2009, 05:10 PM) *
I do believe that may have to be sigged Sir... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

There's no greater compliment than being sigged.

K.

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 13 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 13 2009, 11:05 AM) *

I just determine that by checking for clusters of "You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Cain" on the most recent page.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jun 13 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Yes, I read through all the replies. That is the whole damn point of using a message board. So that our conversations can be recorded and fully appreciated and considered in a way that verbal communication between two people can't.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jun 13 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 13 2009, 06:54 AM) *
I always read all the post before i post, i just think that's common courtecy, But i haven't ever seen a topic go even to 10 pages.

Such as "4th Edition did hurt my soul..." (though locked), "HOW DO ROLEPLAY ACROSS GENDER!?!" (at 7 pages), "Why is Mystic Adept cheaper than Magician?" (8 pages), "What Do You Think of the Matrix Rules?" (10 pages and 1 post shy of 11), "Augmentation Q&A" (at a whopping 32 pages), or "Ghost Cartels PDF Available!" (8 pages).

And that's just topics that have been active in the last 3 weeks.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.