Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: posts with 12 pages of replies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Red-ROM
whats the etiquette here?

I see a topic that interests me, I have a thought to add, but has it been stated already in the 200 replies that are posted ahead of me? do you get irritated when you're posting in a thread, it turns into a discussion, and then people start posting after reading the opening blurb and just repeat stuff that's already been said?
Method
I think this is inevitable when threads get ridiculously long. I often find that I want to add to such posts but I don't have the time to read thru page after page of of random unrelated arguments about something or other (which invariably spring up in such threads). I just apologize in advance if my comments had already been discussed and go with it. And, hey, maybe your comment will be the one that brings the thread back on topic.
The Jake
ROFL.

God no.

Most of the time, you click on page 12+ and the topic has inevitably meandered well off the beaten path and no longer resembles the original topic.

Unless its one I started. At which point I may cringe as I click it... frown.gif

- J.
Heath Robinson
But.. 200 posts is only 2 pages worth.

Maybe it's OCD, but I actually read every single post in a thread before responding. No matter what. I also follow threads I've posted in to their deathes.
Bert
Dood... Heath, have you checked out the planet of drop bears post?
It's on page 111 now. THAT is some havey reading.
Seriously though, I do the same thing. What else am I supposed to do at work?
cyber.gif Bert
kzt
Pretty much any thread that long that I post into I was reading from the start.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Bert @ Jun 13 2009, 04:55 AM) *

I have no intent to reply to that thread, but I would read the posts from beginning to end if I had any desire to make a reply.

Even though I'm not going to post in it I've read 300 or so posts.
Bert
Yeah, I can dig that. Around that time I get my fill of a topic to the point where I don't have anything else to add...
cyber.gif Bert
TBRMInsanity
If it is a thread I'm really interested in I will usually read page 1, continue to page two if the posts have a flow to them, and continue this till the posts go off topic. I then go to the last page, go back a couple of pages and read to the end. If my opinion will and anything I will post it, otherwise I leave the thread alone. I especially try to avoid threads that anger me as that has got me into trouble in the past.

I do agree with Heath though, you should be as informed as humanly possible before posting to a thread as you reduce redundant comments, I unfortunately am a very poor reader and can't always read through the sludge to get to the meat.
Draco18s
QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 12 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Pretty much any thread that long that I post into I was reading from the start.

Same here, with the exception of some really old ones.

But I don't read many threads to start with, so it's easy to skip a long one.
Method
Well to be honest, I tend to I post in such threads early on and then loose interest when the thread starts to wander into Troll Country. That seems be more common, anyway.
Da9iel
When certain posters start repeating themselves I tend to ... uh... skim. I especially take note of certain posters who are saying nothing new and the silly posters replying to them and skim heartily.

Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily, for reasons of D. E. F." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Are too! Arguments A. B. C." Reply, "Not necessarily. Other reasons." Post, "Your stupid!" Reply, "No, not my stupid, you're stupid." Ad infinitum.

Maybe you've seen it. Somewhere. On this board. Currently.
Angelone
if the topic holds my interest better than anything around me yes. Which lately hasn't been many, as I have come down with addiction latina severe.
Machiavelli
If the topic is very interesting, i read the first and the last 2 pages. Not more.
knasser
I just assume that with any thread over eight pages, the topic has already become Cain talking about Edge rules.

wink.gif
Stahlseele
Only if i have been with the thread since page 3 or 4 <.< . .
After that, i check first page and then go to last page.
Mäx
I always read all the post before i post, i just think that's common courtecy, But i haven't ever seen a topic go even to 10 pages.
nezumi
QUOTE (Bert @ Jun 12 2009, 11:55 PM) *

AND YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HANG ON EVERY WORD!!

In other threads, as long as your response isn't a page-long diatribe, I can fully understand skimming/skipping to contribute your two-line thought. Read the first three pages and the last page and GENERALLY that will get you in the flow of things.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jun 13 2009, 06:08 AM) *
whats the etiquette here?

I see a topic that interests me, I have a thought to add, but has it been stated already in the 200 replies that are posted ahead of me? do you get irritated when you're posting in a thread, it turns into a discussion, and then people start posting after reading the opening blurb and just repeat stuff that's already been said?

Like with this one I read the top post, reply to that and not slog through hours of divergence. I should have better things to do with my life nyahnyah.gif
Prime Mover
If I'm posting I'll read them all if I'm surfing and I see its 11 pages off topic I'll check out first and last pages.
Kingboy
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 13 2009, 05:05 AM) *
I just assume that with any thread over eight pages, the topic has already become Cain talking about Edge rules.

I do believe that may have to be sigged Sir... smile.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Kingboy @ Jun 13 2009, 05:10 PM) *
I do believe that may have to be sigged Sir... smile.gif

rotfl.gif grinbig.gif

There's no greater compliment than being sigged.

K.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 13 2009, 11:05 AM) *

I just determine that by checking for clusters of "You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Cain" on the most recent page.
Wounded Ronin
Yes, I read through all the replies. That is the whole damn point of using a message board. So that our conversations can be recorded and fully appreciated and considered in a way that verbal communication between two people can't.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 13 2009, 06:54 AM) *
I always read all the post before i post, i just think that's common courtecy, But i haven't ever seen a topic go even to 10 pages.

Such as "4th Edition did hurt my soul..." (though locked), "HOW DO ROLEPLAY ACROSS GENDER!?!" (at 7 pages), "Why is Mystic Adept cheaper than Magician?" (8 pages), "What Do You Think of the Matrix Rules?" (10 pages and 1 post shy of 11), "Augmentation Q&A" (at a whopping 32 pages), or "Ghost Cartels PDF Available!" (8 pages).

And that's just topics that have been active in the last 3 weeks.
Mäx
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 13 2009, 09:56 PM) *
Such as "4th Edition did hurt my soul..." (though locked)

At the beginning of 4:page
"HOW DO ROLEPLAY ACROSS GENDER!?!"

Little over 1 and half page
"Why is Mystic Adept cheaper than Magician?"

Almost 3 pages
"What Do You Think of the Matrix Rules?"

at the beginning of the 3:page
"Augmentation Q&A"

Almost 9 pages

So i say again, ihave never seen a topic go to 10 pages. grinbig.gif

Bob Lord of Evil
On RPGnet I have gone through about a third of the various incarnations of Motivational Posters which can go for hundreds of pages. But in general if the topic is over 10 pages I am not going to read everything and if it should happen that my 2 cents is a repost of somebody else *shrug* oh, well.

Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 13 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Such as "4th Edition did hurt my soul..." (though locked), "HOW DO ROLEPLAY ACROSS GENDER!?!" (at 7 pages), "Why is Mystic Adept cheaper than Magician?" (8 pages), "What Do You Think of the Matrix Rules?" (10 pages and 1 post shy of 11), "Augmentation Q&A" (at a whopping 32 pages), or "Ghost Cartels PDF Available!" (8 pages).

And that's just topics that have been active in the last 3 weeks.

Max and I both see 100 posts a page.

Just thought you'd need to know that, since it's pretty important to understanding his facetious remarks.
Kingboy
Facetious bordering on "not clever"...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kingboy @ Jun 13 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Facetious bordering on "not clever"...

Quite. As I, and most other people on this forum, are using the forum default 25 replies per page.
Mäx
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 13 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Quite. As I, and most other people on this forum, are using the forum default 25 replies per page.

I really can't understand why anyone willingly does that, as 100post/page makes reading topic so much easier when most of them don't go over 1 page.
Draco18s
Because it gives us an idea of how much reading is involved before clicking on a link. If it's a brand new thread at 3 pages, that's an hour of my time.
Mäx
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 15 2009, 12:35 AM) *
Because it gives us an idea of how much reading is involved before clicking on a link. If it's a brand new thread at 3 pages, that's an hour of my time.

Thats what the number of replys colum is for.
knasser
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 14 2009, 10:23 PM) *
I really can't understand why anyone willingly does that, as 100post/page makes reading topic so much easier when most of them don't go over 1 page.

If I don't want to read a 100 post thread in one go, or if I'm multi-tasking, being able to remember that I was near the bottom of Page 3 is a great deal easier than remembering I was on Post 67. Yes, I can book mark individual posts but that's untidy and even more so when I'm moving from reading on one device to another. Breaking it all up helps track things. Especially when new posts appear.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 14 2009, 05:37 PM) *
Thats what the number of replys colum is for.

And if it's a thread that I've previously read that gained 57 replies since I last read it, pushing the total to only 73....?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012