Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Combat Medic, Making the best of the best without magic
St Guardian
post Jun 22 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,178

I found a forum of a Combat Medic/Mage that looked very interesting. It seem to work very well except I am not into magic as much. Simply because I have made maybe 3 characters and using one of them in a compaign that for some reason, is still alive. So what I want to do is work out a way to make a Combat Medic but using the adept ability.

The reason why is because the adept has a lot of things that make it easier to deal with combat and still have high stats for medical purposes. Also, with magic, you can't be much of a healer due to you can heal a lot more per hits.

So the question arises now, can someone help me build a decent shadowrunner that's a combat medic?

The skill groups I have is close quarters combat, Medical group, and stealth in that order. Combat a 4, medical a 3, and stealth at 2 (maybe more if I got anything left to chew with).

What species should I choose since I'm going to be a combat doctor? So I choose a vampire, elf, dwarf, ghoul, etc?

Is there attributes I should only pick up for and let the rest kind of slack?

Should I really go for adept or kind of avoid that because it will chew up my points for magic? If I should choose adept, any suggested powers I should get?

If you have example characters I can dance around/use, I would be grateful. I didn't look in the RP forum due to the fact I'm not planning to RP via forums. So please pardon me when you read this.

That's pretty much what I wanted help with. I just like being the cleric/medic because that's the one that's really satisfying. Also, the gear is something I got under wraps if you look underneath my other forum I created. I'll update the post of the list later tonight.

Love and peace,
SG
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DuctShuiTengu
post Jun 22 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,162

From an efficiency standpoint, don't take the Close Combat skill group. There's too much overlap in what the three skills that make it up do - the only reason why, for instance, you'd ever want to have the clubs skill when you already have blades is stun batons; and if you're taking clubs to get those, blades don't do enough extra damage to merit a second skill. Once you have either of these, unarmed is only useful if you're really worried about being caught without a weapon - but between the easily concealed options within those categories, and the wealth of improvised weapons, being unable to get a weapon is rarely a concern (on the other hand, if you're going to invest in bone lacing or the appropriate adept powers, unarmed can easily match clubs and blades for damage output).

That said, for some concepts, there's something very cool about being able to kill someone with more-or-less any weapon you get your hands on - mechanical efficiency be damned.

Adept powers... Improved Ability has the potential to be tremendously useful for your character - allowing you to eventually get those skills up to 9. If you want to go unarmed, Killing Hands and Critical Strike make a good starting point for building those up as a weapon. Combat Sense is always useful for avoiding getting shot, and Street Magic has a lot of little powers that can help if you're wanting to do Stealth.

Metatype, I'd probably go Ork. The penalty to logic is a bit annoying for a medic, but not too bad (one die difference isn't really that bad), while the bonuses to strength and body give you a good start on close combat and survivability out of the gate.

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Jun 22 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

An adept is definitely a better healer then a mundane, here i tossed together a ghoul adept for you that works for tanamous for ample food supply.
You may want to emphasize more on the fighting, as for first aid he rolls 20 dice as is, damage not healed is then transferred via empathic healing (11 dice) and taken care of with first aid again, which is pretty munchkinish but covered by the rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

[ Spoiler ]

/edit
magic rating was wrong, sorry xD

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 23 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Jun 22 2009, 04:30 PM) *
An adept is definitely a better healer then a mundane, here i tossed together a ghoul adept for you that works for tanamous for ample food supply.
You may want to emphasize more on the fighting, as for first aid he rolls 20 dice as is, damage not healed is then transferred via empathic healing (11 dice) and taken care of with first aid again, which is pretty munchkinish but covered by the rules. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

[ Spoiler ]

MAx on the First Aid Skill is 9, not 10 (Maximum Skill 6, maximum Augment of +3 for a total of 9), other than that... Nice...

+Quote Post
St Guardian
post Jun 23 2009, 03:21 AM
Post #5

Target

The only problem with ghoul is you lose your sight immediately, if I remember right. Then you would have to get cyber eyes and that's more essence off the top. Can ghouls pretty much spread their disease just by touching someone?

Other than that, I don't find anything wrong with the character. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Love and peace,
SG

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 23 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Doc Ripper is the most effective Combat Medic you can have.

It's been a while, so I'll post a slightly upgraded version. You could just use Doc Ripper wholesale, or take it as a checklist of ways to boost your First Aid DP.

[ Spoiler ]

You need to survive combat to actually heal people. Remember the Threshold of 2 on your First Aid checks, and the fact that you can heal Stun damage, and Drain. Always do your heala-majig before Magic gets applied.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 23 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

A friend told me that you could get up to something like 40 dice in First Aid, but the character is a one trick poney (and can't heal more than 6 damage boxes anyway).
One of my players plays an ork combat medic in my current campaign. I don't know his exact stats but he's cybered, has a decent first aid pool, a rutheniumized combat armor and a license for a service similar to Doc Wagon so that he can actually wear it (and carry an assault rifle) without having too much trouble with the police.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jun 23 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (St Guardian @ Jun 23 2009, 06:21 AM) *
The only problem with ghoul is you lose your sight immediately, if I remember right. Then you would have to get cyber eyes and that's more essence off the top. Can ghouls pretty much spread their disease just by touching someone?

Other than that, I don't find anything wrong with the character. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Love and peace,
SG

Runner's Companion have list of qualities for Infected: Infertile Infected (p.82) (Negative quality),and no more
danger to infect others..

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 23 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Nothing says "combat medic you can trust" like a vampire or a ghoul.

+Quote Post
Eugene
post Jun 23 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,625

Back in SR3 I did play a ghoul doctor. A lot of fun times making fellow players nervous...

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jun 23 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (Eugene @ Jun 23 2009, 05:07 PM) *
Back in SR3 I did play a ghoul doctor. A lot of fun times making fellow players nervous...

"Tipping your Street Doc is encouraged" but with ghoul Doc tipping is like:
Would you like to pay your tip Yen or meat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
St Guardian
post Jun 23 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Target

Where do I find heightened concentration as an adept power?

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jun 24 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Digital Grimoire. It's a 1 pp Adept power that allows you to spend a Complex action to ignore a single negative modifier smaller than your Magic rating.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.