IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tactical Vehicle combat, What the frag is with the the drive requirement?
Kithanalane
post Jun 23 2009, 01:34 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,310

My soon to be new GM and I were hashing out some of the vehicle combat rules to make sure we understood them completely. While looking over the Tactical vehicle combat rules it states that a complex action must be taken to drive a vehicle or the vehicle loses control. does this mean that every turn the driver must make a vehicle test or does he just looses 1 pass to driving? we are just not clear on this particular rule. Please help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 23 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Kithanalane @ Jun 22 2009, 08:34 PM) *
My soon to be new GM and I were hashing out some of the vehicle combat rules to make sure we understood them completely. While looking over the Tactical vehicle combat rules it states that a complex action must be taken to drive a vehicle or the vehicle loses control. does this mean that every turn the driver must make a vehicle test or does he just looses 1 pass to driving? we are just not clear on this particular rule. Please help

1 pass per turn is spent on it.

or of course, if you're really confident in your ability to pass the crash test, you can always not spend the IP. i won't say it's a good idea though.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 23 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 22 2009, 07:09 PM) *
1 pass per turn is spent on it.

or of course, if you're really confident in your ability to pass the crash test, you can always not spend the IP. i won't say it's a good idea though.

Ditto... though it is an option, it is not always a good one...

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Jun 23 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Keep in mind that also applies to drones. Drones by default get 3 IP, so they have to burn one IP each round on maneuver tests, assuming they are in motion. Lots of ground-based guard drones may spend time stationary, where they get all 3 IP for scanning/shooting. Aircraft pretty much always have to burn an IP, although you might make an exception for drifting blimps.

Don't forget that in VR mode the thresholds are -2, which makes big difference for crash tests.

Personally I'd think more vehicles would have rigger boxes to allow full VR driving, since it gives so much (multiple IPs, reduced thresholds for tests).

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 23 2009, 03:17 AM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 22 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Don't forget that in VR mode the thresholds are -2, which makes big difference for crash tests.

Personally I'd think more vehicles would have rigger boxes to allow full VR driving, since it gives so much (multiple IPs, reduced thresholds for tests).

Where's the bit about thresholds -2 and multiple IP's? I see +2 dice (for the control rig, by default), and I remember -1 threshold...where's the rest come in?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 23 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 22 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Where's the bit about thresholds -2 and multiple IP's? I see +2 dice (for the control rig, by default), and I remember -1 threshold...where's the rest come in?

I also remember -1 for VR control to the thresholds...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 23 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

the multiple IPs is because when rigging you are of necessity in full VR, and when in full VR you have multiple IPs.

i don't know where he thinks the other -1 threshold came from, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 23 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

For those who are curious about a reference... the BBB (SR4) on page 159, Heading: Driving with Augmented or Virtual Reality...

LAst sentence states: "Characters who are driving a vehicle through virtual reality receive a -1 Threshold modifier to all Vehicle Tests."... the same text is on page 168 of the Anniversary edition PDF...

So yes, it is only a -1 (not -2 as was previously stated)...

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 24 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

No problem. I wasn't being nitpicky, I was just wondering if there was another -1 my latest character should be getting, that I hadn't found yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 24 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 23 2009, 05:59 PM) *
No problem. I wasn't being nitpicky, I was just wondering if there was another -1 my latest character should be getting, that I hadn't found yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Wouldn't that be nice... yep, nice indeed...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.