Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tactical Vehicle combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kithanalane
My soon to be new GM and I were hashing out some of the vehicle combat rules to make sure we understood them completely. While looking over the Tactical vehicle combat rules it states that a complex action must be taken to drive a vehicle or the vehicle loses control. does this mean that every turn the driver must make a vehicle test or does he just looses 1 pass to driving? we are just not clear on this particular rule. Please help
Jaid
QUOTE (Kithanalane @ Jun 22 2009, 08:34 PM) *
My soon to be new GM and I were hashing out some of the vehicle combat rules to make sure we understood them completely. While looking over the Tactical vehicle combat rules it states that a complex action must be taken to drive a vehicle or the vehicle loses control. does this mean that every turn the driver must make a vehicle test or does he just looses 1 pass to driving? we are just not clear on this particular rule. Please help

1 pass per turn is spent on it.

or of course, if you're really confident in your ability to pass the crash test, you can always not spend the IP. i won't say it's a good idea though.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 22 2009, 07:09 PM) *
1 pass per turn is spent on it.

or of course, if you're really confident in your ability to pass the crash test, you can always not spend the IP. i won't say it's a good idea though.

Ditto... though it is an option, it is not always a good one...
kigmatzomat
Keep in mind that also applies to drones. Drones by default get 3 IP, so they have to burn one IP each round on maneuver tests, assuming they are in motion. Lots of ground-based guard drones may spend time stationary, where they get all 3 IP for scanning/shooting. Aircraft pretty much always have to burn an IP, although you might make an exception for drifting blimps.

Don't forget that in VR mode the thresholds are -2, which makes big difference for crash tests.

Personally I'd think more vehicles would have rigger boxes to allow full VR driving, since it gives so much (multiple IPs, reduced thresholds for tests).

Critias
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jun 22 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Don't forget that in VR mode the thresholds are -2, which makes big difference for crash tests.

Personally I'd think more vehicles would have rigger boxes to allow full VR driving, since it gives so much (multiple IPs, reduced thresholds for tests).

Where's the bit about thresholds -2 and multiple IP's? I see +2 dice (for the control rig, by default), and I remember -1 threshold...where's the rest come in?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 22 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Where's the bit about thresholds -2 and multiple IP's? I see +2 dice (for the control rig, by default), and I remember -1 threshold...where's the rest come in?

I also remember -1 for VR control to the thresholds...
Jaid
the multiple IPs is because when rigging you are of necessity in full VR, and when in full VR you have multiple IPs.

i don't know where he thinks the other -1 threshold came from, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
For those who are curious about a reference... the BBB (SR4) on page 159, Heading: Driving with Augmented or Virtual Reality...

LAst sentence states: "Characters who are driving a vehicle through virtual reality receive a -1 Threshold modifier to all Vehicle Tests."... the same text is on page 168 of the Anniversary edition PDF...

So yes, it is only a -1 (not -2 as was previously stated)...
Critias
No problem. I wasn't being nitpicky, I was just wondering if there was another -1 my latest character should be getting, that I hadn't found yet. cyber.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 23 2009, 05:59 PM) *
No problem. I wasn't being nitpicky, I was just wondering if there was another -1 my latest character should be getting, that I hadn't found yet. cyber.gif

Wouldn't that be nice... yep, nice indeed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012