Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vampires and Feeding, The legal kind
Starmage21
post Jun 25 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,448

Well, some nations/corps recognize Vampires (HMHVV Infected) as legal citizens, so how do you suppose they deal with the essence requirements of feeding? Does Vampire A just show up at the closest prison and visit death row once every 6(ish) months?

Opinions and thoughts?

yes im bored.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Jun 25 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

IIRC, critters have essence, too. It's not illegal to butcher animals in most countries.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 25 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,166

QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jun 25 2009, 12:09 PM) *
IIRC, critters have essence, too. It's not illegal to butcher animals in most countries.

Unfortunately, you can't use an animal. I had to go back and double check myself...

P.298, SR4A: Essence Loss

Critters with Essence Loss have no actual Essence of their own and must drain Essence from others in order to survive. Beings with Essence Loss lose 1 point of Essence every lunar cycle (1 month). As Essence decreases, Magic may also be affected (see p. 68).
If a creature is reduced to 0 Essence, it will die in (Body + Willpower) days if it does not replenish itself. A creature in this state is extremely dangerous…quot;a starved predator that hunts for fresh Essence with mindless ferocity.

P.294, SR4A: Essence Drain

Type: P • Action: Complex • Range: Touch • Duration: Permanent

The Essence Drain power allows a being to drain the Essence from another character, adding drained Essence to the critter’s own. Essence Drain can only target physical sentient beings (characters and nonastral critters with the Sentience power).

Emphasis mine.

Most governments that recognize the infected as full citizens would probably recognize the "sentient" critters as well, and that would make them off limits.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Jun 25 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

So, the question then still is: How then do they survive, being a legal entity, without breaking the law (i.e. Killing)?

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Jun 25 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

Probably they pay squatters or junkies to feed on them.
There are always enough desperate people if the price is right.

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 25 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Chibu @ Jun 25 2009, 03:05 PM) *
So, the question then still is: How then do they survive, being a legal entity, without breaking the law (i.e. Killing)?

Well, technically it's not "killing" until they drain the last ESS point...

But I don't know. I assumed they had to do it on the sly. And remember, if you don't have a SiN but the Vampire does (meaning they're a citizen and you're NOT), the government won't say a word because YOU don't "officially" exist, and have no "rights" that they need to protect - not even the fundamental right to your own life.

Life on the street's ugly without a SiN.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 25 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jun 25 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Well, some nations/corps recognize Vampires (HMHVV Infected) as legal citizens, so how do you suppose they deal with the essence requirements of feeding? Does Vampire A just show up at the closest prison and visit death row once every 6(ish) months?

Opinions and thoughts?

yes im bored.

which nations and corps are those, specifically? i've been trying to figure out which ones allow vampires to gain citizenship, and i can't for the life of me figure it out.

+Quote Post
Machine_From_God
post Jun 25 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 17,313

Good question; perhaps it is just tactfully not raised? And objecting to granting vampire's rights probably gets you cast as a racist persecuting the poor, poor vampire...who eats people's souls apparently. Well, a vampire could always hunt ghouls in the less enlightened parts of the world, or sentient critters that don't have similar rights.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 25 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

While some nations and corps recognize Ghouls, I'm trying to think of one that recognizes vampires. Asamando is the only one coming to mind where it'd be possible (although it's not specified).

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 25 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 25 2009, 06:15 PM) *
While some nations and corps recognize Ghouls, I'm trying to think of one that recognizes vampires. Asamando is the only one coming to mind where it'd be possible (although it's not specified).

yeah, that's basically what i was thinking. i'm just trying to figure out whether or not we're discussing something that's canon, or something that the OP read about a specific person's campaign setting (or misread elsewhere) and such...

+Quote Post
Kerenshara
post Jun 26 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 25 2009, 06:50 PM) *
yeah, that's basically what i was thinking. i'm just trying to figure out whether or not we're discussing something that's canon, or something that the OP read about a specific person's campaign setting (or misread elsewhere) and such...

Canon or not, it's a good point I haven't seen (yet) discussed in the RAW. I mean, as written, you're a full SiNner, so you're a citizen. You get bitten, drained and turn. You still have a SiN. That means you're still a citizen with all the rights and blah blah blah. So by extension, unless there was a law STRIPPING you when you get infected, they must by definition recognize SOME of the infected.

+Quote Post
Tiger Eyes
post Jun 26 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,508

QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Jun 25 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Canon or not, it's a good point I haven't seen (yet) discussed in the RAW. I mean, as written, you're a full SiNner, so you're a citizen. You get bitten, drained and turn. You still have a SiN. That means you're still a citizen with all the rights and blah blah blah. So by extension, unless there was a law STRIPPING you when you get infected, they must by definition recognize SOME of the infected.

Let's take the UCAS for example, and by that, Seattle. The UCAS allows "many" infected who were previously citizens and became infected to retain their citizenship, but their SIN is automatically transfered to a Criminal SIN and they must agree to 24 hour monitoring. Note that the UCAS and CAS both still pay bounties on the infected. I don't believe vampires are included in that group, but Ghouls, for example, are. Which means that your Criminal SIN flagging you as a Ghoul is also an easy way for any bounty hunter to track you down, shoot you, and collect a bounty. Now the bounty is only 1,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , and it's not "actively" enforced in many areas--but still, would you want to risk that? In the UCAS, there's currently legislation being considered that would strike the bounties for Ghouls and Loup-Garou (but not the other infected). FYI, the bounty on vampires is 6,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) .

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 26 2009, 01:27 AM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

As a vampire, you could presumably pay for services rendered as well as associated healthcare benefits.

For example, if you pay to Essense Drain someone and offer one of the genetech treatments to restore their Essense before they die from it, I do not see why everything would not be legal and aboveboard.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Jun 26 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

Revitalization therapy for one full point of essence costs $275,000. If you can afford to shell that out every month on top of a meaningful Lifestyle, you don't have to worry about Detective Hardnose knocking on your door.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jun 26 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 25 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Possible. Let me re-read Runner's Companion again. There might be a hint of a reference there to what I was thinking.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 26 2009, 07:00 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jun 26 2009, 02:02 AM) *
Let's take the UCAS for example, and by that, Seattle. The UCAS allows "many" infected who were previously citizens and became infected to retain their citizenship, but their SIN is automatically transfered to a Criminal SIN and they must agree to 24 hour monitoring. Note that the UCAS and CAS both still pay bounties on the infected. I don't believe vampires are included in that group, but Ghouls, for example, are. Which means that your Criminal SIN flagging you as a Ghoul is also an easy way for any bounty hunter to track you down, shoot you, and collect a bounty. Now the bounty is only 1,500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , and it's not "actively" enforced in many areas--but still, would you want to risk that? In the UCAS, there's currently legislation being considered that would strike the bounties for Ghouls and Loup-Garou (but not the other infected). FYI, the bounty on vampires is 6,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) .
1.500 Nuyen is pretty lame for an ghoul. They are so damn infectious that i think hunting them is not only a pain in the ass, but also as dangerous as hunting aliens in the corresponding movie. One drop of blood, one scratch...finito...you become dual natured and stinky.^^ If i were the government, i would pay more to prevent my citizens beeing infected. In this respect, i don´t understand the relatively high bounty on the vampire.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 26 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Just because your a citizen doesn't mean the law changes in reguards to assault. You would have to find willing victims, (plenty of people would sell their essence for quick cash, they don't know what they are missing), do it illegally without getting caught, or don't do it to people the law enforcement care about. Sapient critters and SINless come to mind.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 26 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

And as an Shadowrunner you always have the option to feed on your near-dead enemies. ^^

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Jun 26 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

I'm sure there are many ways a vampire could survive, all without killing an innocent (e.g. targeting scumbags, clones possibly, etc) but the question was how to do it legally.

And as Tiger Eyes so asiduously pointed out - Vampires are not recognised as having rights by the law. I'm not sure about the criminal SIN bit canonically it has been well established that the Infected were in the same category as the SINless - no rights. Since they have no classification under the legal system and not accorded any rights as a sentient being, there is no legal way for them to feed, since legally they are not recognised.

So, in short, to answer the OP's question - the answer is no.

- J.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jun 26 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jun 26 2009, 09:59 AM) *
Revitalization therapy for one full point of essence costs $275,000. If you can afford to shell that out every month on top of a meaningful Lifestyle, you don't have to worry about Detective Hardnose knocking on your door.

Revitalisation is for repairing the Essense "hole" left by removal of an implant and is very expensive, as you have said.

Cellular Repair costs 15k per week and "even heals Essense loss inflicted with Energy Drain or Essense Drain powers."

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Jun 26 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

Smartass answer:

Just make friends with a street doc.
When someone goes to him for a cyber-implant, get him to let you essence-drain before the implantation (but after the anesthetic, obviously.)

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 26 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Do you really think that the drained point of essence is the same as the patient loses during his operation?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 26 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

SINner, Erased, Masking, Contacts in Lone Star.

Problem solved.

Yes, I have a character like that.

+Quote Post
Screaming Eagle
post Jun 26 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,109

Legal rights in the UCAS, my thoughts - even if they retain their SIN and rights (which I think they would ) it is unlikely they would be allowed to feed - even on "terminal patients" etc. If someone who needs a heart donor every 6 months shows up due to some degernataive disorder they are not getting a heart, others need it more.

I can invision a sociaty that uses such vampires for their capital punishment needs giving these unfortunates a place, but its not going to be a decendent state of the US or Canada. Cruel and unusual punishment anyone?

Yes the ultra-rich will not be affected by this (the same way the ultra rich today get such things done). But a typical working Joe who gets Vampirism is going to be allowed to say his goodbyes, be quarenteened and made as comfortable as possible for his final months. Yes you have all the rights of every other person, but you do not have the right to cause them grevious bodily harm (which I suspect Essence Drain falls under legaly) even if they consent. You are sick and going to die, you cannot take others with you within these rights.

As for the hypothetical country that "allows them rights" - the right to feed on their fellow citzens etc. - this place will at the least allow consentual essence drain, and this gets tricky cause vampires have powers that make you consent. Perhaps only allowing it in special donor clinics, subjects get paid well - its like blood donation but this they only let you do 4 times max, astral perceivers can establish remianing essence and only allow those above a certain threshold donate and ensure no one has been mesmorized or magically influenced.
Alternatively only the Awakened have rights and mundane people are somewhere between cattle and prospective members of the elite, either way.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 26 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Still I think centaur hunting is your best bet.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.