IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Algonkian-Manitou Council Capitol, Who picked this anyway.
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 29 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,494

I never fully agreed with the choice of capitol for the Algonkian-Manitou Council (Saskatoon). Mainly because there are many other locations that would be better as a capitol instead. Here is my list of candidates that should have been chosen instead:
  • Regina: Regina is the only provincial capitol in the Council lands and has a beautiful Provincial building (that would rival even the White House in grandeur). It has also been a capitol city since the late 1800's (when it was going to be selected as the capitol of the North West Territories before the creation of Saskatchewan in 1905).
  • Grand Rapids: The centre for the Treaty 5 Area (largest portion of the AM Council).
  • Prince Albert: The centre for the Treaty 6 Area (second largest portion of the AM Council and located closest to the largest First Nation populations in Western Canada).
  • Thunder Bay: The administrative centre for the Nishnawbe Aski Nation which covers most of northern Ontario and about 1/3 of the AM Council.
  • Fort Qu'Appelle: The centre for the Treaty 4 Area (smallest portion of the AM Council).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 29 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

I think you just put more thought and research into it than the authors likely did when they created it.

I seem to recall that there is a sort of civil war in the AM. I could be wrong (just getting back in after 1 year hiatus). Saskatoon could be a good middle ground compromise. Regina would NOT be a good choice since it represents the Anglo oppression they endured for so long.

Just my thoughts.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jun 29 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #3

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

It should be in Saskatoon. Because Saskatoon is more fun to say, dammit.

(I'd personally suggest Regina, too, just for the size.)

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jun 29 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

If you extrapolate the population shifts and growths we are seeing now in 2009 a lot of the population is going to be situated further up north. They're finding plenty of oil sands and uranium mines in Saskatchewan -- its not just Alberta/NE BC anymore.

Plus if Regina is on the table shouldn't Winnipeg be there too? (seems like the Red River should be there if Thunder Bay is)

Don't get me wrong I love Regina (my dad used to live there) but again it really represents the Anglo repression.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jun 29 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

Sorry, I don't have my reference material here with me. What is the city in question?

Are we sure it doesn't have religious or cultural context? The government in question was spawned from a non standard revolution.

Also, remember there are stated capitals and real capitals of industry.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 29 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Winnipeg is in the UCAS but otherwise I would have included that in the list as well. Besides the urban res in Saskatoon, there is nothing in the way of administrative buildings in the city. It is the largest city in Saskatchewan but most of the administrative buildings are in Regina (I think that is part of the rivalry between the two cities, Saskatoon thinks that they are better because they are larger and have better facilities for concerts, franchises, etc. While Regina has all the administrative buildings so they assume that they are the best by default).

Going over my list above I actually think that Prince Albert would have been the best location due to a couple of things, first its location is perfect in that it is near most of the largest reservations in Saskatchewan (IIRC it also has the highest population per capita of First Nations people as well). It is one multiple major roads that link most of the major sites in the AM Council and it is a resource rich centre (Diamonds, oil, potash, and Uranium). A close second would be Grand Rapids.

I also thought it was funny that Regina was part of the AM Council but White City and Emerald Park are part of the UCAS. I would have thought that the UCAS would have tried to claim Regina due to its administrative facilities (plus it being the capitol of Saskatchewan which apparently is still a province, and another argument for having Regina the capitol of the AM council). The only road going into and out of White City is the number 1 which runs straight to Regina on the one side and Indian Head on the other side (also in the AM Council. You would thing that when they made the boarder they would have used the number 1 as the line (north side being the AM Council, south side being UCAS).

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jun 29 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jun 29 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Sorry, I don't have my reference material here with me. What is the city in question?

Are we sure it doesn't have religious or cultural context? The government in question was spawned from a non standard revolution.

Also, remember there are stated capitals and real capitals of industry.

BlueMax

The city in question is Saskatoon
Regina has all the cathedrals in Saskatchewan (actually I think Calgary has more religious centres then both Regina and Saskatoon), Culturally Prince Albert has more important First Nation and Meti historical sites then Saskatoon.
Regina is both the stated capital and industrial capital of Saskatchewan. Saskatoon is the commercial capital of Saskatchewan and the largest city.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jun 30 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 29 2009, 12:48 PM) *
They're finding plenty of oil sands and uranium mines in Saskatchewan -- its not just Alberta/NE BC anymore.

These resources mean nothing to the NAN.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 30 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

In case anyone is curious, this is what the Regina Parliament Building looks like. (no that's not me in the picture)

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jun 30 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Malachi @ Jun 30 2009, 08:16 AM) *
In case anyone is curious, this is what the Regina Parliament Building looks like. (no that's not me in the picture)

I feel like I just got Rick Rolled.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 30 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Jun 30 2009, 09:33 AM) *
I feel like I just got Rick Rolled.

BlueMax

Oops.. link fixed.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jun 30 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #12

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

Not fixed for me.I am forbidden from it.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jun 30 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 30 2009, 09:55 AM) *
Not fixed for me.I am forbidden from it.

As am I.

BlueMax
/multi rolled?

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Jun 30 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Huh, interesting.

Ah! I found a nice high resolution picture here.

Of interest, I should also point out that the building sits on the edge of a man-made lake. A creek feeds into the lake which is spanned by a four-lane bridge with pedestrian walkways on either side (it's in the Guiness Book of Records as the largest bridge over the smallest body of water). Both the bridge and the lake were depression-era make-work projects.

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Jun 30 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Malachi @ Jun 30 2009, 10:39 AM) *
Huh, interesting.

Ah! I found a nice high resolution picture here.

Of interest, I should also point out that the building sits on the edge of a man-made lake. A creek feeds into the lake which is spanned by a four-lane bridge with pedestrian walkways on either side (it's in the Guiness Book of Records as the largest bridge over the smallest body of water). Both the bridge and the lake were depression-era make-work projects.

Some, may consider this off topic but I would mod it "Educational".
All of that work is beautiful.

For my locality, the work projects were to make wonderful camps and hiking trails. They don't look like much but they made a great deal of wilderness accessible.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 4 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Well I can say one thing for Regina in 2070, they have one kick @$$ Town Hall now.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 4 2009, 11:58 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

In a similar vein you could easily have asked why Victoria wasn't picked as the capital of the SSC. It is the administrative capital of most of the region already (BC) and contains a very impressive inner harbor full of all sorts of wonderful Victorian-style buildings (such as the Legislature, the Empress Hotel, and the Royal BC Museum). Instead we get Bellingam which is no where near as beautiful nor as prepared for being a seat of government (I think that it may be the county seat for Whatcom County but I'm likely mistaken). I think that it is safe to say that in terms of the "lesser" NANs the original authors didn't really put too much thought into it and now we're stuck with what they've made. (major being Aztlan, Tir, Sioux, Pueblo)

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 5 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #18

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 5 2009, 12:58 AM) *
Instead we get Bellingam which is no where near as beautiful nor as prepared for being a seat of government (I think that it may be the county seat for Whatcom County but I'm likely mistaken).

Easiest way to explain that away is to simply say since we don't know when Bellingham became the capital they used Victoria as an interim one whilst they expanded and remodelled Bellingham more to their liking, as for why they moved at all simply hand wave it away as they thought Vivtoria was too tied to the old Anglo system rather than a new capital that they built to be more culturally acceptable. Or it could just be that as you said the original writers didn't do much research when making the decisions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 5 2009, 02:53 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

Could also be that in the 80 years of timeline differential, the development of magic/tech and 25%+ of the population being killed off by VITAS every few years that large scale demographic changes occured. Hell, entire swaths of land could have been made completely uninhabitable by more than a few natural disastors (Look at Canon Scotland as an example, huge parts of the lowlands have been contaminated by the North Sea throwing up all over them and a few Meltdowns)

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 5 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 4 2009, 05:58 PM) *
In a similar vein you could easily have asked why Victoria wasn't picked as the capital of the SSC. It is the administrative capital of most of the region already (BC) and contains a very impressive inner harbor full of all sorts of wonderful Victorian-style buildings (such as the Legislature, the Empress Hotel, and the Royal BC Museum). Instead we get Bellingam which is no where near as beautiful nor as prepared for being a seat of government (I think that it may be the county seat for Whatcom County but I'm likely mistaken). I think that it is safe to say that in terms of the "lesser" NANs the original authors didn't really put too much thought into it and now we're stuck with what they've made. (major being Aztlan, Tir, Sioux, Pueblo)

I totally agree with you that Victoria should be the capital of the SSC and I also think Edmonton should be the Capitol of the Athabaskan Council (though I can see Anchorage as well). I think the problem was the when FASA and then WizKids created the NAN they didn't do their research into where the best locations would be and as a result American cities or the largest city was choosen over the more logical city.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 5 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #21

Running Target

FYI
Regina's Parliament Building
There are no major administration buildings in Saskatoon, but here is their town hall.
Prince Albert's Treaty Administration Building

Victoria's Parliament Building
Bellingham Federal Building

Edmonton's Parliament Building
Anchorage's Federal Building

To me it seems like a no brainier, I know where I would like my capitol

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 5 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

I totally agree with you that Victoria should be the capital of the SSC and I also think Edmonton should be the Capitol of the Athabaskan Council (though I can see Anchorage as well). I think the problem was the when FASA and then WizKids ...

All of the capital cities were decided _well_ before FASA closed and WizKids bought SR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 5 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

My guess is a lot of the places you named,whilemaking more sense, were too white. I mean you just won you're independance and you're capital is "Regina" named after the soverign of the old conqeror?

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 5 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

When did NAN vol 1 and 2 come out? Something like 89 (release year) or 90?

Pretty funny since it all seems like the old European way of dividing up the world. In this case, some dude in Chicago had to divide North America up into pieces and just arbitrarily drew lines and picked some random city in the middle of each "patch." Sort of like how the Middle East was created.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 6 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (Cheops @ Jul 5 2009, 09:29 AM) *
When did NAN vol 1 and 2 come out? Something like 89 (release year) or 90?

Pretty funny since it all seems like the old European way of dividing up the world. In this case, some dude in Chicago had to divide North America up into pieces and just arbitrarily drew lines and picked some random city in the middle of each "patch." Sort of like how the Middle East was created.

And Africa. I suppose it is too late now to do Retcon.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.