IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laser Weaponry: Worth it?, Cool, but worth the Nuyen?
Falconer
post Jul 9 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #66

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 8 2009, 11:32 AM) *
@Falconer
Yes mother! I know what thermal blooming is. I just don't think the laser would leave that distinctive of a trail through the air to be visible more then a few nano-seconds after it was fired.

No you don't and didn't until I pointed it out, as evidenced by the manner you chose to criticize.

Here's my problem w/ your position... If there is enough energy in the beam to vaporize steel and damage the target, then there is easily enough energy to ionize water/smoke particulates into plasma or at the very least incandesce them. (I'm talking in terms of joules which would measure the integral of power over time watts... I don't care how short the pulse duration is... there is hard physics, you need X amount of energy to take a few grams of matter and change it from solid to gas vapor and that's well known basic physics).

Lets put this another way... you claim that the flash on the target would be visible so there's enough energy to incandesce the material in the target... so lets say you cut out a 5cm hole 20cm deep in a person. 1000cm3 == 1liter of water (body is mostly water). So that's .5 liter (5*5*20). .5l of water weights .5kg. Just to speed things up... you're talking about something over 1 megajoule of energy to vaporize that much water (flash boil blow a hole through an unarmored target 20cm deep and 5cm across). For those w/o a science background... I'm talking about the amount of energy it takes to vaporize 1 pound of water/meat. (which seems reasonable for a weapon grade laser in SR).

Do I agree, normal clear blue sky, nothing but basic nitrogen/oxygen... invisible... yeah probably if we're talking IR laser like CO2. However, every laser I've ever heard about powerful enough to be a weapon has a problem w/ thermal lensing once you start trying to get any range. Shorter wavelengths going to UV or Xray have a bigger problem in that they interact more w/ gas particles and scatter more (why is the sky blue...).

Now a pulse like that you claim, won't interact w/ fog (which is liquid particulate water molecules suspended in air) and produce a noticable effect. Or if someone had the presence of mind to throw a smoke grenade to try and locate where the shots are coming from (and give cover/reduce incoming damage). At the very least, it would 'burn' a hole through the fog which would be visible. If it doesn't incandesce the material by heating it to red hot let alone white hot. (since thermal vision sees longer wavelengths... this would be more visible to them than people w/ just normal vision... thermal > low-light > normal in this case).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 9 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #67

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,951

On the other hand, if you build a metal vapor laser based on orichalcum and the knowledge of lucifer lamps...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 9 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #68

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

What have you brewed up in your twisted mind this time?
Laser-Weapon-Focus?

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jul 9 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #69

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

Astral laser.

EDIT: Dual Natured Laser, even.

EDIT2: The beams, that is. Dual Natured light formed into a Laser beam.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 9 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #70

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 9 2009, 09:45 AM) *
Astral laser.

EDIT: Dual Natured Laser, even.

EDIT2: The beams, that is. Dual Natured light formed into a Laser beam.

Ow! my head is hurting on how bad an idea that is.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 9 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #71

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 9 2009, 05:45 PM) *
Ow! my head is hurting on how bad an idea that is.

Incredibly bad idea...

Or an incredibly AWESOME one?

Let's find out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

...Actually, I can see a rampaging great spirit getting taken out by a massive secret government astral laser. It'd be very cinematic.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jul 9 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #72

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Yeah, but spirits vulnerable to mundane-carried-weapons would kill a lot of fluff-feeling from SR, don´t you think?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jul 9 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #73

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Meanwhile, I'm going to create a suspension of dual-natured biomass in liquid - big tanks of the stuff. Voila! Astral water-cannon for spirit crowd control.

And for my next trick, I get a number of magicians to craft foci in the form of various components - wheels, a body, a harness. I bond the lot of them, Astrally project and assemble into ASTRAL CHARIOT! You just need a couple of spirits to pull it and you're good to go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 9 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #74

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jul 9 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Yeah, but spirits vulnerable to mundane-carried-weapons would kill a lot of fluff-feeling from SR, don´t you think?

Only if building-sized clones disguised as mecha count as "mundane".

If by mundane, you mean biomodified supersoldiers in heavy military armor, though - then the Thunderstruck is still the way to go.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 9 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #75

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 9 2009, 07:08 PM) *
Meanwhile, I'm going to create a suspension of dual-natured biomass in liquid - big tanks of the stuff. Voila! Astral water-cannon for spirit crowd control.

You just need those Ghostbusters slime blowers.

QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 9 2009, 07:08 PM) *
And for my next trick, I get a number of magicians to craft foci in the form of various components - wheels, a body, a harness. I bond the lot of them, Astrally project and assemble into ASTRAL CHARIOT! You just need a couple of spirits to pull it and you're good to go! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I want a dual natured muscle car. Preferably something classic.

+Quote Post
Zaranthan
post Jul 9 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #76

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,949

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jul 9 2009, 12:47 PM) *

Shooting a spirit with an assault cannon kills it pretty well. Heck, a revolver and a steady hand can do pretty well in a pinch. I'd say your "fluff" is already dead in that case.

+Quote Post
paws2sky
post Jul 9 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #77

Running Target

Member No.: 14,229

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 9 2009, 02:38 PM) *
I want a dual natured muscle car. Preferably something classic.

How about a Possession tradition magician? Conjure a spirit and have it possess you car...

QUOTE (Zaranthan @ Jul 9 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Shooting a spirit with an assault cannon kills it pretty well. Heck, a revolver and a steady hand can do pretty well in a pinch. I'd say your "fluff" is already dead in that case.

Yepper. Ruger Super Warhawk + APDS rounds (6P/-6AP) will wreck most spirits if you're a good shooter.

-paws

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jul 9 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #78

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jul 9 2009, 10:45 PM) *
How about a Possession tradition magician? Conjure a spirit and have it possess you car...

Yepper. Ruger Super Warhawk + APDS rounds (6P/-6AP) will wreck most spirits if you're a good shooter.

-paws

Been there,done That.. Ares Alpha,EX-Explosive rounds,3-round burst and distance 5 ft, 17 dies and 16 success.. POOF!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.