Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mecha?, Does it exist in 2070?
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,317

Okay, before you start berrating me for this thread, let me say that it's only because my friend in the game I'm in is interested in this. He is an avid Anime fan (I can't stand that stuff) and really likes Gundam and Robotech. So I figured I'd ask for him: "What are your thoughts on Mecha's of some sort existing in the Sixth World and how would the work?"

Personally, I can't see them getting very large, as that would kind of be overpowering. Maybe 12 feet or so and work more like the mech suit in Aliens that Ripley was piloting (the yellow one at the end) as opposed to giant anime style robots. Also, the statistics for them would probably be ob par with some more powerful spirits or even lesser dragons, the physical stats at least.

I'm sure the Megacorps are working on something like this already, but I myself doubt that it would be public knowledge anytime soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aberrant
post Jul 7 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 2,824

Hey, Cyberpunk 2020 had 'em!

That said, I can see it to a point. I mean, especially in Japan.
If you look at Arsenals, you can already make, what is basically, powered armor suits. Not giant robots, but the next best thing.

Heavy Milspec armor with sealed systems, strength and agility enhancements. Stick on a weapon mount...

EDIT: Also, in the form of Dragons, Mecha actually have something to fight in 2070. I can see some corps going 'oh shit' after Ghostwalker trampsed through Denver in '63.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aberrant @ Jul 7 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Hey, Cyberpunk 2020 had 'em!

That said, I can see it to a point. I mean, especially in Japan.
If you look at Arsenals, you can already make, what is basically, powered armor suits. Not giant robots, but the next best thing.

Heavy Milspec armor with sealed systems, strength and agility enhancements. Stick on a weapon mount...

EDIT: Also, in the form of Dragons, Mecha actually have something to fight in 2070. I can see some corps going 'oh shit' after Ghostwalker trampsed through Denver in '63.

Yea..that's what I was thinking, probably more on par with Powered armor than honest mechs. I could also see some of the larger ones beeing more like the mechs in Mech Warrior, being 10 -15 Meters tall and not looking very humanoid, with the reverse jointed "Chicken" legs and weapon mounts more akin to a tank than an arm holding a gun.

+Quote Post
Aberrant
post Jul 7 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #4

Target

Damnit, now I just know I am going to design a set of T-51b powered armor before the day is through.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Make it the "Winterized" version and you get bonus points!

Note: I feel like such a nerd, thank you Fallout!

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Jul 7 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Take the Shin-Hyung, put on Walker Mode and 2 Full Mechanical Arms, and have fun with the other 10 mod slots. It's about a 15 foot tall mecha that's as strong and tough as a troll.

+Quote Post
Aberrant
post Jul 7 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #7

Target

Quick write-up, may be over on ratings of mods.

T-51b Powered Armor

16/14 (18/16 w/ Helmet)
Mobility Upgrade 3 (Capacity 6)
Strength Upgrade 2 (Capacity 2)
Chemical Seal (Capacity 4)
Radiation Protection 6 (Capacity 4)
Nonconductivity 3 Capacity 2

Helmet has a geiger counter

For winterized, add Insulation and drop the nonconductivity some

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jul 7 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I expect Japan to have at least a few big mechas... just because they can.

To my players: please keep out
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jul 7 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

I want my JIM- Exoskeleton. That was a perfect example for a tiny mech. Strong as nothing, sealed, rigg-able, armored. And it was even small enough to be no "Attack HERE" advertisement board.

Ah, yeah we had a rigger in that thing going against a troll-adept. Awesome fight.

Well, all in all. i would allow small mechs in the game. Maybe a class over the heavy milspec armor or that (Tomino???) walker combat drone. It just has to have own body attributes, an internal node, must be riggable and a rigger-coccoon. It should even be pretty cheap.. maybe around 100k or less?

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jul 7 2009, 04:26 PM) *
I want my JIM- Exoskeleton. That was a perfect example for a tiny mech. Strong as nothing, sealed, rigg-able, armored. And it was even small enough to be no "Attack HERE" advertisement board.

JIM-Exoskeleton? As in Earthworm Jim? Or am I just crazy...?

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jul 7 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

You are crazy *g*. Nah... 3rd edition, i think arsenal. JIM-Exoskeleton is under scuba gear??? (do not have the book) It's a hermetically sealed underwater robot and has space for a pilot. (well it is more of a big suit like those which are already in use since the 1970ies)

But there were no rules against using it on land and modify it according to the rules with extra-strength and armor. Hilarity ensues.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 7 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,494

Mechas as a military weapon are a silly idea (and this comes from an avid Battletech player). They are too big of targets on the modern battlefield and you would be better off making a multiped walking tank instead (kinda like the UN spider tank in Patlabor II).

In industry though I see a wide use of different biped and multiped exosceletons that would be used in everything from forestry (especially in the back country) to building construction (it would be nice to be able to have the cement truck be able to climb the building instead of pumping all the material up several stories).

On the military side, power armour would be the more likely development. This would allow individual soldiers to maintain a small radar and target signature and increase their lethality against enemy troops. I actually think drones are the true future of military forces as it costs over $40,000 and 2 years of training to "make" a soldier but $10,000 - $30,000 and a couple of weeks to make a decent drone. Plus no one cries over a dead drone (except the tech in charge of fixing it).

+Quote Post
Aberrant
post Jul 7 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #13

Target

Of note, I don't believe there are rules for any main combat vehicles in Shadowrun. At least not for 4th Edition. They have naval vessels, subs, Jet Fighterbombers, but no Main Battle Tanks.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 7 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Aberrant @ Jul 7 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Of note, I don't believe there are rules for any main combat vehicles in Shadowrun. At least not for 4th Edition. They have naval vessels, subs, Jet Fighterbombers, but no Main Battle Tanks.

How often would SRs face a main battle tank? If you are, I think you have done something very wrong.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 7 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #15

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 7 2009, 05:40 PM) *
Mechas as a military weapon are a silly idea (and this comes from an avid Battletech player). They are too big of targets on the modern battlefield and you would be better off making a multiped walking tank instead (kinda like the UN spider tank in Patlabor II).

Fuchicoma! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 7 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 7 2009, 06:19 PM) *
How often would SRs face a main battle tank? If you are, I think you have done something very wrong.

Heh, rigger3 held stats for a nimitz class carrier, or there about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Aberrant
post Jul 7 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 7 2009, 04:19 PM) *

Or playing a slightly different than standard game. Say, a high end mercenary group operating in the 3rd world.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 7 2009, 04:19 PM) *

I blew up a few battle tanks once....or rather...our TM did by hacking in and setting the self-destruct, I just conjured an Earth Elemental to throw said tanks at the enemies....hehehe....we are the epitome of anti-stealth....

+Quote Post
Generico
post Jul 7 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 17,337

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 7 2009, 09:41 AM) *

Steel Lynx + Rigger Cocoon + 2 Grapples

+Quote Post
Mirilion
post Jul 7 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,271

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 7 2009, 05:41 PM) *

I just watched the ending of SAC 2nd GIG not two hours ago....
Cried like a little girl with a skinned knee at the Tachikoma scene.

*wipes tears* I swear I keep getting dust in my eyes

+Quote Post
Heath Robinson
post Jul 7 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 15,736

QUOTE (Mirilion @ Jul 7 2009, 07:07 PM) *
I just watched the ending of SAC 2nd GIG not two hours ago....
Cried like a little girl with a skinned knee at the Tachikoma scene.

*wipes tears* I swear I keep getting dust in my eyes

Don't worry, they'll be back. In the SAC movie.

+Quote Post
CodeBreaker
post Jul 7 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,249

QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 7 2009, 07:17 PM) *
Don't worry, they'll be back. In the SAC movie.

And in funky new upgraded bodies too.

I must say if I ever do make my Rigger character I have been planning one of his objectives is to make a Tachikoma to ride about in. Throw in some Ruthium Poly-whatsit and you can even have it go invisible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Jul 7 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

You could do a decent 'mech by using a patrol car with a walker mod, then adding on armor, weapons, all the goodies. You could aso do it with a sports car if speed was more important than toughness.

+Quote Post
TBRMInsanity
post Jul 7 2009, 07:20 PM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jul 7 2009, 10:56 AM) *
I blew up a few battle tanks once....or rather...our TM did by hacking in and setting the self-destruct, I just conjured an Earth Elemental to throw said tanks at the enemies....hehehe....we are the epitome of anti-stealth....

I don't know of a single APC or tank that I've been in yet that has a self-destruct sequence. The whole idea of a self-destruct is a very silly idea. One of the biggest things I hate the most about Star Trek.

QUOTE (Aberrant @ Jul 7 2009, 10:55 AM) *
Or playing a slightly different than standard game. Say, a high end mercenary group operating in the 3rd world.

I would use the rules in Rigger 3 to create a tank then. Use the conversion rules to bring them up to SR4 rules if needed. IIRC you can easily create a tank with Rigger 3.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mage
post Jul 7 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Jul 7 2009, 07:20 PM) *
I don't know of a single APC or tank that I've been in yet that has a self-destruct sequence. The whole idea of a self-destruct is a very silly idea. One of the biggest things I hate the most about Star Trek.

Yea...I know...but that's ok. These ones apparently DID have self-destructs in them. Basically turning them into giant grenades for an elemental is one of my favorite thing to do with vehicles....

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.