IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the best way to die?, Ok, maybe that sounded wrong, read on!
Regiment
post Aug 14 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,304

Since rules tend to leave glaring gaps, holes, and ways to exploit for better or worse, I had a question.

What's some of the best ways a player could get his character killed?

Ok, maybe that's still a bit vague, here's my reasoning. I've played with new groups a few times, and lots of the GM's I've played with didn't want the characters to die, so threw things that were challenging, but not necessarily a sure-thing of death. And at the same time, playing with a new group and new GM can lead to making a character that doesn't fit as well as it did when it was being conceptualized.

Take for instance my current group.

I originally wanted to play a mage. When I proposed this, I was told that there was already a guy working on building a shaman. (Now, granted, the GM didn't actually say No to me making a magician.) Being new to the group, not knowing the GM or players, I quietly nodded and made a non-magical character with a latent-awakening quality hoping for the option to open up in the future. After characters were all presented and we sat down to play, I found out that no one had adhered to any form on "who's filling what role" and we ended up with some very strange character designs, and limitations on who-played-what were not enacted or enforced. So I guess the whole 'No' was something I perceived.

As we've played, I've realized that the shaman is extremely new to the game and has very little knowledge and as a result about 70% of what a magician can do, isn't done. I'm sure they'll get better as rules are learned, and the 4th ed Cancer-causing-game is beat senselessly out of their mentalities, but as a result, I'm still not playing the character I wanted.

I've tried to politely suggest options that would include remaking my character in the designs I wanted (first time being the night of the first game), but I was told no, don't worry about it, everyone will get their roles worked out and everything will get better as we play. Now this leads me to believe that the GM's view is that I am currently playing the character I want to play, but I'm trying to sacrifice to fill holes left vacant by other roles, since the table doesn't yet have an uber-well rounded team, and he's telling me I don't have to sacrifice what I want to cater to what's needed.

He's got it backwards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Again, I'm still new to the group and the GM and don't want to come across as someone who's trying to retcon after finding out what is tactically better for his table, or to munchkinize my character into something more uber. So I haven't been flat-out about it all yet.

While the game is only a few weeks into it, I was kinda thinking... If I died, I'd lose the karma gained, but I'd be able to play what I want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

So how can I die easily, without it looking obvious, and not rock the boat for fear of not knowing how rough the waters are?

Are there any glaring munchkin ways to get killed by the GM and have it look purely natural? Or any creative ways to do the same?

If nothing else, it should make for a very interesting read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Aug 14 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

If you play an elven-char, visit the Big Rhino, order some Hurlg and tell the biggest troll that he is a pussy. Job done.^^

Ok, now for real. The last time i lost a char was, as somebody shoot at me with only 1 or 2 successes and i refused to dodge (thought the reaction-dodge would do the job). If you manage to spend your edge before, it could be over already.

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Aug 14 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

"accidently" you are suddenly Spike's turfs..
enemy's mage manabolt
ghoul hunting-pack (5-30)
buy 2 kg's of explosives (and critical glitch..) (Big BOOM!!! is only way to go..)

+Quote Post
siel
post Aug 14 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,970

QUOTE (Regiment @ Aug 14 2009, 01:31 AM) *
He's got it backwards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Again, I'm still new to the group and the GM and don't want to come across as someone who's trying to retcon after finding out what is tactically better for his table, or to munchkinize my character into something more uber. So I haven't been flat-out about it all yet.

While the game is only a few weeks into it, I was kinda thinking... If I died, I'd lose the karma gained, but I'd be able to play what I want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

So how can I die easily, without it looking obvious, and not rock the boat for fear of not knowing how rough the waters are?

Are there any glaring munchkin ways to get killed by the GM and have it look purely natural? Or any creative ways to do the same?

If nothing else, it should make for a very interesting read.

I think it's still best to talk to your gm about it and get it straightened out. Even if you had your character killed, the gm might expect you to make another mundane characters.

See if there's a role in the group that the other awakened character is not fulfilling. You could both be a mage without stepping on each other's toes. Cha-based tradition can be a face, Log-based tradition can also substitute as a hacker, a medic, or other roles. Or you could focus on spells that the other player is not focusing on.

Heck, see if there's a role the team is not fulfilling. If your team is really not fulfilling the roles, it might be in everyone's interest for you to play a mage that also fulfill the missing role, even if its a category the mage wouldn't normally touch. Even if it will result in a non-optimal build.

+Quote Post
Kliko
post Aug 14 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,403

Retire the character. Dying is just one way to exit for a character.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 14 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Overdose on Drugs. Going out in a rush on a party with Hookers and Blackjack.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 14 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

old age

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 14 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

I wanna see the elf or Dwarf that accomplishes that one!

+Quote Post
Phylos Fett
post Aug 14 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #9

Not a Moderator

Member No.: 904

Being the centre of a Chunky Salsa!

Or starting some trouble with the Star!

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 14 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 14 2009, 06:19 AM) *
I wanna see the elf or Dwarf that accomplishes that one!

yup, that's the idea., though I don't think we have immortal dwarves, just elves.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 14 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

Well, there IS Hwaldos . .

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 14 2009, 05:08 AM) *
Overdose on Drugs. Going out in a rush on a party with Hookers and Blackjack.

K-10.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 14 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Or play the heavyly cybered up combat monster and use the Regeneration drug while in combat.
MESSY way to go out.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 14 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Giant space laser, while attempting to burrow out of an underground research facility I helped infest with Deus.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Aug 14 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Go solo after one of the blood mage/toxic shaman 1 million nuyen bounties. They'll kill you real quick.

EDIT: And if they don't, you'll make a million nuyen. Win - Win.

+Quote Post
Regiment
post Aug 14 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 14 2009, 08:11 AM) *
Giant space laser, while attempting to burrow out of an underground research facility I helped infest with Deus.

Don't forget the frickin' sharks... frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads!

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 14 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #17

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

What is your character's backstory?

+Quote Post
Regiment
post Aug 14 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #18

Target

Not much to the story, really... atleast not for this purpose, though here it is, you may be able to glean more than I could in ideas.

Basic info. Ork. Not-Currently-A-Magic-User

From Texas, wanted to be a Texas Ranger (yay trid) and got laughed at, cuz he was SINless and Clueless and tried to join up. They said no and told him it was cuz he was an Ork and needed degrees first, training, experience, etc after. and then wouldn't live long enough to warrant the training costs because of ork's not living a real long time.
Went roaming looking for an answer to the age problem so he could fix it thinking there had to be an answer with all the magic and tech out there. Ended up bar-backing and cleaning in a runner bar in Denver until he grew up. Then he said screw it and did what he'd seen everyone else do for a few years. Went to Seattle to make a name for himself.
Still wants to fix the age thing, but no longer has a desire to be a supercop.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 14 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #19

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Instead of going the passive-aggressive route and getting your character killed as an excuse to make a new one, just flat out tell the GM you're not happy, make a new guy (or adjust as needed), and play the game with a character you like.

+Quote Post
The Monk
post Aug 14 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,593

Poisoned by a group of back to nature Amarinds then given to a Wendingo to be eaten.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Aug 14 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

Take a rash of drugs, go manic depressive. Eat gun.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 14 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Naked, on a pile of Corporate Stock Certificates (Seeing as it's hard to find good paper money any more), with many beautiful Metahumans who are equally clothed.

I think you can guess the action that finally causes the death, but what a way to go!

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Aug 14 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Of a heart attack, at a bunraku parlor, with your "favorite simstar" on top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 14 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #24

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Slip your GM a note that you want to double cross the Johnson without the knowledge of the rest of the team. When Johnson sends a hit squad after the team and they are like "WTF!?" you can tell them it was you. If the hit squad doesn't kill you, your team will.

+Quote Post
Totentanz
post Aug 15 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 17,457

I second all the people that said just talk about it OC. Most of the antics you could pull to have your character die will alienate the players and GM far more than simply telling them you aren't having fun. If they have an issue with you changing characters to enhance your enjoyment of the game, leave the group.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.