> Restricted Gear, What makes sense?
McAllister
post Aug 24 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,282

Two questions.

Would you allow Restricted Gear to allow a character access to deltaware implants, which, despite having no higher availability than normalware, are off-limits? I reckon it's about as hard to get a deltaware cyberarm and have it installed as it would be to get heavy milspec armor and have it fitted, the latter of which is RAW legal.

Would you allow Restricted Gear on a cyberlimb to extend to the limb's additions? For example, if a troll wants a STR 10 BOD 10 AGI 5 customized cyberlimb, he needs to take Restricted Gear. Would he also need a different instance of Restricted Gear to put a heavy pistol in it, at your table?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Aug 24 2009, 04:39 AM
Post #2

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 24 2009, 12:32 AM) *
Would you allow Restricted Gear to allow a character access to deltaware implants, which, despite having no higher availability than normalware, are off-limits? I reckon it's about as hard to get a deltaware cyberarm and have it installed as it would be to get heavy milspec armor and have it fitted, the latter of which is RAW legal.

No.
Would you allow Restricted Gear on a cyberlimb to extend to the limb's additions? For example, if a troll wants a STR 10 BOD 10 AGI 5 customized cyberlimb, he needs to take Restricted Gear. Would he also need a different instance of Restricted Gear to put a heavy pistol in it, at your table?

Yes and yes.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Aug 24 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 23 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Two questions.

Does he have a written and fleshed out background that includes a well defined reason for having the gear AND that provides the GM some ways to work with/manipulate the character? I'll allow just about anything if it's not going to be clearly game-breaking and the character concept is well worked out with a written backstory. If the player won't go to that much work, then NO.

I'd say no, but that because I'm not in favor of either cyberlimbs or trolls. Much less trolls with super cyberlimbs.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 24 2009, 05:32 AM) *
Two questions.

Delta ware in itself doesn't have a higher Availability, but you need an appropriate clinic to install the 'ware.
According to Augmentation, delta clinics in themselves have an Availability of 24, which is off-limits even for Restricted Gear.
So no, i most likely wouldn't allow it in my game.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Aug 24 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

What Rasumichin said.

On a related note, I use the wares availability house rule from DK's excel charsheet available on these boards. Alpha +2, Beta +4, Delta +10. It just makes more sense than disallowing Beta cybereyes just because they're beta.

+Quote Post
tsuyoshikentsu
post Aug 24 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,997

QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 23 2009, 09:32 PM) *
Would you allow Restricted Gear to allow a character access to deltaware implants, which, despite having no higher availability than normalware, are off-limits?

No. I concur with Ras.

Yes, unless it's part of a suite.
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 23 2009, 10:13 PM) *
Does he have a written and fleshed out background that includes a well defined reason for having the gear AND that provides the GM some ways to work with/manipulate the character? I'll allow just about anything if it's not going to be clearly game-breaking and the character concept is well worked out with a written backstory. If the player won't go to that much work, then NO.

That's moronic: crunch rewards for fluff work (when work doesn't even correlate to good RPing) is a really good way to unbalance a game.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Aug 24 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

I'm not interested in a "balanced" game, I'm interested in a fun game. Everyone having equally boring characters that all can't routinely succeed at anything is balanced, but not fun. An since the few million to make use of the really cool deltaware, like synaptic booster 3, isn't included, I really don't care that someone has something that costs less of a metagame balance mechanic.

+Quote Post
Kerrang
post Aug 24 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,088

I am assuming we are talking about taking the gear at chargen. I am with KZT on this one, I would allow it if the character has a good background which provides a reason for them having the gear. As KZT implied, this background would also have to be good enough so that there are some repurcussions in store for the character.

On a side note, there is no need to resort to name calling, and for me, having a good background is part of what makes for good RPing.

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Aug 24 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

I have a complicated system at my table for rewarding players for fluff work. All rewards are crunchy bits like karma and cash. The reasoning is that some folks will be more interested and excited in the character, and thus should be rewarded. We know why they are here, they want karma like everyone else. Other players might want to go the extra mile and write up some fiction or some such to get those last few points they need to get whatever they feel rounds out the character. That's fine too.
Not everyone is balanced, but during play things get out of balance anyway. Some players get extra karma awarded for actions during game. Some players work a side job and make more money. There's nothing wrong with crunch rewards for a player enriching the game.

The way I run this quality it basically means you have something you aren't supposed to normally have, and if you can afford it there are no questions. Parts of a whole, like commlink parts, are included in the one instance of Restricted Gear. As long as the parts of the whole cannot be pulled out and be a functioning unit on their own (like a drone) I consider them included.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 24 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Personally I view deltaware as being the holy grail of cyber that people whisper about but no-one actually ever sees without selling their soul to one of the corps. So no, I wouldn't allow it even if Rasumichin didn't already win the thread by pointing out that the Delta Clinics necessary to install the cyber are beyond the reach of the edge you want to use.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Aug 24 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

If you never use it, never see it and never play with it what fun is it? I'm not saying hand out Delta grade stuff all nilly willy, or the like, but man if no one ever sees it, why have it?

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 24 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #12

Cybernetic Blood Mage

For the same reason that any "Holy Grail" exists, as an virtually unreachable dream. And of course, Corp Hounds might have some if their masters think the cost is worth it.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 24 2009, 11:18 PM) *
Personally I view deltaware as being the holy grail of cyber that people whisper about but no-one actually ever sees without selling their soul to one of the corps. So no, I wouldn't allow it even if Rasumichin didn't already win the thread by pointing out that the Delta Clinics necessary to install the cyber are beyond the reach of the edge you want to use.

In fact, i have made it clear that delta grade clinics aren't that rare as i won the thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
These aren't the 50s anymore.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 24 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #14

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Remember this is Dumpshock, where I can declare that you've won the thread while at the very same time disagree with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

Seriously though, the fluff involving the Delta Clinics makes them sound pretty damn rare, more so than the rules suggest they are, and I've always argued that fluff should generally win over the rules when the two disagree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 24 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Availability 24 is pretty damn rare, but delta clinics are a lot more common than they used to be, because technology happens to advance and spread out.
Still rare, but not "only whispered of".
That would be a clinic that also offers cybermancy or cyborg adaptation.

There was a time when alpha and beta ware where cutting edge, now they're available to everyone who shells out the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) .
Delta grade implants haven't trickled down that far, but i see no reason to make them unavailable to players once the game advances.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 25 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Paul @ Aug 24 2009, 04:45 PM) *
If you never use it, never see it and never play with it what fun is it? I'm not saying hand out Delta grade stuff all nilly willy, or the like, but man if no one ever sees it, why have it?

To have something for the characters to shoot for...
It might take time and effort, but eventually you may/will develop the contacts and resources to have that Delta Grade Cyberware installed...

As an example... with 205 Karma... amd a little over a year of active play weekly, I have managed to find that Beta Grade Clinic and find rumors of a Delta Grade Clinic that I may be able to use... with that information, I have unpgraded about 1/2 of my cyber systems to Beta Grade (with the rest on the way) as I continue to develop to contacts to confirm the existence and willingness of the Delta Grade Clinic to perform the work on me... yes it is expensive, but it is the journey, not the destination that really matters... teh progression that has taken place will actually validate that Delta Grade 'ware that I have been searching for all that time, as the mechanical progression will be very obvious having gone through all the levels required to obtain it (Alpha to Beta to Delta)...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Aug 25 2009, 03:08 AM
Post #17

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Well Rasumichin, if I were feeling contary I'd argue that the idea behind the SOTA rules pretty much voids your argument, the tech that was called Deltaware in the 2050s is now off-the-rack stuff and an 2050s Wired Reflexs III is now lucky to be considered Second Hand Wired I, ect, ect...

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Aug 25 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

I would limit the restricted gear to only one item for a cyberlimb or weapon. Don't really need a Plasteel Panther Assault Cannon w/ under barrel flamethrower or a stacked weapon/power focus at character creation.

As for having betaware or above I again would go with the initial character creation rules. Part of the reason is it discourages ridiculously optimized cyberware. The other reason is it encourages players to work toward something. Want to see players leave your table then put them against low level threats and have them maxed out in skills, etc.

As for giving extra points for players who put work into their characters I find is a good method. Then players start having 3 dimensional characters rather than a brooding loner. It gives me platforms for future stories and encourages characters having friends and family as they get more rewards (karma or BP). It also makes the game more fun as the game becomes more about them rather than a serial of the week.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Aug 25 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

QUOTE (Omenowl @ Aug 24 2009, 10:57 PM) *
I would limit the restricted gear to only one item for a cyberlimb or weapon. Don't really need a Plasteel Panther Assault Cannon w/ under barrel flamethrower or a stacked weapon/power focus at character creation.

As for having betaware or above I again would go with the initial character creation rules. Part of the reason is it discourages ridiculously optimized cyberware. The other reason is it encourages players to work toward something. Want to see players leave your table then put them against low level threats and have them maxed out in skills, etc.

As for giving extra points for players who put work into their characters I find is a good method. Then players start having 3 dimensional characters rather than a brooding loner. It gives me platforms for future stories and encourages characters having friends and family as they get more rewards (karma or BP). It also makes the game more fun as the game becomes more about them rather than a serial of the week.

If the mechanical challenges are the sum total of what keeps your characters coming back to your table then your doing something wrong. If anything i"ve found that players do occasionally like a milk run, opposition that just isn't prepared for the, of course they do occasionally appreciate being majorly outgunned and outclassed as long as it feels at least a little bit organic.

One of the better games i've ever run I let folks have delta cyberware to start (gave the magic users two extra points of magic to compensate). It was a lot of fun but made for a very high end game. The biggest problem I've actually found with Cyberware is the characters never seem to have the money for it unless the payment for runs gets quickly into the rediculous range.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Aug 26 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 24 2009, 12:13 AM) *

I'd say no, but that because I'm not in favor of either cyberlimbs or trolls. Much less trolls with super cyberlimbs.

I agree with part one.

Part 2 makes me wonder why the frag you are playing shadowrun.

I am not in favor of Shadowrun or shadowrun much less shadowrun with shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Aug 26 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

I found by being a player and GMing that players like to be the center of the story. They are not some side characters in a bigger plot (even if they are minor in the world the story still revolves around them). As a GM the more a player fleshes out their character the more connection they feel and the more material it gives me to tailor the story to them. So I reward them with extra BP at the beginning for fleshing out their characters, which in my view is not any different than giving them extra karma after an adventure for roleplaying. If a player spends 4-5 hours writing a solid story then I think they should be rewarded. It also does not hurt a player for fleshing out their character by buying skills to make their character more 3 dimensional as they can get some of those points by writing a good story. The same can not be said of characters with a hard cap of 400bp during creation.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Aug 26 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 24 2009, 02:11 PM) *
I'm not interested in a "balanced" game, I'm interested in a fun game. Everyone having equally boring characters that all can't routinely succeed at anything is balanced, but not fun. An since the few million to make use of the really cool deltaware, like synaptic booster 3, isn't included, I really don't care that someone has something that costs less of a metagame balance mechanic.

I am now creating a character entirely based around the fact that the character has the Restricted Gear quality and Synaptic Booster 3.....

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Aug 26 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 25 2009, 03:08 AM) *
Well Rasumichin, if I were feeling contary I'd argue that the idea behind the SOTA rules pretty much voids your argument, the tech that was called Deltaware in the 2050s is now off-the-rack stuff and an 2050s Wired Reflexs III is now lucky to be considered Second Hand Wired I, ect, ect...

Yeah, one could argue this way, but given that Essence costs haven't changed that much, it would be relatively pointless, right?
In general, i like the notion of how tech has developed over 20 years of ingame time as well as the more transhumanist angle of SR4.
And when it comes to deciding wether crunch or fluff is "right", i don't have a general preference, i'll base my decision on what fits my game better.

In the case of ware grades, this means freely available alpah- and betaware (the latter being in line with the fluff, but not some of the crunch) and deltaware that's rare and tailored for the elite, but still available to people who know where they have to look and what favors to call in (which is both in line with fluff and crunch).
Plus, it fits my "just roll with it", permissive approach to GMing.
If my players want something, they can get it, as long as they put an appropriate amount of work into it and live with the consequences.
Why should i make my job harder by giving up on plot hooks the players throw at me?

If you want to handle things differently, i don't really care.
Who am i to say how to run your game?

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 26 2009, 11:31 AM) *
I am now creating a character entirely based around the fact that the character has the Restricted Gear quality and Synaptic Booster 3.....

First meeting :
"And what can you do?"
"I'm FAST!"

No, seriously, that could actually work out nicely in the long run.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Aug 26 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #24

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 26 2009, 06:53 AM) *
First meeting :
"And what can you do?"
"I'm FAST!"

Yeah, until his girlfriend gets tired of sex with a big gerbil.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Aug 26 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Aug 26 2009, 07:53 AM) *
First meeting :
"And what can you do?"
"I'm FAST!"

Fast, and it's freaking hard to tell he's fast. It's easily one of the most expensive pieces of gear that a runner could want, unless you're talking Beta/Delta grade on some of the other stuff. The problem is that you now only have 10,000 nuyen left to work with, without taking any of the qualities that give you more money.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 10:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.