IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burst Fire Pistols, and the runners who love them...
fourstring_samur...
post Jan 26 2004, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,912

I don't have the CC handy, but do all bursts from a burst fire pistol require a complex action? i don't remember this from the custom gun design options in the cc, but the BF pistols from the main book and others require a complex action.

am i missing something?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jan 26 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Only the Savalette Guardian's BF takes a complex action, the others are simple actions as per the standard combat rules.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 26 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

The design options don't mention anything of the sort. It seems at least the Fichetti Executive Action and the FN 5-7C fire bursts as Simple Actions, but all others as Compelx Actions.

It's 2 - 2: Beretta 200ST and Savalette Guardian take a Complex, FEA and 5-7C take a Simple.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jan 26 2004, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jan 26 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

If you are talking about _designing_ guns for your game, I'd suggest the following rule of thumb:

1) Machine pistols use a simple action.
2) Others use a complex

I know the canon pistols are inconsistent.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jan 26 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #5

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Why? Although I can see it from a game balance point of view, why should it be any different between a handgun, machine pistol or submachine guns? Whilst most of the real world ones appear to be more 3 round burst rather than fully automatic, something like the Fire Selector System for Glocks shows it's fairly easy to do. Watch the film clip, it's quite amusing. Although it's likely to give GM's nightmares if they ever allowed it, or a much more lethal game than normal. :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

if i'm gonna pay upwards of three grand for a burst-fire pistol, it's damn well going to burst on a simple action.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 26 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (fourstring_samurai)
I don't have the CC handy, but do all bursts from a burst fire pistol require a complex action? i don't remember this from the custom gun design options in the cc, but the BF pistols from the main book and others require a complex action.

am i missing something?

I don't think the Ares Viper requires a complex action to burst fire.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 26 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Right, so it's actually Complex 2 - Simple 3.

That FSS looks fun... And doesn't give me any headaches.

+Quote Post
sir fwank
post Jan 27 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 623

mauser gladiator
Concealability: 5
Ammunition: 12©
Mode: SA/BF
Damage: 9M
Weight: 3
Availability: 10/16Days
Cost: 1200
Street Index: 3.5
Accessories: RC(2)

from arsenal 2060. btw the german guns are listed in the german.dat files on mcmackies site, with a little tinkering...

i love the german guns.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jan 27 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #10

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
That FSS looks fun... And doesn't give me any headaches.

Well it's more of a game style thing. I've known people that were fine with it and others that wouldn't allow the thing within twelve feet of their games. The guy using it in-game also talked the GM into using Raygun's Burst Fire Control edge and loaded the thing with a heavy barrel, personalised grip and a smartlink-2. It got very... Underworld-esque. :D Although the GM can just use the standard whatever the players have, so can the NPC's argument. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

In my games, without Burst Fire Control, heavy barrels, personalized grips or underbarrel weights (or shock pads, or gas vents), there isn't much to be done to reduce the recoil. 1 point of RC is most you can get into a pistol IMG, which is a nice deterrent against that sort of thing.

And "so can the NPCs" is great in this case, because semi-auto pistols modified for fully automatic are easy enough to get hold of even for gangers. On the other hand, so are assault rifles...

+Quote Post
Gem the Troll
post Jan 27 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 5,973

Just remember strength 6 provides 1 point of recoil, and so does any stregth score beyond that (i.e. 7 gives 2, 8 gives 3)...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Not in my games they don't. :)

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jan 27 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

mfb wrote:
if i'm gonna pay upwards of three grand for a burst-fire pistol, it's damn well going to burst on a simple action.

Hear, hear.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (Velocity)
mfb wrote:

Hear, hear.

If memory serves, trying to get your hands on a burst-fire pistol is difficult enough, never mind trying to find a SA BF weapon.

And truthfully, if I have to engage a target a close to point blank ranges, I'll settle for a 3k, 12S weapon -- complex action or not. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 27 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

why? just get a T-250 with EX ammo. the conceal's only 1 point lower (!).

it should also be noted that the Slivergun--the premiere BF pistol--has a lower Avail than a taser.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #17

Dragon

The T-250 is a shotgun.

It's larger, heavier and harder to handle in a single hand than a heavy pistol.

Not to mention if more difficult to haul around if you have other things to carry like: medkits, microtronic toolkits and so on.

But primarily I like the idea of a burst-fire handgun because if you get in extremely close-quarters combat, managing a shotgun is a bit more difficult than a handgun. Call it a holdover from too many Cthulhu sessions. :grinbig:

-Siege

Edit: I've never liked sliver guns for the specific target selection attached to sliver weapons.

Edit: Hah! The SG is .25 kilos heavier than the 250. Oh well, my other points still stand. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Jan 27 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

There's no sense in me repeating what I or others said before me. So linkage!

Link to a post where I compare the machine pistols in SR.

Thread regarding heavy pistols, where a number of people comment that the complex fire thing is a holdover from the older editions and I perform a mini-hijack. Don't read past the first page.

I looked some in the archives, but I couldn't find anything more about burst firing pistols. Well, I DID but they're all either bitchfests about the AVS/Called shots(Pretty much the same thing) or people trying to get dual-wielding characters a break.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jan 27 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

mfb wrote:
Velocity wrote:
Hear, hear.
Siege wrote:
If memory serves, trying to get your hands on a burst-fire pistol is difficult enough, never mind trying to find a SA BF weapon.

Wait, don't tell me you actually buy your weapons off the rack? C'mon Siege, you've gotta be kidding me: unless you're looking for a throwaway gun (i.e. an Ares Predator you ditch in a dumpster after capping the corp veep), shouldn't you always custom build--or custom-order--your gun? Granted, it's a pricy proposition but well worth it in the long run. And as for making the weapon traceable... well, don't get caught and don't lose your gun. :)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jan 27 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Look at it this way: if you can find a weapon that fits your particular needs with a minimum of tweaking, you have more time for other things that also demand your attention.

Especially if you're not the gun bunny.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 27 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Gem the Troll)
Just remember strength 6 provides 1 point of recoil, and so does any stregth score beyond that (i.e. 7 gives 2, 8 gives 3)...

Er, no, no it doesn't. Any Strength between 6 and 10 or so offers a single point, 11-16 or somesuch is another point, and 17 and up is 3 points of RC.
Numbers pulled out of my arse, but that's the general scale. No 3 RC for cybered humans.

~J

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 27 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Siege Posted on Jan 27 2004, 09:07 PM
  Look at it this way: if you can find a weapon that fits your particular needs with a minimum of tweaking, you have more time for other things that also demand your attention.

My needs for a pistol tend to be pretty simple: Intimidate those I can. Shoot those I can't.

I agree w/ Seige. I generally don't like custom guns. It could be years of that Other Game influencing me, but I don't like to rely on modifers if I can avoid it. A gun, the bad guys/good guys (depending on your perspective) [read: GM] can take from you. Often times just when you need those mods the most...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 27 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Actually it's 6-11 for 1 RC, 12-18 for 2 and 19+ for 3. But not in my game.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jan 27 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Siege wrote:

Very true. I'm just reminded of the old Punisher comics, where Frank spent his waking hours either shooting people or tweaking his shooters so they'd shoot people better. You and kevyn668 both make good points, but I still think it's worth investing the time and currency into customizing your weapons. One doesn't have to use a custom-built gun as a crutch, but it is nice to have. :)

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 27 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Fair enough :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.