Reply to this topicStart new topic
> wait, what happened?, Sixth World History 101
underaneonhalo
post Sep 14 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,736

I can't help but feel that a lot of our newer players are missing out on a great deal of amazing background. This makes me sad.

Last night I began to think about how neat it would be to have a book that just contained background, a compendium of sixth world history detailing all of the things that any other history book would. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd crap in my hat and wear it for a book like that.

Tell me you wouldn't love to look at maps detailing how the North American and European borders have shifted about over the last 70 years, that alone would be worth the price of admission! Chapters detailing important wars, political events, breakthroughs in science and medicine! I want to feel like I'm holding a real history book, and I promise that when I have children I will teach them from it while telling them that the books at school are filled with corporate lies.

Also, it should have plenty of annotation from people who know what "really" happened.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Sep 14 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Same here. I'd like more so I don't have to go hunting through all the books just find some arcane reference to something I need RIGHT NOW but can''t remember which book it was in. Plus maps always = nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I think it would also be good to include which bits added to history through the various novels are actually canon. Good idea.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 14 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Isn't there a book in the Making? The Sports Almanach or however that one was called?
Over here, in Germany, we got something akin to this allready. "Die 6. Welt"

+Quote Post
Hartbaine
post Sep 14 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,115

I can't help but feel that a lot of our newer players are missing out on a great deal of amazing background.

So, let's make one.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post Sep 14 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 14 2009, 06:22 AM) *
Isn't there a book in the Making? The Sports Almanach or however that one was called?
Over here, in Germany, we got something akin to this allready. "Die 6. Welt"

Die 6. Welt is one of my biggest wants right now. Well, that and some of the foreign material for SR...

And yeah, we're getting the Sixth World Almanac sometime soon (you know how release dates are around here) which will not only have info on every country in the Sixth World, but also whole pages devoted to single years of Shadowrun history. You want a citation? Look in the new developer sticky.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 14 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Nah, i am good, i have my copy of Die 6. Welt ^^

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Sep 14 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Sep 14 2009, 06:02 AM) *
Die 6. Welt is one of my biggest wants right now. Well, that and some of the foreign material for SR...

And yeah, we're getting the Sixth World Almanac sometime soon (you know how release dates are around here) which will not only have info on every country in the Sixth World, but also whole pages devoted to single years of Shadowrun history. You want a citation? Look in the new developer sticky.

That is indeed an accurate description of the Sixth World Almanac. And did I mention the art? The full-color art I've been seeing? Mmmmmmmm . . .

Jason H.

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Sep 14 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Hmmm wait... Die Sechste Welt... that book that lies besides my bed, waiting to be read?

I thought it was more akin to my Battletech Bible which is... wait. Exactly that.
Needs 4th Edition update, ASAP!

+Quote Post
Nanostar
post Sep 14 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 17,637

QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Sep 14 2009, 08:52 AM) *
I can't help but feel that a lot of our newer players are missing out on a great deal of amazing background. This makes me sad.

Last night I began to think about how neat it would be to have a book that just contained background, a compendium of sixth world history detailing all of the things that any other history book would. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd crap in my hat and wear it for a book like that.

Tell me you wouldn't love to look at maps detailing how the North American and European borders have shifted about over the last 70 years, that alone would be worth the price of admission! Chapters detailing important wars, political events, breakthroughs in science and medicine! I want to feel like I'm holding a real history book, and I promise that when I have children I will teach them from it while telling them that the books at school are filled with corporate lies.

Also, it should have plenty of annotation from people who know what "really" happened.

well i have all the books from first.. and i'd love to see how the world has turned

+Quote Post
Bugfoxmaster
post Sep 14 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,510

This sounds like a wonderful idea. And now I'm waiting for the 5th World Almanac in haste again. Drat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.