Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tag eraser, Where is it?
Degausser
post Sep 18 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,698

Okay, so the Base book has indicates that you should be tag-erasing yourself all the time. Especially before a run. Get rid of those RFIDs telling every node that pings them about how awesome "Ares Super Breakfast Bars™" are. But, uhhh . . .

IS there a piece of equipment called a "Tag Eraser" in the BBB for 4th ed (I don't play 4a, some stuff I don't like.) I know I could GM caveat and say that it costs X (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) but I wanna know if there are actual rules for it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Sep 18 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

Could have sworn I came along one in the Gear section of Fanpro's SR4, haven't read that far in Catalyst's SR4A just yet (skimming over less). I think I found it on the same page as the Jammers, which I was looking at thinking about how to keep guards from giving away a shadowrunner's presense by sounding the alarm when they have a commlink on them, which I assume is standard - especially if they have a biomod on them and a Spider Rigger watching their signals as they go around on patrols, even considering false positives being filtered.

And I would guess it would be up to GM expectations and the desired pace of game if a player needed to declare using a tag eraser all the time. Though it would be interesting to learn that to be real Pro, you would need to custom make everything you can from its base components to avoid a hidden tag, at least from a fluff perspective.

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Sep 18 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

It's in the BBB, under "Communications", page 330. That's for SR4A, but IIRC it was listed in the original book as well.

EDIT: And why are you refusing to use lots of good changes because of a few you don't like? Wouldn't it be easier to just not use the ones you disagree with?

+Quote Post
Degausser
post Sep 18 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

As for why I don't use 4a, some of it is the changes, but I dunno. Maybe I'll take a look at the book again, see what's what. For one thing, the extra drain that mages take seems to make them pretty bad, but I could be misreading the rules there.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 18 2009, 01:54 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

They made that ill-conceived monstrosity an "optional" rule, but SR4A still left a bad taste in my mouth because of all of the lame rules changes it backdoored in. Including the fact that it made Karmagen, previously my favorite method of char-gen, unusable (and still no errata). I have SR4 already, but if they had limited themselves to new art and some clarifications and expansions, I probably would have bought a copy of SR4A, too.

In SR4, the tag eraser is on page 320.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 18 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 17 2009, 06:54 PM) *
They made that ill-conceived monstrosity an "optional" rule, but SR4A still left a bad taste in my mouth because of all of the lame rules changes it backdoored in. Including the fact that it made Karmagen, previously my favorite method of char-gen, unusable (and still no errata). I have SR4 already, but if they had limited themselves to new art and some clarifications and expansions, I probably would have bought a copy of SR4A, too.

In SR4, the tag eraser is on page 320.

And yet, Karmagen was greatly overpowered compared to BP Builds... No wonder so many people liked it... You could have your cake and eat it too... No nead for any Hard Decisions... What was there not to like about it? Personally, I am glad to see karmaGen "nerfed"...Here's to hoping it is never errata'd

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 18 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Karmagen wasn't nerfed. It was put into limbo until there is an errata. Currently, the 375 Karma limit on all Attributes, including special ones, makes it harder to create a viable awakened character or technomancer than it is using build points. My personal experience with karmagen echoes Cain's assertion that players tend to min-max less when they have more points. So what's your problem with other people "having their cake and eating it too"? You don't like something yourself, so you're happy (and publicly gloating) when it gets wrecked? You're kind of being an asshole here.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Sep 18 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Karma gen is fine except that now it is very harsh to awakened/technomancer characters.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 18 2009, 05:01 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Yeah, I guess it's a good thing that hardly anyone plays awakened characters.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 18 2009, 05:34 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Sep 18 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Karma gen is fine except that now it is very harsh to awakened/technomancer characters.

so yank the 50% cap on attributes, make it not apply to special attributes.

the only official campaign does not accept karmagen that i know of, so such a simple houserule is not exactly a huge problem to work out.

+Quote Post
McAllister
post Sep 18 2009, 07:04 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,282

QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 18 2009, 01:34 AM) *
so yank the 50% cap on attributes, make it not apply to special attributes.

the only official campaign does not accept karmagen that i know of, so such a simple houserule is not exactly a huge problem to work out.

Seconded! It doesn't apply to special attributes in BPgen, I see no reason not to apply the same in karmagen.

Same issue with freebies for knowledge skills. Makes just as much sense in one system as the other. Methinks sloppiness.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 18 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (McAllister @ Sep 18 2009, 03:04 AM) *
Seconded! It doesn't apply to special attributes in BPgen, I see no reason not to apply the same in karmagen.

Same issue with freebies for knowledge skills. Makes just as much sense in one system as the other. Methinks sloppiness.

This.

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Sep 18 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

the rule in regular SR4 for tag erasers was hard and fast. You turn it on and get it close to any regular RFID and it gets burned out. Any hardened tags and such are immune.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 17 2009, 09:52 PM) *
Karmagen wasn't nerfed. It was put into limbo until there is an errata. Currently, the 375 Karma limit on all Attributes, including special ones, makes it harder to create a viable awakened character or technomancer than it is using build points. My personal experience with karmagen echoes Cain's assertion that players tend to min-max less when they have more points. So what's your problem with other people "having their cake and eating it too"? You don't like something yourself, so you're happy (and publicly gloating) when it gets wrecked? You're kind of being an asshole here.

We have had this conversation in the past, and it never gets solved to anyone's satisfaction...

You just don't get it, and I am okay with that... To Each His Own...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
ZeroPoint
post Sep 19 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,368

This is not a conversation on BP vs Karmagen. If you want to continue your discussion, find one of the already existing threads on this subject.

As Glyph stated before, the Tag eraser is on pg 320 of the original 4th ed core book.

Tag Eraser 6F 150 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

Must be brought within 1 centimeter of the tag to erase it (no test required), so its not really a quick process to erase all the tags on your body.
And as previously stated, no effect on security tags.

+Quote Post
Degausser
post Sep 19 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Sep 19 2009, 03:42 PM) *
This is not a conversation on BP vs Karmagen. If you want to continue your discussion, find one of the already existing threads on this subject.

As Glyph stated before, the Tag eraser is on pg 320 of the original 4th ed core book.

Tag Eraser 6F 150 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

Must be brought within 1 centimeter of the tag to erase it (no test required), so its not really a quick process to erase all the tags on your body.
And as previously stated, no effect on security tags.

Wait, 1 CM??!! So, like, how do you erase tags that are INSIDE of you? Like in the story, with the guy who ate a breakfast bar and got caught. Is there a better tag eraser?

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 19 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2009, 11:11 AM) *
We have had this conversation in the past, and it never gets solved to anyone's satisfaction...

You just don't get it, and I am okay with that... To Each His Own...

It's not hard to "get". You're a roleplaying nazi and a flamebaiting troll. But I'm glad we have someone to fill the aching void in all of our lives now that Creepwood is no longer posting on the forums.

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Sep 19 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

QUOTE (Degausser @ Sep 19 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Wait, 1 CM??!! So, like, how do you erase tags that are INSIDE of you? Like in the story, with the guy who ate a breakfast bar and got caught. Is there a better tag eraser?

You tie a string around the tag eraser and swallow and wait an hour, then pull it back out. Hopefully it'll get close enough to work. Otherwise.. well.. it probably won't fit the other way up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 19 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Degausser @ Sep 19 2009, 02:58 PM) *

sure, all you gotta do is stuff an EMP grenade down your throat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(warning: may have side effects)

(on a more serious note, you should be able to have nanites that go through your stomach on a seek-and-destroy mission for RFIDs)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Sep 19 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

Or, you know, tag erase your candy bars BEFORE you eat them...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 19 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 19 2009, 05:06 PM) *
Or, you know, tag erase your candy bars BEFORE you eat them...

alternately, i would argue that restaurants* would likely not put RFIDs into their food, personally. they would get it shipped in and the containers would have RFIDs, perhaps, but the food itself would not.

* and by restaurants, i mean to exclude fast 'food' locations wherein edible substances of some form or another are served in wrappers or dropped into bags.

+Quote Post
MusicMan
post Sep 19 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,548

QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 19 2009, 04:52 PM) *
sure, all you gotta do is stuff an EMP grenade down your throat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Shoot yourself with a HERF gun...

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 19 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (MusicMan @ Sep 19 2009, 07:17 PM) *
Shoot yourself with a HERF gun...

i had considered that, but i'm not entirely sure how well that would work through a human body. i mean, water would tend to dissipate the beam, would it not? and of course, there's that saying about how the human body is mostly water. then again, that doesn't mean the human body has all the properties of water (at least, last i checked, i tend to maintain a fairly standard form not based on my environment, for one thing)

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Sep 19 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 17 2009, 07:52 PM) *
You could have your cake and eat it too...

Why the fuck would I want cake if I could not eat it? Because it looks pretty?

That is easily one of the most ill-conceived sayings there is, & yet people continue to use it all the fucking time.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Sep 20 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Sep 19 2009, 04:34 PM) *
Why the fuck would I want cake if I could not eat it? Because it looks pretty?

That is easily one of the most ill-conceived sayings there is, & yet people continue to use it all the fucking time.

Think it through, while the cake remains in your possession, say hands or sitting on the table, it still looks like a cake, all pretty and stuff but once you start eating it, all its good looks go away. I know it is a weird saying if you equate "having" to "my stomach is full" but it can make sense if you look at it from like a baker / cake decorator point of view. Ever watch that Cake Boss or whatever it is called show on TLC?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.