IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wondering about ruthenium, 12 scanners?
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 28 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

So, you get yourself a full body suit of ruthenium and want to do the whole chameleon cloaking thing. Good. But it doesn't work without scanners. You have to get at least 4 scanners, for a +4 modifier for people shooting at you. Of course, if you want it to work better, you can have up to 12 scanners, each one will add another +1 to the TN. +12 TN for people to see/shoot/etc you.
Here's where the problem comes...
So I'm trying to shoot said individual and my GM tells me the TN is +12. Yikes. So I cover my eyes. Not the TN is only +8 for blind fire. WTF?

As a GM, I let my players put up to 12 scanners on their ruthenium suits, but I never let them have more than +8 for fully visual tests. Of course, ruthenium is only half effective against thermo, so I let the 12 scanner guy get +6 against that. If scanners are damaged or something, it stays at full effectiveness, etc. But I never let them get more than +8 (the blind fire modifier).

Mostly, I was just wondering if anyone else had thought of this, or handled it differently. It seems like it would make sense, but as far as I know it never mentions (under the ruthenium section) any limitation to the effectiveness.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Jan 28 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

the +12 should only apply to perception tests to notice the player while sneaking. During combat when you are moving quickly(dodging, running, punching) the runthenium makes you more noticable. if a guard is trying to shoot at a sneaking char then I would say only the +8 blind fire mod applys, but not when the PC's shoot back

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 28 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #3

I still don't see why the fibers should make you more stealthy than if you're completely invisible (which would only grant +8 ) Otherwise, the on-duty guard would have a better chance to notice you by closing his eyes than by looking for you.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Jan 28 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Maybe because when you're looking at something you're relying on your vision which Ruthenium is design specifically to defeat (T# +12). In a blind fire cituation your vision isn't used so you rely on your other senses which can detect a ruthenium outfitted person, albeit badly (T# +8 ).

What would really be messed up is a runner kitted out with Ruthenium and a Stealth spell cast on them.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jan 28 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

The blind fire situation is predicated on knowing that your oponent is present, but not being able to actually see him or her. Hence, there are other senses, as well as just general prediction. That said, I personally feel the blind fire penalty should be +10 or +12, but that's another debate entirely.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 28 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #6

Yes, heaven forbid a thread goes in a direction other than originally intended.
Let's talk about that.
Blind fire +8, too lenient? Discuss...

+Quote Post
Grey
post Jan 28 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 100

Yeah, I only allow a player to take a blind fire shot if they know the general area the target is. Maybe they heard foot steps, or saw the dust being distrubed on the dirty floor. But if they don't know the target is there, they don't even have a chance to shoot.

+Quote Post
Alania
post Jan 28 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 5,517

Ruthenium gets less effective the faster you're moving with it
so you can still use the 12 scanners for moving arround without penalty compared to 8 scanners.
..up to 8 meters/ turn more ..can make quite a difference.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 28 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I just use +8 instead of +12 for the maximum modifier.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jan 28 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

I also house-rule cap the modifier at +8. Makes no sense for it to be more effective than complete invisibility.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 28 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #11

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

same here

+Quote Post
Grey
post Jan 28 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 100

What do you guys think of this?

They get max of +8, but with more than 8 scanners, they can move a little faster than normal without the system going haywire on them.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jan 28 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Too much for me to keep track of. The only advantage of extra scanners is redundancy.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jan 28 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Where does it say that invisibility grants a +8 to sight based perception tests? It isnt in the spell description (pg 195, SR3), and it's not in the perception test modifiers table (pg 232, SR3). I've always ruled that if someone fails to resist when observing an invisible thing, that person is simply incapable of succeeding in a vision-based perception test to detect that thing.

I dont know about you, but I think that "impossible to detect visually" is a little better than "+12 TN to detect visually, unless the perciever has themographic vision")

Then again, I also rule that its impossible to detect someone visually when in total darkness without some sort of vision enhancement (which just makes sense).

Finally, I only allow the +8 TN to blind fire if the shooter has some reason to know/guess where the invisible person/thing is. So, even if you succeed at your base difficulty 16 (+ lighting and cover mods, + stealth test result) perception test against a person with ruthenium/12 image scanners, you still have a +8 blind fire TN (note that the description of ruthenium does not mention that the +12 applies to combat)

Considering all of this, I dont think the possibility of attaining a +12 perception TN from ruthenium is at all unreasonable.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Jan 28 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

something i just though of-
you use ruth, it covers what it covers. But you still have a shadow.

so if its late afternoon, and you have a shadow, ruth isnt going to stop anyone from seeing that shadow of you, and if your shadow is on a wall, you just started drawing attention.

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Jan 28 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

Who knows what runthenium covered shadowrunners lurk in the coridors of SK?...
THE SHADOW KNOWS

+Quote Post
darloth
post Jan 28 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 4,912

Not that i ever think this would work with such a thin material without some really weird science (Something even shadowrun miht have trouble with) but i think ruthenium, in shadowrun, is assumed to actually emit the exact same amount (And colour) of light on the other side as was detected at the front.

Thus, you don't cast a shadow. Thats how i work it anyway.
(And no, it is not armour against lasers. Anything that high power burns through anyway, but it probably will transmit torch-beams or similar... Could be fun to use for other applications if this is the case)

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Feb 1 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,101

well you get the +8 if you cant see the target AND you have to gues where he is. you simply cant just roll the dice with +8 to TN and hit. you have to gues where the target might be and then make the lucky shot, but GM would only know if you hit even close.

if you want to get a blind shot, you gues where he is, roll and GM simply looks if your shot is in the same line as the might-be target. if not, it is a miss what ever the roll came up.
if you want to shot a ruthenium suit holding 12 scanners you get a max +12 to TN but at least you know your shoting at the right direction thus there realy is a chance for hitting the right target.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 2 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

where the heck did you people come up with the crazy idea that ruthenium adds its rating to the TN for ranged attacks? it certainly doesn't say anything like that in the rules, unless there's an errata that i'm not aware of. if you wanted to, you could allow a ruthenium-coated runner to gain the effects of camouflage--+1 TN, or +1 per 4 'points' of camo if you're feeling generous.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 2 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I don't know about you, but near-total invisibility seems like it'd make targetting me just a wee bit more difficult. And considering that the rules word it as a "perception modifier," it's a safe bet that it was intended to be applicable in combat.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Feb 2 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 948

Why not say that for ranged combat modifier you apply the base TN of 4+ for shooting and then add another +1 for every scanner above 4? This would be equal to the total of blind fire + base modifier for ruthenium.

Now, remember, this is a person looking like something out of the predator movie by creating an optical illusion by 'warping' (ok, not really but you get the point) light around itself so you would have serious problems hitting such a target.

Also, you should reduce the hit modifier in such a situation with Thermographic vision and Ultrasound vision since the first one would still se the heat signature of the target and another modifier for Ultrasound since it doesn't give a damn about ruthenium.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 2 2004, 08:28 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Nope. When encountering someone in a ruthenium suit, you make a perception test. This perception test covers all of the means by which you could sense the person - for most runners this would be vision and sound (rarely smell). If the character manages to generate at least one success at the TN determined by visual modifiers, the character's stealth test, and the modifiers provided by the ruthenium suit, he or she may shoot at the character without regard to the ruthenium suit's existance. If he or she fails to generate a success on vision based perception, but do manage to generate a success in some other means of perception,the character may fire at the target, but must add the +8 TN modifier for blind fire. If the character fails to generate any successes at all, he or she is completely unaware of the target. Its all pretty straightforward, methinks.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Feb 2 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 948

Agreed, sounds good since you get the BF mod anyway. That's a minimum of 12+ TN for a non smartlinked character. With a smartlink you'd have a 10+ to base TN that can be modified by vision mods i think.

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Feb 2 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,101

QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 2 2004, 10:28 AM)
If he or she fails to generate a success on vision based perception, but do manage to generate a success in some other means of perception,the character may fire at the target, but must add the +8 TN modifier for blind fire.

and +12 to TN to hit a thing, that is perfectly camoflaged, is logical to me.
look at the nearest wall.
if there would be perfectly camoflaged person against it it would be next to impossible to notice him (or it).
you can't see where the persons starts and the wall stops so it is eyes paining to tell a part the target from the wall.
you try and try and try to see the person and might even see some vivid out lines if you got keen eyes.
damn hard to target one.
"there it goes, no there. wait. it hifted. there it is. no. there. "
but if you know that the re is a person against that wall you can simply shoot midle of the wall and hope you get lucky.

so yes, geting +12 to shoot someone is grounded. you could also take the BF +8 modifier but your shooting only generaly at the right direction. and if you want to hit him with a spell, its TN just jumped with +12. targets must be SEEN.

and against thermo and ultrasound it's TN modifiers are halved, by the rules (read bit longer of the ruthenium rules from the book).
you could negate the ruthenium TN bonus simplky by turning off your light based vison, but then you loose the ability to distinguish colours on items (bigest draw back is that you can NOT see what writen in any format).
and if you use ultrasound only, you cant see colours or even trough windows.

ruthenium works best combined with thermal insulation 8 and stealth spell.
+8 to see you. always. (astral dudes are just shot down with mana bolt.)
yes but he still has to gues WHERE to shoot at.
and if there is nothing to hit where the shot goes, it is a clean miss.

in no way you hit by just adding +8 to TN, not having a clue where to shot at.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 2 2004, 11:49 AM
Post #25

Running Target

The +12 is never added to your ranged combat or spellcasting TN. its added to your perception test, and only your perception test, TN. if you succeed on your perception test, you have NO modifier to your attack roll unless some other modifier (cover, lighting, etc) applies. If you fail on your perception test you get the +8 for blind fire, assuming you hear or otherwise become aware of the target, and you CAN NOT cast spells at the cloaked target, because you fail to see the target.

The fact that you get a perception test to notice a ruthenium-cloaked target is indicative of the fact that the target is not perfectly camouflaged.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.