Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Toys 4 Riggers, Vroom and Boom
Marwynn
post Oct 28 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,093

What do you Riggers commonly use to haul your team around in? I know there's always the good ol' GMC Bulldog Step-Van or the GMC Hermes. But what else do you use to remain inconspicuous near corp buildings? I'm thinking of the Bulldog and modding in a Large Drone Rack for a Steel Lynx... but that may be too much.

I was thinking of a Jackrabbit or a Comet, used to save some money and to "sell it". Spoof Chips, Morphing Plates, and a Chameleon Coating lets it blend in well.

Are these specifically not GridLinked, so do I have to buy the GridLink mod and the GridLink over-ride? Apart from Rigger Adaptation what else am I missing?

Sorry my Rigger-friends, been ignoring you guys too long.

Any other tips and tricks I should be aware of? He is more of a Wheelman than a Dronerigger, he just has a few for added firepower and support. The Steel Lynx could be replaced by a CrashCart AutoDoc and a Doberman instead.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Oct 28 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 16,449

Rover Model 2068, Arsenal P. 109, luxury SUV, grants invisibility like wearing a suit on Wall Street. Take a look at the "Similar models" list also for this one and the ones you named, just use the same stats. That'll give you a few more options, or, well, it'll keep you from staring at the same vehicle name all the time anyway.

Spoof chip, Morphing Plates and GridLink Override are pretty much required, yes. Run Flat or Smart Tires, Additional Fuel Tank, Armor, ECM, Engine Customization (both), Drive-by-Wire, Nitrous, Road Strip Ejector, Smoke Projector, Signature Masking, Turbocharger...

[singing horribly off key and butchering the tune of 'My Favorite Things']
Vindicators on turrets... And Multi-Launch Raaaaacks...
Hail Barrage Rockets... remember Turbochargers staaaaack...
But leave the paint all nasty and rustiiiiing... (sleeper car)
These are a few of my favorite thiiiiings.....
[/singing horribly off key].

Obviously you won't be able to install all of these at once, use them to adjust the vehicle to fit the mission.

Edit: Added ancient torture of redneck singing. And yes, you should always keep a few cheepo cars like Jackrabbits and such around as disposable/throw away cars, buy 'em used from private citizens (while in disguise), not dealers, and leave them registered to the previous owner.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 28 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

I have roughly 75k to spend on Vehicles and Drones. It sounded like a lot till I started modifying one or two.

The Rover 2068 does seem like a bit of a bargain, I was thinking it'd be a good "meat" transport. I'm also looking at the Thundercloud Morgan as some sorta Jeep model. The Gaz was on my list too, but for hauling the heavy stuff (and people).

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Oct 28 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Added an edit above... Two words to save money... Used cars... Arsenal P. 104...

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Oct 28 2009, 05:19 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,426

Recently I've been considering adding a taxicab to the garage. Most of 'em in 2009 are retired cop cars bought at auction, so you can start with a used Chrysler-Nissan Patrol-1 (SR4A pg 351) which already has decent stats. Your GM may even allow you to use the 'Used Vehicle Rules' from Arsenal pg 104, which could drop the cost down to around 11,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) . Figure the standard morphing plates and spoof chip upgrades, but the taxi is already pretty invisible and anonymous. If you play your cards right, you could even use it for an easy grab of a target - just intercept their call for pickup, swing by, and turn on the stun gas nozzles while you chill in the armored front compartment.

+Quote Post
PirateChef
post Oct 28 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,467

I always prefer the use of an RV instead of a Van for my main moving fortress, or at least I did in 3rd, where a bigger vehicle meant you could put more in it. Now (Disclaimer: I've only glanced at the rules for vehicle augmentation) it seems that size doesn't really matter as much as the body rating of the vehicle.

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Oct 28 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 10,024

If you do get a used vehicle make sure to get the appropriate vehicle mechanic skill and check the machine thoroughly for faults.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Oct 28 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Pre-SR3 the Ford-Canada Bison RV was the best combination of good base stats and mod-ability. It's not nearly as good in SR4, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for the idea of a Rigger working and living in an modified RV. If your GM uses the Advanced Lifestyle rules you may be able to save some money since your "Amenities" portion is already taken care of (at least).

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 28 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Ooh I like the Taxi-Cab idea, as well as the Rover 2068 one. He has the Mechanic Skill Group which I should probably raise a tad more.

Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes? They seem rather large and unwieldy and other than slightly stronger armour I see no reason to not use a Doberman instead.

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Oct 28 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 09:15 AM) *
Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes?

Rotordrones and Fly-Spys, here...anybody rolling with the Heavies?

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Oct 28 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes? They seem rather large and unwieldy and other than slightly stronger armour I see no reason to not use a Doberman instead.

Dobermans run in "Walker Mode" so they use Pilot: Anthroform, some people don't like having to pick up the extra skill. The extra Body also means you can pack more mods in 'em.

+Quote Post
Tachi
post Oct 28 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 28 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Rotordrones and Fly-Spys, here...anybody rolling with the Heavies?

I usually keep one around in case the SHTF. Only used 'em once or twice.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Oct 28 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

QUOTE (Malachi @ Oct 28 2009, 02:11 PM) *
Dobermans run in "Walker Mode" so they use Pilot: Anthroform, some people don't like having to pick up the extra skill. The extra Body also means you can pack more mods in 'em.

The Walker mod in Arsenal includes text to the effect of "using legs or independent wheels or articulated tracks" Which means it may be drivable using pilot:anthroform or pilot:groundcraft depending on the specific vehicle.

So in our group we consider the doberman to be tachcoma-esque with wheels on independent "limbs" so it still uses groundcraft.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 28 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

That is a good point. But I think the Steel Lynx and Samurai are closer to the Tachikoma's quadruped wheel movement. It'd be nice if we actually got pictures...

I've settled on a GMC Bulldog Step-Van, out of tradition, and a very expensive Mercury Comet with Chameleon Coating.

Drones are: Doberman, LEBD-1, and a Modified GMC Chariot with a Smuggling Compartment (Shielded). Now, here's another question: what kind of shielding? I thought chemical to hide the smell of an Ingram Smartgun X and its ammo... Are delivery drones routinely scanned with sensors that'll see through Concealed Weapon Mounts?

I also have a Fly-Spy and a Kanmushi and I need some clarification on just how many enhancements I can stuff in one micro/mini camera/mic.

Also what are your spy drone loadouts?

+Quote Post
MikeKozar
post Oct 28 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Also what are your spy drone loadouts?

My first build was a little shaky - when I got a chance to revise, I made sure my Fly-Spy had the following:

Rank 6 Camera (Vision Enhancement 3, Thermographic)
Rank 6 Microphone (Hearing Enhancement 3)
Rank 6 RF Scanner
Clearsight Autosoft 3+

This means that it has three R6 sensors, so its Sensor Rating is raised to 6. When making perception tests, it will roll Sensor(6)+Vision/Audio Enhancement(3)+Clearsight(3), so 12 dice to spot the bad guys, not a bad pool.

It also has the functionality of a Sniffer 6 electronic warfare package, which means it has a good chance to spot and intercept enemy comms. Still figuring out all the rules on that, but it's nice to have.

I also added an upgraded Signal; if it winds up tailing somebody, I don't want to hit the edge of its range and lose video.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 29 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 27 2009, 08:57 PM) *
What do you Riggers commonly use to haul your team around in? I know there's always the good ol' GMC Bulldog Step-Van or the GMC Hermes. But what else do you use to remain inconspicuous near corp buildings? I'm thinking of the Bulldog and modding in a Large Drone Rack for a Steel Lynx... but that may be too much.

I was thinking of a Jackrabbit or a Comet, used to save some money and to "sell it". Spoof Chips, Morphing Plates, and a Chameleon Coating lets it blend in well.

Are these specifically not GridLinked, so do I have to buy the GridLink mod and the GridLink over-ride? Apart from Rigger Adaptation what else am I missing?

Sorry my Rigger-friends, been ignoring you guys too long.

Any other tips and tricks I should be aware of? He is more of a Wheelman than a Dronerigger, he just has a few for added firepower and support. The Steel Lynx could be replaced by a CrashCart AutoDoc and a Doberman instead.

Many Different Vehicles, but In a heavy Corporate Zone, you cannot go wrong with a Nightsky Limo...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Oct 29 2009, 02:44 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Yeah the Nightsky's stylin'! But I'm not gonna have the money for even a used one of those.

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 28 2009, 06:51 PM) *
My first build was a little shaky - when I got a chance to revise, I made sure my Fly-Spy had the following:

Rank 6 Camera (Vision Enhancement 3, Thermographic)
Rank 6 Microphone (Hearing Enhancement 3)
Rank 6 RF Scanner
Clearsight Autosoft 3+

This means that it has three R6 sensors, so its Sensor Rating is raised to 6. When making perception tests, it will roll Sensor(6)+Vision/Audio Enhancement(3)+Clearsight(3), so 12 dice to spot the bad guys, not a bad pool.

It also has the functionality of a Sniffer 6 electronic warfare package, which means it has a good chance to spot and intercept enemy comms. Still figuring out all the rules on that, but it's nice to have.

I also added an upgraded Signal; if it winds up tailing somebody, I don't want to hit the edge of its range and lose video.

Interesting setup. All of that fits into a Fly-Spy?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 29 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Yeah the Nightsky's stylin'! But I'm not gonna have the money for even a used one of those.

Interesting setup. All of that fits into a Fly-Spy?

Flyspy will support 3 Sensors, Autosofts are not a Sensor, they are program...
Each Sensor may be modified of course...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Saint Sithney
post Oct 29 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 17,722

Buy cars? How droll!

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Oct 29 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)

I dunno if SR4a changes it but sr4 a "camera" sensor could (paraphrase) be the 2070 equivalent of a video camera, including the microphone. You may not be able to load the camera up with all the mods due to availability limits but if you need basic audio/video you can het by with a "camera" sensor.

As to the hauler vehicle, it depends on location. In flooded LA or the crude roads of Australia I use the GMC everglades hovercraft. Its mostly undocumented (hovercrafts get no love) but we treat it as a van for cargo/seating. With SunCell, extra battery, appropriate environment adaptation, Valkyrie module with Fuzzy Logic upgrade, and 4 small drone racks it is a great vehicle to go outbacking.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 29 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Oct 29 2009, 10:54 AM) *
I dunno if SR4a changes it but sr4 a "camera" sensor could (paraphrase) be the 2070 equivalent of a video camera, including the microphone. You may not be able to load the camera up with all the mods due to availability limits but if you need basic audio/video you can het by with a "camera" sensor.

As to the hauler vehicle, it depends on location. In flooded LA or the crude roads of Australia I use the GMC everglades hovercraft. Its mostly undocumented (hovercrafts get no love) but we treat it as a van for cargo/seating. With SunCell, extra battery, appropriate environment adaptation, Valkyrie module with Fuzzy Logic upgrade, and 4 small drone racks it is a great vehicle to go outbacking.

Awesome... Yeah, one of the guys in my groups is looking into the hovergraft as well...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 30 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

pretty sure in SR4 it is considered to only include video, no audio.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 01:02 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 29 2009, 06:29 PM) *
pretty sure in SR4 it is considered to only include video, no audio.

Nope... Page 325, SR4 BBB

"Cameras can capture still photos, video or trideo (including Sound)."

Pretty much expalins it right there...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Oct 30 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

as for spydones, it depends on how closely you hew to Arsenal. In our group we have "classic" iBall drones (self propeled albeit with definite limitations)and then "lite' arsenal-style iBalls (lacking any propulsion but packing extra slots). I use "classic" iBalls with the flash/smoke option and add gecko tips. It still is pretty sucky on thick carpets, mud, etc, but it can roll along ceilings, excellent for scouting hallways. Equip it with microsopic vision and it makes an ideal inspection drone. Keep 'em on a tac-vest like hand grenades. If they're on your back they can act as a spotter so you are harder to surprise. With skinlink there's no RF to notice, hack, or jam. As a rigger, I like to keep one in my vehicle near my VR-dazed body so I can keep an eye on my immediate surroundings and have a means to defend myself in a way not likely to harm me in the process. Flashpak & thermal smoke at 1m is pretty harsh penalties.

I also like to equip a microdrone with a MAD scanner and wear it/carry it for an automatic and unobtrusive weapon scanner. If you're a jerk and your GM allows it, add the "taser" security system to your microdrone. Nothing like a high voltage hit to anyone trying to crush a drone.

Lastly, microdrones with a boosted Signal, good Eccm, a databomb, and R6 laser links make excellent network gateways. Stick one on the side of a building 4 blocks away and put another in a window facing said building and you have your own private link to the outside world.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 30 2009, 02:44 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Oct 29 2009, 08:40 PM) *
as for spydones, it depends on how closely you hew to Arsenal. In our group we have "classic" iBall drones (self propeled albeit with definite limitations)and then "lite' arsenal-style iBalls (lacking any propulsion but packing extra slots). I use "classic" iBalls with the flash/smoke option and add gecko tips. It still is pretty sucky on thick carpets, mud, etc, but it can roll along ceilings, excellent for scouting hallways. Equip it with microsopic vision and it makes an ideal inspection drone. Keep 'em on a tac-vest like hand grenades. If they're on your back they can act as a spotter so you are harder to surprise. With skinlink there's no RF to notice, hack, or jam. As a rigger, I like to keep one in my vehicle near my VR-dazed body so I can keep an eye on my immediate surroundings and have a means to defend myself in a way not likely to harm me in the process. Flashpak & thermal smoke at 1m is pretty harsh penalties.

I also like to equip a microdrone with a MAD scanner and wear it/carry it for an automatic and unobtrusive weapon scanner. If you're a jerk and your GM allows it, add the "taser" security system to your microdrone. Nothing like a high voltage hit to anyone trying to crush a drone.

Lastly, microdrones with a boosted Signal, good Eccm, a databomb, and R6 laser links make excellent network gateways. Stick one on the side of a building 4 blocks away and put another in a window facing said building and you have your own private link to the outside world.

All very good ideas, Thanks

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.