Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toys 4 Riggers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Marwynn
What do you Riggers commonly use to haul your team around in? I know there's always the good ol' GMC Bulldog Step-Van or the GMC Hermes. But what else do you use to remain inconspicuous near corp buildings? I'm thinking of the Bulldog and modding in a Large Drone Rack for a Steel Lynx... but that may be too much.

I was thinking of a Jackrabbit or a Comet, used to save some money and to "sell it". Spoof Chips, Morphing Plates, and a Chameleon Coating lets it blend in well.

Are these specifically not GridLinked, so do I have to buy the GridLink mod and the GridLink over-ride? Apart from Rigger Adaptation what else am I missing?

Sorry my Rigger-friends, been ignoring you guys too long.

Any other tips and tricks I should be aware of? He is more of a Wheelman than a Dronerigger, he just has a few for added firepower and support. The Steel Lynx could be replaced by a CrashCart AutoDoc and a Doberman instead.
Tachi
Rover Model 2068, Arsenal P. 109, luxury SUV, grants invisibility like wearing a suit on Wall Street. Take a look at the "Similar models" list also for this one and the ones you named, just use the same stats. That'll give you a few more options, or, well, it'll keep you from staring at the same vehicle name all the time anyway.

Spoof chip, Morphing Plates and GridLink Override are pretty much required, yes. Run Flat or Smart Tires, Additional Fuel Tank, Armor, ECM, Engine Customization (both), Drive-by-Wire, Nitrous, Road Strip Ejector, Smoke Projector, Signature Masking, Turbocharger...

[singing horribly off key and butchering the tune of 'My Favorite Things']
Vindicators on turrets... And Multi-Launch Raaaaacks...
Hail Barrage Rockets... remember Turbochargers staaaaack...
But leave the paint all nasty and rustiiiiing... (sleeper car)
These are a few of my favorite thiiiiings.....
[/singing horribly off key].

Obviously you won't be able to install all of these at once, use them to adjust the vehicle to fit the mission.

Edit: Added ancient torture of redneck singing. And yes, you should always keep a few cheepo cars like Jackrabbits and such around as disposable/throw away cars, buy 'em used from private citizens (while in disguise), not dealers, and leave them registered to the previous owner.
Marwynn
I have roughly 75k to spend on Vehicles and Drones. It sounded like a lot till I started modifying one or two.

The Rover 2068 does seem like a bit of a bargain, I was thinking it'd be a good "meat" transport. I'm also looking at the Thundercloud Morgan as some sorta Jeep model. The Gaz was on my list too, but for hauling the heavy stuff (and people).

Tachi
Added an edit above... Two words to save money... Used cars... Arsenal P. 104...
MikeKozar
Recently I've been considering adding a taxicab to the garage. Most of 'em in 2009 are retired cop cars bought at auction, so you can start with a used Chrysler-Nissan Patrol-1 (SR4A pg 351) which already has decent stats. Your GM may even allow you to use the 'Used Vehicle Rules' from Arsenal pg 104, which could drop the cost down to around 11,000 nuyen.gif . Figure the standard morphing plates and spoof chip upgrades, but the taxi is already pretty invisible and anonymous. If you play your cards right, you could even use it for an easy grab of a target - just intercept their call for pickup, swing by, and turn on the stun gas nozzles while you chill in the armored front compartment.
PirateChef
I always prefer the use of an RV instead of a Van for my main moving fortress, or at least I did in 3rd, where a bigger vehicle meant you could put more in it. Now (Disclaimer: I've only glanced at the rules for vehicle augmentation) it seems that size doesn't really matter as much as the body rating of the vehicle.
EvilP
If you do get a used vehicle make sure to get the appropriate vehicle mechanic skill and check the machine thoroughly for faults.
Malachi
Pre-SR3 the Ford-Canada Bison RV was the best combination of good base stats and mod-ability. It's not nearly as good in SR4, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for the idea of a Rigger working and living in an modified RV. If your GM uses the Advanced Lifestyle rules you may be able to save some money since your "Amenities" portion is already taken care of (at least).
Marwynn
Ooh I like the Taxi-Cab idea, as well as the Rover 2068 one. He has the Mechanic Skill Group which I should probably raise a tad more.

Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes? They seem rather large and unwieldy and other than slightly stronger armour I see no reason to not use a Doberman instead.
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 09:15 AM) *
Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes?

Rotordrones and Fly-Spys, here...anybody rolling with the Heavies?
Malachi
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Question: How do you guys use Steel Lynxes? They seem rather large and unwieldy and other than slightly stronger armour I see no reason to not use a Doberman instead.

Dobermans run in "Walker Mode" so they use Pilot: Anthroform, some people don't like having to pick up the extra skill. The extra Body also means you can pack more mods in 'em.
Tachi
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 28 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Rotordrones and Fly-Spys, here...anybody rolling with the Heavies?

I usually keep one around in case the SHTF. Only used 'em once or twice.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Malachi @ Oct 28 2009, 02:11 PM) *
Dobermans run in "Walker Mode" so they use Pilot: Anthroform, some people don't like having to pick up the extra skill. The extra Body also means you can pack more mods in 'em.

The Walker mod in Arsenal includes text to the effect of "using legs or independent wheels or articulated tracks" Which means it may be drivable using pilot:anthroform or pilot:groundcraft depending on the specific vehicle.

So in our group we consider the doberman to be tachcoma-esque with wheels on independent "limbs" so it still uses groundcraft.
Marwynn
That is a good point. But I think the Steel Lynx and Samurai are closer to the Tachikoma's quadruped wheel movement. It'd be nice if we actually got pictures...

I've settled on a GMC Bulldog Step-Van, out of tradition, and a very expensive Mercury Comet with Chameleon Coating.

Drones are: Doberman, LEBD-1, and a Modified GMC Chariot with a Smuggling Compartment (Shielded). Now, here's another question: what kind of shielding? I thought chemical to hide the smell of an Ingram Smartgun X and its ammo... Are delivery drones routinely scanned with sensors that'll see through Concealed Weapon Mounts?

I also have a Fly-Spy and a Kanmushi and I need some clarification on just how many enhancements I can stuff in one micro/mini camera/mic.

Also what are your spy drone loadouts?
MikeKozar
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 02:38 PM) *
Also what are your spy drone loadouts?

My first build was a little shaky - when I got a chance to revise, I made sure my Fly-Spy had the following:

Rank 6 Camera (Vision Enhancement 3, Thermographic)
Rank 6 Microphone (Hearing Enhancement 3)
Rank 6 RF Scanner
Clearsight Autosoft 3+

This means that it has three R6 sensors, so its Sensor Rating is raised to 6. When making perception tests, it will roll Sensor(6)+Vision/Audio Enhancement(3)+Clearsight(3), so 12 dice to spot the bad guys, not a bad pool.

It also has the functionality of a Sniffer 6 electronic warfare package, which means it has a good chance to spot and intercept enemy comms. Still figuring out all the rules on that, but it's nice to have.

I also added an upgraded Signal; if it winds up tailing somebody, I don't want to hit the edge of its range and lose video.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 27 2009, 08:57 PM) *
What do you Riggers commonly use to haul your team around in? I know there's always the good ol' GMC Bulldog Step-Van or the GMC Hermes. But what else do you use to remain inconspicuous near corp buildings? I'm thinking of the Bulldog and modding in a Large Drone Rack for a Steel Lynx... but that may be too much.

I was thinking of a Jackrabbit or a Comet, used to save some money and to "sell it". Spoof Chips, Morphing Plates, and a Chameleon Coating lets it blend in well.

Are these specifically not GridLinked, so do I have to buy the GridLink mod and the GridLink over-ride? Apart from Rigger Adaptation what else am I missing?

Sorry my Rigger-friends, been ignoring you guys too long.

Any other tips and tricks I should be aware of? He is more of a Wheelman than a Dronerigger, he just has a few for added firepower and support. The Steel Lynx could be replaced by a CrashCart AutoDoc and a Doberman instead.

Many Different Vehicles, but In a heavy Corporate Zone, you cannot go wrong with a Nightsky Limo...

Keep the Faith
Marwynn
Yeah the Nightsky's stylin'! But I'm not gonna have the money for even a used one of those.

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Oct 28 2009, 06:51 PM) *
My first build was a little shaky - when I got a chance to revise, I made sure my Fly-Spy had the following:

Rank 6 Camera (Vision Enhancement 3, Thermographic)
Rank 6 Microphone (Hearing Enhancement 3)
Rank 6 RF Scanner
Clearsight Autosoft 3+

This means that it has three R6 sensors, so its Sensor Rating is raised to 6. When making perception tests, it will roll Sensor(6)+Vision/Audio Enhancement(3)+Clearsight(3), so 12 dice to spot the bad guys, not a bad pool.

It also has the functionality of a Sniffer 6 electronic warfare package, which means it has a good chance to spot and intercept enemy comms. Still figuring out all the rules on that, but it's nice to have.

I also added an upgraded Signal; if it winds up tailing somebody, I don't want to hit the edge of its range and lose video.

Interesting setup. All of that fits into a Fly-Spy?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 28 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Yeah the Nightsky's stylin'! But I'm not gonna have the money for even a used one of those.

Interesting setup. All of that fits into a Fly-Spy?

Flyspy will support 3 Sensors, Autosofts are not a Sensor, they are program...
Each Sensor may be modified of course...

Keep the Faith
Saint Sithney
Buy cars? How droll!
kigmatzomat
I dunno if SR4a changes it but sr4 a "camera" sensor could (paraphrase) be the 2070 equivalent of a video camera, including the microphone. You may not be able to load the camera up with all the mods due to availability limits but if you need basic audio/video you can het by with a "camera" sensor.

As to the hauler vehicle, it depends on location. In flooded LA or the crude roads of Australia I use the GMC everglades hovercraft. Its mostly undocumented (hovercrafts get no love) but we treat it as a van for cargo/seating. With SunCell, extra battery, appropriate environment adaptation, Valkyrie module with Fuzzy Logic upgrade, and 4 small drone racks it is a great vehicle to go outbacking.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Oct 29 2009, 10:54 AM) *
I dunno if SR4a changes it but sr4 a "camera" sensor could (paraphrase) be the 2070 equivalent of a video camera, including the microphone. You may not be able to load the camera up with all the mods due to availability limits but if you need basic audio/video you can het by with a "camera" sensor.

As to the hauler vehicle, it depends on location. In flooded LA or the crude roads of Australia I use the GMC everglades hovercraft. Its mostly undocumented (hovercrafts get no love) but we treat it as a van for cargo/seating. With SunCell, extra battery, appropriate environment adaptation, Valkyrie module with Fuzzy Logic upgrade, and 4 small drone racks it is a great vehicle to go outbacking.

Awesome... Yeah, one of the guys in my groups is looking into the hovergraft as well...

Keep the Faith
Jaid
pretty sure in SR4 it is considered to only include video, no audio.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 29 2009, 06:29 PM) *
pretty sure in SR4 it is considered to only include video, no audio.

Nope... Page 325, SR4 BBB

"Cameras can capture still photos, video or trideo (including Sound)."

Pretty much expalins it right there...

Keep the Faith
kigmatzomat
as for spydones, it depends on how closely you hew to Arsenal. In our group we have "classic" iBall drones (self propeled albeit with definite limitations)and then "lite' arsenal-style iBalls (lacking any propulsion but packing extra slots). I use "classic" iBalls with the flash/smoke option and add gecko tips. It still is pretty sucky on thick carpets, mud, etc, but it can roll along ceilings, excellent for scouting hallways. Equip it with microsopic vision and it makes an ideal inspection drone. Keep 'em on a tac-vest like hand grenades. If they're on your back they can act as a spotter so you are harder to surprise. With skinlink there's no RF to notice, hack, or jam. As a rigger, I like to keep one in my vehicle near my VR-dazed body so I can keep an eye on my immediate surroundings and have a means to defend myself in a way not likely to harm me in the process. Flashpak & thermal smoke at 1m is pretty harsh penalties.

I also like to equip a microdrone with a MAD scanner and wear it/carry it for an automatic and unobtrusive weapon scanner. If you're a jerk and your GM allows it, add the "taser" security system to your microdrone. Nothing like a high voltage hit to anyone trying to crush a drone.

Lastly, microdrones with a boosted Signal, good Eccm, a databomb, and R6 laser links make excellent network gateways. Stick one on the side of a building 4 blocks away and put another in a window facing said building and you have your own private link to the outside world.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Oct 29 2009, 08:40 PM) *
as for spydones, it depends on how closely you hew to Arsenal. In our group we have "classic" iBall drones (self propeled albeit with definite limitations)and then "lite' arsenal-style iBalls (lacking any propulsion but packing extra slots). I use "classic" iBalls with the flash/smoke option and add gecko tips. It still is pretty sucky on thick carpets, mud, etc, but it can roll along ceilings, excellent for scouting hallways. Equip it with microsopic vision and it makes an ideal inspection drone. Keep 'em on a tac-vest like hand grenades. If they're on your back they can act as a spotter so you are harder to surprise. With skinlink there's no RF to notice, hack, or jam. As a rigger, I like to keep one in my vehicle near my VR-dazed body so I can keep an eye on my immediate surroundings and have a means to defend myself in a way not likely to harm me in the process. Flashpak & thermal smoke at 1m is pretty harsh penalties.

I also like to equip a microdrone with a MAD scanner and wear it/carry it for an automatic and unobtrusive weapon scanner. If you're a jerk and your GM allows it, add the "taser" security system to your microdrone. Nothing like a high voltage hit to anyone trying to crush a drone.

Lastly, microdrones with a boosted Signal, good Eccm, a databomb, and R6 laser links make excellent network gateways. Stick one on the side of a building 4 blocks away and put another in a window facing said building and you have your own private link to the outside world.

All very good ideas, Thanks

Keep the Faith
Marwynn
I ended up with two vehicles.

GMC Bulldog Step-Van
Pilot 3, Maneuver 3, Sensor 3, Covert Ops 3
Run Flat Tires x 4
Rigger Adaptation
Manual Control Override (Drive By Wire)
GridLink
GridLink Override
Drone Rack (Small) x 2

Mercury Comet
Pilot 3, Maneuver 3, Sensor 3
Run Flat Tires x 4
Rigger Adaptation
Manual Control Override (Drive By Wire)
GridLink
GridLink Override
Chameleon Coating

Both cost a lot of money but they seem to be worth it for now. I haven't messed with the performance, the Step-Van has half its mod slots still available and the Comet has 4 more slots.

I'm broke and can't get any more money beyond going In Debt, and I'm not liking the gleam in my GM's eye when that's mentioned. So any future mods, like chameleon coating for the Step-Van can come later in game. I wish I had 2.5k to buy a Vehicle Tag Eraser for the Comet, but alas I have no spare karma.

It'll give my Rigger something to do.

Thoughts and comments? They're pretty standard I know.
Tachi
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 30 2009, 05:06 PM) *
I ended up with two vehicles.
*snip*
Thoughts and comments? They're pretty standard I know.

It's always been my understanding that vehicles come with Gridguide and Gridlink as a standard feature, only 'antique' pre-gridguide/gridlink vehicles and those intended for use outside the city didn't have it when bought. That was just my understanding, but if your GM agrees you can save some money and mod capacity there.
Johnny Hammersticks
I run a game, our rigger, a Cram addicted Uncouth Ork chica, she's latin, went with the Hyundai Sedan from Arsenal. Those extra mod slots are very useful. Also, as a sedan, she can move the team around with her (no trolls!)
Marwynn
I thought that too, but then why have it be a mod? And why do some make specific mention of it?

I figure the standard version doesn't have it, and an upgrade will pay for it, and what we see is the base model. But hey, it saves me money and mod slots so I'll bring that up thanks.

Johnny, do you mean the Hyundai Shin-Hyung? Hmm I had thought of it as a 2-door but it looks like a 4-door. Perhaps a bit more 'social camoflauge' when in the corp areas compared the Mercury Comet.
Johnny Hammersticks
That's a great question about the doors. we didn't really think of it that way.

If you look at the stats line in Arsenal for the Hyundai, it says its a sedan. In the vehicle gear section in 20A, it says that a sedan seats 5 I think. Still our rigger is saving her nuyen for a step van for what its worth.

Axl
"It's always been my understanding that vehicles come with Gridguide and Gridlink as a standard feature." - Tachi

I'd say Gridguide - yes, Gridlink - no. I don't recall reading anywhere that Gridlink is a default install, and it has a specific price and slot requirement.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Axl @ Nov 1 2009, 06:10 AM) *
"It's always been my understanding that vehicles come with Gridguide and Gridlink as a standard feature." - Tachi

I'd say Gridguide - yes, Gridlink - no. I don't recall reading anywhere that Gridlink is a default install, and it has a specific price and slot requirement.

Only for after market modifications... Many vehicles would come with it standard, especially the higher end vehicles...
Just like today...

Which city would absorb the cost of such a system (Gridlink services) if the vehicular system was not ubiquitous... if there is no demand for the service (via standard installation on most, if not all vehicles) then the service would not exist... it is too costly to assume otherwise...

The modification would exist for those vehicles that do not come with it standard, like probably most Motorcycles, as the system would be an oddity on such a vehicle)

Keep the Faith
Axl
So why doesn't Arsenal indicate that some (most?) ground vehicles come with GridLink as standard?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Axl @ Nov 1 2009, 11:39 AM) *
So why doesn't Arsenal indicate that some (most?) ground vehicles come with GridLink as standard?

They also don't reference that they have a trunk, or Side Mirrors or even a Steering Wheel either... but you assume that they are there don't you?

I go with Cars, trucks and Larger ground vehicles (No Hovercraft by default) required for everyday life automatically have gridlink... Motorcycles and other "exotic" vehicles (such as Hovercraft) do not come with this option stacdard because of teh way that they are designed... they can be added to these vehicles as a modification if desired...

Keep the Faith
Axl
"They also don't reference that they have a trunk, or Side Mirrors or even a Steering Wheel either... but you assume that they are there don't you?" - TJ

The trunk, side mirrors and steering wheel don't have explicitly listed prices and slot requirements. You'll notice that this is the exact reason that I assume that GridGuide is a default standard.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Axl @ Nov 1 2009, 12:21 PM) *
"They also don't reference that they have a trunk, or Side Mirrors or even a Steering Wheel either... but you assume that they are there don't you?" - TJ

The trunk, side mirrors and steering wheel don't have explicitly listed prices and slot requirements. You'll notice that this is the exact reason that I assume that GridGuide is a default standard.

It is indeed... and we use that rational for Gridlink as well... It just makes sense... But that is us, maybe it does not make sense to you and that is okay... I am comfortable as including it in our House Rules...

Keep the Faith...
Harboe
Tangently related to the topic at hand, I have a question...

Could I install a Gridlink (or the Gridlink Override upgrade, for that matter) in a drone?
I see nothing against it, only for it, but it seems too good to be true. No longer would one have to worry about operation time. It'd be recharged during the run and (with a Spoof Chip) no one would be any the wiser.
Traul
The gridlink infrastructure is only installed in streets, isn't it? Unless you are using your drones there, I don't see any use for it.
Harboe
I thought it was wireless recharging of energy cells (a technology we're already experimenting with).
It would make sense to make it extend to more than just the road itself, allowing subscribers to recharge their car while it's parked or sitting in the parking lot of their employer (say, a Corp?). Seeing as how people are being charged for it anyway (no pun intended, yet there it was) there's no need to worry about profit.

But yea, with a nice GMC Sandal - a package delivery drone - used for undercover surveillance, it's nice to know that it could be scoping out an area all day and I won't have to worry about setting off alarms (it being inconspicuous), triggering wards (it being non-sentient and having little to no presence in the Astral), getting stolen (anti-theft system for the win!) or running out of power. cyber.gif
Traul
The system is described in Arsenal. Only highways and A level neighbourhoods are equiped.

It would be up to the owner to equip a private building. I don't see why anybody would bother to equip a parking lot when the link is available on the street: the car will reload when you take it out anyway. Unless you love to use your 6000W sound system in the parking lot, of course silly.gif
Corgak
So I had these ideas for a couple vehicles for my character, a surged ork weapon specialist with skills in armorer and auto mechanic and can drive.
I figured this would be a good place to post these.

Thundercloud Contrail
Concealed Armor (Rating 10)*
Special Armor Modification: Non-conductive (max rating is listed as either 6 or 10 depending on where you look in Arsenal, so GM needs to rule on this for me)
Anti-Theft System
Chameleon Coating
Normal Weapon Mount (concealed visibility, fixed flexibility, remote control, mounted on front of vehicle)
Skinlinked controls (all broadcasting turned off)

Conestoga Vista
Concealed Armor (Rating 10)*
EM Shielding
Gun Ports x3 (mounted on each side and rear of vehicle)
Life Support (Rating 2)
Multilaunch Drone Rack
Reinforced Weapon Mount (concealed visibility, flexible flexibility, remote control, mount on front of vehicle)
Skinlinked controls (all broadcasting turned off)

Any comments on these vehicles would be appreciated. Particularly on the pros and cons to the builds. The bike is for manueverability and the capability of parking just about anywhere. The bus is intended to be a mobile command center where the rigger can keep an eye on things (obviously there is no rigger adaptation, but I was going to discuss the options of reconfiguring the inside to have weapons lockers, rigging and hacking stations, etc. with the GM)*

*Editted
Marwynn
Hmm I don't know if that Contrail's legal. The Concealed Armour, Anti-Theft, and Chameleon coating is 6 slots. The Weapon Mount is 5, but the Contrail only has 10 slots.

Also, reconsider the armour on it. It's a bike so you're rather open yourself and probably packing more protection.
Udoshi
No, the arsenal errata and second printing reduce Chameleon Coating to one slot, so it works.

Question...would putting a Manual, Armored control on a bike be enough rules-fu to give its operator protection in most cases?
Marwynn
Bah I forgot that! But then there's still Skinlink and that Adaptation.

That would probably depend on where the gun was. I know, silly answer, but it's probably going to be up to your GM to decide. My bike of choice is the Revolution, since it can be armoured somewhat convincingly.
Jaid
concealed armor is capped at 10.
Corgak
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 6 2009, 12:34 AM) *
concealed armor is capped at 10.

Oops, thanks, I forgot about that so, yea both will have conceiled armor at 10.
EvilP
You might want to get the Amenities upgrade for the Vista bus so you can live in it for the duration of a long run.
Corgak
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Nov 5 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Hmm I don't know if that Contrail's legal. The Concealed Armour, Anti-Theft, and Chameleon coating is 6 slots. The Weapon Mount is 5, but the Contrail only has 10 slots.

Its RAW that you can go over the slot "max" but that the GM is encouraged to have side effects like reduced manueverability or top speed, etc.

QUOTE (Marwynn @ Nov 5 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Also, reconsider the armour on it. It's a bike so you're rather open yourself and probably packing more protection.

That however is a very good point. If I eliminate the armor that still leaves me with one slot unused before penalties can be applied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012