IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renraku Arcology/ACHE - exact location?
neko128
post Oct 31 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,209

Okay. I was reading through Seattle 2072, and the Arcology was re-classified from a "place of interest" to a "neighborhood". Hell, it's big enough, I won't argue. In Runner Havens, it's listed as "Seattle Center, Downtown". In "New Seattle", it's listed as "1 Renraku Avenue", which I assume is made up (I haven't tried Google Maps). I can't find my copies of Shutdown or the old Seattle sourcebook to check those right now, but my question is... Where, exactly, is it? I mean, most of the stuff, you can actually see it marked on the maps; or you can even go to Google Maps, look up the address, and say "There! It's in that spot!" But I haven't been able to find a map which specifically pointed out where the Arcology sits.

The best suggestion I've heard is that every map of the Downtown area in Seattle has a little square, on the waterfront, marked "Downtown". One of my friends said that entire square is the Arcology.

Can anyone point me to a reference I'm missing, or whatever?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 31 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

times like these i can actually enjoy that i ended up trading my tir book for the seattle sourcebook...

from what i can tell, comparing google maps of seattle with the fold out downtown map of the book, the archology straddles yester way from the harbor to 4th avenue street, at least as far south as s king street, and about similarly north (cutting of 5th avenue and reaching almost highway 5, or whatever its called)...

basically its a single big rectangle on the downtown map...

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Oct 31 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

Someone ask Catalyst if I can scan the map from my First Ed book.

But I feel like I am having my leg pulled. They made a map of Seattle and didn't put the ARC? You have got to be Drekking me.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 31 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #4

panda!

the downtown square on the seattle maps of later books seems to basically be the folded downtown map in the seattle sourcebook.

btw, i did some quick math based on the scale of the google map i was looking at, and the thing is 400 by 600 meter, or about 240000 square meter!

while the aztechology area seems close, the actual pyramid they have there is maybe 1/4 of the total area...

the archology is truly massive...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 31 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

It really is. I started a project in my foolish youth to CAD up floorplans of the arcology, which involved a bunch of calculation of various aspects of the Arc.

Let me tell you, the Arc is monstrous. I seem to remember it also being fairly steep, all things considered.

Edit: Hobgoblin: RA:S p72 gives dimensions of 780m by 650m base, 969m tall.

~J

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 31 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #6

panda!

could very well be, as i based my measurements on the scale given on the map, and eyeballing the streets bordering the building (if it can be called that).

could be its reaching further towards the harbor then i got the impression of from the map.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Oct 31 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Oct 31 2009, 10:19 AM) *
But I feel like I am having my leg pulled. They made a map of Seattle and didn't put the ARC? You have got to be Drekking me.

If the RA/ACHE is marked on the Seattle 2072 map of downtown, I missed it.

*shrugs*

This is the thing - I know, with absolutely certainty, I've seen a map including it before. However, I currently have access to none of my pre-3rd-ed books and only a handful of my 3rd-ed ones, so I can't check them all...

+Quote Post
BlueMax
post Oct 31 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 15,708

QUOTE (neko128 @ Oct 31 2009, 09:01 AM) *
If the RA/ACHE is marked on the Seattle 2072 map of downtown, I missed it.

*shrugs*

This is the thing - I know, with absolutely certainty, I've seen a map including it before. However, I currently have access to none of my pre-3rd-ed books and only a handful of my 3rd-ed ones, so I can't check them all...

First Ed back cover has it. I would show you but I ph34r the lawyers.

BlueMax

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 31 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #9

panda!

QUOTE (neko128 @ Oct 31 2009, 05:01 PM) *

back of seattle sourcebook most likely.

the folded map there of downtown is very easy to miss.

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Oct 31 2009, 05:18 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,687

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 31 2009, 10:32 AM) *
It really is. I started a project in my foolish youth to CAD up floorplans of the arcology, which involved a bunch of calculation of various aspects of the Arc.

Let me tell you, the Arc is monstrous. I seem to remember it also being fairly steep, all things considered.

~J

yup. And even the UCAS military hasn't entirely cleared the place yet. they're still sorting out a lot of the damage caused by the whole Deus incident.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 31 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #11

panda!

hmm, now that i think about it, deus could probably hide away whole labs and server rooms simply by having some worker drones pack the place in walls and remodeling the nearby hallways.

any building plans that renraku had before the shutdown is probably wildly inaccurate outside of the basic locations of support structures...

heh, i recall reading ones that a university having a audit of their server hardware had to follow a ethernet cable and knock down a lite wall to locate one of their old reliable ones that had been sitting in some corner for years without failure. Now consider a similar situation, only you have no clue where something is hooked up, and going in to the network to see if you can dig out some hardware address is likely to get your hardware or brain fried from whatever deus left behind.

renraku and/or ucas personel probably just cleaned out whatever systems used to run the seattle utilites and other services and just shored of the rest for later study, if ever.

the place is like some old dwarven mountain fortress, long abandoned, where people have started to stay in the "courtyard", with scary stuff hiding in the deep shafts...

a man and AI made moria, perhaps? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Oct 31 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 31 2009, 01:22 PM) *
hmm, now that i think about it, deus could probably hide away whole labs and server rooms simply by having some worker drones pack the place in walls and remodeling the nearby hallways.

not to mention that those Otaku all got out of the arc without getting caught. that implies that there's at least ONE hidden entrance to the Arc somewhere out there that nobody's found yet. Pax and her crew could even be occasionally hiding out somewhere in there and nobody would ever know it.

+Quote Post
Jekolmy
post Oct 31 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,575

So was there a resolution to the whole arcology mess and if so what was it? I mean aside from Deus escaping for the life of me I can't remember anything about the area being declared fit or unfit to live in.

+Quote Post
Weaver95
post Oct 31 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jekolmy @ Oct 31 2009, 04:49 PM) *
So was there a resolution to the whole arcology mess and if so what was it? I mean aside from Deus escaping for the life of me I can't remember anything about the area being declared fit or unfit to live in.

basically, the UCAS military spent two years reclaiming key areas of the arc from Deus's brainwashed troops. There was the usual flurry of lawsuits and finger pointing but the Seattle gov ended up with the building on their plate. So they turned it into low rent housing. Ok, section 8 slums.

But aside from building a section of slums and reclaiming the mall, about 90% of the arcology is still unreclaimed. The UCAS military controls the reactor complex in the basement, and they are still sifting through portions of the executive suites...but that's it. about 90% of that building remains unexplored and sealed off.

In theory, almost anything could be hidden there.

+Quote Post
Chrysalis
post Oct 31 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,048

I have a character called Sonya who lives in the other 90% of the ARC. She is a guardian in some ways, being one of the banded.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 31 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

If you'relooking at RL Seattle, the archology is where they currenlt have frontier square. lots of clubs and bars and winos and where you can get the otur for the RL underground, just a little north of the two athletic fields.

+Quote Post
Octopiii
post Nov 1 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,758

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Oct 31 2009, 03:49 PM) *
If you'relooking at RL Seattle, the archology is where they currenlt have frontier square. lots of clubs and bars and winos and where you can get the otur for the RL underground, just a little north of the two athletic fields.

Pioneer Square.

Someone plotted it on a google map, but I can't vouch for the veracity (for example, they have the Pacific Science Center located at Harvard and Mercer, despite the fact that it's located in the Seattle Center, and clearly marked as such by google). What I want to know is what happened to the stadiums? (or the Kingdome, if that was never demolished in SR continuity).

Seattle Downtown Map

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 1 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Mind, Pioneer Square is not. It's a triangle.

Also, it's a shame that the http://www.seattlemystery.com/Mystery Bookshop was moved/demolished/bought/absorbed in the construction. It's a great little store.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 1 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #19

panda!

QUOTE (Octopiii @ Nov 1 2009, 01:36 AM) *
Pioneer Square.

Someone plotted it on a google map, but I can't vouch for the veracity (for example, they have the Pacific Science Center located at Harvard and Mercer, despite the fact that it's located in the Seattle Center, and clearly marked as such by google). What I want to know is what happened to the stadiums? (or the Kingdome, if that was never demolished in SR continuity).

Seattle Downtown Map

looks about right to me, compared to the seattle sourcebook map.

seems i had underestimated the distance out into the bay earlier...

+Quote Post
Bladerunner
post Nov 1 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 17,582

Our current SR 4 game seems to be heading towards the place. I can't wait to try to crack it open.

+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 1 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 2,507

If you head to my SR site (see sig) and click on the 'Game Resources' link there is a 'Downtown Seattle' map complete with the Arcology and other places of interest.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 1 2009, 03:40 PM
Post #22

panda!

sorry to say dave, but the location of the archology seems to be a bit to far south...

its upper right corner should be right next to highway 5, and cut of 5th avenue...

+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 1 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 2,507

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 1 2009, 04:40 PM) *
sorry to say dave, but the location of the archology seems to be a bit to far south...

its upper right corner should be right next to highway 5, and cut of 5th avenue...

Godamn you are right! In all the years I've been using the map I never noticed...

Comparing it to the original Seattle Sourcebook I can see the northern edge should extend up to the Glass Onion.

+Quote Post
erik
post Nov 1 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 17,691

This is an interesting topic. It seems to me, based on the resources referenced, that there is no definitive answer. I like the map that Dave put up, because the location made more sense to me geographically. Easy access to I-5, Airport Way would go right to the Arc's front door. Of course, it means no Safeco Field, Seahawks Stadium, rerouting Hwy 99... .and who knows where the present day rail tracks would go. But if the Arc was further north, quite a few of Seattle's historic buildings would be gone (btw, Seattle's tallest skyscraper, Columbia Center... its SW corner would be just be on top of the Arc's NE foundation). I also didn't like that the Arc would be right on top on Pioneer Square and 1st. Ave. I guess I have a soft spot for those blocks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) However, it seems that address references point to the Arc being that far north into downtown proper, so maybe we can assume that Seattle's skyline and streets are radically different than it is in 2009.

The present day Seattle underground tour begins at the old Doc Maynard's Saloon on 1st and Yesler. That happens to be smack dab in the middle of the Arc, according to the published Arc address. Does that mean the Ork Underground should go underneath the ARC? Doesn't make much sense to me because the ARC has a ton of sub-floors, IIRC.

+Quote Post
Jericho Alar
post Nov 1 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,812

It does. one of the ingress points in Brainscan and Shutdown was an ork underground entrance into one of the subfloors.

I would assume initial construction collapsed portions of the old underground as they excavated and then they were built back later after construction was complete.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.