Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Concepts You Never Get to Play, Rattle them off
The Jake
post Nov 26 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

How many of you have a character you've been ITCHING to play but NEVER get the time/opportunity to do so? Been sitting on a pre-generated character that is 100% RAW legal but for one reason or another, just can't seem to catch a break? Maybe you're playing another character you love too much or have been playing too long to retire?

I'm mentally playing around with a character I've been play for awhile, but I'm wanting to play a troll with face abilities. Not necessarily a social adept but not a magician (I've played too many) but ideally someone with detective/social skills, with some hacking and combat skills. I don't have much more than an idea though really but I like the idea of turning a stereotype (ugly stupid trog) on its head.

Discuss.

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 26 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

SR1-3. The cyberpreppie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I have a Pixie Black Magician/Made Man I've always wanted to play, but just can't find a suitable game for him. He really appeals to me because the concept is just really twisted. I'm also a fan of Windling Nethermancers in Earthdawn for the same reason. Just the idea of one wearing a stylish pinstripe Berwick suit, packing a Morrissey Elan, and being as intimidating as shit while a pair of butterfly wings flutter behind him... well, it entertains me greatly.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Nov 26 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

I usually do well playing everything that I think of or want to make.

But in the spirit of sharing our favored ideas...I suppose I could say...

I've wanted to make and have played a:
- Small scrapper kid who packs a punch more than most expect, and favors street gang fighting styles, and yet is tangled in the web of running with high caliber characters.

- Gun's akimbo descendant of a Catholic IRA activist family that carries 13 firearms on his person; 12 named after an Apostle, Judas being a Flachette round weapon only, and the 13th being a Sniper Rifle that comes apart in 3 pieces (each named after a member of the holy trinity) and is loaded blindly from a mixed pile of tranq and live ammo (it's up to God, in his mind, as to whether they live or die...not him).

- A poor fellow who tripped too hard one night while watching his favorite oldy, "Matrix", and became convinced that he was actually Neo, that his Fixer was Morpheus, and that the world was really the Matrix he was trapped in. He died trying to stop bullets by holding out his hand and saying, "No".

- Retired old mercenary unwillingly pulled back in to the long haul due to an unfortunate series of events; namely his house being blown up shortly after some uninvited guests just happened to crash his place to get cover from their hunters.

- A blind and deaf martial artist who actually sucked at martial arts, but thought he was fantastic. His reputation was un-waranted, yet somehow the legend of him became larger than the reality of his work and renown seemed to continue to come to the blind and deaf phys-ad.
He was an excellent typist, however, and spent his day job as one of the more sought after, privately licensed, audio typist's. He did this by having the recorder play the sounds through a deck that translated to touch sensations by shorthand phonetic components.

Those are some of my favored that I would be longing to still play as; if I had not done so.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Nov 26 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 26 2009, 02:51 AM) *
I have a Pixie Black Magician/Made Man I've always wanted to play, but just can't find a suitable game for him. He really appeals to me because the concept is just really twisted. I'm also a fan of Windling Nethermancers in Earthdawn for the same reason. Just the idea of one wearing a stylish pinstripe Berwick suit, packing a Morrissey Elan, and being as intimidating as shit while a pair of butterfly wings flutter behind him... well, it entertains me greatly.
I'm not sure if the new rules allow it, but Classic Earthdawn did not allow Windling Nethermancers (It's a prominent racial restriction on the Nethermancer Discipline). There are multiple in-game fluffy references to support this as well, beyond the rule restrictions. This isn't to say that mechanically, you couldn't play one, but it wouldn't be allowed by RAW. So in a way, it IS a character concept you never got to play, at least in the past rulesets. *grin*

+Quote Post
Orcus Blackweath...
post Nov 26 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,433

I was expecting my Technomancer to die, and made a backup to replace him. The original must have heard that he had been replaced, and no refuses to die, despite the best (worst) efforts of his player. The replacement is a mage of Seductress specializing in the orgy spell. He hits the entire room with an orgy spell. All of the noncombatants will drop in throws of orgasm, leaving only the serious competition standing. Along with illusins and mental manipulations, he should be awesome. Throw in some face abilities for dual direction.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Nov 26 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Mongo the Power Troll, an adept with enhanced Heavy Weapons abilities and hearing who is geasaed such that he has to listen to heavy metal (including subgenres like troll thrash metal) for his abilities to work. Lives underneath a troll thrash metal club near the barrens, and has every social flaw you can get (but the metal people like him... sorta). I always wanted to try that out.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Nov 26 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Got one for D&D *sigh*
Similar concept for ShadowRun has been played, though I lament not having gotten to change to drake form.

The concept is pretty vague, but I did run into a(n amazing) flash animation that I can point to and got "that."

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/396167

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 26 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Too many . . i had too many character ideas once, and i built them all for SR3, i got to play about 1% of my complete stash of SR3 characters . .

+Quote Post
Zak
post Nov 26 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,891

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 26 2009, 12:12 PM) *
Too many . . i had too many character ideas once, and i built them all for SR3, i got to play about 1% of my complete stash of SR3 characters . .

How many of those aren't big nasty Trolls?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I still want to play that completly cybered char, but I just can't get it to work properly statwise for a starting game. (and at cons I usually just get a weird look and have to play another char)

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 26 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

The neotenic dwarf who dyed his skin blue, made his feet and nose bigger and added a small spheric tail and walks around wearing white pants (with shoes) and a white phrygian cap.
You could even have an entire team: the leader would have red clothes (probably a mage too), the streetsamurai would have a heart tattoed on his arm, the rigger would be in coveralls with a pen behind his ear...

The cyberskating/skimmering centaur.

+Quote Post
ShadowPavement
post Nov 26 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,431

QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 26 2009, 11:50 AM) *
The neotenic dwarf who dyed his skin blue, made his feet and nose bigger and added a small spheric tail and walks around wearing white pants (with shoes) and a white phrygian cap.

Ouch. I just hope my wife doesn't see this post, or she might start getting ideas.

I've always wanted to play an ork swordsman physad.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 26 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Zak @ Nov 26 2009, 12:42 PM) *
How many of those aren't big nasty Trolls?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

about half i think.

+Quote Post
EvilP
post Nov 26 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 10,024

I've been thinking all day of creating a VERY villainous social adept with the geas that his powers don't work unless he has a white cat with him. He may even be infirm meaning that he moves around in some sort of one-man vehicle with a leather seat all the time, laughing as his plans come together and minions compete for his favour.

Also the 'cat' is actually a very realistic emotitoy with a commlink built into it. He must either pet the cat or speak to it for it to work since it only uses a skinlink and voice commands - "Get back in my lap this very instant Miss White!"

--

Another character concept I was considering was a type of rogue super doctor with incredible logic and med/bio/cyber skills, but then I found out that he wouldn't really be able to create his own biotech and nanoware without a facility or something. His only combat skill would be Exotic Weapons (Laser) with specialization in pistols, an elegant and sophisticated weapon for a man who can appreciate a cauterized wound.

+Quote Post
kanislatrans
post Nov 26 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: The corner of Detonation Boulevard and Fascination Street
Member No.: 14,464

lately, I have been playing around with a phys ad based on Lone wolf Mcquade complete with a cybered german shepard...doubt ill ever get to play him. had a technomancer who thought he was "the disco king" named Diamond Dave that got shot down by the GM. I even memorized all of the lyrics to "Brickhouse" " Boogie shoes" and "Saturday night fever" so I could add a little flavor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

I'm a Chargen Junkie an tend to put together 1 or 2 characters a week just for shits and giggles so I have probably 100+ charcters that i will never play.
a
If I had one Character I would love to play in a one shot.(cause she is in no way legal) It would be Echo, and elven cyber monster NPC, The concept was just how much cyber/bio can you cram into a character if you had infinite resources. she has 10 million worth of implants. (including a kilo of C12 and a large vessel of VITAS X) the idea was "what if a group within the ucas gov planned on returning the U.S.A to its former glory by creating super soldiers who would ifiltrate various cities and explode, spreading disease so that the " star chamber could rise to power.

+Quote Post
remmus
post Nov 26 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,145

been playing around with the idea of a gunslinger adept, basicly what would happend if you took a cowboy and put him in a Asian gun ho action movie and add the cocky, confidents of a typical anime character.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Nov 26 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

Possession based free spirit. Only problem is that with a BP system it is too weak to do anything, and with karmagen is too powerful to really fit in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Going to work on it using a modified karmagen system and see what I can come up with, then I still need to get a GM to agree to such an odd character.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 26 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

I had concept of the mind thief from previous edition that I never got to use. Influence spells and possession meta magic. Player possession meta magic now gone it seems.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Nov 26 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Jim & Tim Possible
As Adults(Twens) and Ki-Ads with a special Ki-Power "Simultaneous Move"
I played them only once or twice,their Runner Names are Mirror & Image

with a Twindance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Nov 26 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #20

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

A burned out Parrot Shapeshifter turned Technomancer.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Nov 26 2009, 08:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

This is what comes from watching way too much shoujo anime. She'll come off at first, at least, to the other players/PCs as a quiet, moody gillette ganger, with little fear of anything, and a mysterious <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakotoba#Flowers_and_their_meanings">lotus</a href> tattoo over her heart ("far from the one s/he loves" being the intended meaning). In truth, and this will be revealed whenever somebody figures it out or at a dramatically appropriate moment, her co-ganger girlfriend is in jail for a lengthy term, and she's running in the desperate hope of getting her back out. That desperation is what makes her fight with such recklessness; she'd rather go out with a bang than never see her again. I'm also toying with the idea of having something bad have happened to the rest of her gang (a syndicate, the Star, maybe a betrayal from inside?), but angst is best at just the right level and there's definitely such a thing as too much. Regardless, her character comes out as sort of a mix of Juri Arisugawa, Spike Spiegel and Molly Millions.

And yes, maybe it smells like Mary Sueism, but my group would eat this right up if I ever got to do something besides GM.

+Quote Post
Johnny B. Good
post Nov 26 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,876

I always wanted to play my D&D mute schizophrenic gnome who had magical hallucinations and devoted his life to Golem mastery, but alas it was not meant to be.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 26 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

I'd always wanted to play a Nartaki bartender adept. Bartending's the dayjob - he's an double ambidextrous six gun six-shooting sammy when he's off the clock. Plays a mean piano too.

Willpower ten dwarf technomancer. The only way to get ten, is to take a permanent braveheart infusion - which makes this character very very forgetful. Short, grumpy, amnesiac and can hack your brain. Likes to dumpshock everyone and everything, cuz it doesn't affect him

+Quote Post
IceKatze
post Nov 26 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,788

hi hi

I've always wanted to play an awakened critter who had its brain transplanted into a metahuman form full cyberbody.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 27 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Well, there's Screech . . Basically, i went all out on Ear and Voice Cyber on that one . . and some Eye-stuff too.
Built in some Speakers too. So he could route his voice through those Speakers and talk without moving the mouth.
Or he could talk while moving his mouth NOT IN SYNCHRONIZATION WITH HIS VERY OWN WORDS. Idea for further improvement was to use all of this and modify it so he could, with his voice-cyber, re-create the effects of the ares screech sonic rifle. I was, in no uncertain terms, told never to play this one.
And i have Blurr too . . Basically, i went all out on Ruthenium and image scanner. Built in, Built into clothin. Also Shifting Eye and Hair-Colour.
As close to a chameleon as possible using SR3 Stuff. And then i made it so he appeared blurry to everybody looking at him. Yes, i was told never to play this one too.

And i have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots more of such character ideas on my HDD ^^

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.