> Die fielding
Darksyde
post Jan 29 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,876

Hi.

I've been reading slowly through the 20th Anv core book and I've been wondering about the D6's. Has anyone played with switching to D10's?

Do you think it would change up anything other than the overall odds of success?

If you have, how did it go?

Thanks for taking a look.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jan 29 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

I haven't tried it, but so long as you only made the change for tests (i.e. 2D6+2 for a virtual contact's connection rating would not change) then you should be fine. There's no need for the set of outcomes on each die and the standard range of ratings (1-6 in both cases for RAW) to be the same.

Another consideration is how many D10s you own and what you'd do with all those D6s. (If your first instinct is to go back to Games Workshop then have a friend throw them at you one by one VERY hard! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Jan 29 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jan 29 2010, 08:40 AM) *
Another consideration is how many D10s you own and what you'd do with all those D6s. (If your first instinct is to go back to Games Workshop then have a friend throw them at you one by one VERY hard! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

It sounds like the OP may have had an origin from V:tM. Since d10 is the prevalent die, the players probably have a decent stockpile of d10s lying around.

For checks I would say....

1 = Glitch
3-7 = No result
8-10 = Success

2 can be a glitch if you want to up the risk a bit.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jan 29 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 29 2010, 08:19 AM) *
For checks I would say....

1 = Glitch
3-7 = No result
8-10 = Success

2 can be a glitch if you want to up the risk a bit.

Yeah, that gets you fairly close. You have about a 3.3% lower chance of success on any given die, but you trade it off for a 6.7% lower chance of a glitch on any given die.... Actually given how rare glitches are, you may want to up it to 1-2 which only increases the chance on any given die by about 3.3%

Otherwise yeah, should work just fine if you confine the change exclusively to success tests and not any of the other times they tell you to use a d6.

Oh, you might want to consider reducing the threshold of extended tests by about... 1 per 6 or so of the original threshold. You may consider dropping the extreme difficulty threshold down from 5 to 4 as well. In opposed tests it really doesn't matter much because both people are affected by the reduced odds. It does favor the person with a lower DP ever so slightly, but it is really fairly negligible.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 29 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

By using d10s, all you've really done is started using White Wolf's system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Jan 29 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 29 2010, 10:11 AM) *
By using d10s, all you've really done is started using White Wolf's system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

TL;DR

White Wolf and Shadowrun are basically the same, except for setting and using d6s vs d10s?

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jan 29 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Except you're slightly less screwed in Shadowrun. The universe isn't really out to get you.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 29 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Jan 29 2010, 09:46 AM) *
White Wolf and Shadowrun are basically the same, except for setting and using d6s vs d10s?

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 29 2010, 10:14 AM) *
Except you're slightly less screwed in Shadowrun. The universe isn't really out to get you.

From what I know*:

Pretty much.

*I've played a one-shot mortals and participated in the end of a mage game. But I've heard countless stories.

+Quote Post
Darksyde
post Jan 29 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Target

Thank you guys for the input!

+Quote Post
Rystefn
post Jan 29 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,067

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 29 2010, 03:14 PM) *

...I think you're doing it wrong, then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Kovu Muphasa
post Jan 29 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,394

QUOTE (Darksyde @ Jan 29 2010, 06:52 AM) *
Hi.

I've been reading slowly through the 20th Anv core book and I've been wondering about the D6's. Has anyone played with switching to D10's?

Do you think it would change up anything other than the overall odds of success?

If you have, how did it go?

Thanks for taking a look.

The question I have [This is my standard question to All House Rules] What would be the reason of this change?

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jan 29 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 29 2010, 12:14 PM) *

Really? I thinking I'm playing it wrong then... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 29 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Nah, the Universe isn't out to get you. It already has you. It's just making your life a little more miserable than usual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 29 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 29 2010, 04:34 PM) *
Nah, the Universe isn't out to get you. It already has you. It's just making your life a little more miserable than usual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You had no chance.

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jan 30 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 29 2010, 10:34 PM) *

In White Wolf games, it really does hate you. For example: Vampires get screwed by pretty much everything. The world hates them. Werewolves? The spirit world hates them. You know, the things that inhabit everything, it being an animistic world? Mages? Well, EVERYTHING hates them. The universe, the things outside the universe looking to eat the universe, the things in the "true" reality, the things below the universe that want to turn it into a new form of hell. And the others that I don't know much about. In Shadowrun, everyone is just out for themselves. THe universe doesn't hate you at all, it just doesn't give a damn.

Well, sort of. I suppose you could look at the mana cycle as the universe doing the "wind up middle finger" trick, with the wind up taking 2500 years until the peak of the cycle when "bing" the middle finger pops up and the horrors appear.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 30 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 30 2010, 11:28 AM) *
In White Wolf games, it really does hate you. For example: Vampires get screwed by pretty much everything. The world hates them. Werewolves? The spirit world hates them. You know, the things that inhabit everything, it being an animistic world? Mages? Well, EVERYTHING hates them. The universe, the things outside the universe looking to eat the universe, the things in the "true" reality, the things below the universe that want to turn it into a new form of hell. And the others that I don't know much about. In Shadowrun, everyone is just out for themselves. THe universe doesn't hate you at all, it just doesn't give a damn.

Well, sort of. I suppose you could look at the mana cycle as the universe doing the "wind up middle finger" trick, with the wind up taking 2500 years until the peak of the cycle when "bing" the middle finger pops up and the horrors appear.

Actually I think in Shadowrun, the universe hates everyone, she's a equal opportunity mother-em, well, not really but you get the point.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 30 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 29 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Actually I think in Shadowrun, the universe hates everyone, she's a equal opportunity mother-em, well, not really but you get the point.

Right, the Universe isn't out to get you, its out to get everyone, there's a slight difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Darksyde
post Jan 30 2010, 05:06 AM
Post #18

Target

QUOTE (Kovu Muphasa @ Jan 29 2010, 02:34 PM) *
The question I have [This is my standard question to All House Rules] What would be the reason of this change?

I am not the biggest fan of 'gritty' systems to be honest. Usually to make things a little less down and dirty you lower the difficulty. In the case of SR if you lower the target number you lower it to a 50/50 chance. I have a lot of experience with Exalted and already know I like the odds with 7+. They feel about right for my story heroes, though I may just be my familiarity with the system.

So I thought I'd through the change in die type out there and see what other people might think and/or if any had tried it themselves. I still don't know if I'll go with this change but I hoped for some input from other people that play the game.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jan 30 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 30 2010, 01:27 AM) *
Right, the Universe isn't out to get you, its out to get everyone, there's a slight difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif) Well, at least the Universe is fair...

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jan 30 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Darksyde @ Jan 30 2010, 12:06 AM) *
I am not the biggest fan of 'gritty' systems to be honest. Usually to make things a little less down and dirty you lower the difficulty. In the case of SR if you lower the target number you lower it to a 50/50 chance. I have a lot of experience with Exalted and already know I like the odds with 7+. They feel about right for my story heroes, though I may just be my familiarity with the system.

So I thought I'd through the change in die type out there and see what other people might think and/or if any had tried it themselves. I still don't know if I'll go with this change but I hoped for some input from other people that play the game.

So what you're doing is increasing the chance of success by about 7%

The truth is this isn't going to really affect the game much. Extended tests will be easier, tests against set thresholds will be easier, and whoever has the bigger DP in opposed tests is going to have a slight advantage. I don't see this making the game any less 'gritty', as you could easily just lower thresholds by 1 or so to achieve the first part and the second part actually means it'll be more 'gritty' if the PCs are ever outmatched in DPs (Which is admittedly rare I think)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jan 30 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 29 2010, 08:28 PM) *

Actaully... In White WOlf is a HORROR Genre, and Shadowrun is a Dystopian Cyberpunk Genre (with Magic of course)... so the tropes are really vary far apart... If Shadowrun was about HORROR, then it would be more in Line with White Wolf...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.