Kovu Muphasa
post Feb 4 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,394

Untrained Magician

Number of Spells

I have a player who want to play a Mystic Adept, he want to start with the Adept Powers, but he wants to learn his Spells later for Fluff reasons. He is not starting with the Spellcasting Skill. I am using the Priority System for this campaign.

The Question is: Does he get his his Spells for free or does he have to pay the Karma for them when he starts to actively Casting Spells.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 4 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

The maximum number of spells you can know is Spellcasting*2. If the character's Spellcasting is 0, I'd say they get 0 spells.

He would spend Karma for learning them later, instead of paying BP for them at chargen.

Edit: My response was for SR4. If doing SR3, you can dole out the spells he would normally get slowly as he gains his spellcasting ability. (Sorcery skill if I recall correctly.)

+Quote Post
Kovu Muphasa
post Feb 4 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 4 2010, 02:27 PM) *
The maximum number of spells you can know is Spellcasting*2. If the character's Spellcasting is 0, I'd say they get 0 spells.

He would spend Karma for learning them later, instead of paying BP for them at chargen.

Edit: My response was for SR4. If doing SR3, you can dole out the spells he would normally get slowly as he gains his spellcasting ability. (Sorcery skill if I recall correctly.)

Thanks
Actuly this is for SR4 I am using the optial rules from Runners Companion.
-It says to Take Magition and If you wish to take a mystic adept instead of an adept or a magician, simply choose a Talent Priority that
grants the Magician quality, take one additional spell, and follow the rules for mystic adepts from there.
-It also says that If you choose a magician, your character may start with the number of spells listed for the Priority taken.
Does this overide the Spellcasting X2 limit on starting Spells?

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Feb 4 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

I advise not using Priority. It sucks. A lot.

+Quote Post
Kovu Muphasa
post Feb 4 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

I am using this for old Dark Conspiracy / Twilight: 2000 / MERC: 2000 / World of Darkness game.
The Priority System makes it simple to handle thing like Vampires / Werewolves / Mages and Immortals; all of them are Priority A
I also change the Attribute Numbers a little to increase them a hair.

A 24
B 21
C 18
D 15
E 12

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 4 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

If you are using the optional rules in RC, you will need to make a judgment call. The rules do not expressly allow a character to bypass the normal maximums at character generation of 2*Spellcasting, they just provide a cap on the absolute maximum of spells taken.

I will standfast by my earlier recommendation of paying karma to learn spells as they learn Spellcasting.

+Quote Post
Omenowl
post Feb 5 2010, 03:25 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,167

Let him learn the spells. It is not like he is going to be casting high force spells with frequency and he still takes 1 die penalty for not being trained. Otherwise you could figure for every 3 spells he should get 1 extra attribute, or 2 skills.

Priority system ignores the 2x spellcasting limit. The is for the build point system only.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 5 2010, 10:17 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Omenowl @ Feb 5 2010, 03:25 AM) *
... he still takes 1 die penalty for not being trained.

Can't use Spellcasting untrained.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.