IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick Question: Recoil, Is recoil cumulative?
10gauge
post Feb 13 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 12,510

Let's say I have 1 IP and fire a SA pistol. Second shot gives a -1 recoil penalty. Is this cumulative and will result in a -2 penalty for the first shot of the next turn?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Axl
post Feb 13 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,767

No. It refreshes on each new initiative pass.

+Quote Post
10gauge
post Feb 13 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,510

Ok. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Feb 13 2010, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

Mind you, not every combat turn, every initiative pass.

Also recoil is cumulative yes. But the actual mod is based on the number of bullets fired that pass -1. That's where those numbers on the chart come from.

First short burst 3 bullets -1 == 2 recoil.
Second short burst in pass. 6 bullets -1 == 5 recoil total.

It only gets complicated when you get people dual-wielding pistols and the like.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Feb 13 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

This gets ridiculous when carried to the logical extreme: One of my PC's is a troll adept with ambidexterity. He dual-wields high-velocity assault rifles, and he takes no recoil thanks to a mix of high strength, RC in the guns, and the recoil being split between 2 weapons. 2 long bursts a pass. Think about it O.o

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Feb 13 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 12 2010, 09:43 PM) *
This gets ridiculous when carried to the logical extreme: One of my PC's is a troll adept with ambidexterity. He dual-wields high-velocity assault rifles, and he takes no recoil thanks to a mix of high strength, RC in the guns, and the recoil being split between 2 weapons. 2 long bursts a pass. Think about it O.o

I was under the impression that rifles could be fired one-handed at a penalty, but I thought that they couldn't be (officially) dual wielded.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 13 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Trolls can with... (-2 i think?)

Orks not. But hell, if he is a tough dude with a crapload of strength and body... i would allow it, no racism (metaspeciaism?) in my games *g*

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 13 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

so... have more than 3 targets for him... he's gona run out of ammo. Drones also make good opponents, and heck if he's tossing that much power maybe toss in a few armored vehicles and a few dudes with gunnery on heavy machine guns.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 13 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #9

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Feb 12 2010, 05:54 PM) *
Trolls can with...
Is there a canon reference for this? Arsenal maybe? The rules for dual wielding in the BBB are pretty explicit- pistols and SMGs only.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 13 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Phew... let me look for it... hmmm. lets see...

EDIT: Ah there it is. Hm... i am of course a bit wrong. It is mentioned on Arsenal page 162 that a character can use a bigger weapon in one hand with -2 (-1 for trolls) This does not mention the use of two big weapons at the same time, sady... but since it is insane and cool i would be ok with that.

Second edit: What sick man wrote the entries for small target in firefights (page 161) anyway. Babies and Toddlers... HOLY... hehehe

+Quote Post
wind_in_the_ston...
post Feb 13 2010, 03:44 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,332

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Feb 12 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Phew... let me look for it... hmmm. lets see...

EDIT: Ah there it is. Hm... i am of course a bit wrong. It is mentioned on Arsenal page 162 that a character can use a bigger weapon in one hand with -2 (-1 for trolls) This does not mention the use of two big weapons at the same time, sady... but since it is insane and cool i would be ok with that.

Second edit: What sick man wrote the entries for small target in firefights (page 161) anyway. Babies and Toddlers... HOLY... hehehe

I wondered if you left your reality filter on again, but sure enough, it's there. Wow.

As far as I'm concerned, if it can be fired with one hand, it can be dual wielded.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 13 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #12

Street Doc

Hmmm. I definitely would not allow it. Firing a rifle one handed is possible, but its not effective. Dual wielding two rifles is just silly. Then again, so is using two handguns at the same time...

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 13 2010, 04:02 AM
Post #13

Running Target

hmm...:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4nfZu8VqgQ

point is: You CAN do it... hitting stuff (or walking while doing it) is another point... also: MAGIC... and Trolls. If something weighs in at over 250 Kg and is about three to four times stronger than a highly trained man... let him have it. (I mean in a good way)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 13 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Method @ Feb 12 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Hmmm. I definitely would not allow it. Firing a rifle one handed is possible, but its not effective. Dual wielding two rifles is just silly. Then again, so is using two handguns at the same time...

Ahhhhh... But firing two pistols at the same time (ala the Replacement Killers) is pretty cool looking indeed...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 13 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Feb 12 2010, 11:02 PM) *
If something weighs in at over 250 Kg and is about three to four times stronger than a highly trained man... let him have it.

How many guns can a troll wield at the same time?

As many as he wants to (are you going to tell him he can't?)

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 13 2010, 05:14 AM
Post #16

Street Doc

Oh yeah, there's lots of magical stuff in SR that doesn't exist in RL... like game balance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I know dual wielding pistols looks cool. And I can suspend my disbelief enough to stomach it. I'll even admit I've built me a gunslinger adept or two. I'm just saying that dual wielding pistols is not combat effective IRL and dual wielding rifles is just more than I can bear. Just my opinion (although I would point out that strictly speaking the RAW does not allow it either).

+Quote Post
Dragnar
post Feb 13 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,638

The ranged combat rules aren't realistic in the least anyways, so there's not much reason to debate wether firing two rifles at the same time is possible IRL.
Hey, in the real world no one would use even a perfectly normal pistol one-handed, if he can help it, because you cripple effective range and firing speed, yet there's nothing stopping you in SR.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Feb 13 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #18

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Method @ Feb 12 2010, 10:55 PM) *

Whaddya mean? Works just fine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 13 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Feb 13 2010, 12:21 AM) *

Followed up by this this, this and this.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 13 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #20

Street Doc

Funny... they never seem to show the target? Oh wait... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Patrick the Gnom...
post Feb 13 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,863

Sorry to get on topic here, but since when does recoil stack for the second shot in an initiative pass? Recoil rules are clear that the second shot from the same gun in an IP gets exactly 1 extra recoil, regardless of what kind of burst you're firing or have fired before. So firing 2 short bursts in an IP means -2 recoil for the first shot and -3 recoil for the second, firing a short burst and then a long gives you a recoil of -6 for the long burst, firing a long burst and then a short burst gives you -3 for the short burst. If I'm wrong here please tell me because that interpretation seems rather different from the one I've been using.

Uncompensated recoil on duel wielding does stack, which sucks. Wielding 2 pistols with -1 uncompensated recoil each does indeed give you a -2 to firing both, after the dice pool has been split. So make sure the weapons you're duel wielding have full recoil comp or ouch.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 13 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 13 2010, 01:01 AM) *
Uncompensated recoil on duel wielding does stack, which sucks. Wielding 2 pistols with -1 uncompensated recoil each does indeed give you a -2 to firing both, after the dice pool has been split. So make sure the weapons you're duel wielding have full recoil comp or ouch.

Which i swhy 4 (or 6!) armed gun adepts are terrible.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Feb 13 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #23

Running Target

I found them very viable... They just have to be really good, and the target shouldn't have much armor (if it is above the "golden line" of Weapon damage, there is a problem)... but then they can take a lot of things apart.

Let us just assume the shooter has two arms, two semi-automatic guns (loaded with apds or something), and recoil mods: customized grip and internal compensation 1, for free shooting without any penalties. He has Agility 7, skill 6 and a bonus die from somewhere... lets say a reflex recorder. He also has a specialization of course and the ambidexterity-quality:

his attack is now: 10/9 +10/9 dice. Not THAT much but very competent BUT the idea is is to get the reaction-dice of the target down. Say the defender is on full defense and has reaction 6 and dodge 5 =11 dice. That means he has 11/10/9/8 dice against this attack chain. It slowly degrades as the attack stays constant. If he got hit in one of the first attacks it is further reduced to the wound modifier and the "possible damage" is of course way beyond the damage of a single weapon.

And if you have a enemy where you need concentrated fire to get through the armor or where the situational penalties are higher than your prospective needed damage + reaction panalties to the enemy are higher: just use one gun and get the benefits of aiming/laserpointer/smartgun etc..

Point is: use it against less or same skilled oponents in close quarters, or against horrible bad people in large numbers. (the -2 for a new target put a dent in your ability to murder them).

The whole "going dual" only costs you maybe 5 BP and has the same build as other gunslingers. Carrying a second gun is cheap and under the right circumstances it is beneficial. (Also you can use it without reloading, which is good for example to use 2 Steyr- TMPs for 2 rounds of suppressive fire and still have 10 bullets in each of them - even without enhanced clips, Or to fire 2 Single-Shot revolvers with full dicepool each)

Back to the recoil: The only thing i really have problems with is the double uncompensated recoil for heavy weapons AND shotguns. It is a bit shoehorned in there, was in 3rd already. My point is that the effect is HUGE if you don't have some forms of combined recoilcompensation... and on high-velocity weapons it is so high that nothing can help you fire it without mounting it on a hardpoint. (I know that is the idea of it) I would like having it more gradualy. By having most heavy weapon have a internal recoil system compatible with all others, because of design, maybe 4-5 points, but somehow still have a slight recoil left, even if fully modded.

Ah well, it works good enough i guess.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Feb 13 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

QUOTE (Patrick the Gnome @ Feb 13 2010, 01:01 AM) *
Sorry to get on topic here, but since when does recoil stack for the second shot in an initiative pass? Recoil rules are clear that the second shot from the same gun in an IP gets exactly 1 extra recoil, regardless of what kind of burst you're firing or have fired before. So firing 2 short bursts in an IP means -2 recoil for the first shot and -3 recoil for the second, firing a short burst and then a long gives you a recoil of -6 for the long burst, firing a long burst and then a short burst gives you -3 for the short burst. If I'm wrong here please tell me because that interpretation seems rather different from the one I've been using.

Page 152 SR4a... "Weapons that fire more than one round IN AN ACTION PHASE suffer from an ESCALATING recoil modifier as the rounds leave the barrel"
Page 153 SR4a... "The first burst fired in AN ACTION PHASE inflicts a -2 recoil modifier, the second inflicts AN ADDITIONAL -3 recoil..."

Devs have stated directly in the past that recoil is CUMULATIVE across an initiative pass, or action phase... (why they do the switch up on terms is beyond me). Why they also didn't do something simple like say, recoil is number of bullets fired that pass -1. Sometimes I think they like to hear themselves speak/type. The devs have stated that the chart is based directly on that bullet count formula in the past.

EG: if I fire a long burst... that's -5 recoil (6bullets -1), if I then switch the gun to short bursts, and fire again, that's -3 ADDITIONAL. (9 bullets -1 == 8 cumulative).
EG: If I go john woo w/ 2 uncompensated pistols. Firing 2 shots in a single pass means -1 recoil (2 shots -1) on EACH pistol for the first simple action. Firing again nets -3 recoil (4shots -1) on each. (4 bullets total, no recoil comp). If I add 1point of RC to each pistol... now it's no mod for first shot (2 -1 -1RC), and -1 recoil penalty on both shots in second action (4-1-2RC).

It's not -5 for the first, and then -3 for the second as you seem to suggest. Nor is it -2 for short burst, then -3 for second, it's an additional -3 for -5 total.

Edit: Houserulewise... If it was me... I'd give MG's & HW no double recoil penalty... They're designed from the get go to be big, unwieldy, and not to suffer excessive recoil from automatic fire.
However shotguns and 'small arms' I'd sock w/ the double recoil penalty for burst fire. Then give a special to SMG's & machine pistols that if they're used 2-handed they only get single penalty so they have a niche advantage over assault rifles.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Feb 13 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 16,558

The way I read it, if you're firing your weapons with separate actions (for example, a simple long burst with 1 SMG and a simple short burst with the other), the recoil is tracked separately per weapon. Can anyone cite to the contrary?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.