Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Essence Holes, Not as Dirty as You'd Think
CollateralDynamo
post Feb 16 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,864

Hey DS, there's something I've been thinking about that isn't adequately allowed for in the rules (at least in my perception).

We all know that when you get cyberware (or bioware, or whatever) taken out of you, you do not get the essence cost back. Instead you just get an "essence hole" that you can fill up with other goodies. Essentially this is a mechanic so that you can get your old crummy 'ware pulled and put in that super-sweet deltaware you can finally afford.

However, it seems to me that there would be a fair number of people (especially the down on their luck kind of people that are running the shadows) who have had some 'ware pulled out but never got around to getting it replaced. So, I was thinking there should be a nice cheap disadvantage you can buy to reflect an essence hole. I was thinking something like:

Essence Hole (+5 BP)
Your character used to have substantially more 'ware in them, but for whatever reason it was removed. Perhaps you served a large organization and were given experimental 'ware that was pulled out after you were re-assigned. Or maybe you just never could afford the replacement Wired Reflexes after your other ones got a little twitchy. Either way, your character suffers an additional 2 points of essence loss that cannot be filled during character creation (note that your essence cannot be reduced beyond 0.01). After character creation, any 'ware purchased will fill up this essence hole before affecting your essence score.

This seems balanced to me because it is an interesting bit of flavor (especially when combined with existing advantages/disadvantages) and the penalty still applies because it limits the amount of cyber you can get at creation and also makes magically healing go less then optimally for you.

Well DSers, what do you think? Feel free to tear me to shreds, I can take it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 16 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

This is about as much a "Quality" as Born Rich or Restricted Gear.

+Quote Post
CollateralDynamo
post Feb 16 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,864

So you're saying its a freebie? That is one of my concerns, might be too good for its cost.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 16 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

It is interesting Fluff Wise... and is a pretty severe disadvantage (-2 Essence... Wow) for just about any 'Runner in my opinion... I do not see anything wrong with it myself...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Surukai
post Feb 16 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,046

I think it adds a bit of flavor, the "benefit" of this quality is not overpowered in my eyes. New cyberware is hard to get and to start with less effective healing and health spells together with increased weakness to HMHVV makes it look quite balanced. I like it.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Feb 16 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (CollateralDynamo @ Feb 16 2010, 09:13 PM) *
So you're saying its a freebie?

I'm saying this is the same kind of Can o' Worms - just worse, like In Debt.

You'll have people swarming around telling you the character can't use that essence hole until he paid the karma to buy off the quality.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 16 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #7

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

At first glance, it looks to me as if this could allow a player who plans for his PC to have implants anyway to build up expensive things like an Attribute or a Skill with BP and get the gear later when money comes from some runs. The net result may be a cheaper way to get to point B from point A. Does this make sense?

The fluff aspect is perfectly sensible to me. I have one PC who defected from her corporation into the shadows to avoid the 'repo'.

+Quote Post
McCummhail
post Feb 16 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,452

If the intent is to effectively trade essence for starting BP,
then this is underpowered if anything.
Just considering the essence cost alone this is expensive.
Factor in that qualities are also finite and the cost goes up again (albeit slightly).

On the other hand, in a game with little to no magic,
this might not ever become an issue.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Feb 16 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Feb 16 2010, 05:00 PM) *
If the intent is to effectively trade essence for starting BP,
then this is underpowered if anything.
Just considering the essence cost alone this is expensive.
Factor in that qualities are also finite and the cost goes up again (albeit slightly).

On the other hand, in a game with little to no magic,
this might not ever become an issue.

Essence matters even in a world with little magic. Any First Aid checks made to heal an injury take a -1 penalty for every 2 points of essence lost.

Not a huge difference, but it matters.

+Quote Post
Surukai
post Feb 16 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 16 2010, 10:40 PM) *
... The net result may be a cheaper way to get to point B from point A. Does this make sense?

Isn't that the case for a majority of all qualities? A player who knows what qualities to take and how to only minmax stats and skills will get to B for a considerably lower price. 50 BP gets you Logic 6 and intuition 1 or logic 3 and intuition 3. To raise those to Logic 6 and intuition 3 costs 25 karma for the first character but a massive 75 karma for the second despite same end result and same starting cost...

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 17 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #11

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Surukai @ Feb 16 2010, 04:22 PM) *
Isn't that the case for a majority of all qualities?
Could be.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 17 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Surukai @ Feb 16 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Isn't that the case for a majority of all qualities? A player who knows what qualities to take and how to only minmax stats and skills will get to B for a considerably lower price. 50 BP gets you Logic 6 and intuition 1 or logic 3 and intuition 3. To raise those to Logic 6 and intuition 3 costs 25 karma for the first character but a massive 75 karma for the second despite same end result and same starting cost...

Actually, 50BP would get you Logic 4 and Intuition 3, so it's 25 Karma vs 55 Karma, but your point remains valid.

Think of it in these terms though – the first guy, although being a super-logician, is walking around with an Intuition of 1. That's almost no use at all and in the case of defaulting it IS of no use at all. The second guy, meanwhile, can be expected to accomplish things with either stat making him more versatile and more prepared for unexpected tests. It will take more than a couple of runs to get 25 Karma so even if you have nothing better to spend it on you're walking around for a good while with an almost null stat.

+Quote Post
Surukai
post Feb 17 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

To default with 0 or 2 dice is rarely a big deal and you get intuition 2 for just 10 karma already but nevermind that since the solution to that (for those that care) is karmagen that exist in raw ^.^

My point was mainly to point out that most qualities are simple "You get better at X but in a cheaper way" and that they indeed can be quite boring.

The negative quality Enemy or positive quality Juryrigger gives new ways your character works and opens for new interesting plot ideas while Sensitive System on a shapeshifter has no effect at all or Impared Attribute (Strength) that is just more free BP since no character concept have any use for maxed strength or why not Incompetence (Pilot Aerospace or other obscure skill never used) that are just more BP for virtually no negative effect.

I'm not just thinking of balance stuff here but also uniqueness of characters with interesting Nemesis, quirky behaviour or a special talent for picking up young boys at bars that makes them so much more memorable than the boring "Aptitude (Killing)", "Focused Concentration for drainfree magicspam", "Metagenetic improvement"-changelings over the cute animal looking ones and so on.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.