IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 LE Previews Available, It's ALIVE!!!
BishopMcQ
post Feb 18 2010, 02:12 AM
Post #1

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

It has been a long road, but the Limited Edition version of Shadowrun’s 20th Anniversary core book is currently being shipped across the ocean, and the sample copies have arrived in our Seattle office. We’ve been mum about the exact features of this title, but now it’s time to show it off:

A black, leather bound hardcover with silver imprinting, each book is numbered for the limited printing. The LE comes with a full-color heavyweight slipcase, two bookmarks and an 11”x34” double-sided poster of the Seattle skyline—one side blue, the other red.

We will be posting a street date in the next few weeks, when the books arrive in our warehouse and we can finalize that date.

If you have already pre-ordered this book: sit tight, and we will ship it to you from our Seattle location as soon as possible.

If you want to buy this book at your local game store, please give them a call and let them know you want a copy. The stock number is CAT2600LE and you can give them the following sell sheet (or a link to it): SR4A Limited Edition

If you want to pre-order this book from us: You can do so in the following configurations:

Pre-Order through BattleShop
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Feb 18 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

At last! My patience is rewarded! Now I just need to buy a regular SR4A, because my LE is definitely going to be a shelf copy.

OK, I'll take it to one session so I can lord it over the other guys, but then it's going on a shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Feb 19 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

It's possible to check if you still have a pre-order with BattleShop for it, yes?

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Feb 19 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Runner

Yep. Log into your Battlecorps.com account, and your preorder should show up in your order history as pending. Mine does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 19 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 18 2010, 03:12 AM) *
two bookmarks

How many cookies would it cost to make that a standard feature in all future books? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 19 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #6

The back-up plan

57 gazillion. Of course, coffee works much better for me than cookies do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
GreyBrother
post Feb 20 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,162

Goddamnit... 30+$ shipping... you guys are killing me.

When will amazon get it *grumble*

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Feb 21 2010, 03:04 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Feb 20 2010, 10:39 AM) *
Goddamnit... 30+$ shipping... you guys are killing me.

When will amazon get it *grumble*

Never....CGL has said time and again they do not deal with Amazon.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 21 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #9

The back-up plan

CGL does not sell directly to retailers, that's what our distributors do. We have seen before that a distributor sells to Amazon (despite our instructions), so it is possible they will get them. That said, we do not have any control over those sales.

Edit: BN.com seems to have a slightly higher stock level than Amazon at the moment. However as before, we don't control any of the outside sales, so there are no promises of whether they will get the LE in stock.

+Quote Post
Keats
post Feb 21 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 18,187

Any guesses when it will be available in stores?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 21 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #11

The back-up plan

As a policy, we don't issue Street Dates until the books are in the warehouse and ready to fulfill orders.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Feb 22 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #12

Runner

Just out of curiosity, how come CGL won't deal with Amazon?

+Quote Post
W@geMage
post Feb 22 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 13,227

Just to make sure I don't screw this up.

How do I get my local gaming store to order this, they don't usually stock Shadowrun stuff. (It's in Europe)
Who do I refer them to, or would it be better if I order through Battleshop, etc ...

Thanks,
WM

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 22 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Battleshop is probably your best choice, but don't scream when you see the horrible shipping costs...

+Quote Post
Keats
post Feb 22 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 18,187

I think there was a sell-sheet in the announcement. You can probably just print that and take it to them. That way they can order it.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Feb 22 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 22 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Battleshop is probably your best choice, but don't scream when you see the horrible shipping costs...

And remember that anything that gets shipped from outside the EU will get slammed with a huge handling fee (ca. £15/DKK175 IRRC), then they add VAT on top of the cost of your goods (incl. shipping and handling fee).

When I bought my LE 4, I could have saved around DKK100/£10 by ordering directly from my FLGS.

This time I have ordered locally.

Lars

+Quote Post
W@geMage
post Feb 22 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 13,227

QUOTE (Larsine @ Feb 22 2010, 11:01 AM) *
And remember that anything that gets shipped from outside the EU will get slammed with a huge handling fee (ca. £15/DKK175 IRRC), then they add VAT on top of the cost of your goods (incl. shipping and handling fee).
That's what I was worried about.
I sent our local store a mail with the details and I'll see what they say.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Feb 22 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #18

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Ordered on Saturday at my FLGS. So looking forward to this, and since I haven't got a 4A yet my GF won't kill me for getting two copies of the same rules.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 24 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #19

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Sweet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine is already ordered looooong ago (and I already have the regular HC for use). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Maybe I need to order an extra copy, if it is that nice... just because... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Feb 27 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

Amazon gives you a good deal now, but that ignores the damage they due to the brick-and-mortar stores that keep our hobby alive by selling books at a price that would put a normal store out of business.

Without those stores as gathering places—and the new customers they bring into gaming—the hobby as-we-know-it will wither.

The problem is analogous to Walmart. The chain can save the average American family a few thousand a year, but it does so by pricing production out of the United States, forcing the loss of good domestic jobs. In the end Walmart costs the average family more in lost income then they saved in buying goods there.

Personally, I will only buy things from Amazon, that are not available from my local retailers.

+Quote Post
The Canterbury T...
post Mar 6 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 6,182

QUOTE (W@geMage @ Feb 22 2010, 04:16 PM) *
Just to make sure I don't screw this up.

How do I get my local gaming store to order this, they don't usually stock Shadowrun stuff. (It's in Europe)
Who do I refer them to, or would it be better if I order through Battleshop, etc ...

Thanks,
WM

Actually if you're in Europe you're probably best getting in touch with Leisure Games in London and trying to get them to keep a copy and send it to you. It'll be cheaper than shipping direct from the US, and you won't get hit with additional taxes.

+Quote Post
Dixie Flatline
post Mar 8 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,190

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Feb 27 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Amazon gives you a good deal now, but that ignores the damage they due to the brick-and-mortar stores that keep our hobby alive by selling books at a price that would put a normal store out of business.

Without those stores as gathering places—and the new customers they bring into gaming—the hobby as-we-know-it will wither.

The problem is analogous to Walmart. The chain can save the average American family a few thousand a year, but it does so by pricing production out of the United States, forcing the loss of good domestic jobs. In the end Walmart costs the average family more in lost income then they saved in buying goods there.

Personally, I will only buy things from Amazon, that are not available from my local retailers.

My Local Gaming Store (I refuse to put "friendly" in front of that) sucks. I, and all my friends, dutifully shopped there for years (I think '92 was the first time I went there), paying higher prices than I could get down the street at a normal brick and mortar store, because they had a fantastically odd selection of games (all my Cheapass Games products and Car Wars and Starfleet Battles and Illuminati card game and other out of print stuff came from my then-Friendly LGS).

Then the owners sold it. The incredible variety that brought people in constantly disappeared overnight to make room for card tables so that they could run Magic tournaments.

Then they stopped carrying everything except tabletop games (warhammer & the ilk), CCGs, D&D, and White Wolf games.

Then they stopped carrying White-Wolf books.

Then they stopped selling used books, which made up a thriving portion of their business (half of my white-wolf out of print splat books were used)

Then they cut their D&D offerings by 75%.

Then they started cutting back on the tabletop games to make room for the anime section, where you could rent anime, or purchase the same used, scratched discs for more than you'd pay down at the mall at the over-priced DVD store.

All this inventory they moved to another location 45 miles away. I refuse to drive 45 miles one way to browse.

They also have a horrible, horrible tendency to open board games, play with them, then box them up and sell them as new. They make you pay in advance for a special order, and at least three times they have lost the special order and refuse to refund the buyer's money, saying there was never a purchase of the item. The last three times I went there in the last 5 years or so I went for impulse shopping, to buy basics that I didn't have. They didn't have primer paint for figs (!) or for that matter *any* paint for figs (they had figs though) but would special order it for me, they didn't have a battle mat, but would special order it for me, they didn't have markers, but would special order it for me. Ship time would be 2-3 weeks. And I'd be paying at least full MSRP. The primer paint was a little more than MSRP. The last time I went in to buy something they did have (dice), I waited 15 minutes while the guy who was supposed to ring me up played a round of heroclix. If I didn't need the dice that night I would have left.

If I have to wait 2-3 weeks to get an item, I want it on discount, even if it's 5-10% as a nod towards not going through Amazon or directly online. If I need it that same day, I'll gladly pay more than what Amazon charges/full price. Otherwise it's idiotic of me to pay 20-30% *more* for worse service from my LGS than through Amazon.

Sorry this is off topic, but it strikes me as silly to completely vilify Amazon. If CGL doesn't want to do business with Amazon that's their prerogative entirely, but at least in my case, Amazon is the only real option I have in my town, as my LGS is run by clowns. I'm sure my town isn't anywhere near unique.

On topic, I did order the LE through battleshop. Shipping was way steep (15 bucks for same-coast shipping) but it was worth it to me. Lately the quality of hardcover books I've received from places like Amazon & B&N.com have been very, very sub-standard (broken spines, scratched covers, pages creased/torn). For something this expensive, I'm willing to pay the shipping premium. Can't wait to see it. I have every shadowrun core book except for the 20th anniversary edition (which I'll be picking up), so this will make a nice addition to my collection.

+Quote Post
kjones
post Mar 9 2010, 03:56 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,163

QUOTE (Dixie Flatline @ Mar 8 2010, 05:53 PM) *
<snip>

I hear you, Dixie. I'm more than happy to pay a premium to support a store that I care about, but they have to hold up their end of the bargain by making themselves worth it. If my FLGS owner treated me like that, I'd walk out and never come back.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 10 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #24

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Feb 27 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Or the hobby will find a new paradigm. Thats one of the things I appreciate about CGL (and Randall Bills in particular)- they are searching for that new paradigm and making a concerted effort to add value to their products (SR4A is a case in point). Now if every book came with the pdf for free, that would be wonderful for my wallet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The problem is analogous to Walmart. The chain can save the average American family a few thousand a year, but it does so by pricing production out of the United States, forcing the loss of good domestic jobs.
Thats not entirely accurate. Sure, that is a factor, but Walmart certainly didn't invent the idea of overseas manufacturing. Walmart doesn't make money by selling cheap shit at a profit. They sell cheap shit at near cost and make money by investing the cash revenue. They turn a profit in the market before using that revenue to pay overhead. Thats why Sam's Club deals almost exclusively in cash or certain credit cards (specifically companies that allow them the same liquidity).

In the end Walmart costs the average family more in lost income then they saved in buying goods there.
This is still true, tho. The end result is the same.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 10 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

Look out! Its an escaped clone-post...

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.