Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Actions, Turn Sequence Thread
Panzergeist
post Feb 10 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,676

I think this board could use a thread about actions. Anyone with a question about what kind of action a certain action is, or anything else regarding the turn sequence, initiative, or combat phases, post them here.

I have a couple of questions to start out with. What kind of action is it to make a relocating test to find a hiding vehicle? And for the quick draw action, does the +2 modifier for an improper holster apply to concealed holsters?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Feb 10 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Panzergeist)
What kind of action is it to make a relocating test to find a hiding vehicle?
Complex. On P141 of SR3 it says that all vehicle actions are complex actions. Even though it ommits relocating from the list I'd say it still falls under the category of vehicle action and thus is complex.
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
And for the quick draw action, does the +2 modifier for an improper holster apply to concealed holsters?
They would have the +2 TN to quickdraw if they were using a normal concealable holster. You can get Concealable Quickdraw holsters, however. See P33, CC.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Feb 10 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Personally speaking, the way that it is described in the book, I feel that any holster (read: not having stuffed the gun into your pocket/belt/pants) negates that +2TN penalty. Just so long as you can draw the pistol without catching it on anything, there is no +2TN penalty, regardless of the later addition of quickdraw holsters in CC.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 10 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Regular holsters have snaps or velcro straps to keep the gun from falling out of the holster when you're getting your athletics on (running, jumping, tumbling, getting up after being knocked down by a barrage of bullets or a sweep attack). Those things get in the way of quickly drawing your weapon. The quick draw holsters lack anything that secures the weapon in the holster, making it easy to draw the weapon quickly, but also easy for the weapon to fall out if you arent careful.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 10 2004, 03:48 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Why does it cost 50 :nuyen: to remove a strap?
If the difference was the lack of a restraining device, quickdraw holsters should not cost any more than regular holsters.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 10 2004, 04:03 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Because those who want a quickdraw holster are willing to pay more for one? Perhaps the quickdrawness is marketed as an "added feature." Perhaps theres a tax on them to reduce their prevalence. Not all price differences represent differences in manufacturing cost.

What would you suggest is the physical difference between a standard or concealable holster and the quickdraw versions?

+Quote Post
Elfie
post Feb 10 2004, 04:06 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,364

Maybe quickdraw holsters are molded to be able to hold a gun in the holster during normal 'activity', but since the gun is not sealed in the holster, the user can just grab the gun and with little effort (read normal drawing motion) pull the gun free of the holster? I can picture the molded material in my head, but I can't adequately describe it at the moment...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 10 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Feb 9 2004, 11:03 PM)
What would you suggest is the physical difference between a standard or concealable holster and the quickdraw versions?

The only ideas I have so far that would provide quickdraw functionality with little or no chance of the gun falling out would show up as bright as the gun on a MAD scanner.

My logic was that few would pay 50 :nuyen: for a holster feature when you can get the same function by taking a knife to a normal holster.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Feb 10 2004, 04:31 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Herald and Elfie: What you're saying is reasonable. Its actually never come up in a game for me, so I (as I often do) made up an answer that made sense to me. How about lets stop hijacking this thread now, mmkay?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 10 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

The only Quick Draw holsters I have ever seen are the 'break-away' type shoulder holsters, with velcro (or equivalent) holding the gun in place. These differ from regular holsters that have snaps/buckles/buttons/flaps/whatever.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 10 2004, 04:50 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Feb 10 2004, 03:48 AM)
Why does it cost 50  :nuyen: to remove a strap? 
If the difference was the lack of a restraining device, quickdraw holsters should not cost any more than regular holsters.

actually, standard holsters like the ones used by law enforcement officers require a person to push down and back while readying the weapon out of the holster. It's a practiced movement in skills training. The reason for the feature is to prevent someone from just snatching the gun out of an officer's holster, strap or not. The holster is designed so the gun can not simply be lifted up and out. Kind of like what Elfie describes.

Here's a question, let's say for the sake of discussion someone wanted to make a character with the highest possible initiative at chargen in the priority system, with the restrictions that the character is mundane and has rescources C. How would you go about it? (I know that kind of limits your possibilities, but I wonder if anyone can surprise us and think outside the box.)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 10 2004, 05:36 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I believe that Quickdraw was phased out, though some OS 9 and earlier/"Classic" programs probably still use it.

~J

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Feb 11 2004, 01:19 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

All vehicle actions are complex? I know activating smoke dischargers and oil slick sprayers are simple actions. And manual gunnery supposedly follows the rules of normal firearm use, so isn't shooting a gun manually a simple action, but with the option of using more simple actions to aim?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 11 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, the 'vehicle actions are complex' thing is a quote from the rigger section of SR3. it should probably be errata'd to read 'unless noted otherwise'.

+Quote Post
Wu Jen
post Feb 11 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,055

QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
Here's a question, let's say for the sake of discussion someone wanted to make a character with the highest possible initiative at chargen in the priority system, with the restrictions that the character is mundane and has rescources C.  How would you go about it?  (I know that kind of limits your possibilities, but I wonder if anyone can surprise us and think outside the box.)

With those restrictions and using priority system I would do the following.

[ Spoiler ]

I'd be interested to see what others can do though.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 11 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #16

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Cant use the Adrenaline Surge edge with ANY reation enhancing cyber/magic.

+Quote Post
Wu Jen
post Feb 11 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,055

Ack! Very true and NSRCG didn't even warn me :P You will still have the numbers I listed above you just won't have the chance to get higher :) Well take off 2 flaw points then as well :)

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Feb 11 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

This is my best shot

A: Attributes- 30 (put 8 in Quickness and 7 in Intelligence)
B: Race- Any Race (elf)
C: Resources- 90,000 (buy wired reflexes (1), trigger, inhaler, 20 doses of jazz)
D: Skills- 30
E: Magic- Mundane

Edges:
Bonus Attribute: Quickness (+2)
Exceptional Attribute: Quickness (+2)
Exceptional Attribute: Intelligence (+2)

Flaws:
Choose any to counterbalance (+6) edges

This puts your Initiative at 10+2d6, when you take jazz it ups the initiative to 11+3d6 which is a max/min of 29/14. It also leaves you with money for equipment and an addiction to jazz. If you wanted to you might be able to finagle the boosted reflexes 3 plus jazz (going over 90,000 slightly) for an initiative of 11+4d6. Also to consider, you might be able to get wired reflexes (2) *used* for under 90,000.

+Quote Post
Req
post Feb 11 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 277

Used wired refs, huh? There's a nice safe piece of ware.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 11 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #20

Runner

Switch race and resources. More cash, same elf.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 11 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Feb 11 2004, 02:48 PM)
Switch race and resources.  More cash, same elf.

It was stipulated that max resources was C/¥90,000, hence all the Race B characters.

~J

Edit: correction, it was stipulated that resources are EXACTLY C/¥90,000. Not that you'd have much reason to go lower, what with the mundane requirement...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 11 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #22

Runner

Bah, sum to elf.

+Quote Post
ShadowPhoenix
post Feb 11 2004, 07:57 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,568

IIRC Quickdraw holsters in real life use a type of retainer spring at the bottom of the holster that puts pressure on the barrel of the weapon, which basically binds the barrel to the holster during active motion, but a tilt and pull pushes the spring away from the barrel and releases the gun. It's been a while since I've read Guns and Ammo, so I don't know how accurate my description is.

:D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 11 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Bah, sum to elf.

I like the sounds of this chargen system.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 12 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

for fifty bucks, you should be able to get a holster made of low-end smart materials in SR, with an equally low-end printreader glued onto the control system. as you grab your gun, you touch your finger to the printreader (put it over the trigger for ease of finding) and the holster lets go of the weapon.

sum-to-elf? is that the new math?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.