Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sex magic, Orgies as rituals?
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

My players in an upcoming campaign are all Awakened, and all but one are likely going to initiate ASAP. They have a group lifestyle above a sex club where they all work in various capacities (matrix & physical security for the hacker/rigger, astral security & illusions for the mage, bouncing for the troll adept, and sexual services for the courtesan face). I'm thinking of creating a magical group based in the club, based in a common belief in sexual and social freedom and the power which can be garnered from sex (esp. if there's a lodge in the basement ^_^). How would you suggest I implement sex magic in my game? I'm interested in both applications of existing rules and suggestions for new ones. I'd be extra happy if a dev chimed in (I'm looking at you, AH!).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 10 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I dunno if there's really much to say. The magic rules are already an abstract used to cover all manner of rituals, so I'd say most of the heavy lifting would be in regards to any oaths, strictures, geas or mentor/free spirits you guys choose to associate with. A variation of the Horned Man hits me as immediately appropriate.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 10 2010, 11:59 AM) *
I dunno if there's really much to say. The magic rules are already an abstract used to cover all manner of rituals, so I'd say most of the heavy lifting would be in regards to any oaths, geas or mentor/free spirits you guys choose to associate with. A variation of the Horned Man mentor hits me as immediately appropriate.

Yes, I'll definitely be using the Horned Man as a patron.

+Quote Post
Khyron
post Mar 10 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,367

Run by the freespirits Larry Flynt and Hugh Hefner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 18,252

Sounds like you just add sex into all the little details of their 'traditions.' Have to have sex once every 24 hours as a geas, orgies as ritual casting, etc. I think there's some interesting depth to be had from roleplaying out your character's personal beliefs regarding bodily energy and magic.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Mar 10 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

Whipstich covered it decently. One other possibility I could see is that an Orgy probably creates a background count, even without magic. Sex magic could make use of that as an aspected BG count.

+Quote Post
Tsithlis
post Mar 10 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,286

I just want to know where this club is located... I want to join!

+Quote Post
Tsithlis
post Mar 10 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #8

Target

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 10 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Geas for metamagic. Use a ritual geas: "Had sex in the last 24 hours."

I did it for my 800 BP drake, though I did go a little farther for giggles: "Had sex, in dracoform, with a willing partner."

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Mongoose @ Mar 10 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Whipstich covered it decently. One other possibility I could see is that an Orgy probably creates a background count, even without magic. Sex magic could make use of that as an aspected BG count.

That's a good point - I think I'll give the place a R2 background count aspected for people who practice sex magic.

QUOTE (Tsithlis @ Mar 10 2010, 12:08 PM) *

I based it largely off of Seattle's Center for Sex-Positive Culture, commonly known as the Wet Spot . I used to be volunteer laundry crew there, and I'm about to start running a perverse and pervertible games party with my fiance and secndary ^_^

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 10 2010, 03:13 PM) *
I based it largely off of Seattle's Center for Sex-Positive Culture, commonly known as the Wet Spot . I used to be volunteer laundry crew there, and I'm about to start running a perverse and pervertible games party with my fiance and secndary ^_^
Part of me is a little annoyed at the almost pejorative name for a "sex-positive culture center," but mostly I think that's just hilarious.

I'm a monogamist in the end though, so I'm boring. Not all of us can shake completely free of cultural norms.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 10 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #12

Runner

You could also have oaths/strictures about things like abusing the trust of sexual partners (things like ignoring when your partner used a safe word etc). After all, such a magical bond would be one of the few ways of having a relatively impartial jury in such matters.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 10 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 10 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Should write a novel, like Melissa Febos did about her four years as a professional dominatrix while she attended college. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Also, party games are easily turned naughty. Seriously, even monopoly. Just swap out the currency for items of clothing.

(Minor edit: another thread that on any other forum would have been locked by now)

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 10 2010, 03:20 PM) *
(Minor edit: another thread that on any other forum would have been locked by now)
Frag that.

We're discussing it in a mature way with the actual intent of using it in a game. Freedom of speech. What do you think we are, Christians?

+Quote Post
SleepIncarnate
post Mar 10 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,931

Two words: Tantric Tradition

Seriously, do a bit of reading on tantra and base a tradition around that. There's a lot more to it than just sex and it converts to a magic tradition well. IN fact, it already did. For those who used to play the old Mage: The Ascension game, look at the Cult of Ecstasy (the real one, not the image of drug addled sex fiends most people think they were).

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 10 2010, 12:19 PM) *
You could also have oaths/strictures about things like abusing the trust of sexual partners (things like ignoring when your partner used a safe word etc). After all, such a magical bond would be one of the few ways of having a relatively impartial jury in such matters.

Good call. I think I'll base the club rules off of RACK (risk-aware consentual kink) rather than SSC (safe, sane, and consentual), though - the Heal spell makes normally risky play much less dangerous in the long run.

Here's the group so far:

Patron = Horned One (Bacchus/Cerunos/Dionysus/etc.)
Strictures:
Attendance (Weekly orgies - must attend at least 1/month)
Belief (Sexual freedom, respect for sexual partners)
Exclusive membership
Fraternity
Geas (Must have sexual intercourse at least once a week)
Geas (Must have 2 or more sexual partners per month)
Service (Must work at the club; paid in room and board)
Limited membership (Club staff)

I'm still looking for a name.

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #17

Target

Why is monogamy not allowed? Just a question.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Mar 10 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Mar 10 2010, 04:25 PM) *
There's a lot more to it than just sex

Which is why I didn't suggest it before. Going that route typically requires dumbing down the practices enough that you needn't have bothered with much beyond the bare details, particularly since the rituals are rarely something a westerner likely has much familiarity with, magical practictioner or not. A diverse and largely secular group with common goals just ends up being a lot more inclusive, particularly in a situation like this one in which it sounds like the PCs have already been sheeted up.

+Quote Post
Tsithlis
post Mar 10 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #19

Target

What do you think we are, Christians?

Some of us are...

Were just adults and not children and can therefore discuss things without resorting to childish acts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would like to point out that the very first thing god said to adam and eve was go forth and multiply leads me to believe he wanted us to have sex...

+Quote Post
Kazuhiro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Tsithlis @ Mar 10 2010, 03:35 PM) *
Some of us are...

Were just adults and not children and can therefore discuss things without resorting to childish acts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would like to point out that the very first thing god said to adam and eve was go forth and multiply leads me to believe he wanted us to have sex...
And some of us are still bitter ultra-liberal college students pretending to be adults.

Sorry if that came off as an insult. I mean that organized religion is inevitably the opposite of "sex-positive" culture. I guess I worded it as a personal statement and I shouldn't have.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Mar 10 2010, 12:34 PM) *
Why is monogamy not allowed? Just a question.

And a perfectly valid one. I set it up that way because the group is based around breaking down sexual barriers and raising sexual energy for magical purposes. While monogamy is a perfectly valid lifestyle choice, it doesn't work so well when you want to do a group sex ritual ^_^

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 10 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Mar 10 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Frag that.

We're discussing it in a mature way with the actual intent of using it in a game. Freedom of speech. What do you think we are, Christians?

Oh, just an obscure reference. Most forums go "AHHH! SEX TOPIC! BEYOND PG-13 D: *LOCKLOCKLOCK*"

Except, apparently, all of the forums I visit...one of which had* an active "sex rp" board.

*Probably still has. I got into a bit of a tussle with some dickwad on crack^ and realized that, no, I don't really need to be coming here. I may have been in the right, but this isn't a place I actually care about.

^"I saw a dragon in the Iraq desert! It wanted me to write its memoirs! Its an agent of the Christian God and eats sinners!" No, I'm not kidding.

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

I took out the "at least 2 sexual partners per month" geas as unnecessary. The group has a buttload of strictures as it is.

Any ideas for a name?

[Edit:] What do you think of a "stacked" lodge? Instead of having multiple lodges and dealing with how they relate, I'd rather just have a single, more expensive lodge which can be used by multiple magical traditions (since the group includes members who walk many different paths). For example, the primary physical focus could be the main orgy space in the basement; there could be a hermetic library with both physical books & virtual access through terminals; meditation rooms could include paraphinalia for many different traditions. Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 10 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Scarlet Woman - Not For Kids!

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Mar 10 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 10 2010, 01:23 PM) *

AH is here! We're saved! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/notworthy.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.