Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberware + Essence, rules clarification
spongeclip
post Mar 20 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,319

This question is coming up because of a mage with minor cyberware but to be honest it's a question I've had for years through many editions of shadowrun but I figure now that I've found dumpshock it would be a good time to the address the issue.

My assumption for cyberware has always been that once essence is spent that it is gone forever however once an cyber'd bit is installed it can be upgraded.

For example - Tony the Tiger the ganger purchases a DAtajack, Cybereyes (1) and wired reflexes (1) for .1 + .2 and 2 essence respectively. for a net loss of 2.3 essence

Later on in Tony's career things are good, money is coming in and he makes some good contacts one of which happens to be a street doc with some occasional hot drek tech. The Doc gets a betaware datajack and some alphaware wired reflexes (2) and lets tony know that he's got some new gear, tony has got the cash to spend so he decides to get the upgrades.

Datajack alphaware - .07 essence cost
wired reflexes (2) alphaware - 2.4 essence

Tony has already spent .1 for a datajack and 2 for wired reflexes but since these parts will be removed and replaced with upgraded parts I've always assumed that the essence cost of the original parts creates a gap that is partially filled by the new cyberware.

So

Datajack replacement 1- .07 leaves .03 essence "empty"
Wired reflxes replacement 2 - 2.4 leaves a loss of an additional .4 essence

Means that tony's essence is now reduced by a total of 2.7 essence with a .03 essence in the head gone but empty and unused since essence isn't regained. With that being said MY assumption is that replaced parts leave an essence hole that is filled by the new parts which may or may not be cheaper in essence cost however where applicable essence is not regained it is simply left empty and if a similar part in a similar location is installed that empty essence can then be used to apply to the new cyberware.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 20 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (spongeclip @ Mar 20 2010, 01:30 PM) *
With that being said MY assumption is that replaced parts leave an essence hole that is filled by the new parts which may or may not be cheaper in essence cost however where applicable essence is not regained it is simply left empty

Correct, the only way to regain lost essence is some stupidly expensive gene therapy from Augmentation.

and if a similar part in a similar location is installed that empty essence can then be used to apply to the new cyberware.

The rules don't care what reduced your essence, you can fill the essence hole left by upgrading a cyberfoot with some new headware.

+Quote Post
DWC
post Mar 20 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

That's pretty much it. You end up with a gap between your Essence attribute and the amount that you're using, which is filled up before you lose any more Essence. Think of it as store credit from the universe.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 20 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 20 2010, 05:37 AM) *
Correct, the only way to regain lost essence is some stupidly expensive gene therapy from Augmentation.

So, what price would you place on regaining a resource that otherwise would be gone forever, with absolutely no other way to recover it?
I think that the prices are totally okay for what they accomplish... at least in my opinion...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 20 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

As a matter of fact, Augmentation has all the rules you need on page 128 and on.
That said, yeah, your assumptions are correct.

+Quote Post
Ego Mcmahon
post Mar 21 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,568

yeah thats pretty much how ive delt with it in the past,

Q, I play wit a higher cap on qualities of 70BP which has been in place since i joined my group as a newbie playing for the first time and i was wondering how you calculate the essence cost of cyberware for a character with a combination of the following qualities:

Type O system (half essence cost for all bioware)
Biocompatability with bioware as the chosen item (-10% essence cost)

which of the 2 do you account for first as the total essence cost would work out differently either way

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 21 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Ego Mcmahon @ Mar 21 2010, 04:47 AM) *
yeah thats pretty much how ive delt with it in the past,

Q, I play wit a higher cap on qualities of 70BP which has been in place since i joined my group as a newbie playing for the first time and i was wondering how you calculate the essence cost of cyberware for a character with a combination of the following qualities:

Type O system (half essence cost for all bioware)
Biocompatability with bioware as the chosen item (-10% essence cost)

which of the 2 do you account for first as the total essence cost would work out differently either way

I don't believe 0.5*0.9 works out differently than 0.9*0.5, but what do I know.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 21 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 20 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I don't believe 0.5*0.9 works out differently than 0.9*0.5, but what do I know.

I don't think it works that way. I think the way stacking reductions works is the reductions are added together for a net Essence saving of 60% (except for cultured bioware which only gets a 10% Essence discount)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Mar 21 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 21 2010, 06:45 AM) *
I don't think it works that way. I think the way stacking reductions works is the reductions are added together for a net Essence saving of 60% (except for cultured bioware which only gets a 10% Essence discount)

That'd be against basic Math sense.
That said, not that I argue it's possible, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif) but it'd be nice if you referenced books on that.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 21 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Would love to see where it's written that you add all of the percentages before calculating the essence cost. Also, cultured bioware doesn't give you a discount on the essence; just means you can't get it second hand as it must be tailored to one's body as opposed to something that can be universally implanted (Augmentation, page 61).

Thus far, the only explicit totaling of percentages first is calculating the increase/decrease for speed and/or acceleration for vehicles & drones.

Now if you were to add the percentages first, then if you prepare a character first for any cyberware with Biocompatability (Cyberware) and the Adapsin treatment would pay a mere 30% of the original essence if deltaware cybernetics are chosen; otherwise it's 40.5%.

Added: Almost forgot about the cyberware suites bonus, if a GM allows a particular package deal. Makes at best a 20% essence cost on cyberware if you add all percentages first, else it's 36.45%.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Mar 21 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Correct.

Augmentation and the rules are very simple.

Track cyber/nanotech totals and bioware/geneware totals seperately. If something is removed, the cyber total or bio total doesn't change, but leaves a hole which can be refilled w/ new equipment of that type. Your instantaneous essence score is reduced by all of the larger plus half of the smaller. The only way to get essence back is to have a lot of free time, a lot of money, and the connections for special therapy which SLOWLY restores it.

IE: 3 cyber, 2 bio... you have .5essence worth of cyber removed.. your essence is still 2 (6-4-(2/2)). If you get 1 essence worth of cyber... the first .5 comes out of the unused hole... and your cyber total moves to 3.5.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Mar 21 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 20 2010, 11:24 PM) *
That'd be against basic Math sense.
That said, not that I argue it's possible, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif) but it'd be nice if you referenced books on that.

Per a dev quote here a long while back... discounts and surcharges are added together before applying them to the base costs.

So Bio-compatibility (-10%) and Type O system (-50%) if used for Bioware, would be a 60% discount on Essence costs. You could add in Adapsin & Cyberware suites for additional discounting.

Likewise, Bio-compatibility & 2nd hand ware would be -10% + 20% for a final +10% Essence cost.

IIRC, the best discounting one could get was 29.5 Essence of stuff crammed into 6 Essence with just a smidgin (that's a technical term for a *really* tiny amount) of Essence leftover.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 21 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Is there an official errata on this somewhere? It would certainly make tracking essence easier if you added all percentages first (having to count Sensitive System as a +100% in all of this).

+Quote Post
Patrick the Gnom...
post Mar 21 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,863

I honestly don't think it matters which gets accounted for first, biocompatibility or type o system. After all, one's a 10 BP quality and the other's a 30 BP quality so having them both on the same character is somewhat impossible...

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 21 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Not unless you're a mundane changeling and going to aim for tons of bioware. Class I SURGE, five BP, gets ten freebie points for the character for positive metagenetic qualities, and Biocompatability is one (RC, page 110). Spend your last 30 for qualities on Type O System and you're done. Doesn't really matter what your negative metagenetic quality is.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Mar 21 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 20 2010, 07:34 PM) *
So, what price would you place on regaining a resource that otherwise would be gone forever, with absolutely no other way to recover it?
I think that the prices are totally okay for what they accomplish... at least in my opinion...

Surely you get what you pay for, but for the average runner the prices mean that such options might as well not exist at all. High tech and low life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
simplexio
post Mar 21 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 15,275

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 21 2010, 09:01 AM) *
Not unless you're a mundane changeling and going to aim for tons of bioware. Class I SURGE, five BP, gets ten freebie points for the character for positive metagenetic qualities, and Biocompatability is one (RC, page 110). Spend your last 30 for qualities on Type O System and you're done. Doesn't really matter what your negative metagenetic quality is.

Could you take Biocompatability twice? one as normal and second from SURGE..
Or take cybercompatability twice.. which could get intresting which would get max discount from 20% (delta suite+ adapsin + compatability ) to 10%..

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 21 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Biocompatability explicitly says you can take it only once, so unfortunately you couldn't take it a second time as a metagenetic quality.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 22 2010, 02:39 AM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 21 2010, 12:50 PM) *
Surely you get what you pay for, but for the average runner the prices mean that such options might as well not exist at all. High tech and low life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You are right... the Average Runner will not seek out, nor care about, the re-acquisition of Essence, as it is very expensive... but when you manage to get a bit of money, and your Essence is dear to you, you do what you can...

And not all 'Runners are low lifes... sure, you are paid for some very questionable things... but you can be more than a low life in the Shadows if you play your cards right...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 22 2010, 03:13 AM
Post #20

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 21 2010, 01:20 AM) *
Is there an official errata on this somewhere? It would certainly make tracking essence easier if you added all percentages first (having to count Sensitive System as a +100% in all of this).

Well, in ANY game system where you have multiple discounts, modifiers, or adjusting elements to ANY statistic, it only makes good design sense that all such adjustments are to the BASE statistic, not to the modified statistic.

Allowing discounts on discounted prices, etc, ends up with mathematical madness.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Mar 22 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Yeah, I'm familiar with the mathematical madness, especially in seeing 4 decimal points in essence calculations. Does make it interesting to try to get a cyborg character as close to that 0.0001 essence level as possible. Would make for a good point to add for an Arsenal errata file.

Now I'm just wondering if there's enough backing and agreement on this to consider it an official ruling for errata or something. Thinking on how easy or hard it might be to get DamienKnight to rework his wonderful Excel character sheet file to calculate the essence percentages first before applying it to the base essence cost (currently it does the... "mathematical madness"). I know I can fix my own copy, but not everyone has my mediocre skills to do this.

+Quote Post
HentaiZonga
post Mar 22 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,884

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 21 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Well, in ANY game system where you have multiple discounts, modifiers, or adjusting elements to ANY statistic, it only makes good design sense that all such adjustments are to the BASE statistic, not to the modified statistic.

Allowing discounts on discounted prices, etc, ends up with mathematical madness.

On the other hand, allowing stacking discounts on the base also ends up with mathematical madness, but of another kind: there only need to be two more Qualities/ware/tricks that lower Essence cost by 10% each, and delta cyberware becomes free. Worse, if you get three of them, then I can gain Essence by putting in ware.

To clarify:
Deltaware: -50% Essence cost, +900% Nuyen cost
Suite: -10% Essence cost, -10% Nuyen cost
Biocompatability: -10% Essence cost
Adapsin: -10% Essence cost

total: -80% Essence cost.

Now, let's say a new Quality comes out, "Expert Implantation", which reduces cyberware cost by 5% per 5 BP taken (15% max), because the Surgeon was perfectly awesome. Then another trick comes out in another book, "Holistic Essence Allignment", which is some kind of Awakened treatment you can get to reduce cyberware or bioware cost by another 10%.

Expert Implantation: -15%
Holistic Essence Alignment: -10%

total: -105% Essence cost

woo! Cyberware now gains me Essence! I go out and have a thousand datajacks implanted over every square inch of my body! Each one costs me 4,950Y, but gains me +0.005 Essence. A thousand of them gives me a final Essence of eleven. Well, 10.9, since I have to pay for the Adapsin. I am now a hole-filled freak, shooting lightning bolts and fireballs out of my thousand digital orifices!

FEAR ME!!!

+Quote Post
CeeJay
post Mar 22 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

From: Nowhere near you... unless you happen to be near Cologne.
Member No.: 16,776

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Mar 22 2010, 04:13 AM) *

Well any system except SR4 it seems...

QUOTE (Augmentation (p. 32))
Nicola is looking for some high-class muscle replacement for her character Clutterbone, but since she’s short
on nuyen, she decides to defy the bad reputation of secondhand cyberware and tries to acquire a Rating 2 alphaware
muscle replacement implant.
The base Essence cost of the implant would be 1.92 (the original 2 Essence cost for Rating 2 muscle replacement
x 0.8 for alphaware grade x 1.2 for the second-hand state of the implant)
, while the Availability would be 9R
(10R for the original implant,–1 for being second-hand) and the cost 10,000¥ (10,000¥ x 2 x 0.5).

Mind you, this is just an example text and one could argue that a "second-hand 'ware" is different from other essence modifiers, but in this case all modifiers are multiplied with the base costs in one step.
Of course this leads to the absurd situation were second hand alpha 'ware is in all accounts better than standard cyberware, costing the same amount of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) but less essence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

-CJ

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Mar 22 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Mar 21 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Now, let's say a new Quality comes out, "Expert Implantation", which reduces cyberware cost by 5% per 5 BP taken (15% max), because the Surgeon was perfectly awesome. Then another trick comes out in another book, "Holistic Essence Allignment", which is some kind of Awakened treatment you can get to reduce cyberware or bioware cost by another 10%.

If they had anything like "Expert Implantation" then they would would only allow you to take it once... like they do for biocompatability.

Next, they would most likely put it so that the "Holistic Essence Alignment" treatment can't be stacked with biocompatability. Heck that might be why that treatment came out in the first place... they studied those people who had that quality and saw how to replicate it with magic.

QUOTE (CeeJay @ Mar 22 2010, 03:07 AM) *
Of course this leads to the absurd situation were second hand alpha 'ware is in all accounts better than standard cyberware, costing the same amount of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) but less essence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

-CJ

That is why the developers made it so that modifiers stacked rather than multiplied. It neatly voids this situation. No getting secondhand alphaware for cheap.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 22 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #25

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Mar 21 2010, 11:46 PM) *
On the other hand, allowing stacking discounts on the base also ends up with mathematical madness, but of another kind: there only need to be two more Qualities/ware/tricks that lower Essence cost by 10% each, and delta cyberware becomes free. Worse, if you get three of them, then I can gain Essence by putting in ware.

But that's not an issue with the mechanics. That's an issue with game balance. Putting TOO MANY adjustments into the game that modify the same statistic.

The reason why most game systems have adjustments modify the base value, rather than modify the modified value, is because that way it doesn't matter what order you apply the adjustments.

Modifying the modified value ends up with different results depending on the order of adjustment. It's just bad design.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.