Closed TopicStart new topic
> CGL Speculation #5, It continues
DireRadiant
post Apr 9 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #1

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

New Thread. Enjoy. Concentrate on the topic, CGL Speculation, and not each other and it will be smoother.

CGL speculation #1 pg. 1-28
CGL speculation #2 pg. 1-10
CGL speculation #3 pg.1-50
CGL Sspecularion #4

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Well, we just seem to breeze through these threads right now for some reason.
So, anybody wanna tell me wether or not my FLGS selling Running Wild, Vice and Feral Cities in english and german could be considered problematic?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Apr 9 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #3

Man Behind the Curtain

Member No.: 3

Just so we're clear, the last thread was closed because it was pretty well becoming a war. Patience is growing thin as the mods are having to spend way too much time on patrol rather than sun bathing.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Apr 9 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #4

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Stahlseele - The Cease and Desist of sales and distribution are still in effect on Running Wild and Vice. I am not familiar with a C&D for Feral Cities, so it should be in the clear. (This is presuming I was CC'd on relevant communications.)

I expect to have updates on which books have been released on Monday, April 12th and will do my best to update everyone as I can.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Apr 9 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 9 2010, 01:08 PM) *
Just so we're clear, the last thread was closed because it was pretty well becoming a war. Patience is growing thin as the mods are having to spend way too much time on patrol rather than sun bathing.

Except for Fisty. He's a vampire. And the only time he sparkles in the sun is when he explodes into dust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, to recap the thread so far:

Lone STar Cops riding Cybord Unicorns.
Tiger Eyes' belly button ring.
2010 Dumpshock Lingerie and/or Swimsuit Calender.

Oh, and some pointless bickering, rumor mongering, and accusations. I'm hoping they'll go away and we can just talk about more of teh silly stuff for a while.

Bull

+Quote Post
Delarn
post Apr 9 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,963

QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 9 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Those are the most interesting points ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Apr 9 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Stahlseele - The Cease and Desist of sales and distribution are still in effect on Running Wild and Vice. I am not familiar with a C&D for Feral Cities, so it should be in the clear. (This is presuming I was CC'd on relevant communications.)

I expect to have updates on which books have been released on Monday, April 12th and will do my best to update everyone as I can.

Basically my Question is:
Those Books have been sold by CGL TO THE SHOPS allready correct?
So right now, those Books are the Property OF THE SHOPS, not of CGL.
Thus the C&D to CGL does not work on the Shops, because CGL is not selling them anymore.
CGL allready got the money for those Books. They don't see any money anymore if the Shops sell them right?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 9 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

Catalyst sells books to distributors, which sell them to retailers, which sell them to customers.

Catalyst gets their money when they sell the book to distributors (Well, a number of days/months later, depending on which distributor ... they get paid sooner for hobby sales and later for book chain sales) and doesn't receive any additional money when a retailer sells it.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

Thus my question of how the C&D affects my FLGS for example.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Apr 9 2010, 02:57 PM) *
New Thread. Enjoy. Concentrate on the topic, CGL Speculation, and not each other and it will be smoother.

CGL speculation #1 pg. 1-28
CGL speculation #2 pg. 1-10
CGL speculation #3 pg.1-50
CGL Sspecularion #4

The Saga goes on.
Seriously, this subject has easily surpassed number of posts of the "Horros" thread weeks ago.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
Post #11

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Thread Recap: we were in the midst of discussing the meaning of Truth. Specifically whether things that are true remain true after they are no longer directly perceived, or whether they . This again, mysteriously revolved around Cain, despite the fact that I think he had stuff to do and missed the entire previous thread. At issue this time was not his partisan declaration in favor of determinism against free will, but rather his claim of observational persistence. That is the idea that once someone says something that forever afterwards they will have said that thing. Taking the reverse position was LurkerOutThere, who posited that an event was only true while it happened and thereafter was epistemologically uncertain - if not outright false.

Cain's core claim in this arena is that once Jennifer Harding had said that she had been pressured to falsify financial records for Catalyst Game Labs and quit rather than do that, that in further discussions one could refer to the fact that she had made that claim as itself being a true fact. Not so, posited LurkerOutThere, who self described himself as lambasting Cain for his epistemological presumption! Indeed, he derided, with those statements by Jennifer Harding not being made now (as in literally not being said, not that she had retracted any of them), claiming that she had said them in the first place was putting words into her mouth at best.

At issue of course is the persistence of fact. In 2007, Loren Coleman contracted for a mansion to be built for him and his family in Washington, using money that was not his. In 2008, it was finished and he moved into it. In 2009, the building got a final inspection, and if I am reading documents correctly, a new assessed value based on post-crash real estate prices (thereby reducing the property taxes owed to being in line with a house in the $650,000 range rather than the million dollar range). But none of those events happened in 2010, meaning that to believe in those events we have to trust both in the continuity of experience and in the reliability of memory. Even now, as I am writing this synopsis, I am merely remembering those numbers and dates - I am not literally perceiving those actions right now as I type. And is memory not unlike a dream? Who is to say that any reference to past events, even ones as chronologically ordered and immutably typed a corporate records or forum posts on locked threads are not mere hallucinations?

For this thread, we will be talking about the Problem of Induction and the Incorrigibility of Motive. We touched upon it a little bit in the last thread, where I had assembled the data points that Loren Coleman had failed to pay Posthuman Studios royalty money and that Posthuman Studios was splitting from Catalyst. I made the assumption that the two were causally linked, and I made the assumption that Posthuman was leaving Catalyst because of the non-payment of Royalties. Rob Boyle and Adam Jury both corrected this assertion, and pointed out that they have other reasons for leaving Loren Coleman's company (boy do they!) and that the two data points are not causally linked, at least in that direction. This underlines a core difficulty with judging human motivation, and with predicting events in general. Even if you see that a person always does a specific action after a specific stimulus, that does not mean that the stimulus necessarily causes that response. There could be any number of coincidental causes. Such it is that though WildFire and Posthuman Studios are both leaving for other publishers, and both have had nonpayment of Royalty issues, that as it happens the nonpayment was the cause of WildFire's departure and not the cause of Posthuman's.

For our set piece on the Problem of Induction, we will be discussing Ketjak's (one of the owners of IMR/ Catalyst) discussion of the rate of draws from the IMR accounts by Loren Coleman, and discussing whether they correspond to a pattern of embezzlement, or merely a series of random embezzlements whose seemingly regular time frame were generated by chance alone.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 9 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 02:31 PM) *
Thus my question of how the C&D affects my FLGS for example.

This is a topic for a copyright lawyer.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 9 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 9 2010, 08:32 PM) *
This is a topic for a copyright lawyer.

Gah, i'd rather not involve one of THOSE things x.x . .

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 9 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

They aren't so bad once you get to know them. Mine is a gamer.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Apr 9 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 9 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Gah, i'd rather not involve one of THOSE things x.x . .

What, Lawyers? Or particularly copyright lawyers?

Either way, too late. At least two copyright lawyers have already been consulted. Although as I understand the purpose of this thread is to discuss the Problem of Induction, we can now speculate as to whether the fact that they have been consulted means that they are involved or not right now, or will be in the future. That's a sticky question, since as I understand it, all the Colemans have to do is just stop talking to said Lawyers and they retroactively become uninvolved since the last consultation. While if they talk to them again in the future, then the Lawyers in question become involved for the entire period between the two consults.

This is because while we think of Lawyer involvement as being a continuous thing over a crisis, it is actually composed of a finite series of discreet events.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Wandering One
post Apr 9 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,276

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Apr 9 2010, 11:43 AM) *
[snip]

This is because while we think of Lawyer involvement as being a continuous thing over a crisis, it is actually composed of a finite series of discreet events.

-Frank

Yes, but since those finite events cover recent history and foreseeable future, and should normally have overlap, we could say it covers an arc. Does that make the use of lawyers actually circular or simply a thousand sided polyhedron?

+Quote Post
The Dragon Girl
post Apr 9 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,410

QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 9 2010, 01:14 PM) *
Except for Fisty. He's a vampire. And the only time he sparkles in the sun is when he explodes into dust. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So, to recap the thread so far:

Lone STar Cops riding Cybord Unicorns.

Oh, and some pointless bickering, rumor mongering, and accusations. I'm hoping they'll go away and we can just talk about more of teh silly stuff for a while.

Bull

..swimsuit calendar? Y'know that actually sounds pretty wiz..

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Apr 9 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #18

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 9 2010, 01:58 PM) *
..swimsuit calendar? Y'know that actually sounds pretty wiz..

Not with the folks they want posing in it

+Quote Post
krainboltgreene
post Apr 9 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #19

Target

Group: New Member Probation
Member No.: 18,313

Remember #3, Data. It's Commander Riker's choice!

This is a pretty interesting tactic. Keep cutting the threads when the real discussion gets half way, starting a new thread, and then having Bull post off topic things that derail any new discussion.

This post has been edited by krainboltgreene: Apr 9 2010, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
The Dragon Girl
post Apr 9 2010, 07:14 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,410

QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Apr 9 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Not with the folks they want posing in it

Now you've got me curious: who?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Apr 9 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #21

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (krainboltgreene @ Apr 9 2010, 03:06 PM) *
Remember #3, Data. It's Commander Riker's choice!

This is a pretty interesting tactic. Keep cutting the threads when the real discussion gets half way, starting a new thread, and then having Bull post off topic things that derail any new discussion.

I try. I hate wading through combative, argumentative posts hoping to read something useful, for one. And for two, I prefer fun discussions of things like how to do up a Totem/Mentor Spirit for a Cartoon Shaman or creating the Spider-Man Physad, or at least helping new GMs or players learn the rules, than I do discussing and arguing minor nuances of the rules, or weird misinterpretations of the rules based on how you read a phrase.

It's a game. It's fun. THis is an extension of that game. It should be fun.

Lately, a lot of this talk? Very much not fun.

And further discussion and crying doom and gloom? Very, very not fun.

Bull

+Quote Post
SecGuard
post Apr 9 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 18,323

QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 9 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Trust me you don't wanna know, there's not enough eye bleach in the world to remove the mental images.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Apr 9 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #23

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 9 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Well the "Bull in a thong" topic from last time I think is what killed it

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Apr 9 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Apr 9 2010, 12:14 PM) *

I think Bull, Adam, and Eidolon are being thought of as the cover models.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Apr 9 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Is it perhaps a novel idea to have people who work or have worked on the site directly to only post on-topic material?

If you don't have anything on-topic to say, you could refrain from saying anything at all. Or you could go post on any other thread.

It undermines morale for people who have access or have had access to mod post coloring to flagrantly be posting off-topic materials with the expressed intent of sending threads into off-topic death spirals.

-Frank

+Quote Post

31 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.