IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Witch Characters, Has anyone played one?
Mana Child
post Feb 16 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,027

I was wondering whether anyone has made one before and how they went about making one spell, skill, priority, stats etc wise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,110

QUOTE (Mana Child)
I was wondering whether anyone has made one before and how they went about making one spell, skill, priority, stats etc wise.

:noflame: Anyone remember the results the last time this genre was discussed? Then again, that was in the days of the lounge, when some people thrived on drama and controversy.
I hope this thread fares better than the other one.
I'd like to see how some people might flesh this out.

+Quote Post
Mana Child
post Feb 16 2004, 06:01 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

why what happened last time? i wasnt around then on dumpshock :P

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 16 2004, 06:10 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

IIRC, it decayed into a debate of Wicca, "Real Witchcraft", stereotypical witchcraft, and a half dozen other things that people could assume by the term "witch."

Then it went downhill.

+Quote Post
Hecatonchires
post Feb 16 2004, 06:16 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,050

Umm... wouldn't witches be shamans with totems reflecting the Wiccan god(s)? Seems pretty basic to me.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mana Child)
why what happened last time? i wasnt around then on dumpshock :P

Yeah. Just a hunch, but did you maybe join sometime in the month of january? :D

And for my next trick...

Herald of Verjigorm
IIRC, it decayed into a debate of Wicca, "Real Witchcraft", stereotypical witchcraft, and a half dozen other things that people could assume by the term "witch."

Then it went downhill.
Yup, YRC.
Then it went downhill.
Understatement ++

MC, to answer your post, though I would say it's like creating any other magic using character. Basically it's all about how your character views/explains their talents. You can dress up magic in different costumes, but ultimately it has generally the same in-game effect. Roleplaying these explanations, though is where the difference comes in.

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 06:19 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

(fails will power roll to resist making a crack about Vanilla Ice's song where he mentions "Cooking MC's like a pound of bacon")

+Quote Post
Mana Child
post Feb 16 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

I dont believe in witchcraft in real life at all.
I was genuinely asking how youd make one. Via skills etc.
Note that this potential character is also of good alignment.

+Quote Post
Mana Child
post Feb 16 2004, 08:05 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

also i didnt mean witch witch per see,

i meant witch style character.
the character was seen as a witch becuase of her talents sorta thing.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Feb 16 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

But magic is pretty common in Shadowrun, and the major world religions have all had time to adjust to its presense and revise their theology to account for/explain it. The only places you'd run into the old "Burn the witch!" reaction would be in very backwards communities.

If you are talking about style of magic, a witch/wiccan would definitely be shamanic, since, like Voudoun and Rastafarians, their magic is part of their religion. You wouldn't need any new rules, though. Just pick a totem that fits (MITS has more that would fit the wiccan mold, although I could see a wiccan following some of the basic book Totems like rat, mouse, owl, etc.).

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 08:29 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mana Child @ Feb 16 2004, 08:03 AM)
I dont believe in witchcraft in real life at all.
I was genuinely asking how youd make one. Via skills etc.
Note that this potential character is also of good alignment.

[Devil's Advocate]Well, I don't believe in Snake Handling, but some people do, and I imagine they react poorly to sterotyping just like people who believe in the Wiccan traditions. I'm not saying either is good or bad, just explaining how the last thread devolved.[/Devil's Advocate]

"Good Alignment" ??? Is that a new edge? :grinbig:

Good Alignment: Character can run in a straight line for miles. Never needs cyber leg rotation or balancing.

Mana Child
also i didnt mean witch witch per see,

Well then, which witch do you mean? :rollin:

Mana Child

i meant witch style character.
the character was seen as a witch becuase of her talents sorta thing.

In all seriousness, to answer your question as I think I understand it, I would say to create a "witch character" you would give the character aspects and qualities that you identify with that type of person, right? My hunch is some people are going to have a different concept in mind than you might.

Glyph
The only places you'd run into the old "Burn the witch!" reaction would be in very backwards communities.
++

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 16 2004, 08:33 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 185

Just for the record, Wiccan's (often referred to as Witches) follow a one of the many variations of the religion known as Wicca. In SR the various sects (no negative connotation implied) include both hermetic and shamanic practioners (most commonly Idol-followers rather than Totemic).

However there are also Witches that practice Witchcraft, which to put it in its simplist terms is a hybrid magical tradition mixing Hermeticism, Judaico-Christian ritual and symbolism, midwife lore, herbalism, divination, pre-Celtic paganism and a bunch of other influences (essentially the pre-20th century Street Mage or Chaos magician in SR terms).

As a rule of thumb the big difference between the two is that Wicca is ultimately a religion and belief system, while Witchcraft is a magical tradition (whose practionners most of the time subscribe to one religion or another independently of their Art). There are other distinguishing differences between their symbols and beliefs but the deal-breaker is essentially the belief/faith aspect.

While in America the divide isn't as clear, in Europe things are different. Their MOs are completely different: Witchcraft practionners are the ones you go to on the sly to put a hex or spell on someone, to read your fortune in the cards or tea, to prepare an elixir or concoction to harm/cure/protect/draw customers; many run "consultation" services (this might be an old woman in a backwater village working out of her living room or a new-age style witch sitting in a fancy room in 4 bedroom flat downtown charging 500$ per hour). These types are especially common in Southern, Central and Eastern Europe and most haven't got the slightest idea what a Wiccan is or does...

Wiccans, over here, are closer to the new age stereotype than they would like us to believe in both style and symbolism. They share ground with Neo-Druidics and smaller Pagan and Revised Classical sects/denominations, but in general would think any of the practices I outlined above for "Witchcraft witches" as abhorrent and as a debasing the Power (sorry, couldn't find a better word).

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Synner)
Just for the record, Wiccan's (often referred to as Witches) follow a one of the many variations of the religion known as Wicca. In SR the various sects (no negative connotation implied) include both hermetic and shamanic practioners (most commonly Idol-followers rather than Totemic).

However there are also Witches that practice Witchcraft, which to put it in its simplist terms is a hybrid magical tradition mixing Hermeticism, Judaico-Christian ritual and symbolism, midwife lore, herbalism, divination, pre-Celtic paganism and a bunch of other influences (essentially the pre-20th century Street Mage or Chaos magician in SR terms).

As a rule of thumb the big difference between the two is that Wicca is ultimately a religion and belief system, while Witchcraft is a magical tradition (whose practionners most of the time subscribe to one religion or another independently of their Art). Their are other distinguishing differences between their symbols and beliefs but the deal-breaker is essentially the belief/faith aspect.

While in America the divide isn't as clear, in Europe things are different. Their MOs are completely different: Witchcraft practionners are the ones you go to on the sly to put a hex or spell on someone, to read your fortune in the cards or tea, to prepare an elixir or concoction to harm/cure/protect/draw customers; many run "consultation" services (this might be an old woman in a backwater town working out of her living room or a new-age style witch sitting in a fancy room in 4 bedroom flat downtown charging 500$ per hour).

Wiccans, over here, are closer to the new age stereotype than they would like us to believe in both style and symbolism. They share ground with Neo-Druidics and smaller Pagan and Revised Classical sects/denominations, but in general would think any of the practices I outlined above for "Witchcraft witches" as abhorrent and as a debasing the Power (sorry, couldn't find a better word).

Thanks for helping clear up the misconception :oops:

You seem pretty knowledgable on the subject, can I ask where did you glean your experience?

+Quote Post
Hecatonchires
post Feb 16 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,050

So... I was right. Awesome.

When I think of witch I think warts and brooms and lots of black, with pointy hats of course. I know this is going to invite a mountain of scorn from any of our "New Age" posters but I can only blame Hollywood and Terry Pratchett novels for my pre-conceived notions.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Feb 16 2004, 08:47 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 185

The short answer is "researching for SoE"...

But in truth this kind of thing is a hobby for me. I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as say Arcanum V, but I do like to explore the fringes and lesser-known magical traditions and religions of the real world. In this particular case I had it easy because there are a huge number of "Witchcraft" witches in Portugal, while Wiccans are almost unknown. In this country for instance, it isn't uncommon to see these Witches go to Mass every Sunday and deck their consultation rooms in Catholic motifs. Most of them have little or no idea what Wicca is or believes in.

Note - As I said, it's a hobby, don't even get me started on the differences between Hermeticism and Christian and Orthodox Theurgy or between Celtic and Pre-Celtic Druidism.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Feb 16 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #16

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Okay, I think we have a D20 refugee here.

To answer your question-- in Shadowrun, a mage is a mage is a mage. They're all created in similar fashions, with different "dressings" attached. Some rules change; but in general, you'd create a witch like any other magician. There's no difference between a fireball cast by a hermetic mage, one cast by a witch, or one cast by a cleric of a given faith.

Now, you haven't given us too much to work with. As others have pointed out, a witch can mean pointy-hat-and-warts type (which would be effectively a hermetic mage-- the mechanistic approach to spellcasting and commanding elementals is more hermetic than not); a traditional Wiccan (who would be a shaman, preferably of an Idol totem-- Great Mother or Moon Maiden are the best candidates); or a New-age crystal-waver (who would probably be a shaman, of any totem). Until we know which one you're aiming for, we can't help you out too much.

Other than that-- you're probably looking at a Magic Priority A character, with high Sorcery and Conjuring skills, as well as Enchanting. Since those skills are good for any full mage, you really can't go wrong on this track.

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Feb 16 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #17

The Sewer Jockey

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,197

QUOTE (Cain)
...or one cast by a cleric of a given faith...

Careful boss, methinks you might be on the verge of being corrupted... one more reference like that and I'm afraid I'll have to report you to the D&D police...

(don't worry - I've been in their cells plenty of times myself!)

[Begin Movie Madness]

To MC: Don't forget to make sure your familiar has the forms of:

1: Black Cat
2: Crow
3: Reed Broomstick
4: Shambling monstrosity composed of various human detritus and/or large "traditional" movie style demon. This form is specifically for the "scaring the crap out of the villagers™" routine.

[end movie madness]

Although wicca is a fairly well defined magico-religious system, don't forget that their are a number of other similar systems you can utilise - all it takes is research. What you might consider, though, is to make use of pop-culture.
I know that this goes against the grain, but think of all the SR references to perception influencing reality. If you want to make a working magical character based of a Buffy-esque witch, then do so - the magic is the point, not the fluff, and so long as it works, then that's fine - which book cited a reference to someone who had a large 20th century blue superhero (SPOON!) as a totem? Just do what thou will...

If witchcraft is your thing, and you're using the British hermeticism route (that's pretty local to me) then think cauldron, athame (ritual blade), maybe a little crystallomancy and various other bits... I'll see if I can find my books for more - I know I lent them to a uni-student studying the effects of religious and paranormal experiences or some such drek...

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Feb 16 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,740

MitS has rules for Witchcraft as a magical tradition.

+Quote Post
post Feb 16 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,663

I'm actaully pretty interested in the more role-playing aspects.

I've got this contact that I'm running that is supposed to be a Bostonian Witch (because the area is more European influenced)

I mean, this is the wicca sort of thing, where it is actually her religion. I don't care about the rules mechanics(because they are essentially the same), perhaps a few knowledge skills to more full her out. She is a some-what important NPC, contact, person. So I have a bit on her.

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Feb 16 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

A "Witch" in my mind would probably know about ritual magic, herbs, and almost definitely British Isles Folklore. Candle magic, maybe?

Just bein' kinda stream-of-consciousness, here.

+Quote Post
post Feb 16 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,663

Hmmmmm, candle magic.

I have NO (sorry about yelling) idea what candle magic is.

Do you burn people with the candle. I believe that is called combustion, and is actually quite scientific, and not very magical at all. (Was supposed to be a joke, but probably sucked.)

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Feb 16 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (252)
Hmmmmm, candle magic.

I have NO (sorry about yelling) idea what candle magic is.

Do you burn people with the candle. I believe that is called combustion, and is actually quite scientific, and not very magical at all. (Was supposed to be a joke, but probably sucked.)

A lot of witches practice candle magic, which is a sort of sympathetic magic done with candles. (Wow!) What they do is take a candle of a particular color, carve symbols into it, annoint it with herbs or oils (all of these symbolically related to the spell they're casting) and then visualize their goal as they are lighting it and burning it. The thought is that as the candle burns, their magic will be done.

+Quote Post
Aidley
post Feb 16 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,005

okay, guys, i have an EASY way to settle this. Get the latest copy of NSRCG. Create a magic user. Choose the 'wicca' path/totem for your character. voila, you have your witch.

and if I see one more f*cking 'witch/wicca = good/bad' post, I swear I'm going to start posting in character. You remember that satyr poledancer?

now behave, and go post your religious posts on a religious board, and save this place for gamer geekery.

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Feb 16 2004, 03:46 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

WITCHES?! O_O

YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL!

(Sarcasm brought to you by someone who was written up in 8th grade for having a book on Wicca)

+Quote Post
Shanshu Freeman
post Feb 16 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aidley @ Feb 16 2004, 03:40 PM)

and if I see one more f*cking 'witch/wicca = good/bad' post,  I swear I'm going to start posting in character. You remember that satyr poledancer?

Now this I gotta see!

Umm "I say, fellows, <insert value judgement here.>" </Stewie from Family Guy, voice>

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.