IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where are the rules for concealed cyberguns?
Banaticus
post May 8 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,574

Where are the rules for concealed cyberguns? You know, the kind of thing that pops our from a cyberlimb.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 8 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Cyber-implant weapons start on page 344 of SR4A and AFAIK follow all the normal rules for weapons of the appropriate type.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 8 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Guns in a cyber holster or a cyber arm slide take a Perception + Intuition (4) Test to spot.

The cyberimplant guns are hidden and made of non-metallic compounds. When it says they become obvious after a clip is slotted, it implies that they're at *least* as hidden as the holstered or slide-mounted weapons, no? When you're using the internal magazine that all cyberguns have, it sounds like they're wholly concealed.

For that matter, they don't 'pop out', they just fire through the palm, or the hand swings away from the wrist. Very sneaky.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 8 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

I think it's more cinematic to have some sort of gun pop out of the arm on hydraulics, fire, then slide back inside. Something like Robocop's concealed leg holster would be cool too.

Anyway, the concealability of a regular cybergun opens up new concerns. If a runner has a cyberarm, it's not enough to have him hand over his pistols, he might still have a gun in there. You'd have to do a very careful x-ray scan looking for a hand port or a little bullet shape somewhere in his arm. If he's covered over the port and doesn't mind taking some pain by blowing through his real skin after the metallic port in his hand opens underneath the skin, then it'd be very difficult to detect. I can see a paranoid mob boss not letting a character with a cyberlimb into his presence.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 8 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Banaticus @ May 7 2010, 11:39 PM) *
I think it's more cinematic to have some sort of gun pop out of the arm on hydraulics, fire, then slide back inside. Something like Robocop's concealed leg holster would be cool too.

And here I was thinking it was super cinematic to have a rocket shooting out of your kneecap or something. There is a scene in the first FMA that demonstrates that rather well when he fights the girl with two automail legs.
Anyway, the concealability of a regular cybergun opens up new concerns. If a runner has a cyberarm, it's not enough to have him hand over his pistols, he might still have a gun in there. You'd have to do a very careful x-ray scan looking for a hand port or a little bullet shape somewhere in his arm. If he's covered over the port and doesn't mind taking some pain by blowing through his real skin after the metallic port in his hand opens underneath the skin, then it'd be very difficult to detect. I can see a paranoid mob boss not letting a character with a cyberlimb into his presence.

Very true, especially given that you can't generally x-ray a person thanks to x-rays being somewhat on the dangerous side, and so unlikely to be used on people (willingly).

Also, what are you talking about real skin? Cyberarms and legs lack real skin, or even synthetic skin for that mater.

I'd think the paranoid mob boss would be more likely to simply have a bodyguard stand on either side and just in front of him to take the bullet, and a half dozen other guards with weapons trained on anyone with a cyberlimb who therefore might be carrying a concealed weapon.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 8 2010, 04:50 AM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

That's true. They've got cyberware scanners for a reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 8 2010, 04:51 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 7 2010, 11:50 PM) *
That's true. They've got cyberware scanners for a reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That too.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 8 2010, 04:53 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Karoline @ May 7 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Also, what are you talking about real skin? Cyberarms and legs lack real skin, or even synthetic skin for that mater.

Actually, Synthetic Limbs have actual Synthetic Skin covering the works... which is why they are called... Synthetic... they are not obvious...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 8 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

I think he meant that you can get a cybergun in a meat limb. If you're crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 8 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 7 2010, 09:54 PM) *
I think he meant that you can get a cybergun in a meat limb. If you're crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Very Crazy Indeed... they have essence costs, so it is possible...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 8 2010, 04:56 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 7 2010, 11:53 PM) *
Actually, Synthetic Limbs have actual Synthetic Skin covering the works... which is why they are called... Synthetic... they are not obvious...

Keep the Faith

Ah, I'd always kind of wondered about that. I thought it was more that they were smoother, sleaker, and looked more like a metahuman arm instead of being big and bulky and oddly shaped so it looked real under clothing and such. Still, the addition of some synthetic skin doesn't surprise me any.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 8 2010, 05:01 AM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

I think it's all good under clothing. Synthetics have pink plasti-rubber. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Bleh.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post May 8 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 7 2010, 11:56 PM) *
Very Crazy Indeed... they have essence costs, so it is possible...

Yeah, although in SR2, they didn't. FASA had compiled a few pages of Sourcebook Updates to include in the back of the SR2 core rulebook to bring all the SR1 material in line with the new edition. The updates for the Street Samurai Catalog included the line, "Cyberguns no longer cost essence. Merry Christmas." However, the fact that the associated artwork showed a cross section of a meat arm with an implanted gun lead a lot of players to miss the part of the item description that said it was "designed for installation in a cyberarm". So they later added essence costs back, and clarified that Christmas is only for people who apply the cyberlimb built-in-device rules to guns.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post May 8 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 8 2010, 06:54 AM) *

Or if you find a delta clinic. - Been there, done that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post May 8 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

One question I have about cyberguns, is that they're automatically smartguns, according to SR4 (don't know which page, AFB) but Laser Sights are available.

As for External Clip Ports making the gun obvious, I would say that the clip sticking out of your wrist would be obvious, but that's all they would see.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 8 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ May 8 2010, 10:44 AM) *
As for External Clip Ports making the gun obvious, I would say that the clip sticking out of your wrist would be obvious, but that's all they would see.

Er, yes. The ammo clip sticking out of your wrist makes it obvious that there is a gun hidden in your arm.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 8 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 8 2010, 01:11 PM) *
Er, yes. The ammo clip sticking out of your wrist makes it obvious that there is a gun hidden in your arm.

No, it's totally the latest fashion craze. Don't you know anything about fashion? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 8 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #18

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

I totally want Barret's arm from Advent Children.

Three miniguns surrounding a central beam rifle, all apparently hidden inside his normal sized arm when not in use.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 8 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #19

Runner

I can beat that: Vash's Angel Arm from Trigun. Full stop.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 8 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #20

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Yeah, but he's some funky plant guy.

+Quote Post
Banaticus
post May 8 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Karoline @ May 8 2010, 09:53 AM) *
No, it's totally the latest fashion craze. Don't you know anything about fashion? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

True, it's a lot cheaper to just glue a clip to your wrist than it is to get an actual gun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post May 8 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 8 2010, 06:11 PM) *

"No, Officer, it's a giant watch!"

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 9 2010, 02:34 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ May 8 2010, 06:37 PM) *
"No, Officer, it's a giant watch!"

Would your everyday layman even know what the heck a watch is? Even now a days not alot of (young) people have a watch because they always have their cell phone to tell the time.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 9 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, it's only when the clip is slotted that it's obvious.

+Quote Post
Minchandre
post May 9 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,468

QUOTE (Karoline @ May 8 2010, 11:53 AM) *

I'm totally doing this in the next game I run (coming up, actually). It's a game for SR virgins, so I think having fake ammo clips sticking out of your wrist will be precisely the right fashion among the street folks and corp kiddies; it should help give a feeling for the setting. Does the guy holding you up with a clip coming out of his wrist and his hand pointed at you actually have a gun, or is he just bluffing?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 08:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.