IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Sci-Fi book ever to be filmed., Hint: This is a gibson novel...
Starmage21
post May 26 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,448

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/greatest-sci-...y-be-filmed.php
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner667
post May 26 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

They've been saying the same things for 10+ years

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post May 26 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

I'll believe it when I see the trailer

+Quote Post
Starglyte
post May 26 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,317

Wasn't Joseph Kahn susposed to direct it a couple of years ago?

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post May 26 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I hear ya, Rockso. Once I see an official trailer, then I can grouse.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 26 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Really? Neuromancer? Really? I mean it's subjective and I'll admit my admiration for Gibson's work has cooled as I've gotten older but who in their right mind calls it the Greatest Sci fi novel ever?

+Quote Post
Kid Chameleon
post May 26 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,315

The writer-director of Splice? I probably won't see that movie until its on the Scy-Fy channel, so I don't know that's a ringing endorsement.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post May 27 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

* Some people consider William Gibson's Neuromancer—about a hacker going on missions in cyberspace and dealing with artificial intelligence—the greatest science fiction novel ever.

Getting shot with a gun will cause you to be blown back at least 10 feet*.

*some people think that guns cause the person getting shot to fly back when hit.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 27 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Kid Chameleon @ May 26 2010, 05:30 PM) *
The writer-director of Splice? I probably won't see that movie until its on the Scy-Fy channel, so I don't know that's a ringing endorsement.

This. IMO, a Neuromancer movie is a better fit for someone like Martin Scorsese, since it's basically a gangster film. Also, they had better not gut the character of Molly like in the Johnny Mnemonic movie, or there will be blood. Oh yes, there will be blood.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post May 27 2010, 02:11 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 26 2010, 10:51 PM) *
This. IMO, a Neuromancer movie is a better fit for someone like Martin Scorsese, since it's basically a gangster film. Also, they had better not gut the character of Molly like in the Johnny Mnemonic movie, or there will be blood. Oh yes, there will be blood.

Two words: Noomi Rapace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
10gauge
post May 27 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 12,510

Can't be any better than Blade Runner. Todays big movies tend to be a commercial pain in the ass.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post May 27 2010, 03:16 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Unfortunately, The greatest Science Fiction book ever written had a horrible movie made from it... Where the book is simply outstanding, with major plots running all over the place, teh movie was so horrible that the entire movie going public panned it...

From the Back of the book...

"Think of the 'Star Wars' Sagas, and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' mix in the triumph of 'Rocky I,' 'Rocky II,' 'Rocky III,' and 'Rocky IV' and you have captured the exuberance, Style and Glory of 'Battlefield Earth.'

In my opinion, There is none Better (But the movie blew great big chunks)...

PS: Neuromancer is good, but there are SO many others out there that I just cannot get on board with it being the Best Sci-Fi Ever... R. Heinlein, I. Asimov, E.E. Smith, A.C. Clark, and E.R. Burroughs are so much better in my opinion... Though I will say that Neuromancer was interesting and was the beginning of a whole new genre...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
imperialus
post May 27 2010, 03:33 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

I'm not even sure I'd say Nuromancer was the best Cyberpunk book ever... I think I'd have to hand that one to Snowcrash. Possibly The Electric Church.

All Nuromancer really has going for it is the 'invention of the genre' though even that should honestly go to Philip K. Dick.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 27 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (JongWK @ May 26 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Two words: Noomi Rapace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

I understand she's excellent in the original Swedish film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven't seen it. You think she'd make a good Molly, I take it.

+Quote Post
knasser
post May 27 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #15

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I'll admit it's a while since I read it, but I don't really get why Neuromancer is considered by some to be so great. Serious question - why do [you] rate it so highly? What is great about it?

K.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post May 27 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

I'm not sure if I liked Neuromancer that much. I like the plot in Count Zero a lot better, more Shadowrun style. Maybe because I read a translated version of the former? Couldn't understand the words they used for technical psi-fi terms.

I actually liked Johnny Mnemonics movie.... despite the annoying dolphin. Anyone recommend the book?

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post May 27 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Wasn't Johnny Mnemonic just a short story? Or maybe some sort of very short novella? I remember having it as a txt but never reading it... but it was short.

Overall... if they want to pump out money for something awesome i would rather see Snowcrash. It is just ridiculous funny/awesome/strange. Neuromancer is fine too, but it doesn't have the BESAZZLE (just make up the definition of that word yourself).

+Quote Post
Neraph
post May 27 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ May 27 2010, 12:39 AM) *
BESAZZLE

V.

1) To awe and inspire.
2) To attach glittery sparkles to something worn.
3) To greatly outwit someone in song or dance.
4) Being able to always point out True North.
5) Being able to perform all of the above without giving any onlookers the idea you are gay (unless, of course, you are gay and are not ashamed of it).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post May 27 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ May 27 2010, 02:06 AM) *
I actually liked Johnny Mnemonics movie.... despite the annoying dolphin. Anyone recommend the book?

You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic. The original short story can be found in the anthology Burning Chrome. Go buy it, heathen.

+Quote Post
Method
post May 27 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #20

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 02:37 AM) *
You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic.

I'm going to assume that this is sarcasm and that you intended to put a smiley in there somewhere, otherwise it looks a little flammable...

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 27 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #21

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ May 27 2010, 12:06 AM) *
I'm not sure if I liked Neuromancer that much. I like the plot in Count Zero a lot better, more Shadowrun style. Maybe because I read a translated version of the former? Couldn't understand the words they used for technical psi-fi terms.

Molly Millions, Mirror Shades, out of all the Gibson writing to choose from, Johnny Mnemonic must be first, and if you read only one, then it is the only one.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 27 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #22

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 26 2010, 11:47 PM) *
I understand she's excellent in the original Swedish film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven't seen it. You think she'd make a good Molly, I take it.

I highly recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and she would make an excellent Molly Millions. Though not if she fights like the scene in the movie. But in terms of presence definitely.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post May 27 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #23

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (10gauge @ May 26 2010, 08:14 PM) *
Can't be any better than Blade Runner. Todays big movies tend to be a commercial pain in the ass.

This is the best one I've seen so far.

+Quote Post
deek
post May 27 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Its been a while since I've read Neuromancer as well. But, I do remember not thinking it was all that great. Maybe its because I read it after playing years of Shadowrun and already having an idea of cyberpunk...

As for Johnny Mneumonic...I still love the movie. Maybe its because I first saw it when I was in high school and it was the first point of contact for anything in that genre (maybe I'd have a greater appreciation for Neuromancer if it was my first contact). It was new to me and regardless of the acting or poor adaptation (never read the short story, so can't really compare), I enjoyed the movie.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 27 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #25

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 03:37 AM) *
You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic. The original short story can be found in the anthology Burning Chrome. Go buy it, heathen.

Eh, JM was a fun movie.

I dunno what it had to do with the written story, but watching Keanu act badly was giggle worthy.

Plus Dolph was clearly having fun with his character.

And the movie resulted in a ton of bad quotes for use in gaming sessions and many other geek related activities.

"I WANT ROOM SERVICE."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.