Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Sci-Fi book ever to be filmed.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Synner667
They've been saying the same things for 10+ years
Dr.Rockso
I'll believe it when I see the trailer
Starglyte
Wasn't Joseph Kahn susposed to direct it a couple of years ago?
BookWyrm
I hear ya, Rockso. Once I see an official trailer, then I can grouse.
LurkerOutThere
Really? Neuromancer? Really? I mean it's subjective and I'll admit my admiration for Gibson's work has cooled as I've gotten older but who in their right mind calls it the Greatest Sci fi novel ever?
Kid Chameleon
The writer-director of Splice? I probably won't see that movie until its on the Scy-Fy channel, so I don't know that's a ringing endorsement.
Karoline
* Some people consider William Gibson's Neuromancer—about a hacker going on missions in cyberspace and dealing with artificial intelligence—the greatest science fiction novel ever.

Getting shot with a gun will cause you to be blown back at least 10 feet*.

*some people think that guns cause the person getting shot to fly back when hit.

nyahnyah.gif
Tanegar
QUOTE (Kid Chameleon @ May 26 2010, 05:30 PM) *
The writer-director of Splice? I probably won't see that movie until its on the Scy-Fy channel, so I don't know that's a ringing endorsement.

This. IMO, a Neuromancer movie is a better fit for someone like Martin Scorsese, since it's basically a gangster film. Also, they had better not gut the character of Molly like in the Johnny Mnemonic movie, or there will be blood. Oh yes, there will be blood.
JongWK
QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 26 2010, 10:51 PM) *
This. IMO, a Neuromancer movie is a better fit for someone like Martin Scorsese, since it's basically a gangster film. Also, they had better not gut the character of Molly like in the Johnny Mnemonic movie, or there will be blood. Oh yes, there will be blood.

Two words: Noomi Rapace cyber.gif
10gauge
Can't be any better than Blade Runner. Todays big movies tend to be a commercial pain in the ass.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Unfortunately, The greatest Science Fiction book ever written had a horrible movie made from it... Where the book is simply outstanding, with major plots running all over the place, teh movie was so horrible that the entire movie going public panned it...

From the Back of the book...

"Think of the 'Star Wars' Sagas, and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' mix in the triumph of 'Rocky I,' 'Rocky II,' 'Rocky III,' and 'Rocky IV' and you have captured the exuberance, Style and Glory of 'Battlefield Earth.'

In my opinion, There is none Better (But the movie blew great big chunks)...

PS: Neuromancer is good, but there are SO many others out there that I just cannot get on board with it being the Best Sci-Fi Ever... R. Heinlein, I. Asimov, E.E. Smith, A.C. Clark, and E.R. Burroughs are so much better in my opinion... Though I will say that Neuromancer was interesting and was the beginning of a whole new genre...

Keep the Faith
imperialus
I'm not even sure I'd say Nuromancer was the best Cyberpunk book ever... I think I'd have to hand that one to Snowcrash. Possibly The Electric Church.

All Nuromancer really has going for it is the 'invention of the genre' though even that should honestly go to Philip K. Dick.
Tanegar
QUOTE (JongWK @ May 26 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Two words: Noomi Rapace cyber.gif

I understand she's excellent in the original Swedish film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven't seen it. You think she'd make a good Molly, I take it.
knasser
I'll admit it's a while since I read it, but I don't really get why Neuromancer is considered by some to be so great. Serious question - why do [you] rate it so highly? What is great about it?

K.
FriendoftheDork
I'm not sure if I liked Neuromancer that much. I like the plot in Count Zero a lot better, more Shadowrun style. Maybe because I read a translated version of the former? Couldn't understand the words they used for technical psi-fi terms.

I actually liked Johnny Mnemonics movie.... despite the annoying dolphin. Anyone recommend the book?
Summerstorm
Wasn't Johnny Mnemonic just a short story? Or maybe some sort of very short novella? I remember having it as a txt but never reading it... but it was short.

Overall... if they want to pump out money for something awesome i would rather see Snowcrash. It is just ridiculous funny/awesome/strange. Neuromancer is fine too, but it doesn't have the BESAZZLE (just make up the definition of that word yourself).
Neraph
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ May 27 2010, 12:39 AM) *
BESAZZLE

V.

1) To awe and inspire.
2) To attach glittery sparkles to something worn.
3) To greatly outwit someone in song or dance.
4) Being able to always point out True North.
5) Being able to perform all of the above without giving any onlookers the idea you are gay (unless, of course, you are gay and are not ashamed of it).
Tanegar
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ May 27 2010, 02:06 AM) *
I actually liked Johnny Mnemonics movie.... despite the annoying dolphin. Anyone recommend the book?

You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic. The original short story can be found in the anthology Burning Chrome. Go buy it, heathen.
Method
QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 02:37 AM) *
You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic.

I'm going to assume that this is sarcasm and that you intended to put a smiley in there somewhere, otherwise it looks a little flammable...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ May 27 2010, 12:06 AM) *
I'm not sure if I liked Neuromancer that much. I like the plot in Count Zero a lot better, more Shadowrun style. Maybe because I read a translated version of the former? Couldn't understand the words they used for technical psi-fi terms.

Molly Millions, Mirror Shades, out of all the Gibson writing to choose from, Johnny Mnemonic must be first, and if you read only one, then it is the only one.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 26 2010, 11:47 PM) *
I understand she's excellent in the original Swedish film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven't seen it. You think she'd make a good Molly, I take it.

I highly recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and she would make an excellent Molly Millions. Though not if she fights like the scene in the movie. But in terms of presence definitely.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (10gauge @ May 26 2010, 08:14 PM) *
Can't be any better than Blade Runner. Todays big movies tend to be a commercial pain in the ass.

This is the best one I've seen so far.
deek
Its been a while since I've read Neuromancer as well. But, I do remember not thinking it was all that great. Maybe its because I read it after playing years of Shadowrun and already having an idea of cyberpunk...

As for Johnny Mneumonic...I still love the movie. Maybe its because I first saw it when I was in high school and it was the first point of contact for anything in that genre (maybe I'd have a greater appreciation for Neuromancer if it was my first contact). It was new to me and regardless of the acting or poor adaptation (never read the short story, so can't really compare), I enjoyed the movie.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 03:37 AM) *
You are an utterly worthless excuse for a human being for liking the slop that was the so-called film adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic. The original short story can be found in the anthology Burning Chrome. Go buy it, heathen.

Eh, JM was a fun movie.

I dunno what it had to do with the written story, but watching Keanu act badly was giggle worthy.

Plus Dolph was clearly having fun with his character.

And the movie resulted in a ton of bad quotes for use in gaming sessions and many other geek related activities.

"I WANT ROOM SERVICE."

QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 10:37 AM) *

Bah it had all the elements of a Cyberpunk game. Monowhip, cybered up madman, having ridiculous low amounts of brain data storage, ghost in the machine, wacky wired reflexes, evil japacorp+yakuza, lowtechies fighting the MAN... even a "second rising" terminator parody.

I don't really know any other film that is so similar to Shadowrun.

Cheers,

Worthless Excuse for a Human Being.
LurkerOutThere
Put me in the worthless human being camp as well. It was certainly not high cinema but I like it all the same. It's been quite a while since i read burning Chrome but honestly Starship troopers wins the award for worst adaption of a literary piece, Battlefield Earth might contend but I havn't read the novel or seen the movie so I can't comment.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 27 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Put me in the worthless human being camp as well. It was certainly not high cinema but I like it all the same. It's been quite a while since i read burning Chrome but honestly Starship troopers wins the award for worst adaption of a literary piece, Battlefield Earth might contend but I havn't read the novel or seen the movie so I can't comment.

Starship troopers was a fun movie I think. Of course the director hated the original book and made pretty much a parody, but a fun one all the same.

Battlefield Earth: The movie was kinda horrible. Well if anything, it was bland. I've never read the book to compare.
Nath
Within Burning Chrome, "New Rose Hotel" always was my favorite, so, no matter what, I will always retain some fondness for the Ferrara movie with Walken and Dafoe, even if it doesn't have enough guns and bombs to please the audience. Even more so because it features the best line ever for a runner negotiating with Mr. Johnson...

"We can make this complicated or we can make it simple. Simple means blood. Complicated means money. What we're going to recommend is complicated."
bellis
The best science fiction novel of all time has already been made into a film, and the film was AWESOME. It was called Dune.

That's right, I said David Lynch's Dune was GOOD AS HELL. Who wants to be a hero?!?!?!?!?!
Synner667
QUOTE (bellis @ May 27 2010, 11:48 PM) *
The best science fiction novel of all time has already been made into a film, and the film was AWESOME. It was called Dune.

That's right, I said David Lynch's Dune was GOOD AS HELL. Who wants to be a hero?!?!?!?!?!

Shame that of the 40 hours they scripted and filmed, they only gave us less than 1/10th.
Tanegar
I also love David Lynch's Dune movie. IMO it captures the feel of the book much better than the Sci Fi Channel miniseries.
bellis
QUOTE (Synner667 @ May 27 2010, 11:54 PM) *
Shame that of the 40 hours they scripted and filmed, they only gave us less than 1/10th.

In the Lynch version? Or are you talking about the scrapped Jodorowsky version?
Synner667
QUOTE (bellis @ May 27 2010, 11:58 PM) *
In the Lynch version? Or are you talking about the scrapped Jodorowsky version?

Lynch's version.
They talk about it in the book, "Eye" [I think it is], as well as the problems they had filming in Mexico.
bellis
QUOTE (Synner667 @ May 28 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Lynch's version.
They talk about it in the book, "Eye" [I think it is], as well as the problems they had filming in Mexico.

Dang. And yet somehow it is still amazing. The term footage can also be misleading - sometimes when people say that word they mean all the footage shot, including footage shot from multiple angles in the same scene. Still, I would love to see that.
bellis
QUOTE (Tanegar @ May 27 2010, 11:58 PM) *
I also love David Lynch's Dune movie. IMO it captures the feel of the book much better than the Sci Fi Channel miniseries.

I agree. In my opinion, even though it is at times cheesy, aesthetically it set a bold precedent for science fiction to come. Along with Blade Runner, Alien, Akira, Tarkovsky's "Stalker", and 2001, it is among the greatest visual masterpieces ever put to film.

IMHO wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bellis @ May 27 2010, 05:10 PM) *
I agree. In my opinion, even though it is at times cheesy, aesthetically it set a bold precedent for science fiction to come. Along with Blade Runner, Alien, Akira, Tarkovsky's "Stalker", and 2001, it is among the greatest visual masterpieces ever put to film.

IMHO wink.gif

I tend to prefer the Sci-Fi Miniseries over the Lynch version, but they are both good...

Keep the Faith
Drace
I'm sorry but seriously?! I can't think of a single Gibson book turned movie that didn't suck. The directors, writers and producers expect a star cast with a world filled with gritty hightech goodies to be able to replace a good script with the needed amazing dialogue. Can anyone how me a good Gibson movie? Not entertaining, but good, he'll even decent....

As for the battlefield earth, it would of been an okay movie if I hadn't read the book first. Sadly I read it first. But it was honestly the best scifi if not the best book I have ever read. And for the dunes. Lynchs was amazing, but the 2 miniseries had so much more included, with the only part I hated was duncans death changing.
10gauge
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 27 2010, 05:16 AM) *
Unfortunately, The greatest Science Fiction book ever written had a horrible movie made from it... Where the book is simply outstanding, with major plots running all over the place, teh movie was so horrible that the entire movie going public panned it...

From the Back of the book...

"Think of the 'Star Wars' Sagas, and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' mix in the triumph of 'Rocky I,' 'Rocky II,' 'Rocky III,' and 'Rocky IV' and you have captured the exuberance, Style and Glory of 'Battlefield Earth.'

In my opinion, There is none Better (But the movie blew great big chunks)...

Battlefield Earth (the books) are great. But if you like the sytle of L. Ron Hubbard, then you HAVE to read the Mission Earth saga (10 books afaik). I've never read something that comes close to it. It's a brilliant mixture of different styles. A MUST read! Soltan Gris is the most funny and entertaining character ever developed IMO.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Drace @ May 27 2010, 06:51 PM) *
As for the battlefield earth, it would of been an okay movie if I hadn't read the book first. Sadly I read it first. But it was honestly the best scifi if not the best book I have ever read. And for the dunes. Lynchs was amazing, but the 2 miniseries had so much more included, with the only part I hated was duncans death changing.

Yeah, the movie was a terrible disappointment after reading the Book... especially since the Movie only covered about 10% of the Book itself... It was a waste of 80 Million Dollars in my opinion... it could have been so much better...

And yes, the Miniseries had a lot more detail all the way around...

Keep the Faith
Saint Sithney
Watching Lynch's Dune perfectly reminds me of the truly awesome experience of reading the book.

There could be no greater purpose to such a film. No amount of celluloid could ever convey the depth of what is in the book, so reminding one who has already read it is really the best use of time I could hope for. If you haven't read it though, it's a confusing mess.
Blade
QUOTE (Drace @ May 28 2010, 02:51 AM) *
I'm sorry but seriously?! I can't think of a single Gibson book turned movie that didn't suck. The directors, writers and producers expect a star cast with a world filled with gritty hightech goodies to be able to replace a good script with the needed amazing dialogue. Can anyone how me a good Gibson movie? Not entertaining, but good, he'll even decent....

The aforementioned "New Rose Hotel" by Abel Ferrara. It's a Ferrara movie: lots of art, little action (and lot of boobs too) so it won't please everyone.
Teknobabel
The novelisation of the movie Johnny Mnemonic was hilarious, I really mean it, some of the lines read like they were written by Terry Pratchett on his most evil of days (especially the sequence when they are driving the methane powered van from Spiders to the bridge). The film wasn't half bad, if it was made today the cgi wouldn't be as corny but it wouldn't necessarily be as good.But the goddamn bridge I hate for a single reason.

Because it inspired the writer who did the section on Sydney from awakened lands to do the same to the harbour bridge, and for that, I can never forgive (if the mods still have access to the old brown forums there's a post in there from the writer i think, this was quite a while ago). I just read that and thought, hang on the bridge is fuxxored but centrepoint survived the same storm? wtf?

Worst Sci Fi Movie Adaptations:
Paycheck (philip k dick really got shafted over this one, the novel is brilliant and i mean brilliant)
I Robot, product placement got mental, I hate this film for the audi (it wasn't bad just distasteful) and the stupid freaking converse shoes, about as appealing as a turd sandwich.

Best Sci Fi Movie Adaptations:
Ghost In the Shell (this is going from the manga to the anime, for everyone who ever actually read the anime before the film came out)
Contact (again, I just love the film and the book)
Flash Gordon (GORDON'S ALIVE, Brian Blessed attacking a flying ship with a soundtrack by Queen, will never be beaten)

But as the best sci fi book that could ever possible be filmed? The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, because the scale of it is just so awesome.
Drace
Not going to lie, hated new rose hotel. It's kind of sad though, the more I thought about it, the more I am craving to see this, horrible or not. Damn it all......
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Teknobabel @ May 28 2010, 06:05 AM) *
Best Sci Fi Movie Adaptations:
Flash Gordon (GORDON'S ALIVE, Brian Blessed attacking a flying ship with a soundtrack by Queen, will never be beaten)

Gotta Say that Flash Gordon was pretty entertaining...

Keep the Faith
Tanegar
QUOTE (Teknobabel @ May 28 2010, 08:05 AM) *
Brian Blessed BRIAN BLESSED

Fixed.
10gauge
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 29 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Gotta Say that Flash Gordon was pretty entertaining...

Keep the Faith

And Flash Gordon has a very good OST.
Teknobabel
I'm just going to say that one day someone will make a Face character based off BRIAN BLESSED and the team will walk off with a million nuyen for a cakewalk as the GM won't be able to negotiate without falling over laughing.
DireRadiant
I haven't seen the Russian version of Solaris mentioned yet.
gridlinked
Haven't liked anything Natali has done since the original Cube movie. Dunno, I love Neuromancer, but in this day and age, they would probably find a way to cast some of the Twilight kids and turn it into an action romance lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012