IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone Response and Pilot ratings, linked?
Mantis
post May 28 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,538

So I'm trying to make sure I have this clear. Basically I want to know if a drone's Pilot (system) is limited by Response in the same way a commlink is limited. I'm inclined to say yes but haven't found anything that really says yes or no. There are things to make me think this is so, like the whole commlinks can't have a System higher than Response (never mind program load, base system and response only) thing. Also that Pilot acts as System and Firewall for whatever they are loaded into (Drone or Agent). However, an Agent determines Response based on whatever type of node it is running on. So do Drone Pilots have the same freedom of not being limited by Response in the same way commlinks are? Is this another way in which they are 'highly specialized OS's for drones'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 28 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #2

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

could be that drones classify as a peripheral nodes (unwired, p48), but its not stated outright.

but if they are, then system is not dependent on response like it is in a comlink.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 28 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I'm pretty sure they're real nodes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Drone Pilot is System program, so it is limited as normal System—the Response of the drone's node. Even if they were Agents (and they're not, they're System), they'd still be limited as the node they're running one, which *is* the drone's node.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post May 29 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Ok. That's pretty much what I figured. Just checking. Thanks guys.

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post May 29 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

Does a Pilot program supplement or replace the System program?

For instance, if a security vehicle is considered a Rating 4 device, it should have Response 4, System 4, Firewall 4, and Signal 4. But let's say its stat-block says Pilot 2.

Does the Pilot 2 replace the System 4 (rolling Pilot for everything that usually is System), or does it retain System 4 for certain Matrix tests (like opposing an exploit) and its Pilot 2 for most other real-world tests?

(I was making a character sheet for drones and couldn't decide whether to keep both System and Pilot, or just leave a spot for Pilot.)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post May 29 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

The book calls Pilot 'a modified System program'. I assume it replaces. If that causes a balance problem, you could maybe houserule in System upgrading for that kind of defensive purpose?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post May 29 2010, 10:55 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

QUOTE (Veggiesama @ May 29 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Does a Pilot program supplement or replace the System program?

For instance, if a security vehicle is considered a Rating 4 device, it should have Response 4, System 4, Firewall 4, and Signal 4. But let's say its stat-block says Pilot 2.

Does the Pilot 2 replace the System 4 (rolling Pilot for everything that usually is System), or does it retain System 4 for certain Matrix tests (like opposing an exploit) and its Pilot 2 for most other real-world tests?

(I was making a character sheet for drones and couldn't decide whether to keep both System and Pilot, or just leave a spot for Pilot.)

Pilot is a kind of system. There is a contradiction between the published pilot ratings and the sample device ratings table. I would suggest to go with the sample device rating table, and ignore the given pilot ratings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.