Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Response and Pilot ratings, linked?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mantis
So I'm trying to make sure I have this clear. Basically I want to know if a drone's Pilot (system) is limited by Response in the same way a commlink is limited. I'm inclined to say yes but haven't found anything that really says yes or no. There are things to make me think this is so, like the whole commlinks can't have a System higher than Response (never mind program load, base system and response only) thing. Also that Pilot acts as System and Firewall for whatever they are loaded into (Drone or Agent). However, an Agent determines Response based on whatever type of node it is running on. So do Drone Pilots have the same freedom of not being limited by Response in the same way commlinks are? Is this another way in which they are 'highly specialized OS's for drones'?
hobgoblin
could be that drones classify as a peripheral nodes (unwired, p48), but its not stated outright.

but if they are, then system is not dependent on response like it is in a comlink.
Yerameyahu
I'm pretty sure they're real nodes. smile.gif

Drone Pilot is System program, so it is limited as normal System—the Response of the drone's node. Even if they were Agents (and they're not, they're System), they'd still be limited as the node they're running one, which *is* the drone's node.
Mantis
Ok. That's pretty much what I figured. Just checking. Thanks guys.
Veggiesama
Does a Pilot program supplement or replace the System program?

For instance, if a security vehicle is considered a Rating 4 device, it should have Response 4, System 4, Firewall 4, and Signal 4. But let's say its stat-block says Pilot 2.

Does the Pilot 2 replace the System 4 (rolling Pilot for everything that usually is System), or does it retain System 4 for certain Matrix tests (like opposing an exploit) and its Pilot 2 for most other real-world tests?

(I was making a character sheet for drones and couldn't decide whether to keep both System and Pilot, or just leave a spot for Pilot.)
Yerameyahu
The book calls Pilot 'a modified System program'. I assume it replaces. If that causes a balance problem, you could maybe houserule in System upgrading for that kind of defensive purpose?
Ryu
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ May 29 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Does a Pilot program supplement or replace the System program?

For instance, if a security vehicle is considered a Rating 4 device, it should have Response 4, System 4, Firewall 4, and Signal 4. But let's say its stat-block says Pilot 2.

Does the Pilot 2 replace the System 4 (rolling Pilot for everything that usually is System), or does it retain System 4 for certain Matrix tests (like opposing an exploit) and its Pilot 2 for most other real-world tests?

(I was making a character sheet for drones and couldn't decide whether to keep both System and Pilot, or just leave a spot for Pilot.)

Pilot is a kind of system. There is a contradiction between the published pilot ratings and the sample device ratings table. I would suggest to go with the sample device rating table, and ignore the given pilot ratings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012