+Quote Post
Nixda
post Jun 8 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,399

Interesting.

But why is the MAUL being described as a 5 shot system on one page and a 4 shot system on another ? I was wondering already when the video showed it firing only 4 shots in short order...

http://www.metalstorm.com/content/view/68/115/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 8 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Semi-auto? What's that crap?

I WANT MY FA GRENADE LAUNCHER! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If they prefer to market their guns towards people who get to actually use them instead of gamers, what can I say?

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jun 8 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

I have for months now planning on statting out the Maul, its a nifty weapon consept.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Jun 8 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

I wish there was more then the Sakura Fubuki that used the Metal Storm tech....then again, I wish
it was given its own special rules, too...

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jun 8 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 8 2010, 04:37 AM) *

If they prefer to market their guns towards people who get to actually use them instead of gamers, what can I say?

If you want full auto, Metal Storm is not the tech for you.

Metal Storm is great for massive burst capacity.

Sustained fire it's not particularly great at, as it cannot accept any sort of continuous feed.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jun 8 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

You are right, but on these ones they even disabled the burst fire.

There might be technical issues, but I would bet their real concern is the military clients trying to spare ammunition.

+Quote Post
Mongoose
post Jun 8 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 227

There's also the issue that, without any sort of loader mechanism cycling, the recoil is much higher than it would be for a conventional SA / FA weapon. I suspect that FA (or bursts) would be entirely uncontrollable, worse even than a it would be on a normal shotgun. If the burst doesn't improve your hit ratio, why have it?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jun 8 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 8 2010, 02:37 AM) *

Well, there -is- H&K's grenade machine gun. Here.

Then there's This Thing. Its not just a grenade machine gun, its an LMG too.

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Jun 8 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,974

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 8 2010, 10:43 AM) *

Then there's This Thing. Its not just a grenade machine gun, its an LMG too.

.50 cal is HMG, not LMG.

+Quote Post
Dr Funfrock
post Jun 8 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,618

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 8 2010, 01:43 PM) *

I swear, the guy was just about ready to drop trou and rub one out over that thing.

Also, love how the description calls it "The British Army's grenade machine gun".
Which was made by Germans.
Yeah, really rocking the national pride there guys.

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Jun 8 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Jun 8 2010, 11:09 AM) *
Also, love how the description calls it "The British Army's grenade machine gun".

All the quality weapons used by the British Army are built by Germans.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 8 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Nothing wrong with that. It's the automatic grenade launcher *of* the British Army. FN and HK make many of the US's personal weapons, too.

I've always wondered about this exact point: we've had belted automatic GLs for years, and yet that kind of thing's still not in SR. Alas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Deadmannumberone
post Jun 8 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 8 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Nothing wrong with that. It's the automatic grenade launcher *of* the British Army. FN and HK make many of the US's personal weapons, too.

I believe nearly 70% of the US military's personal weapons are made by Springfield Armory, under license from Armalite, and Winchester, with Baretta making around 11%, H&K around 7% and FN around 3%. H&K may be a little higher with the Virginia factory, but they are still a significant minority compared to Springfield.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 8 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #15

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

The GL/50cal HMG option is like my trolls pet bar the FA GL fire. Airbust GL launcher mounted unberbarrle of a HMG. Its verstility in SR makes me wonder if such a system has been considered in IRL. Mass could be an issue and the underbarrle weapon wouldn't be able to cary huge amounts of ammo. But the switch time would be next to none existent.

+Quote Post
Dumori
post Jun 8 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #16

Dumorimasoddaa

Member No.: 15,830

QUOTE (Dr Funfrock @ Jun 8 2010, 07:09 PM) *
I swear, the guy was just about ready to drop trou and rub one out over that thing.

The fact is it's used by them and in that sense it is their's but also I bout many country's manufacture all there own armaments. So the fact its a H&K gun also makes no difference.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 8 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

10% of the US' personal weapons is still 'many'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes, I think you've got it: in the real world, what application would require a HMG with a UBGL? Either you've got ARs with UBGLs, or you've got an auto grenade launcher (Mk19?), or… what on earth else could you be fighting? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 8 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 8 2010, 03:11 PM) *

I've always wondered about this exact point: we've had belted automatic GLs for years, and yet that kind of thing's still not in SR. Alas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

They don't put things like that in the game because it is a game and it would not be fun for anyone. There really isn't a way to balance a "fully automatic grenade launcher that just kills everyone within 5 meters", or whatever that guy said.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 8 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

Oh? I noticed that the game had nuclear submarines and supersonic fighter jets…

It's a general problem in all kinds of 'future' games: real life has often *already* surpassed them, which is vaguely annoying. It's not a significant problem, but we happened to be discussing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 8 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 8 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Oh? I noticed that the game had nuclear submarines and supersonic fighter jets…

It's a general problem in all kinds of 'future' games: real life has often *already* surpassed them, which is vaguely annoying. It's not a significant problem, but we happened to be discussing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There is a difference in a GM plot device like a sub and a man portable weapon that can be at a ridiculous number of security points and in the players hands.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 8 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

rigger3 had vehicles that runners where more likely to do runs in, then runs with.

still, want a full auto grenade launcher, or the SR4 nearest equivalent, check out the hail barrage vehicle rocket launcher.

only problem with it is that the recoil rules go crazy on it just by launching about 2-3 of them. Its only potential saving grace is that its ammo is area effect...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 8 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

My point is that there are any number of 'dangerously powerful' items, so your reason for exclusion isn't that good. I admit that it's not a terribly *useful* item within the game context, but neither is the penile cyberware. Many things *in* the game are very forbidden, etc., so they could simply have included a simple, old-tech Mk19, for use by militaries only. *shrug*

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 8 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 8 2010, 05:58 PM) *
My point is that there are any number of 'dangerously powerful' items, so your reason for exclusion isn't that good. I admit that it's not a terribly *useful* item within the game context, but neither is the penile cyberware. Many things *in* the game are very forbidden, etc., so they could simply have included a simple, old-tech Mk19, for use by militaries only. *shrug*

A nuclear sub I can explain why its militaries only. Something I can fit in my trunk is a bit harder. You might not like the reason but game balance is a reason why they wont put in super kill everything devices that the players logically can get there hands on, and would logically face occasionally. When it is something like a HMG level gun in size, and you put it in the game you have to make it survivable at the same level as other heavy weapons. So sure they put it in but now grenades to 5DV on a direct hit or something else that is dumb so it is balanced. They simply can't do it right and keep the game balanced so they don't put it in.

Though given the rtarded scatter rules of 4a, I say go for it. It will suck ass.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 9 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

I have no trouble with the scatter rules, SR3/4/4a; grenades are stupid-powerful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyway. There's the Thunderstruck and the MP Heavy Laser, and any number of 'vehicle only' weapons (which the Mk19 could easily be classed as); 'unbalanceable' is not an adequate reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Again, it's not a major issue, it's just annoying when real life is *better* than the future. At least they included a few lasers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 9 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #25

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

if SR was to include a variant of each real life weapon out there, i wonder if not it would be arsenal thickness with just weapons.

we humans seems to be very good at making things that kill us.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.