Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun 5
shadowfire
post Jun 26 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,447

So i ran across something interesting today and I am wondering if this is true. If so I want to be apart of the playtest group. I am so hoping this is true.
Shadowrun V
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Jun 26 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

Looks like an April Fool's joke from LAST YEAR.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Jun 26 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

well... Ullysses Games doesn't exist... They don't hold the license (that would be Topps and by extension Catalyst Game Labs) They didn't spell Ulysses right, and they skipped at least 3 VITAS outbreaks. The point buy model only became standard in 4th edition (prior to that it was priorities) more "exotic" races have existed in every edition from 2nd on... Oh, and the posting date was 04/01/09.

I'm sure I missed a few points there but I'd say that about sums it up.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Jun 26 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

No, it's true. And it's based upon the Pathfinder system ...

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Jun 26 2010, 05:22 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 25 2010, 10:21 PM) *
No, it's true. And it's based upon the Pathfinder system ...

Really? I'd heard they were licensing the Palladium system.

+Quote Post
Martin_DeVries_I...
post Jun 26 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,684

You thought assault cannons were strong before? Just wait until they do Mega Damage...

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 26 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

Pegasus is holder of the German SR4 Licences (I should know that)
Ulisses was competing with Pegasus some Years ago for said Licences and lost
Ulisses has the Licences for DSA (The Black Eye in English I guess) and Pathfinder in Germany

with a Dance in Germany
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 26 2010, 06:06 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

I think it is called the Dark Eye, since a black eye is a circular hematoma around the eye. Not such a good game title.

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Jun 26 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

So old and dead news. Ok.

I just got a little excited because... I don't like fourth edition and the thought of a 5th edition that would bring the game back to look something more like 2nd and 3rd sounded great. Edge is broken and i don't like it when it takes a day and half to make a character.. Plus perception should never be a skill, especial in a game where its used so much (there can be a skill to assist with it though- i'm fine with that). But since it not happening i'll just stick with third for now.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jun 26 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

If Ulysses would Produce SR5 It'll look like D&D4th and that would be even Worse !
(and anybody playing It should get a Black Eye (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

he who dances with clear Eyes
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Jun 26 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #11

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (imperialus @ Jun 26 2010, 07:20 AM) *
well... Ullysses Games doesn't exist... They don't hold the license (that would be Topps and by extension Catalyst Game Labs) They didn't spell Ulysses right, ...

Well, they certainly do exist... http://www.ulisses-spiele.de/

And you are right, that it was spelt wrong. Just one l and an i instead of the y. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 26 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

Point-Buy was very much the best option for Character Generation under SR3.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jun 26 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 26 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Point-Buy was very much the best option for Character Generation under SR3.

But it wasn't the standard. You had to have the Shadowrun Companion for the point-buy rules.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 26 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (shadowfire @ Jun 25 2010, 11:08 PM) *
So old and dead news. Ok.

I just got a little excited because... I don't like fourth edition and the thought of a 5th edition that would bring the game back to look something more like 2nd and 3rd sounded great. Edge is broken and i don't like it when it takes a day and half to make a character.. Plus perception should never be a skill, especial in a game where its used so much (there can be a skill to assist with it though- i'm fine with that). But since it not happening i'll just stick with third for now.

Really? How is Edge any more broken then the Karma Pools of previous games? In 4th, I am capped at Edge 8 for a Human and 7 for anything else... In SR2/3. I had 37 Karma Pool for my Favored Character (Human)... Which exactly is broken now?

Just Curious...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jun 26 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 16,582

I agree the 1/10 karma pool for humans was especially broken. 1/20 became broken a lot later - after most characters were dead or retired or the gaming group dissolved.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 26 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 26 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I agree the 1/10 karma pool for humans was especially broken. 1/20 became broken a lot later - after most characters were dead or retired or the gaming group dissolved.

True, but with comparisons, even at 18 points of Karma Pool for a comparable Non-Human character (to my human example) is still a bit overpowering.

I like Edge a lot more than I like Karma Pool...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Jun 26 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 26 2010, 12:37 PM) *
Really? How is Edge any more broken then the Karma Pools of previous games? In 4th, I am capped at Edge 8 for a Human and 7 for anything else... In SR2/3. I had 37 Karma Pool for my Favored Character (Human)... Which exactly is broken now?

Just Curious...

Keep the Faith

I think the difference for many people is Edge is frequently broken from the get go, karma pools you had to earn before they became broken.

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Jun 27 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 26 2010, 05:39 PM) *
I think the difference for many people is Edge is frequently broken from the get go, karma pools you had to earn before they became broken.

Plus Exploding 6's. this can lead to a tremendous amount of successes, giving something like a common punch the power to knockout/kill a dragon.

+Quote Post
Abschalten
post Jun 27 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,655

Man, you would break the world's record for luck, I think, if you got enough exploding 6's to do that. Seriously, why not say your punch has the power to shatter the planet while you're at it? Seriously, with all those exploding 6's, man! It's possible!

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Jun 27 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Its has been done.. Not impossible, just normal unlikely.

Besides that was an extreme example.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jun 27 2010, 02:31 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Ah, yes, Edge. Edge won me a bet once-- I made a character who used Spell Knack and didn't completely suck. Basically, Edge dice hits are not capped by the Force of the spell you cast. Low Force casting is harder to detect than any other sort of casting, and Permanent spells take Drain Valuex2 turns before they are considered Permanent, so a hypothetical low Force but decent hits Permanent spell is sneakier and faster than brute force casting. So I made a 7 Edge uncybered Infiltrator/Face with Spell Knack: Influence as well as the Trustfund: High Lifestyle, Day Job, and Black Market Pipeline: Awakened Drugs qualities so he always had some Immortal Flower handy for when things went south. Plus, you know... 7 Edge and a handgun. Hijinks ensued. Never let it be said that my munchkin-fu is not strong.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jun 27 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (shadowfire @ Jun 26 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Plus Exploding 6's. this can lead to a tremendous amount of successes, giving something like a common punch the power to knockout/kill a dragon.

Unless the dragon is a great one. In which case he just Twists Fate and you are screwed anyway.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 27 2010, 04:05 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 26 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Ah, yes, Edge. Edge won me a bet once-- I made a character who used Spell Knack and didn't completely suck. Basically, Edge dice hits are not capped by the Force of the spell you cast. Low Force casting is harder to detect than any other sort of casting, and Permanent spells take Drain Valuex2 turns before they are considered Permanent, so a hypothetical low Force but decent hits Permanent spell is sneakier and faster than brute force casting. So I made a 7 Edge uncybered Infiltrator/Face with Spell Knack: Influence as well as the Trustfund: High Lifestyle, Day Job, and Black Market Pipeline: Awakened Drugs qualities so he always had some Immortal Flower handy for when things went south. Plus, you know... 7 Edge and a handgun. Hijinks ensued. Never let it be said that my munchkin-fu is not strong.

Sounds interesting Indeed... Your Fu is Strong...

Keep the Faith

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jun 27 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The thing a few people seem to be forgetting about the exploding 6s of old is that the target number wasn't set, nor did exceeding the target number provide any real benefits for you. As soon as you hit the target number, that's it. Anything beyond that is pointless. The sole point of exploding 6's was to allow you to get a target number above 6, and thus get a "hit" at all. If the final TN was, say, 4... you didn't even use the exploding 6 rule. Well, unless you just like rolling random dice.

Basically, exploding 6s increased the range of a single die (instead of 1-6 it became 1-infinity). It didn't add extra dice to the roll.

So no, they don't lead to "a tremendous amount of successes," nor did they even remotely allow some Joe Schmoe to TKO a dragon in one shot on a regular basis... if ever at all.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jun 27 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Well, under SR4, exploding 6's do that.
Every tie you roll a die and it comes up higher than 4, it's a hit. and if you haqve one die, and you reroll it 3 times due to 3 6's being rolled, then that one die has generated 3 hits.
But yes, exploding 6's was sorely needed and much less problematic under SR3 rules.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.