Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowfire
So i ran across something interesting today and I am wondering if this is true. If so I want to be apart of the playtest group. I am so hoping this is true.
Shadowrun V
Abschalten
Looks like an April Fool's joke from LAST YEAR.
imperialus
well... Ullysses Games doesn't exist... They don't hold the license (that would be Topps and by extension Catalyst Game Labs) They didn't spell Ulysses right, and they skipped at least 3 VITAS outbreaks. The point buy model only became standard in 4th edition (prior to that it was priorities) more "exotic" races have existed in every edition from 2nd on... Oh, and the posting date was 04/01/09.

I'm sure I missed a few points there but I'd say that about sums it up.
Cabral
No, it's true. And it's based upon the Pathfinder system ...
imperialus
QUOTE (Cabral @ Jun 25 2010, 10:21 PM) *
No, it's true. And it's based upon the Pathfinder system ...

Really? I'd heard they were licensing the Palladium system.
Martin_DeVries_Institute
You thought assault cannons were strong before? Just wait until they do Mega Damage...
Medicineman
Pegasus is holder of the German SR4 Licences (I should know that)
Ulisses was competing with Pegasus some Years ago for said Licences and lost
Ulisses has the Licences for DSA (The Black Eye in English I guess) and Pathfinder in Germany

with a Dance in Germany
Medicineman
Dakka Dakka
I think it is called the Dark Eye, since a black eye is a circular hematoma around the eye. Not such a good game title.
shadowfire
So old and dead news. Ok.

I just got a little excited because... I don't like fourth edition and the thought of a 5th edition that would bring the game back to look something more like 2nd and 3rd sounded great. Edge is broken and i don't like it when it takes a day and half to make a character.. Plus perception should never be a skill, especial in a game where its used so much (there can be a skill to assist with it though- i'm fine with that). But since it not happening i'll just stick with third for now.
Medicineman
If Ulysses would Produce SR5 It'll look like D&D4th and that would be even Worse !
(and anybody playing It should get a Black Eye wink.gif )

he who dances with clear Eyes
Medicineman
Thanee
QUOTE (imperialus @ Jun 26 2010, 07:20 AM) *
well... Ullysses Games doesn't exist... They don't hold the license (that would be Topps and by extension Catalyst Game Labs) They didn't spell Ulysses right, ...

Well, they certainly do exist... http://www.ulisses-spiele.de/

And you are right, that it was spelt wrong. Just one l and an i instead of the y. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Stahlseele
Point-Buy was very much the best option for Character Generation under SR3.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 26 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Point-Buy was very much the best option for Character Generation under SR3.

But it wasn't the standard. You had to have the Shadowrun Companion for the point-buy rules.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Jun 25 2010, 11:08 PM) *
So old and dead news. Ok.

I just got a little excited because... I don't like fourth edition and the thought of a 5th edition that would bring the game back to look something more like 2nd and 3rd sounded great. Edge is broken and i don't like it when it takes a day and half to make a character.. Plus perception should never be a skill, especial in a game where its used so much (there can be a skill to assist with it though- i'm fine with that). But since it not happening i'll just stick with third for now.

Really? How is Edge any more broken then the Karma Pools of previous games? In 4th, I am capped at Edge 8 for a Human and 7 for anything else... In SR2/3. I had 37 Karma Pool for my Favored Character (Human)... Which exactly is broken now?

Just Curious...

Keep the Faith
Dakka Dakka
I agree the 1/10 karma pool for humans was especially broken. 1/20 became broken a lot later - after most characters were dead or retired or the gaming group dissolved.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jun 26 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I agree the 1/10 karma pool for humans was especially broken. 1/20 became broken a lot later - after most characters were dead or retired or the gaming group dissolved.

True, but with comparisons, even at 18 points of Karma Pool for a comparable Non-Human character (to my human example) is still a bit overpowering.

I like Edge a lot more than I like Karma Pool...

Keep the Faith
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 26 2010, 12:37 PM) *
Really? How is Edge any more broken then the Karma Pools of previous games? In 4th, I am capped at Edge 8 for a Human and 7 for anything else... In SR2/3. I had 37 Karma Pool for my Favored Character (Human)... Which exactly is broken now?

Just Curious...

Keep the Faith

I think the difference for many people is Edge is frequently broken from the get go, karma pools you had to earn before they became broken.
shadowfire
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 26 2010, 05:39 PM) *
I think the difference for many people is Edge is frequently broken from the get go, karma pools you had to earn before they became broken.

Plus Exploding 6's. this can lead to a tremendous amount of successes, giving something like a common punch the power to knockout/kill a dragon.
Abschalten
Man, you would break the world's record for luck, I think, if you got enough exploding 6's to do that. Seriously, why not say your punch has the power to shatter the planet while you're at it? Seriously, with all those exploding 6's, man! It's possible!
shadowfire
Its has been done.. Not impossible, just normal unlikely.

Besides that was an extreme example.
Whipstitch
Ah, yes, Edge. Edge won me a bet once-- I made a character who used Spell Knack and didn't completely suck. Basically, Edge dice hits are not capped by the Force of the spell you cast. Low Force casting is harder to detect than any other sort of casting, and Permanent spells take Drain Valuex2 turns before they are considered Permanent, so a hypothetical low Force but decent hits Permanent spell is sneakier and faster than brute force casting. So I made a 7 Edge uncybered Infiltrator/Face with Spell Knack: Influence as well as the Trustfund: High Lifestyle, Day Job, and Black Market Pipeline: Awakened Drugs qualities so he always had some Immortal Flower handy for when things went south. Plus, you know... 7 Edge and a handgun. Hijinks ensued. Never let it be said that my munchkin-fu is not strong.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Jun 26 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Plus Exploding 6's. this can lead to a tremendous amount of successes, giving something like a common punch the power to knockout/kill a dragon.

Unless the dragon is a great one. In which case he just Twists Fate and you are screwed anyway.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Jun 26 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Ah, yes, Edge. Edge won me a bet once-- I made a character who used Spell Knack and didn't completely suck. Basically, Edge dice hits are not capped by the Force of the spell you cast. Low Force casting is harder to detect than any other sort of casting, and Permanent spells take Drain Valuex2 turns before they are considered Permanent, so a hypothetical low Force but decent hits Permanent spell is sneakier and faster than brute force casting. So I made a 7 Edge uncybered Infiltrator/Face with Spell Knack: Influence as well as the Trustfund: High Lifestyle, Day Job, and Black Market Pipeline: Awakened Drugs qualities so he always had some Immortal Flower handy for when things went south. Plus, you know... 7 Edge and a handgun. Hijinks ensued. Never let it be said that my munchkin-fu is not strong.

Sounds interesting Indeed... Your Fu is Strong...

Keep the Faith
Ol' Scratch
The thing a few people seem to be forgetting about the exploding 6s of old is that the target number wasn't set, nor did exceeding the target number provide any real benefits for you. As soon as you hit the target number, that's it. Anything beyond that is pointless. The sole point of exploding 6's was to allow you to get a target number above 6, and thus get a "hit" at all. If the final TN was, say, 4... you didn't even use the exploding 6 rule. Well, unless you just like rolling random dice.

Basically, exploding 6s increased the range of a single die (instead of 1-6 it became 1-infinity). It didn't add extra dice to the roll.

So no, they don't lead to "a tremendous amount of successes," nor did they even remotely allow some Joe Schmoe to TKO a dragon in one shot on a regular basis... if ever at all.
Stahlseele
Well, under SR4, exploding 6's do that.
Every tie you roll a die and it comes up higher than 4, it's a hit. and if you haqve one die, and you reroll it 3 times due to 3 6's being rolled, then that one die has generated 3 hits.
But yes, exploding 6's was sorely needed and much less problematic under SR3 rules.
Cheops
Although my group always had the rule that if a single die produced a result of 36+ then the PC was allowed to narrate whatever the damn hell they wanted for the result. We had a pre-shutdown run on the RA and our reporter/gun bunny rolled to see if he could get some more info on it so he rolled and 1 die came up with a 40 something. He said he knew some people in the PR department and that they invited him to a big gala that was being held. This gave him a chance to get inside and see some of the security first hand for us.

I also don't remember Karma Pool refreshing as frequently in SR3 as in SR4. But that could be nostalgia and table quirks.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jun 27 2010, 06:23 AM) *
I also don't remember Karma Pool refreshing as frequently in SR3 as in SR4. But that could be nostalgia and table quirks.

If I remember Correctly, Karma Pool refreshed every session... DO not remember if that was RAW or not, but there you go.

Keep the Faith
shadowfire
Karma Refreshed at the GM's Discretion.

I can't remember how often Edge refreshes.
hermit
If I remember Correctly, Karma Pool refreshed every session... DO not remember if that was RAW or not, but there you go.

Every Scene, where the guidline is every in-game day. GM discreation, of course, can and should overrule.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (shadowfire @ Jun 27 2010, 08:35 AM) *
Karma Refreshed at the GM's Discretion.

I can't remember how often Edge refreshes.

Same...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012