IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mystic Adepts & the Magic Spirit Pact, And other related questions.
Caadium
post Jul 20 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,646

Okay, the Magic Pact with a free-spirit is pretty straight forward for magicians. How would it work for Adepts or Mystic Adepts?

Without getting into the right or wrong nature of the FAQ, lets just assume those rules are being used and magic is split 4 Magic, 2 Adept. If the Mystic Adept has a Magic Pact with a force 3 free-spirit, how does it affect them? Below are a few options I've thought of, and would like input.

1. The temporary increase to Magic Attribute adds to the total Magic Attribute and only comes into play for those things (such as counterspelling) where you use that value.

2. It boosts the magician side of the mystic adept for the duration, taking their magician portion of the magic up to a 5 for 3 rounds.

3. It boosts the adept aspect and helps rolls relying on that (such as increase attribute power).

4. It boosts the adept aspect and adds temporary power points (whether these points are pre-spent and always give the same bonus, or are dynamic I really have no idea).

5. The magic boost is dynamically applied each time allowing for a hybrid of 2 and 4 (either variety of 4).

6. Something I completely missed (very interested to read it).

Now, just for giggles, lets take the mystic adept out and put in a physical adept. How would you handle that? As a GM, would you just say no?

Finally, Magic Pact has the nasty side effect of the spirit being able to spend your edge "for any purpose, at any time." As a GM, how would you work to make sure this was used to keep the magic pact balanced (no free magic point boosts) without just blatantly screwing players over at key moments. Do you use any guidlines at all, or just judgment call it as you go.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Traul
post Jul 20 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

I would let the mystic adpet choose how he splits his points, then use them as normal. Boost to Adept magic gives free powers, boost to Mystic magic gives extra dice.

As for the counterpart, would use it every time they take too long discussing OOC or overplanning during an action scene (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
czarcasm
post Jul 20 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,697

One way to handle it would be to have the spirit use the player's edge every nth time the player uses the extra dice provided by the spirit. And maybe have the spirit show up every now and then to renegotiate the rate.

+Quote Post
Caadium
post Jul 20 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,646

QUOTE (Traul @ Jul 20 2010, 03:18 PM) *
I would let the mystic adpet choose how he splits his points, then use them as normal. Boost to Adept magic gives free powers, boost to Mystic magic gives extra dice.

As for the counterpart, would use it every time they take too long discussing OOC or overplanning during an action scene (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Since the magic boost would always be the same value, and from the same source, would you do increased/new adept powers so that they were pre-set (the first point gives x, the second y, etc)? Or, would you just let the player chose them each time?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 21 2010, 01:41 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I say it increase the Magic (total) for times when that score is used: overcasting, certain Adept power activations, astral projection time (if you have the power; am I thinking SR3?). I wouldn't give free adept PP, no.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.