Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New and need some clarification
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,856

Okay, I am new to SR 4e and I'm leaning towards making a character with a major cybernetic overhaul.
He is also designed for covert ops
My stats.

Bod 3
Agi 1
Rct 3
Str 1
Cha 3
Int 7 ( Exceptional Attribute )
Log 4
Will 4

My cyber gear. I'm also taking Biocompatibility to reduce essence cost.

2 Full Obvious Alphaware Arms Customized: 5 Body 6 Strength 6 Agility on both
2 Full Obvious Alphaware Legs Customized: 5 Body 6 Strength 6 Agility on both
1 Alphaware Obvious Torso

So first question, Since all cyberlimbs have Str and AGi 6 will the effective stats be 6
Second question, Is the torso needed to keep my Strength and Agility from being affected?
Third question, Will me taking the Cyber Torso interfere with taking wired reflexes and or reaction enhancers which are to be obtained later?

I'm still working on which skills i need but
I want locksmith and hardware so most doors cant keep me out.
Athletics skill group
Infiltration skill group
Tracking
Some form of close combat and one ranged weapon.
Any advise on skills would be nice.

Thank You,
Cyberjocky
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sabs
post Jul 26 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 18,649

Get autopickers R6 and you wont' have to worry about most locks ever, and you can save points on locksmith

Every shadowrunner should really have:

Athletics: 2
Infiltration: 2
Influence: 2

as a very basic necessity of being a shadowrunner.
You can of course, raise those higher depending on role.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

5 cyberlimbs is maybe not the best 'new player' setup, but it's not like you can't do that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It doesn't affect Wires or anything like that. Torso is required for limb stats above a certain point.

I doubt you need to waste that much BP (Exceptional, Maxed) on Int, esp. if you're leaving Reaction so low. Reaction is for Initiative and 'don't get shot'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The 'best' Firearms is Automatics, because you can get Machine Pistols, SMGs, and ARs. If you're 'covert ops' means 'Navy SEALS', then you want that. If your 'covert ops' means 'ninja burglar', then you might prefer Pistols, which are easier to hide.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jul 26 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,652

QUOTE (Cyberjocky @ Jul 26 2010, 12:48 PM) *

So first question, Since all cyberlimbs have Str and AGi 6 will the effective stats be 6
Second question, Is the torso needed to keep my Strength and Agility from being affected?
Third question, Will me taking the Cyber Torso interfere with taking wired reflexes and or reaction enhancers which are to be obtained later?

So, here is how it works: For things that use only your arms (like firing a gun) or things that only use your legs (like running) or things that only use both of those (like climbing) you have the stats of the cyberlimbs. For things that use the entire body (like melee combat (May just be arms or just arms and legs, talk to your GM) and soaking damage) you use the average of your cyberlimbs and real attributes. So you would have 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 +3(torso) + 3 (real body) / 6 for your overall body. Same goes for overall strength/agi for any case in which that is imporant.

Torso doesn't effect your ability to get any other cyberware. As for needing it for the limbs, I'm not sure. I remember something about it being required, but not the exact rules.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Unless you're just dying to be robocop, I think it's easier to get your natural stats higher (Muscle Replacement 2 is cheap). A 5-limb build is more tank than covert, especially because you glow on sensor scans like a Christmas tree.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 26 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Cyberjocky @ Jul 26 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Okay, I am new to SR 4e and I'm leaning towards making a character with a major cybernetic overhaul.
He is also designed for covert ops
My stats.

Bod 3
Agi 1
Rct 3
Str 1
Cha 3
Int 7 ( Exceptional Attribute )
Log 4
Will 4

My cyber gear. I'm also taking Biocompatibility to reduce essence cost.

So you still have you natural head and i assume the torso is standart 3/3/3 as you didn't mention any customising
This gives you the following stat:
Body = (2*3+4*5)/6 = 4,333 = 4
Strenght = (1+3+4*6)/6 = 4.667 = 4 (as its avarage rounding down)
Agility = (1+3+4*6)/6 = 4.667 = 4

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 26 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 26 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Unless you're just dying to be robocop, I think it's easier to get your natural stats higher (Muscle Replacement 2 is cheap). A 5-limb build is more tank than covert, especially because you glow on sensor scans like a Christmas tree.

And obvious cyber at that.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

And if race isn't an issue, I'd probably do Ork. Saves a little on the Str and Bod.

+Quote Post
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Target

Thanks for the replies the only reason I kept reaction so low was for the chance of getting reaction enhancer rating 3 and wired reflexes rating 3 which should raise reaction to 9. And would a jammer fix me being mainly cybernetic.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jul 26 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Cyberjocky @ Jul 26 2010, 01:21 PM) *
And would a jammer fix me being mainly cybernetic.

Fix? Not sure what you mean, but a jammer wouldn't stop people seeing your obvious cyber, and certainly wouldn't stop a cyberware scanner picking it up with ease.

+Quote Post
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Target

Max i was reading on page 343 of the 20th anniversary book that only the cyber limbs involved use their stats and the only time it mentions to use the average is the body when getting shot at. It gives an analogy to attacking using the limb involved only and things that require coordination use the lowest of the stats of limbs involved IE running in this case would use my cyber stats and attacking would only use the limb attacking with.

I am wondering if I am just misreading this.

Thank You,
Cyberjocky

+Quote Post
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Target

I was refering to fixing me showing up on scanners in a building im sneaking into, I dont mind if people see me as cyber since nothing about the cyberlimbs I have is restricted or forbidden.

Thank You,
Cyberjocky

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jul 26 2010, 05:34 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Yeah, jammer doesn't do anything against a cyberware scanner, and people would be suspicious if it conked out when you went through it anyway. This is however only a problem when you go through a cyberware scanner (generally alot like metal detectors now adays)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

It's true that many tests would use the limb stats instead of the overall.

+Quote Post
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Target

So the only problem im seeing having is popping up on scanners with having wight now 4+ implants giving a scanner a +2 dice pool and if its rating 6 that makes a dice pool of 8. With me in alphaware which is threshold 2 the scanner would only need 2 hits on the 8 dice to see me, correct?

I do eventually want to get as much deltaware possible to increase threshold to 4 and I know I will get 6+ implants eventually which should give it a +3 dice rolls to scan me so i would be looking at dice pool of 9 to beat a threshold 4, correct? I am assuming the GM would make all scanner rating 6 just because im making my guy heavily cyber.

+Quote Post
Karoline
post Jul 26 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Seems like the bonus should be bigger than that. I mean you're dealing with 4 full arms and a full torso. You're technically correct that it would only be a +2, but I think most people would add a full die for each limb because they constitute so much cyber compared to most other cyberware.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm not sure why a MAD scanner wouldn't work either; if so, that's always threshold 1. If I were being covert, I wouldn't risk 2 hits on 8 dice; there's no reason there couldn't be multiple scanners, so anything above 10% chance of being found is a big deal, IMO. Remember that the alpha/beta/delta (you'll never get delta) threshold increases only apply to that one item. Unless you're 100% delta, you're not really a threshold 4.

I think it is a mistake to plan ahead for your augmented max Reaction, given the cost of that 'ware. *Especially* because you'll never have the money to have enough essence to get them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 26 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Cyberware scanners are pretty short-range, 15 meters (about 50 feet) and highly directional. For infiltration purposes, you're better off worrying about other detection methods: cameras, both visible-spectrum and thermographic, ultrasound sensors, motion sensors, etc. Read the section entitled "Security Systems," starting on page 259 of SR4A.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

*shrug* I feel like 50 feet is pretty far if you're infiltrating anyplace except an open field. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cyberjocky
post Jul 26 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #20

Target

I will have plenty of essence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

2 arms 2 essence
2 legs 2 essence
1 torso 1.5 essence
1 rating 3 reaction enhancer 0.9 essence
1 rating 3 wired reflexes 5 essence

this is 11.4 essence cost
now I want all deltaware so half that
5.7 essence cost
plus biocompatibility which is a 10% reduction
5.13 essence cost

considering I boosted by inuition to 7 and reaction is 3 my initiative is 10 since the max unaugmented initiative is 12 normally, my initiative can only get better up to 16 with what I want to get.

I do see the price as an issue though but I figure I may be able to steal some from labs at one point or another.

Granted I have been told that I will have poor social skills ( i'm not the negotiator of the group ) because of being mostly cyber and swimming will be a pain.

Thank You,
Cyberjocky

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 26 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

How're you getting deltaware out of chargen?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

He's not, he's talking about the future.

Like I said, you'll never get the *money* to *have* enough essence. It's impossible to steal deltaware. They build it into your body during surgery. Long surgery. At secure facilities. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There's just no reason to spend, what, 45 BP on +1 Intuition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jul 26 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Don't leave an initiative enhancer until later. Grab wired reflexes 2 in chargen; you can always upgrade it later, and having only one IP will hurt you.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jul 26 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 26 2010, 06:11 PM) *
He's not, he's talking about the future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We're all talking about the future here; it's in 2070. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 26 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Advocatus Diaboli

Your face is talking about the future, Doc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Bruises!

He has no choice, he already spent all his essence on limbs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) There's no room for Wires.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.