Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stacking Form Fitting Body Armor
jakephillips
post Jul 29 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,852

I was wondering if your teams all stack their armor with form fitting body armor.
Most of my human team members who are body five so could wear 10 total points of armor wear armor jackets 8/6 and then stack FFBA 2 under that 4/2 that you can stack with regular armor and it only counts half it's rating for encumbrance.
So your body 5 human is wearing 12/8 armor. It makes your buff human very resistant to physical damage from firearms which would have to do 12 boxes of damage to do physical damage.
I am not saying you should not do so I am just asking if most of your groups do the same.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Jul 29 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

I'm not so worried about the Bod5+ anything... they'll find ways of getting tons of armor no matter what you do and the increase is more marginal the more armor they already have.

It's the Bod2 decker or mage you need to worry about... and in those cases especially I don't see a problem w/ FFBA as it allows them to sneak in an extra point or 2 over 4 a much bigger and needed increase.

Also, while damage may stage down to stun... as some of the trolls have learned... stun can't be healed magically limiting them to only first aid... and unless pain editors are common... unconscious is far worse than dead if it gets you captured and interogated.

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jul 29 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,119

And a lot of body 5 metahumans do not have a stun damage track to keep up. Yes, they mostly take stun damage, but they drop unconcious rather soon if hit too often.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 29 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Well, no. Unconscious is, by definition, never worse than dead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) At worst, it's *as good as* dead.

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jul 29 2010, 04:32 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Well, dead only kills you. Getting knocked out, dragged into a holding cell and interrogated may kill you in the process and your entire team after that, depending on what intel the interrogators got out of you...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 29 2010, 04:33 AM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

How's that worse? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Sign me up for the stun damage, please!

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jul 29 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

You don't think the death of not only yourself, but a lot of people who might be your friends is not worse than just your death...?

+Quote Post
Stingray
post Jul 29 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,002

Industrious Line Winterized Coverall 6/5
FFBA (Full Body) 6/2 (counted as 3/1, when counting pemalties)
Helmet 1/2
PPP Shin Guards (discreet version) 0/1
PPP Forearm Guards (discreet version) 0/1

That is 13/11 armor (counted as 10/10 as penalties are concerned)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
The Grue Master
post Jul 29 2010, 04:42 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,799

I personally adore FFBA and encourage everyone who *doesn't* have a body higher than 4 to get some immediately. It's at the very low end of the body stat that people start to feel they should just wait in the car and I believe that discourages them from participating. I'd much rather they get enough armor to soak a few stray rounds and tell them to keep under cover most of the time. However, if you run in a less gunbunny heavy setting, FFBA might lead to powergaming or imbalances.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Jul 29 2010, 05:14 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Liked it when it first appeared in Street Samurai Catalog. Still like it. Evens things up a bit for those with a low body and over all it only works out to 3 more dice (FFBA level 3 adds 3 dice beyond body limit) which works out to about 1 extra hit on average. Sure, more often it's stun damage rather than physical but from a GM perspective this means more story opportunity as team mates must rescue those captured rather than just leave them. Plus bad guys wear it too. It's fine and I've never had any real problems with it.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Jul 29 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Falconer @ Jul 28 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I'm not so worried about the Bod5+ anything... they'll find ways of getting tons of armor no matter what you do and the increase is more marginal the more armor they already have.

It's the Bod2 decker or mage you need to worry about... and in those cases especially I don't see a problem w/ FFBA as it allows them to sneak in an extra point or 2 over 4 a much bigger and needed increase.

Also, while damage may stage down to stun... as some of the trolls have learned... stun can't be healed magically limiting them to only first aid... and unless pain editors are common... unconscious is far worse than dead if it gets you captured and interogated.

Stun actually CAN be magically healed. There is nothing in 4a that prevents it.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Jul 29 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

I am not saying you should not do so I am just asking if most of your groups do the same.
most of my professional or smart or non-suicidal chars do it
I'm (among other ) in one Group where we play H&K Special Ops/SWATS and its mandatory to wear Formfitting Armor

Hough !
Medicineman

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Jul 29 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jul 29 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Stun actually CAN be magically healed. There is nothing in 4a that prevents it.

Nothing except p.253 "Magical Healing":
The Heal spell can be used to repair physical injuries

Oh and the description text of the Heal spell also clearly states it only heals boxes of physical damage.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jul 29 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I removed it from my next campaign.
The problem I had was that players who didn't have Arsenal or didn't bother to skim the books for such things had, at best, body*2 armor (when they didn't choose a lesser armor to fit their character style better) while those who did had something like 6+(body*2-3)+2 armor.
This also meant that civilians and low-end opposition had far less armor than the PC.

So I had two options:
1. Forcing players to skim the books to get optimal gear (or help them do it)
2. Removing FFBA and PPP from the game

Since I'm aiming at a 'back to the roots' feeling, I chose the latter.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 29 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (Blade @ Jul 29 2010, 10:45 AM) *
The problem I had was that players who didn't have Arsenal or didn't bother to skim the books for such things had, at best, body*2 armor (when they didn't choose a lesser armor to fit their character style better) while those who did had something like 6+(body*2-3)+2 armor.

That second function is wrong and overly comlicated, someone with FFBA has at max:
Ballistic Body*2+3
Impact Body*2+1
Thats not much, considering they probaply paid atleast douple what those without arsenal did for a meager +3/+1 armor.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 29 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (jakephillips @ Jul 28 2010, 07:41 PM) *

I think it's a no-brainer. FFBA and PPP were specifically put in there to stack with other armor. Asking if a player uses them is like asking "Does your street samurai use a smartlink? Does your mage use direct combat spells?"

The only thing I dislike about them, from a crunch perspective, is that they are an exception to the general rules about armor stacking. I would rather have had armor stacking being handled in a less simple-minded way to begin with, so that people would have a variety of options for armor stacking.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 29 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 29 2010, 11:11 AM) *
The only thing I dislike about them, from a crunch perspective, is that they are an exception to the general rules about armor stacking. I would rather have had armor stacking being handled in a less simple-minded way to begin with, so that people would have a variety of options for armor stacking.

Yeah just having all armor stack would make for a much better game and much more variated armor choises for characters.
FFBA could still be counted as half as well Zoe's second skin.
There are allready ways to get max armor for most almost all body values, allowing everythink to stack would only increase varity allowing people to shooce armor pieces based on how they want their character to dress and not on what gives me the max armor.

+Quote Post
Mordinvan
post Jul 29 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 15,912

QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Jul 29 2010, 01:33 AM) *
Nothing except p.253 "Magical Healing":

Oh and the description text of the Heal spell also clearly states it only heals boxes of physical damage.

Unlike previous editions, there is nothing saying magic can not do it, there may not be a spell to do it NOW, but it can be done.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jul 29 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Jul 29 2010, 10:56 AM) *
That second function is wrong and overly comlicated, someone with FFBA has at max:
Ballistic Body*2+3
Impact Body*2+1
Thats not much, considering they probaply paid atleast douple what those without arsenal did for a meager +3/+1 armor.

For ballistic:
A full FFBA has 6 armor for 3 encumbrance.
This leaves them with (body*2)-3 encumbrance left, which means a (body*2)-3 armor.
They can then add PPP to get a few more "free" armor points (that's where the +2 comes from, but that's a mistake, you can't get more than +1).
That's how I get 6+(body*2)-3+1 = body*2+4

For just 1800 nuyen which is far from expensive for a +4 bonus.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 29 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Blade @ Jul 29 2010, 11:47 AM) *
For ballistic:
A full FFBA has 6 armor for 3 encumbrance.
This leaves them with (body*2)-3 encumbrance left, which means a (body*2)-3 armor.
They can then add PPP to get a few more "free" armor points (that's where the +2 comes from, but that's a mistake, you can't get more than +1).
That's how I get 6+(body*2)-3+1 = body*2+4

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)
PPP also counts against the body*2 limit, so i dont now what the hell are you talking about.

+Quote Post
Smokeskin
post Jul 29 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,995

I honestly see no reason whatsoever why Arsenal should introduce both FFBA that stacks and only adds half encumbrance, and PPP stuff that adds armor without counting encumbrance. I just discarded the special rules for them, they count like everything else. I don't add armor ratings for encumbrance though, I only look at the used armor rating. I am perfectly ok with someone wearing FFBA or armor clothing to protect them if they have to take off their armor jacket.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 29 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Please guys for all that is good in this world, read the damm rules first before whining about them.
Every point of armor from PPP counts against encubrance.

+Quote Post
Smokeskin
post Jul 29 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,995

It says very clearly that These armor pieces do not count as separate armor for purposes of encumbrance.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 29 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #24

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Jul 29 2010, 12:15 PM) *
It says very clearly that These armor pieces do not count as separate armor for purposes of encumbrance.

Yes not as seperate armor, but as addition to your other armor.'
Still doesn't allow you to get more then Body*2 armor.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jul 29 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #25

Runner

Ok, so it's just there to make sure you get that +1 armor point you need to get your body*2+3 armor rating.

But I still think that FFBA is kind of a "+3 bonus to armor for having read Arsenal".

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.